Ripping the models from SF: Assault

Thomas Draco

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted here last... like years, but that's another story.

I've been trying to rip models and textures and such from Starfox Assault because I wanted to use the 3D models as better references for drawings. Plus, having actual full 3D models of craft besides the Arwing, like the Cornerian and Venomanian cruisers, fighters, and battleships seen in the first level. If it's been done already, although Google search finds no records of people trying to rip models from Assault, please stop me. I have enough hobbies to deal with.

Basically, the only thing I have ripped is the Cornerian cruiser, as seen in that picture, and I only have the model at this point.

Also, I should add that the tools I am using are 3D Ripper DX, Blender, and the Dolphin emulator.

Another thing: I really have no idea what I am doing. Besides ripping the models and actually getting them into Blender, I have no experience in the 3D modelling world, which means applying textures to the models will be a slow process. I managed to "apply" the texture for the Cornerian cruiser once, but it looked like a blurry mess on the model for whatever reason.

So, here's what I would like to ask this forum: Would you be willing to help? At this point, what I really need is someone who knows how to apply textures to models properly, and from the last time I was here I know there was a few people who could do that.

Also, anybody with completed save data that is compatible with Dolphin for Assault would be great too.

To finish, basically my current goal is to rip all non-Aparoid vehicle models from Assault. The Cornerian fighters, cruisers, Arwings, Great Fox, Andrew's Army's ships, fighters, the cool looking mecha, etc. If it's shown we can effectively rip the models and texture them, then we could move on to other enemies.

If you need anything from me, feel free to ask.

Thank you.

• Like 3

I can try to help you out if you want. I've been working with 3D modeling/texturing for a few years.

Not too good with Blender and its texturing features, though, so I may use my own tool set. But Blender is fine too. If you want to send me something just PM me and I'll see if I have what it takes. :3

Also, what do you really want to do with them? Just be able to look at them in detail in any view you want/etc so you can get better reference?

I also know there were quite a few rips of SFA models. I myself have quite a few of the characters. (I think, I should go look and make sure) Don't remember where I found them, though. Maybe no one ever ripped the other types of things you're wanting to, though. I'll do a little research on that too, I suppose.

• Like 1

I can try to help you out if you want. I've been working with 3D modeling/texturing for a few years.

Not too good with Blender and its texturing features, though, so I may use my own tool set. But Blender is fine too. If you want to send me something just PM me and I'll see if I have what it takes. :3

That's nice to hear, thanks.

Also, what do you really want to do with them? Just be able to look at them in detail in any view you want/etc so you can get better reference?

Basically that, maybe even translate the models into Gmod or something, since I do use Gmod to help my drawing. Plus, uploading more detailed pictures to Wikis and even this site for information purposes would work too. Like the enemy mecha in the first level. It moves so fast that I never really got a good look at it during regular gameplay. Only after playing it (at 15 FPS) on Dolphin I got a good look at it.

Beautiful, ain't it~

Plus, model ripping reveals how parts of the game were made. For example, it turns out that not all the ships on the first level are full 3D models. Most of the ones in the background are just billboards with textures slapped on them.

I also know there were quite a few rips of SFA models. I myself have quite a few of the characters. (I think, I should go look and make sure) Don't remember where I found them, though. Maybe no one ever ripped the other types of things you're wanting to, though. I'll do a little research on that too, I suppose.

Yeah, I know a few of the characters were ripped, but from my searching experience, nobody bothered with any other things.

• Like 1

Basically that, maybe even translate the models into Gmod or something, since I do use Gmod to help my drawing. Plus, uploading more detailed pictures to Wikis and even this site for information purposes would work too. Like the enemy mecha in the first level. It moves so fast that I never really got a good look at it during regular gameplay. Only after playing it (at 15 FPS) on Dolphin I got a good look at it.

http://i.imgur.com/rKCjb.png Beautiful, ain't it~

Yes, it is. :D

Yeah, I know a few of the characters were ripped, but from my searching experience, nobody bothered with any other things.

Yeah, you're right. It was just the main characters, and I remember a rip of the Blaster model.

And yeah, it is cool to see how things were made.

Anyway, just send me a model w/ textures and I will see if I can work it out for you. I may even be able to help you rip some. I'll have to look into that too.

