Miyamoto says Nintendo wants to make Star Fox anime

VulpineMedia

It was just mentioned in passing in a shareholder interview and nothing else, so it's far from guaranteed that such a thing will happen. Still, it's cool to see that he's just willing to mention such a thing.

The relevant part of the interview:

Q7: Regarding product video, are there any plans to bring back past content like Kirby anime on BD, or old games on DD for console/mobile?

A7: Kimishima: We’ll look into investing toward film. We want to increase opportunities for Nintendo IP & guide consumers w/ HW=SW synergy. Regarding Kirby, we’ll take your valuable opinion into consideration.

A7: Miyamoto: We hold the Kirby IP and it’s growing in Europe. It’s selling in Spain; watched in places w/out game hardware. We want to make anime for Pikmin, Star Fox, Yoshi, etc. and distribute it freely, or integrate into games.

• Like 2

At least Star Fox was mentioned by name.  That's pretty good in my book!

• Like 2

At least Star Fox was mentioned by name.  That's pretty good in my book!

Agreed. That fact alone should quell the "Nintendo just wants Star Fox to die" fears I seem to keep hearing about.

Well, it unfortunately looks like that interview may have had a slight mistranslation. According to another person that looked at the original transcript, Miyamoto was referring to pre-existing videos, like Star Fox: The Battle Begins. Their translation states:

Miyamoto: We hold the Kirby IP and it's growing in Europe and it's selling in Spain well. We can sell the visual products even in areas where gaming machines cannot be sold. We MADE anime of Pikmin, Starfox, Yoshi etc. and distribute it freely, or integrate into games.

Sorry about the false alarm.

Well, if they were to make a SF anime, and if it were to be like that terrible vid they made for SF Zero then -- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do us all a favour, Ninty, and give your money to A Fox in Space.

Straight up tell me what was wrong with that video.

I want to know what was bad about that beautiful work of cinematic art.

• Like 3

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the way the animation moved.  The models look very "choppy" in motion, like theres frames of animation missing between movements.  Feels stiff and unnatural.

Everything else was spot on though, woulden't mind another even with that complaint.

The animation was a little odd, but I think that was a stylistic thing that sort of worked.

I loved the anime thing, even if it was kind of silly.  My only complaint was the lack of Star Wolf, but obviously, its scope just wasn't that big.

• Choppy animation, what happens when everyone is CG. I'm no expert but if I remember, CG in most anime is never that good
  • Plot was in no way tied to Zero despite having the name. Literally nothing from this was ever reflected in game, which you could easily say this was false advertising due to it.

• Plot was in no way tied to Zero despite having the name. Literally nothing from this was ever reflected in game, which you could easily say this was false advertising due to it.

What?

The plot is very obviously tied to Zero.  They even fight the Corneria boss at the end of it.  It's obviously intended to give backstory and context to the game to spur interest. Calling it "false advertising" is pretty outlandish.

What?

The plot is very obviously tied to Zero.  They even fight the Corneria boss at the end of it.  It's obviously intended to give backstory and context to the game to spur interest. Calling it "false advertising" is pretty outlandish.

Too bad will probably never know what Pepper said to Peppy at the end of the video :(

What?

It's pretty obvious it isnt, but i'll go more into detail

• None of what happens throughout the short is ever referenced in the game as much as it tries to appear that way, one big example being the lure bomb that was used, the other being the buildup that implied both Pepper and Peppy were shady and didnt want Fox to know what actually happened. Pepper specifically tells Peppy to not allow Fox to figure anything out.

Now watch this and the answer is pretty clear

I don't see how your link supports what you're saying--it seems to me the whole 'portal' thing is exactly what Pepper was talking about with Peppy?  Am I missing something?  It seems to be, again, very directly related.  Poorly executed, but still related.  

I'm not disputing that you can find things to nag on, that Nintendo made pretty big mistakes, or that they could have done things much better.  But if you want to have a reasonable discussion, you shouldn't make such strong statements that just aren't backed up by the evidence.

• Like 1

I don't see how your link supports what you're saying--it seems to me the whole 'portal' thing is exactly what Pepper was talking about with Peppy?  Am I missing something?  It seems to be, again, very directly related.  Poorly executed, but still related.  

I'm not disputing that you can find things to nag on, that Nintendo made pretty big mistakes, or that they could have done things much better.  But if you want to have a reasonable discussion, you shouldn't make such strong statements that just aren't backed up by the evidence.

The short tries to imply that Pepper isnt as good as you think he is, and Peppy is in on it. Despite this buildup it was never implemented in the game itself. If that scene before venom was supposed to be it, ten that has to be the biggest cop out possible.

• Andross conducted illegal experiments that lead to a large explosion one day that got him exiled to Venom, Pepper assumed he wouldnt be able to do anything there but turned out to be dead wrong. This would lead to James' death as you know what happens from there. 64 had portals that warped you to specific points, it's also assumed Pepper knew this was a suicide mission for James

vs

• Andross grew mad with power for no reason because of some portal development that Pepper just chucked him in there, James somehow being involved. Now with the series being sci-fi, portals as a plot device is not a good reason as they should've had this already.

What is ironic is Command actually tried doing this, but it's more ironic because Krystal was the one who brought up his past experiments prior before he went insane. Thank god Command isnt canon, not like anyone would consider it.

Okay. Sure. The plot didn't live up to the expectations set in the short. But I disagree that "poor execution" means "no relation," and your statement "literally nothing from this was ever reflected in game" is demonstrably false.  I think those statements are just a bit too strong to make.

• Like 1