Nintendo Switch impressions and general discussion

SF Redd

As most people reading this probably already know, Nintendo announced their new console recently: the Nintendo Switch. If you haven't already, I recommend that you go and watch the announcement trailer.

Watched it yet? Great. I will say that when we were getting rumours about the NX and all the various aspects of it, I was a bit sceptical, but now that I've seen it in action, I'm hopeful. If I can play the Skyrim Special edition on the go as shown in the trailer, it's an instant sell for me. Even more so if it supports mods(side note, how likely do you think that will be?).

One think I am wondering though is how using one half of the controller will work in multiplayer will work, or if it even will for some games.

So what are your thoughts? This could make for a good discussion, I think.

Personally, I was jumping with excitement, and partyin' with some Sonic Generations for over an hour's total.

Besides the obvious graphical fidelity of the system, I think Nintendo's getting everything right for it, from the look of the hardware, to the name, to the advertising. All we need now is a good showcase of all the games they are offering at launch, plus games they're working on for the future, plus updates as to the battery power, and price.

I currently don't have a problem with the look of the controllers. The Pro controller reminds me so much of the Wii Classic Controllers that I love, except now, it's finally updated, and far more usable. The main controller is unique. I am so glad they included soft handles for the combiner thingy that we saw on first part of the video. To me, because of that, it's looking to be a lot more comfortable of a controller, and I'll probably find myself using it just as much as the pro controller.

All in all, I am beg the system for next years Christmas, cos for f*ck sakes, it's Nintendo, but now I have a feeling that when I have it, I am going to enjoy the ever living sh*te out of the system.

Oh, my gosh!!! I just saw the trailer of this new console yesterday, it was amazing!!! Once again, my mind has been blown!!! Nintendo has outdone themselves again!!!

• Like 1

I'm eargerly awaiting tech specs on the Tegra fork they're using for this thing. With the fact that it's actively cooled and that the chip is Pascal-based we can expect some pretty absurd performance. I'm a little disappointed that the base station doesn't offer backwards compatibility, and that there's no interoperability with DS games, but that may have been a bit much to ask. That being said, it's an interesting and exciting concept and I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

The tech is an interesting aspect of the system. I hope for the sake of the console itself that it's a modification of the Tegra X2. If it's more similar to the X1 in terms of power, then that might be a big turnoff for major 3rd party developers.

I like the idea of being able to play all my favorite handheld series in HD and on the big screen. For that alone, this is really rad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Provided that it has enough games that make the investment worthwhile, and doesn't have an insane pricepoint, I could see it being quite fun to play with.  I'm glad there's a variety of controllers offered as well.