The Jungle, Explored...

sroberson

Hmm...never figured I would be blogging on the internet knowing full well the issues with disclosing parts of my life to the world but eh. I will attempt to keep the negative junk out of my 'blogging' but I am a generally negative person...so I apologize if anyone out there is reading.

Where: Southern USA

Job: IT Analyst/Admin

Studying: Computer Science

Got to accomplish a pretty big feat today if I say so myself...I bought a house! Rather proud of it after spending about half a year to prepare my credit score and hunt down the paperwork and house to buy. The problem I suppose with this huge purchase is that it went slightly out of my budget and now having to apply for another job...at Target. Not the worst thing to happen, but I figured after I left that job when I was barely 17.5 years old I would never have to worry about coming back. Maybe I can pick up a better job than cashier this time...Just need to hold on long enough to pay for the classes that my scholarship isn't covering anymore (ironically, my saved scholarship money turned into downpayment on the house)

Many look at me like I am insane that I bought a house, but realistically it makes financial sense in today's economy. I got to lock in on an incredibly low interest rate for the mortgage that the country may not see for decades to come. If I can fill the rooms up, I could save hundreds per month if not charge the other roommates enough to cover my side completely (mwahahaha!)

I am kind of glad I took the time to join this site and become pretty active in it. It has been a great way of keeping me from feeling loney and allows me to indulge more in Star Fox fandom without having a bunch of people looking at me like I need to grow up lol.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sroberson

• Luminous-red

• Peter

• psy_commando

Looks like you're pretty successful in life. Congratulations on buying a house!

Many look at me like I am insane that I bought a house, but realistically it makes financial sense in today's economy.

I still don't know why people would think that you would be insane. Yes, a record number of people in America are renting instead of buying outright but with housing prices at insanely low levels (as well as interest rates) it makes sense to lock yourself in - just don't spend more than you need because when interest rates go up a lot of people are going to end up being screwed.

Thanks Peter, I just know some point down the future I am going to look back on my life and think "Man, that was something you pulled off" lol. For some reason or another I feel like I put myself in a competition with the rest of the world to see what I can accomplish - something I have been doing a bit of soul searching about. Either I have to stop "competing" and be happy with what I have, or find another big thing to accomplish.

Thinking i'll officially move in next weekend when I can get help with renting a U-haul to move (thank God its within the same city).

User, I have seen quite a few articles actually explaining that renting is more expensive than buying a house. I guess the reason why the demand for houses is so low is because its difficult to get the loans (or maybe the job market is too unstable?). I only managed to get a mortgage because of a co-sign I did. If I can bring myself to dealing with other roommates I could come out on top of this situation and hopefully paying off the house in 20 years or less. Unless I am misunderstanding, I won't have to worry about interest rates going up since my mortgage is not based on the adjustable interest rate - its a flat rate of 3.75%....which is pretty low considering after I locked in, the rate went up to 4.25% or so. I suppose if the interest rates are going up, then the price of housing might go up too which could in turn increase the value of the house if I sell it. I wish I understood real-estate a bit better haha.

Well, it would hurt your credit, but on the other hand, if you need to move out later in life and can't sell it, you can just rent a new house and leave.

Congrats; that's certainly one helluva purchase! Count yourself lucky though; prices for houses are some of the lowest they've been in years, and now is possibly one of the best times to make a move on a desireable place. Living in Queens, NY, I can certainly attest that renting is extremely expensive versus paying off a morgatge; the average, decent 1-bedroom apartment rents for around $1200+ around here.

I'm 19 years old, just 2 years younger than you, yet you gave me a lot to think about what you just did, I see the reasons of why you bought a house, and I think you are right, buying one before prices rise, thinking about investing in buying a house rather than renting , as for myself, I haven’t even thought about all that, it makes me think that I’m wasting precious time when I need to start thinking about the future and what is convenient to think and do now rather than having to deal with it when it becomes more complicated.

Anyway, it’s nice to read more about you; it certainly was interesting to see what you achieved. =3

Peter,

I don't think selling the house will hurt my credit, unless I am mistaken. Now if I miss a payment that will certainly hurt it.