• Like 1

Anyway, just send me a model w/ textures and I will see if I can work it out for you. I may even be able to help you rip some. I'll have to look into that too.

This is all I currently have.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ko28hrjgjz4cn1q

It's the Cornerian cruiser from the first Imgur link I posted, codenamed it Angel because why not?

• Like 1

Alright, thanks. The model you sent me had its texture coordinates all wrong, so the UV map just wouldn't cooperate, of course. I decided to try ripping it myself and it worked. :o

I used Dolphin + 3D Ripper DX in global monitoring mode, just if you wanted to know.

Now, your model was fine but the UV wouldn't work and I don't know why. It's like it didn't grab that part, or you didn't include something, but I don't know. :V

Ripped models aren't without their flaws texture-wise. This version still seems to look a bit weird in a couple of places. Very small, though. Then again, I'm not sure. *shrug*

This is actually pretty exciting to get into the game's models and textures. I'm kinda giddy going through it all. :D

You should be able to just open this in Blender and it'll appear (as long as you're in textured 3D view) If not, go to the edit mode, press "a" to select all points on the model, UV/Image editing view > go down to the image source and make sure you select the uv map. Blender makes it so complicated just to apply a texture.....

http://www.mediafire...oa118h8nmg8xbt5

And of course, if you still want help and want to work together on this stuff, I'd be glad to in my spare time.

As for a 100% save file, (or whatever) GameFAQs has plenty of them, but I'm not so sure on how to get them into Dolphin.

I also can't get a second GCPad to work in Dolphin to get into a multiplayer game. I'd like to see about ripping some of the stuff in MP.

• Like 1

Wow, nice. And yeah, I couldn't figure out why the texture wasn't being placed on right, this looks way better than I had before.

It sure is pretty, if not a little scrunched up. Regardless it's a start, and it's finally nice to see this ship design in full 3D.

Also, those GameFAQs memory cards don't work, I've tried importing them and they don't do anything it seems.

If anything, I'll try later to rip the mecha, or one of the enemy fighters, and see if I can get a texture applied on my own.

• Like 1

Alright! Good to see it working, and more plans. ;)

Now I'm trying to rip Adventures models… textures have a big problem in this game. Must… make… it… work. C:

• Like 1

Okay, so I've tried using global monitoring, but it seems it only works on 32-bit operating systems. Also, I've been failing to actually get 3D Ripper DX to rip models for some reason.

Regardless, I was able to rip the Arwing model from the first stage, but the UV mapping and texturing is still out of my territory.

The obj file

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmvtomv2kvknrqq

The mtl file

http://www.mediafire.com/?jz2le1vlr8prdjk

• 4 months later...

Just checking in after... months of not doing anything related to this.

Recently I found a program that lets you poke around in the contents of Gamecube ISO files

And I found this: http://i.imgur.com/3eI3w.png

Basically it's all the files of Starfox Assault. Models, textures, cutscenes, music, other data.

However there is a catch: The file types are ones I have no idea how to open or handle, especially since Namco made this game, not Nintendo. 

So yeah, I'm still stuck :(

Anybody know anything about this or can help?

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted here last... like years, but that's another story.

I've been trying to rip models and textures and such from Starfox Assault because I wanted to use the 3D models as better references for drawings. Plus, having actual full 3D models of craft besides the Arwing, like the Cornerian and Venomanian cruisers, fighters, and battleships seen in the first level. If it's been done already, although Google search finds no records of people trying to rip models from Assault, please stop me. I have enough hobbies to deal with.

http://i.imgur.com/c6njH.png

Basically, the only thing I have ripped is the Cornerian cruiser, as seen in that picture, and I only have the model at this point.

Also, I should add that the tools I am using are 3D Ripper DX, Blender, and the Dolphin emulator.

Another thing: I really have no idea what I am doing. Besides ripping the models and actually getting them into Blender, I have no experience in the 3D modelling world, which means applying textures to the models will be a slow process. I managed to "apply" the texture for the Cornerian cruiser once, but it looked like a blurry mess on the model for whatever reason.

So, here's what I would like to ask this forum: Would you be willing to help? At this point, what I really need is someone who knows how to apply textures to models properly, and from the last time I was here I know there was a few people who could do that.

