How do we remember SFZ & SFG?

The VGM Lover

What do we, as a community, think of these two games?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Star Fox Zero?

• Absolutely great! Best out of them all!
    • Pretty good! A worthy addition to the franchise!
    • Not bad, but could've done more for the franchise.
    • Eh. Undecided.
    • Not too good. Should've been given more time before release.
    • Pretty bad. A lousy addition to the franchise.
    • Absolutely terrible! Worst out of them all!
  2. 2. Star Fox Guard?

• I love it! Best spin-off ever!
    • I like it! Great first spin-off of the franchise!
    • Not bad, but should've had more done with it!
    • Eh. Undecided.
    • Not too good. Should've been cooked a little more.
    • I don't like it. Lousy first attempt at spinning the franchise.
    • I hate it! Worst spin-off ever!

The one we wanna "delete", huh? From putting things in bad hands, to the drastic decision on "resetting", as well as bad timing (Iwata's passing), this is one chapter in Starfox history we want to try our best to forget, or at least make it impact our history less. The Wii U, like any other console, had some ups, like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker, but errors like this are probably why it was so hated. Many may not know this, but Platinum put those Starfox assets in Bayonetta 2 without even passing it through Nintendo. If it were some fangame, they'd sue the pants off of the owner, but since it's Platinum, they don't *just* let it slide, but, heck, they give a precious project like Starfox in their hands, as if they did the right thing, and are giving good examples for future game producers. And knowing the nature of the Bayonetta series, we know that all female character in Starfox, which are already criticized for futile reasons, would be even more criticized, since they'll make Starfox the same way as they would for Bayonetta. For this reason, I am somewhat thankful for Krystal's removal, but it seems ironic, and even unacceptable in a way. What is so wrong with having such an amazing character as her in the game, even as a cameo? What makes her any less than Katt, or Fox, or Bill, or any other character? The same goes on for Fay, Miyu, Fara, and so on, so forth... More ironic than that is when Platinum says: "We love Krystal, we'll do something for her..". And there goes that one Smash Bros. slot. And Guard. The Starfox Edition of "Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland". It sucks as much as Zero itself.

Now analyzing games only: Zero sucks. If I could bury all the copies, I would. Character design looks awfully scary, a Sonic Boom trend, if you may: Falco, and Fox, especially, look like a child's nightmare. Fox's design, especially in Command, looks professional, yet friendly. Heroic, but not "jerky". Not with Zero, however. He looks like he hit the gym waaaay too much, his face (Foxy, what big teeth you have!), ironically, reminds me of the Big Bad Wolf. Yes, that was a pun. Laugh. Falco also looks kind of scary to me, so imagine a 10-year-old playing this... Peppy looks like he was victim of the Phase Distorter from EarthBound (so much for AU, tho...), we could say the same for Pepper. And now for bosses: or they're excessively cheesy, or they're poor knockoff of past bosses. Now, my favorite example: the Dodora. When I saw what Platinum did, I felt like crying (I may actually had). There is a reason the Dodora didn't look like this on the SNES:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starfox/images/0/07/Sf-dodora2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070908195108

It is called "Epic 3D Game for a 2D Console in 1993", which is *not* applicable to the Wii U. We see people like Undying Nephalim do better jobs than Platinum. Game storyline was a re-whatchamacallit of 64. Wow, the excitement is killing me! Bring on the Krystal RPG already, Q-Games!

Now for "Slibby's Wrenchyland". In a vast sea of characters, they choose Slippy. Slippy. Slippy. Even Yaru could result in a better subseries than Slippy, and people beg for a Starwolf or Krystal exclusive game for ages. And they seriously choose Slippy?! Yup, there goes my hope for the gaming future.

So there you have it. A rant from a penguin who left the community twice due to these 2 stinkin' games until the dust cleared up. There is more to criticize, but I'm better off not doing so before I smash the computer. Well, let's hope January is Blue January, it's all a kitsune-pair-loving penguin can do.

• 2 weeks later...

godddamn geo calm your tits girl i don't even hate Command or Assault that bad lol

also the character designs were fine, Fox has been devolving into a chiuahua since Command and Zero isn't doing anything different there. And don't talk shit about Slippy, he deserved a spin off game better than Krystal ever will :V

Anyway, Zero was flawed but good. Dual screens was a needless gimmick that sometimes felt cool when it worked but most of the time was ignorable. Motion aiming however was fantastically tight, I liked it a lot. Levels were flashy and cool, but ultimately a bit shallow. It was in essence a repeat of 64 without providing anything new to make up for the 19 year difference between it and its greater ancestor, which I think led people to judge it too harshly. When Zero is at its best, its the best the series has been at times. Seeing old stuff from Starfox 2 and the original game make a comeback was also a treat, but ultimately its empty calories so to speak: tasty and sweet but lacking in substance. Zero could have been great, but it was not. I think a reboot was what the franchises needed, but Zero didn't reboot HARD enough. It needed to expand on 64 rather than just recreate it with a new paintjob and some bells and whistles, and on that end it failed.

As for Guard, Guard is a hella lot of fun honestly. Its a simple concept that delivers a lot of fun and replayability, and I really would like to see it included in future games. For what it was, it was really good and tightly made, and made great use of the WiiU screen.

12 minutes ago, Robert Monroe said:

godddamn geo calm your tits girl i don't even hate Command or Assault that bad lol

also the character designs were fine, Fox has been devolving into a chiuahua since Command and Zero isn't doing anything different there. And don't talk shit about Slippy, he deserved a spin off game better than Krystal ever will :V

Now, now, let's not get too hasty. Everybody deserves a spin-off as much as the other person, but Geo? He's kinda right. You need to stop putting your wishes and demands above everything else, and be a little more objective when taking a look at these two games, especially Guard. Thank you!

Slippy has been with the franchise since its very inception. Krystal is an immigrant from an unrelated spinoff game that got frakensteined into a Starfox game. I think that gives him a little more priority of importance, just saying :V