The Future of SF-O

DZComposer

My vote goes for MK to take on DZ's position and to have OneUnder and Vydrach as the assistant admins if they are ok taking the role. Afterwards, restructure the mod positions. Remove everyone else who used to be on the staff as they are no longer active.

If we're doing it this way then mine's for Lone.

Lone's split off a bit and formed his own micro-community on discord over the past few years and if the talk he gave me on my first few days in said social circle is any indication, he's capable of making the level-headed community-management decisions necessary to keep a place like this running. Furthermore, he's also technically compitent enough to run and maintain a server, and well-ingrained enough in the community to know who to reach out to in the event he needs help. 

Lone's been around long enough to know whose who and is more than capable enough to get the job done. I fail to see any logically justifiable reason to hand the community-keys over to community newcommers with negligible forum-presence when there are able-bodied and willing individuals of competent-to-greater the skill necessary to keep somewhere such as SF-O running well within the long-installed userbase of the community.

• Like 1

• Owner/Technical Admin

I would love to say that I would volunteer to take over, but I do not think have the time/energy to run it. I'm not that experienced behind the scenes with the technical aspects of the site, at least compared to DZ. I do have my own dedicated server, however I do not know if it is powerful enough to support this site.

I'm not even sure I could 100% afford it. The registration for the domains are easy.  

Doesn't mean I wouldn't help in whatever means possible, no matter who takes over the reins. I do also have some mod experience with this site and I'm willing to do it again.

Honestly, my vote also goes to Orange or Lone. In addition to what Scourge said, they both care about this place, truly madly deeply. Above all else, that's really what's important here. It's one thing to have all the background knowledge or seniority in the world, but if this site's to really go on and keep growing as a community, there needs to be enthusiasm from the top down. 

Honestly why not have MK, Lone and Orange all do it? Someone needs to be the webhost ofc, but the others can be assistant admins in running the community as a community.

As for who will be the webhost, I'll leave that to whoever is the most capable and competent at doing techy webshost shit :Y

• Like 3

Honestly, regardless of who takes the reins, I just want this place to continue on and keep growing. This place, for myself and countless others, has arguably played a pivotal role in shaping who I am today, even though I'm not as much of an oldfuck nor was I ever the most active member here. Now, I can't really say I care much about my old asshattery being preserved, but I can't help but think of the younger members here who are currently making those solid friendships and discovering new stuff. It'd just be a crime to strip them of that same sort of community that I was lucky enough to stumble into. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Monroe said:

Honestly why not have MK, Lone and Orange all do it? Someone needs to be the webhost ofc, but the others can be assistant admins in running the community as a community.

As for who will be the webhost, I'll leave that to whoever is the most capable and competent at doing techy webshost shit :Y

It sounds like a nice idea, as long as all 3 of us can get along with most decisions.
I've seen places with multiple owners, and as far as I can tell, it seems to be going well on each site.

• Like 1

• Steve locked this topic
  • Steve unlocked this topic

Honestly I'm game with working along side MK. I like that plan.

• Like 2

Good, I am okay with someone else running SF-0 instead of you DZ.

Gonna miss you on this site tho(If you are not returned to this site ever)

6 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

Honestly I'm game with working along side MK. I like that plan.

Me too. Now lock this bad boy, this a done deal :)

i would just like to remind our apparent new triumvirate of sadistic totalitarian overlords that as a Trusted Internet Personality(tm) i will be very useful in rounding up malcontents to slave away in their underground salt mines and when said triumvirate inevitably decays into a vicious backstabbing civil war i will definitely make it my business to figure out which one of you will be Augustus and side with that one c:

• Like 3

At Discord, Steve added another good idea.
Still 3 owners, but one is on the technical side (server control, software control, etc.), one is on the front end (managing the site, maintaining peace, etc.), and one is the... eh... I forgot about what the third person should do.

• Like 1

"There needs to be a main tech savy admin, a toughass mod admin and a content admin, each one with the appropiate mod team."