Crazyfooinc,

Thank you! The articles I read did mention how renting is still a cheaper option in some bigger cities where housing or condos are ridiculously expensive. I find it almost insane to hear that an apartment costs that much, but I guess that's the difference between the northern bigger cities and the southern smaller ones (Central Arkansas) - the cost of living is very different. The apartment I was paying for was $700/month and was two bedroom.

Luminous,

It means a lot to me hearing that actually. As I mentioned earlier I feel kind of locked in a struggle competing with the world and trying to prove something. I usually feel like im the one that is wasting time somehow and not taking advantage of all of my options - it gets a bit stressful living under the pressure I create for myself. Hearing from someone that they are impressed means a lot. I wouldn't stress too much about wasting time lol. I have this thought in the back of my head that I am 'settling down' too fast and too soon. If I achieve so much when I am still so young, what will be left later down the road? I haven't quite found the answer to that question yet. Always planning for the future but not really living in the present. I think it was the Dhali Lama who expressed confusion over the state of mankind:

"He sacrifices his health in order to make money.

Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;

the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;

he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.â€

It leaves me something to chew on and attempt to make sense of. I can't tell you if the way I am doing things is the right way or not yet, but I can suggest balancing living life as a teenager should - living in the moment tempered by the realization that there is a long race to run in life and plenty of things to see if you run the right way. I was once told by someone "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey"

I've gotten myself into a bit of a fun project of trying to hack together a little program that will alter FireFox browser into StarFox browser :3.

Cheesy and serves no real purpose other than to alter the appearance of the icon and automate instillation of some appearances ("personas") for the background...but I thought it would be a fun tribute to StarFox. Sadly it seems, there are far too few personas to choose from online :/

Someone should put their mad art skillz to it and give some more variety

Hmm...Wondering if I can put together a different build altogether for FireFox and disseminate it as open source. That would be interesting...Otherwise it might be a plugin. Will have to work/think on it more.

UPDATED: AHA! I feel so smert. Changed my mouse icon to an Arwing without using some silly trojan ladden program from the interwebz.

UPDATED: AHA! I feel so smert. Changed my mouse icon to an Arwing without using some silly trojan ladden program from the interwebz.

That`s nice :), an arwing mouse, they should actually program this page so your mouse turns into an Arwing wen your`e here.

That`s nice :-), an arwing mouse, they should actually program this page so your mouse turns into an Arwing wen your`e here.

I get the feeling that is possible using maybe javascript, but I am by no means a professional on that kind of stuff lol.

I am currently having a hard time trying to figure out how to make the mouse icon larger since the Arwing is kind of hard to see. Going to work on a Wolfen mouse too...I probably should try and come up with a Windows mouse options scheme that will be based around StarFox. Wish I was a graphic arts person, it would be a lot easier to come up with different icons haha

It`s possible, you just need to program it on the html code, i have seen many pages do that, however, the real problem as you say, it`s making the arwing not a visual distraction or making hard to choose things, but it`s still a good idea you got there.

1334907-312e302e302e38322d3737_large.jpg

I'm in your jungle, stealing your red buff!

Hey sroberson that StarFox browser mod sounds pretty awesome man! You should snap a pic!

I have been scouring the internetz for a StarFox PS3 theme but it seems there isn't one to be found. If you get bored and you like that kind of stuff you should check this out sometime:

http://www.ps3-theme...3-theme-builder

I'm obsessed with collecting game themes on PS3.

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to plant ideas in your mind that the PS3 is awesome and you should get one.

66187e42-5691-439d-a4aa-9bf9f106bd29.jpg

I think that maybe some people would buy something like that if you finished it. Keep it up! :-)

It`s possible, you just need to program it on the html code, i have seen many pages do that, however, the real problem as you say, it`s making the arwing not a visual distraction or making hard to choose things, but it`s still a good idea you got there.

I actually looked this up and it is very possible and almost downright easy... Check this out! http://www.v7n.com/forums/web-design-lobby/9236-how-do-i-change-mouse-cursor-my-website.html

It looks like its just a couple lines of simple html code (which I didn't expect) or some form that I am unfamiliar with. If DZ is interested it could be pretty easy to accomplish.

Hey sroberson that StarFox browser mod sounds pretty awesome man! You should snap a pic!