Also, anybody with completed save data that is compatible with Dolphin for Assault would be great too.

To finish, basically my current goal is to rip all non-Aparoid vehicle models from Assault. The Cornerian fighters, cruisers, Arwings, Great Fox, Andrew's Army's ships, fighters, the cool looking mecha, etc. If it's shown we can effectively rip the models and texture them, then we could move on to other enemies.

If you need anything from me, feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Awesome :D

I don't need anything as of yet, but very nice.

What?

I don't need any models, but I like what you've done :)

I don't need any models, but I like what you've done :-)

Good thing I wasn't doing this for you...

• Like 1

Good thing I wasn't doing this for you...

:| uh...sorry. You asked if theres was anything we needed. I meant as of yet, I don't need models, but I liked what you posted. Thats all.

As far as those .dsp sound files, the files we have in our downloads area are those files, except converted to MP3 files. I had a Winamp plugin that could read them, which I then used Winamp to record to WAV. I then batch encoded them with WinLAME.

http://www.starfox-online.net/files/category/18-star-fox-assault-music/

Sadly, cutscene audio has voice and SFX in it.

As far as those .dsp sound files, the files we have in our downloads area are those files, except converted to MP3 files. I had a Winamp plugin that could read them, which I then used Winamp to record to WAV. I then batch encoded them with WinLAME.

http://www.starfox-online.net/files/category/18-star-fox-assault-music/

Sadly, cutscene audio has voice and SFX in it.

Yeah, one of your past conversations about that popped up on Google while looking for if the models have ever been ripped. 

• 3 months later...

Holy hell it's been months. College is intense.

So I finally got around to "obtaining" 3DS Max, in order to see if it worked better than Blender for ripping models from games.

http://imgur.com/a/vnboW

It does.

I have successfully ripped these models from the game and rendered them in 3DS Max. Now I just have to figure out how to tweak some of the models (Like the Cornerian cruisers are lopsided so I may need a better rip of them) and I'll have to try to get the Arwings out next, and I'll have to figure out how to convert these objects into files of their own. Hopefully by the end of all of this I can get them into Gmod where they'll be invaluable art reference tools for me, and fun for anybody else.

• Like 5

Pretty cool stuff, regardless if I do not quite comprehend the technical aspect of it. :P

Pretty cool stuff, regardless if I do not quite comprehend the technical aspect of it. :-P

Ditto that, and to be precise, finally there's some true chance of getting that awesome Arwing into GMod. Keep it up, Thomas. :D

• Like 1

Ditto that, and to be precise, finally there's some true chance of getting that awesome Arwing into GMod. Keep it up, Thomas. :D

The only problem with the Arwing is...

IJzbcBD.jpg

It's a chode.

Apparently it's modelled this way for the on-rails missions, and since you can only see the back most of the time, you never notice how short the fuselage is.

Also the cockpit uses a different texture than the rest of the Arwing, so I had to remove it for now.

If anybody has any Dolphin capatable Assault save files, please throw them my way. Or else I have to play through the whole game.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't the Multiplayer be a quick way to access the "regular" Arwing model? Certainly would be faster than playing through campaign until, say, Fichina...

• Like 1

Wouldn't the Multiplayer be a quick way to access the "regular" Arwing model? Certainly would be faster than playing through campaign until, say, Fichina...

+1 Plausible +1 Confirmed. Perhaps it would. It is. I'll maybe boot up Dolphin with free camera hack to confirm that for him. :V

----------------------

EDIT:

Couldn't get rid of the HUD, but it indeed is different from that one picture you posted. Look:

arwingmp.png

You can thank me later. :V

• Like 1

Yes, but you don't get to rip stuff like this if you stop at Fichina:

gKyP0fw.jpg

Rest of the pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/Rb80k

This fighter from the Orbital Gate level is really the entire reason I'm doing this whole thing, since seeing it back in 2006 made me go "wow that looks cool", and yet there wasn't any fan art of it or clear pictures of it.

I want to change that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ripping models huh? I wonder why no one has hacked wolf from multiplayer into the main campaign missions, like replacing his model with foxes or the Arwings with wolfens?