To infinity, and beyond!

InfinitySquared

I thought I'd try my hand at this journal thingy.

First, some details:

-I live in northern Virginia. More specifically, a rather curious part of the world known as Loudoun County, which is really where the South ends and the North begins. I call it curious because it's almost like one of those places you see on TV. Endless cookie-cutter suburbs with sprawling identical McMansions and dumb kids straight outta Malibu's Most Wanted. I'm not exaggerating when I say there is nothing to do here. I'll try to do my best to avoid becoming SFO's resident Whiny Rich Kid. 

-I'm a musician, and I mainly play the piano, and occasionally the harpsichord (we actually have a harpsichord at school, for no particular reason), Hammond organ, cello, viola, cymbals, xylophone, and I'm notorious for being the loudest ukelele player in the world :-P . I play lots of stuff, mainly rock, ragtime/jazz, videogame music, romantic-era music (ie: Schubert, Brahms, Debussy, etc.), and recently Baroque (Bach and Scarlatti). I can't improvise or play-by-ear to save my life, though.

-I have pretty much anything and everything on my iPod. No joke.

-I'm an introvert (which seems to be en vogue, since I see a lot of self-described "introverts" on the internet), but I do have a couple decent-sized groups of close friends. Sadly, most of them are on vacation (we decided to rent out ou-never mind), so I've mostly spent the summer suffering from severe boredom. 

-I'm notoriously quick with insults and dirty jokes, to the point of being almost a legend at school.

-Life's pretty much a moving target for me. My interests change so rapidly that I can't even keep up with myself sometimes :D

So....yeah, that's about it.

Welcome to SFO, by the way! It's really a great place, so don't let some things fool you! ;-}

Music!! All those instruments. :o If you have any videos or whatever, you ought to post them!

And who needs friends? You can be your own best friend, right? :-P

Journals are cool, so long as you remember to post about things that happen... unlike me, heh..

I've got some videos, but most aren't "up to snuff", since I can't find any angles that look and sound good (upright pianos are notoriously  difficult to record, since most of the sound goes into the wall and/or gets boxed in with all the panels). I would just use my phone for the camera work and use my computer and mic to record the audio, but since my piano's all the way down in the basement, it's just way too much of a hassle to move all that back and forth.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a free piano on craigslist and putting it in the spare room down the hall, which I've kinda turned into a gaming room and I could easily run the mic cables to my computer without moving out (long cables FTW). However, I'm not going to even dare trying to justify that to my mom (who insists that the room should be a guest room on the very slim chance that we have overnight guests), let alone push a piano up a flight of stairs. Also, free pianos are usually free for a reason :P

Journals are cool, so long as you remember to post about things that happen... unlike me, heh..

Don't expect me to update this one often, either ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed a software update that basically accidentally my computer. Long story, but luckily I've got most of the HD backed up on an external drive. Also, my brither's offering me his old 1TB drive (which is twice my old drive's capacity!), so it's not all bad.

Our town decided to do fireworks on the 5th of July (because it's apparently $20k cheaper on the 5th 0_o), and I helped out at our band fundraiser there. Basically, me and some other kids pulled a wagon around the lake selling overpriced candies and trinkets. That day, I realized that my brother's joke that you can tell someone's ethnicity by their car (White=BMW, Range Rover, Honda, Cadillac; Colombian= white Mercedes or Nissan; Indian=old black BMW Lexus or Mercedes; African-American=Escalade or CR-V; Peruvian=beaten up old Privia or Taurus; Saudi/Asian=Acura or Audi, etc.) was in fact true. The only exception was an Indian gentleman in a blue Maserati who kept trying to talk me down to $2.50 for a $3 lightup necklace for his kid -_-. I feel terrible for writing that, but may God strike me dead if I'm not telling the truth! You can't make that stuff up.

Other than that, it was a pretty awesome fireworks show. I'll post some pics when I get around to it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got accepted into Longwood University and I got a job at the local music store in town. Yayz

• 4 weeks later...

Updates:

-I've just finished up 3 weeks of Band Camp, where I'm doing pit percussion (vibraphones and marimbas). Spending 9 hours every weekday in one room with the same 4 people really takes something outta ya! Luckily, there's only one nutbag (the captain) and the other two kids are some pretty awesome people. 

-I'm getting my driver's license on the 29th, which is just before the deadline for parking passes at school (a whopping $200! 0_o). I kinda put it off more than I should've, tbh. Car-wise, I was going to get my brothers' BMW 750, but my older brother wrecked the transmission trying to drive it like a manual (i.e.: constantly shifting gears when he didn't need to, which wore out the transmission over 5 years). To be fair, it was pretty old. My dad bought in 1999, then gave it to my brother when he started driving in 2005, and then my other brother got it when he turned 16 in 2010, so it was gonna go sooner or later. Instead, I'm getting my brother's '09 Honda CR-V, which is an OK car but far too big for my purposes (for the record, so was the BMW!). The fact that I go to a school where a lot of kids get brand new Acuras and Benz's as their first car also probably factors in (the girl next door got a freaking Porsche 911 for her birthday, I'm not kidding!), and the BMW was still a pretty snazzy car for its' age. The CR-V has lock problems and my brother's boyfriend's dog chewed up some of the leather, but least it doesn't have the oh-so-pleasant odor of sex and vodka that the BMW did (deughh). My friend's dad is selling an '07 Mercedes for $9k, which would be a perfect balance of cool and practical if I had the dough. My parents aren't the kind of people who just give their kids gobs of cash on a whim, although maybe I could get enough $$$ if I trade it in. Oh well, that'll come in due time, I'm sure :-)

-The job's not going too well. The store is ungodly overpacked, almost nobody comes in, and my manager can't remember my name. My coworker is some snotty d-bag who goes on and on about some shitty underground, and I'm quoting here, "technical post-post-hardcore groove baroque" metal band he's in and yells at me for weird stuff. With any luck, he'll make it big and then pull a Cobain. For all his stereotypical scenesterness, he is a pretty talented guitarist. I thought it'd be a fun summer job since I'm a musician, but this is just mind-numbing and depressing. 

-One of my friends introduced me to Five Nights at Freddys (ou Cinque Soirs chez Freddy pour les Francophones! :-P) last week. Who needs sleep?