I have been scouring the internetz for a StarFox PS3 theme but it seems there isn't one to be found. If you get bored and you like that kind of stuff you should check this out sometime:

http://www.ps3-theme...3-theme-builder

I'm obsessed with collecting game themes on PS3.

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to plant ideas in your mind that the PS3 is awesome and you should get one.

I think that maybe some people would buy something like that if you finished it. Keep it up! :-)

Lol, thanks for the encouragement. I think my current project is just making a couple neat Windows mouse icon schemes based around StarFox. As I said earlier, I managed to make a little icon that makes my default mouse pointer an Arwing, and I managed to get it bigger!...but...for some reason its a little weird clicking on stuff. Apparently the default location for a "mouse click" to occur isn't in the top left of the "box" it is in (Hard to explain, but the best I way I can try to explain is the very bottom of the icon I am using for the Arwing is the part I have to use to click on things as opposed to the point of the Arwing). Once I get some experience in on successfuly making those I might work on putting together the StarFox browser :D. I will have to look into PS3 themes sometime and see what I can do.

PS back to Falco: I will consider getting myself a PS3 'shortly' :P . I first have to move into the house and re-evaluate my financial situation and feel comfortable with putting out some money for a PS3. I got a bit shaken up today when my boss pulled me aside for an evaluation of my performance.

I have an even better idea for you to net even more cash. Make a StarFox browser, with the Arwing as the cursor, and then, make a StarWOLF browser, with the Wolfen as the cursor. I'd buy something like that, and I'm not even one of those 'hard-core' fans. So, imagine the people that are completely OBSESSED with StarFox, and the money they'd fork over. Just an idea though. :biggrin:

Also, on the topic of your boss evaluating you, don't worry about it. Try your hardest, and if he didn't have anything good to say, regard it as a meaningless conversation. If he had positive things to say, take it as encouragement and keep moving forward!

I have an even better idea for you to net even more cash. Make a StarFox browser, with the Arwing as the cursor, and then, make a StarWOLF browser, with the Wolfen as the cursor. I'd buy something like that, and I'm not even one of those 'hard-core' fans. So, imagine the people that are completely OBSESSED with StarFox, and the money they'd fork over. Just an idea though. :biggrin:

Also, on the topic of your boss evaluating you, don't worry about it. Try your hardest, and if he didn't have anything good to say, regard it as a meaningless conversation. If he had positive things to say, take it as encouragement and keep moving forward!

Lol, I do have a Wolfen picture I pulled from online that I might be able to come up with something. I just wish I could find some program or something at all where I could make .cur and .ani files for Windows cursor icons...but it seems the internet has no idea what these things are. I am partial to calling up Microsoft and giving them a big WTF? because if Google can't answer my questions then I am pretty sure there shouldn't be an answer lol. I hear Adobe photoshop or other Adobe products can do it, and I would be ok with shelling out the money to get the product but I can never get a straight answer from the software vendor websites.

The evaluation overall really wasn't that bad, I got mostly average ratings and some suggestions on how to improve - but it really makes me nervous. I will take the constructive criticism and hope I can change for the better, but still there is a nagging feeling they are now really watching me or something (Darn! No more research on playing with my StarFox/StarWolf browser!)

Blog-o-the-day:

Decided I would procrastinate on doing that homework assignment for Computer Security till today...and succeeded in not finishing it and only find myself creating excuses for why it is stupid (ok, honestly it is pretty stupid trying to create a buffer overflow vulnerability on an ancient copy of Ubuntu - and especially stupid when I realized I have to have root access to the computer to install the vulnerability...that will grant me root access...). Follow the bloody instructions and use the code that is provided and I get nothing but debugging warning errors and messages warning me I am not allowed to do something so colossally dumb as purposefully install this vulnerability (How dare you tell me I cannot run assembly commands?!). Hopefully I can still manage to pass the class, I am working on getting the heck out of Computer Science in the Fall and maybe study something else. Since joining SFO I have been playing with the idea of studing some digital art (I blame contributors like Myu, but its a good kind of blame). Just seems like a much more fun thing to explore where all of my frustrations and complications can be largely attributed to my drawing hand not being good enough.

Spent time messing around looking for StarFox wallpaper for my computer (figured I might be able to roll it up into some package to release when/if I make my browser) and strangely couldn't find many high resolution images to use. Sad face. Can't really do much about that other than petition others to share the wealth. I might be able to make the personas for FireF-...ermm...wait...StarFox browser though.