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dr. Orange said:

"There needs to be a main tech savy admin, a toughass mod admin and a content admin, each one with the appropiate mod team."

Who, you?

72f21d943c8d1d287886aae3b876a02e.jpg

But I do agree, there needs to be a Magnificen Seven or Avengers to assemble in times in need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

Thanks for the reminder. (´・ω・`)

On 3/10/2017 at 9:00 AM, Robert Monroe said:

7 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

I'm down for this. MK's got the technical knowledge, Orange has built a relationship with the community, and I've got some ideas on how to keep the site full of fresh content. I think any of the 3 of us can generally fill any of these 3 roles too, so if anyone needs help, the others can support. This will also prevent a situation where a site admin isn't available, since I figure between the 3 of us we'll have nearly 24/7 availability, especially with MK in a different time zone.

If this is the plan we'd like to move ahead with, I'm super down.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

I'm down for this. MK's got the technical knowledge, Orange has built a relationship with the community, and I've got some ideas on how to keep the site full of fresh content. I think any of the 3 of us can generally fill any of these 3 roles too, so if anyone needs help, the others can support. This will also prevent a situation where a site admin isn't available, since I figure between the 3 of us we'll have nearly 24/7 availability, especially with MK in a different time zone.

If this is the plan we'd like to move ahead with, I'm super down.

If Orange is actually located in Zimbabwe (note: I have no way to verify that), then the 3 of us already have all time zones covered.
I know from experience, once Nintendo Co. Ltd closes, Nintendo of Europe opens, and once they close, Nintendo of America opens, and this circle repeats itself.
So it's maximum coverage, basically.

3 hours ago, MKGirlism said:

If Orange is actually located in Zimbabwe (note: I have no way to verify that)

Can confirm, Orange resides in the valley at the base of Mount Nyangani in the northeastern region of the country. His internet is delivered, via donkey, by the megabyte.  The entire operation is funded by donations from Nigerian royalty thanks to their lucrative email endeavors.

________

I'd be quite content with a three-leader setup comprised of MK, Lone, and Orange, for the reasons so eloquently outlined above. With a combination of community familiarity, lasting legacy, and technical prowess, the proceedings seem to have a reasonably high chance of going smoothly. 

• Like 9

• Owner/Technical Admin

We shall see where this leads. l'm sure SFO will be just fine.

i like how the longer this thread goes on the more admins we propose to have

anyway i would just like to remind our Sinister Shadow Senate of One Hundred Admins, Forever May They Reign that as a Trusted Internet Personality(tm) i will be very useful in helping to round up would-be traitors and dissidents to toil endlessly in the deep places of the world, at least until SFO inevitably declines into barbaric warlordism, at which point i will be very useful to whichever future admin/warlord is most interested in punishing enemies by boiling them alive or feeding them to venomous insects or making them watch Adam Sandler movies or something suitably cruel and savage

• Like 3

I would highly suggest no more than 3 admins, and even that's pushing it for SF-O's current size.

Back when Mr. K and I co-owned the place, he handled the site content and I handled the forums and server maintenance.

Power-sharing on the site aside, though, someone still needs to hold the domain name and hosting.

I can offer somewhat of a solution that I do not feel is all that great, but could I guess provide some comfort so I will throw it out there: I could retain ownership of the domains, and whoever sets up the hosting could just give me the DNS details. Domains are cheap enough that I wouldn't mind. Of course the drawback is that if anything needs to change you would need to find me.

• Like 1

Eh, I can easily do the hosting and domain ownership at once.
As you said yourself, if anything happens, we'll need to rely on a person who perhaps won't be around as much, otherwise.

And another plus part of transferring the domain ownership: The more domains my registry system holds, the higher the discount I'd get on all current and future domain names.

Yeah DZ if you haven't the time better move that over to MK. It makes it easier on all parties.

The domain is figured out, hosting check, three admins. I think we're set up for greatness.

And any one of those admins can support the site's twitter page, or even the Youtube channel if they so desire, as well. I think being able to do that would be a huge plus for driving traffic and support over to the site.