Last U.S. Combat Brigade Heads Home From Iraq

fox1235

I read in another article that they're just going to go cover the Mexican border instead. Anyone willing to confirm that I'm not crazy and I really read that? |D

I heard about this on the radio on my way to work. Long over due and it's about damn time.

I read in another article that they're just going to go cover the Mexican border instead. Anyone willing to confirm that I'm not crazy and I really read that? |D

Last I heard I thought they (the feds) were going to invest like...10 million something to train new USBP guards for that?  They specialize in that stuff better and it's probably most cost efficient.  All those extra soldiers that are now out will be probably be shipped off to some random country in turmoil.

I hope this isn't just the official story for the media O_o

Probably is given the 50,000 armed troops they're leaving behind.

I gotta say, about damn time we're out of there.

We still got troops in Afghanistan though, the Middle East is far from done.

About time somebody did something right....Now lets finish this war and get rid of Osama...I still wish Ronald was still president...This dang war would've lasted a week if he was here...Remember that prick that kept sending us threats? Ronald had that guys family killed and he kept his mouth shut...(Sorry to sound OT)

There are still 50,000 troops there, and they will be there until late next year. They will still be doing combat missions. This is merely a draw-down, not a withdraw.

The best solution to Iraq at the moment is:

Kurdistan.

North Iraq.

South Iraq.

3 states. One for the Kurds, one for the Shia, and one for the Sunni. Kurdistan would be the northernmost part, North Iraq would extend from the southern Kudistan border to Baghdad and would be Sunni, and South of that is the South, which would be Shia.

There are some complications to this, though. The oil is in the south, for instance, and the Turks would not be very happy if the Kurds got their own state.

Guest Julius Quasar

Probably is given the 50,000 armed troops they're leaving behind.

That's true, they left 50,000 troops behind to "help the new army" or something like that. 

Well, I'm sorry to say this, but although we had a victory in Iraq, it was a hollow victory, IMO.

Off topic a bit here, but

I wish we could get out of Afghanistan and just nuke it and Pakistan

with some radioactive warheads.  Even Osama Bin Laden couldn't survive that.

There are still 50,000 troops there, and they will be there until late next year. They will still be doing combat missions. This is merely a draw-down, not a withdraw.

"Let me say this as plainly as I can: By August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end."  --Obama

They'll be there in a supportive role for the Iraq army which would include training, giving advice, equipping Iraqi forces and supporting civilian operations but won't see direct combat unless the entire armed forces of Iraq collapse during an invasion or something.

"Let me say this as plainly as I can: By August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end."  --Obama

They'll be there in a supportive role for the Iraq army which would include training, giving advice, equipping Iraqi forces and supporting civilian operations but won't see direct combat unless the entire armed forces of Iraq collapse during an invasion or something.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100819/ts_alt_afp/iraqunrestmilitarytroops

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100819/ts_alt_afp/iraqunrestmilitarytroops

Alright there's still a LITTLE bit of possible combat (special operations) when it comes to counter terrorism and the like but they aren't unilaterally doing any "main" combat, as that's beyond the scope of their new mission.

Technically, you could probably also say that even if they weren't doing commando like missions they would still be in combat nonetheless to defend themselves if they need be.

Regardless, 95% or whatever of their role in combat has concluded.

Guest Julius Quasar

The best solution to Iraq at the moment is:

Kurdistan.

North Iraq.

South Iraq.

3 states. One for the Kurds, one for the Shia, and one for the Sunni. Kurdistan would be the northernmost part, North Iraq would extend from the southern Kudistan border to Baghdad and would be Sunni, and South of that is the South, which would be Shia.

There are some complications to this, though. The oil is in the south, for instance, and the Turks would not be very happy if the Kurds got their own state.

Heh, not a bad idea, but it probably wouldn't happen.