Made at least some fun in playing around with Windows - changed the default image for when you log onto the machine tp some StarFox stuff (Krystal...awww yeaah..)

Blog-o-the-day:

Decided I would procrastinate on doing that homework assignment for Computer Security till today...and succeeded in not finishing it and only find myself creating excuses for why it is stupid (ok, honestly it is pretty stupid trying to create a buffer overflow vulnerability on an ancient copy of Ubuntu - and especially stupid when I realized I have to have root access to the computer to install the vulnerability...that will grant me root access...). Follow the bloody instructions and use the code that is provided and I get nothing but debugging warning errors and messages warning me I am not allowed to do something so colossally dumb as purposefully install this vulnerability (How dare you tell me I cannot run assembly commands?!). Hopefully I can still manage to pass the class, I am working on getting the heck out of Computer Science in the Fall and maybe study something else. Since joining SFO I have been playing with the idea of studing some digital art (I blame contributors like Myu, but its a good kind of blame). Just seems like a much more fun thing to explore where all of my frustrations and complications can be largely attributed to my drawing hand not being good enough.

Spent time messing around looking for StarFox wallpaper for my computer (figured I might be able to roll it up into some package to release when/if I make my browser) and strangely couldn't find many high resolution images to use. Sad face. Can't really do much about that other than petition others to share the wealth. I might be able to make the personas for FireF-...ermm...wait...StarFox browser though.

Made at least some fun in playing around with Windows - changed the default image for when you log onto the machine tp some StarFox stuff (Krystal...awww yeaah..)

So you study programming?, it`s interesting to hear you have assignments for that and also that you want to do some digital art, because im doing both things in my career, having design and programming, right now im working on Java code for my Object Orientation Programing Class.

As for the browser, i just imagined, the classical Firefox red panda logo being replaced with Corneria with an arwing fliying over it leaving a red trail. =3

Well, aside from everything but the Ubuntu part, I had no idea what you were talking about. I guess that's good, you're the expert! ;) As for schoolwork, what works for me is 'getting down to business.' You sit down, say, "No matter what, whether there's an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, or I die in this very f*****g spot, I WILL GET THIS DONE." At least, that's what I do when I complete my homework. Everyone has a method. :)

Well, aside from everything but the Ubuntu part, I had no idea what you were talking about. I guess that's good, you're the expert! ;) As for schoolwork, what works for me is 'getting down to business.' You sit down, say, "No matter what, whether there's an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, or I die in this very f*****g spot, I WILL GET THIS DONE." At least, that's what I do when I complete my homework. Everyone has a method. :-)

Haha, it really sounds a lot more fancy than what I really know about it...which isn't much. I am by no means an expert! I guess best way I can explain is modifying the system memory by filling it with 'no operation' commands until the address space for the program stack reaches the program that creates the vulnerability. I will have to spend more time studying it so I can do better on the exam since I didn't do this project :nervous face: . I glanced over it once when studying operating system basics, but that was a year ago.

I wish I had the drive to make myself sit down and focus on homework like that, but I think senioritis really kicked in and I started realizing that I am kind of disinterested in the stifling environment of learning something I am not concerned with learning. I had more fun and learned much more today at work studying Cisco routers and network redundancy protocols today to try and pitch it to my boss than I would sitting in a class and hearing a teacher drone on about a topic.

Luminous,

Weeelll...My degree tells me I am supposed to be studying programming! Lol. I actually like studying networking, computer hardware, system/network security, and other IT related things. I wish I had a mind for programming, but unless I am dead set on reaching some end goal, I just get kind of turned off by it. If I get myself to download the source code for FireFox I might have some fun with pulling it apart and modifying it for the cause of making something as nerdy as StarFox browser haha (It will be interesting to see how it is at least partially programed using CSS, I figured that was only a website form design). Gah, I never liked Java. Never liked the idea of the programming environment, how it runs on a computer, its seeming memory leaks, etc. I recognize its a pretty industry standard programming language and has a lot of potential but I just can't get myself to learn it and would prefer another language. In reality I don't like it because I fail pretty hard at object oriented languages :(

For the browser idea I was actually thinking the exact same thing for the logo :) . Only I figured I would use a white trail behind the Arwing kind of like what they did with Assault...Unless I could get a cool Wolfen graphic that didn't look to small, then I would go with a red tail.

