The many flaws of Star Fox Zero

Commander D

During the pre release and the post release of Star Fox Zero, there was quite the storm brewing. It was at least a year prior that many hoped this would be the triumphant return to the series, but in the end Star Fox Zero ended up being the biggest flop in the entire series selling much worse than Command, a game that many not only refuse to acknowledge but was later confirmed to not being canon by Cuthbert himself. Though this is not the focus of this topic.

During my play through of Zero, I noticed a ton that was wrong about it and to save a ton of explanation this will tell you exactly what's wrong with it. If this looks familiar to you, this is based on the Other M image where it points out all the flaws without using the story as the main reason, which speaking of this seems rather similar dont you think? Many thinking people didnt like Zero because of the controls only and many thinking people didnt like Other M because of the story? Boy talk about sharing something in common!

Well anyway this is it, this may come off as pretty harsh but for what money I put down on it I really wasn't too thrilled about it at all. At least the patch was worth it??

I ended up selling it in less than a week, then when the month passed I then saw the games result which it really sold that poorly

I later found out in a video the same kind of info was brought up while also bringing up things I didn't pick up on, I strongly advise giving this a watch.

SFZisMediocre.jpg

Most of the missions individually in zero are well executed IMO.  The main issue I have is that it doesn't feel like there's enough content to justify it making it a full price game nowadays since almost half the missions ate those short ones that had you earn just 1-2 medals each vs five.  Other than those things I'm happy with playing the game once I get the controls down.

Maybe you're focusing too much on the things that are bad, and not focusing enough on the things that are good? It's enjoyable. Fun gameplay, good additions to 64's story, good music, good voice acting. My biggest complaint with it is that it was too short.

Also, for the record, Dylan Cuthbert's word means no more than yours or mine in regards to dictating what is and isn't canon. He has nothing to do with the series now.

"Pick up and play" is right, except there's hardly a reason to even do that. The game's missions overall are only somewhat exciting, and has NOTHING on the original Star Fox in that regard. The only reason I go back is the GODLY training menu music (Ridiculous I know, but to me, that's the greatest loop Nintendo has ever put out in their whole lives! XD), and a couple of missions, the most intense ones like the second Colony mission, Sector Alpha and Sector Beta. Oh, and they really shoulda done more with those training missions, which indeed are essentially challenge missions from the 2nd row. I love that roadmaster, even with my crappy left stick, and I clamor hopelessly wanting to see more from it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old thread is old, I know, but since Ive just started this game I will finally throw in my two cents.

I got this game (in Japanese) brand new, as the double pack, for 1350yen (about 10 pounds or 15 dollars).

For that price, I can safely say I am satisfied, but I am VERY glad I didn`t pay full whack for this.

"Pick up and play" is definitely how I would rate this. But, even more than that, it really feels like an old arcade game in all it`s pros and cons. The pros being that you can jump straight into it. The con being that it really isn`t worth the original retail it went for.

This title should have been released as a budget game. 20 pounds maximum. At that price it would have been viewed as an experimental niche game and as such would have been rated better across the board. I think at that price, even fans on here would have been a tad more forgiving. We wouldn`t have seen it as an attempted revival. Just a small stop-gap before a hopefully REAL Star Fox later down the line.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I don't think I even opened or played the pack-along that came with SFZ.

From the reviews I have read of it, the other game is a pretty fun diversion. I`m sure I`ll enjoy it when I eventually get into it.

Played a bit more of SFZ yesterday. The other vehicles were fun to play as the first time round but I`m not sure if I`d enjoy playing them on mission reruns again and again. Time will tell.