Well, you sure know more about computers than I do! Think of it this way: Just a little longer, and you're done. Forever. No more school. It'll motivate you to get it done.

Well, you sure know more about computers than I do! Think of it this way: Just a little longer, and you're done. Forever. No more school. It'll motivate you to get it done.

Lol, I try to think of it that way but I guess I just get crippled by my inability to care. I'll just have to buckle down and focus harder. Only got 5 more classes to go after this semester and i'll be graduating in the fall :D

I guess I should put it that way, "graduate in fall graduate in fall graduate in fall" It sounds so much better than saying "Homework due tomorrow Homework due tomorrow Homework due tomorrow".

Bloggin-time!

I managed to take a more proactive approach around work today, is exactly what they requested of me in the evaluation. I just have to figure out a way to keep it up. I was going to spend time and effort studying Cisco routers and pitching that to my boss, but when I heard about the incredible cost it was to implement them when we could use free, industry standard software...I switched sides again. Kind of sucks because I was hoping I would develop myself into a role where I spearhead the projects at hand. Guess I could go back to studying firewall/routing rules that nobody else seems to understand and the routing redundancy protocol that I am pretty much the only one aware of. Spent some time today studying writing batch scripts to edit registry entries (I was thinking of putting together a quick program to change the background of the Windows 7 login screen, for FREE, and NO VIRUSES!). Problem I face is, playing with registry entries and my lackluster programming skills is an appetite for destruction. I need to try and work on it in a virtual machine. Haven't gotten around to play with FireFox source code, but I keep staring at the developers page.

Finally got some supplies for the house I bought. Going to polish and wax the wood floors maybe tomorrow! It will probably be long, tiring, and tedious as I am supposed to buff the wax into the floor...and I will have to do it manually. Got my pseudo-official move in date changed again because I haven't been able to get a car to haul stuff in. Maybe the weekend after the next, after I get a washer and dryer too haha.

Now! To catch up on some fanfiction! :D

Lol, I try to think of it that way but I guess I just get crippled by my inability to care. I'll just have to buckle down and focus harder. Only got 5 more classes to go after this semester and i'll be graduating in the fall :D

I guess I should put it that way, "graduate in fall graduate in fall graduate in fall" It sounds so much better than saying "Homework due tomorrow Homework due tomorrow Homework due tomorrow".

Bloggin-time!

I managed to take a more proactive approach around work today, is exactly what they requested of me in the evaluation. I just have to figure out a way to keep it up. I was going to spend time and effort studying Cisco routers and pitching that to my boss, but when I heard about the incredible cost it was to implement them when we could use free, industry standard software...I switched sides again. Kind of sucks because I was hoping I would develop myself into a role where I spearhead the projects at hand. Guess I could go back to studying firewall/routing rules that nobody else seems to understand and the routing redundancy protocol that I am pretty much the only one aware of. Spent some time today studying writing batch scripts to edit registry entries (I was thinking of putting together a quick program to change the background of the Windows 7 login screen, for FREE, and NO VIRUSES!). Problem I face is, playing with registry entries and my lackluster programming skills is an appetite for destruction. I need to try and work on it in a virtual machine. Haven't gotten around to play with FireFox source code, but I keep staring at the developers page.

Finally got some supplies for the house I bought. Going to polish and wax the wood floors maybe tomorrow! It will probably be long, tiring, and tedious as I am supposed to buff the wax into the floor...and I will have to do it manually. Got my pseudo-official move in date changed again because I haven't been able to get a car to haul stuff in. Maybe the weekend after the next, after I get a washer and dryer too haha.

Now! To catch up on some fanfiction! :D

It is interesting to hear what projects are you working in, to be honest im not too familiar in what are you developing, i do have programming, but is more focused on design and game development,rigfht now im working in Jcreator, however Java is a little bit trickier than C and im afraid to fail the course, but learning and practicing is all left to do.

So you graduate this fall?, congratulations!, that sure is a way to keep yourself motivtated with homework =3.

As for your house, cool to see your`e preparing everything, little by little that house will be finished, hope it is not too much work.