Chatroom Problems

Hidi

Well, with increased use of the chatroom, I thought I'd create this thread instead of pestering the "higher-ups".

The purpose of this thread is for any problems with the chatroom that may arise, as it does happen from time-to-time. If you have any suggestions too about how to make the chatroom better, please post here too, but within reason.

I think this deserves a sticky, sure.

And the only issue I've had with the chat is that it sometimes won't auto-scroll down when a new message comes in, but that's not a big deal.

The chatroom needs moar dubstep. Other than that it needs like a chat event or something.

Please don't spam; This is a serious thread. Other than that, yes, a chat meet-up may be nice, but I think the TF2 servers already do that. In time, people will utilize this more.

Please don't spam; This is a serious thread.

QFT

So be respectful please. :3

Describe the behavior of the leave button when it fails. Also, what browser are you using? Does it just not do anything? Does it just reload the page? Does it take you to the site homepage (this behavior is the button working properly)?

Every time I have used it, it works.

Not sure if this was just an intermitant issue or what, but the chat icon at the top of the screen wasn't properly displaying how many users were actually in it last night...could cause problems with people actively using it if we think nobody is in it :P

Describe the behavior of the leave button when it fails. Also, what browser are you using? Does it just not do anything? Does it just reload the page? Does it take you to the site homepage (this behavior is the button working properly)?

I use Google Chrome. Firefox has been a little too glitchy for me lately :/

The problem I noted, was that the buttom frequently failed to work, so yes, being broken. The last time it happened I think there were a lot of people in the chatroom, and perhaps that could have something to do with it (But I somehow doubt it).

Edited starting post.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was just an intermitant issue or what, but the chat icon at the top of the screen wasn't properly displaying how many users were actually in it last night...could cause problems with people actively using it if we think nobody is in it :P

That number is generated at page load, so it is not in real-time. To make it real-time would require significant site-wide code changes. Not worth it.

I use Google Chrome. Firefox has been a little too glitchy for me lately :/

The problem I noted, was that the buttom frequently failed to work, so yes, being broken. The last time it happened I think there were a lot of people in the chatroom, and perhaps that could have something to do with it (But I somehow doubt it).

Edited starting post.

What happens when you click the button? Error message? Nothing? Reloads the page?

It is worth noting that sometimes the site gets a little slow, so the button may actually be working.

Also, you can click any of the top tabs to leave the chatroom as well.

That number is generated at page load, so it is not in real-time. To make it real-time would require significant site-wide code changes. Not worth it.

I know it only updates when the page loads, but I was noticing when I was navigating to different pages in the website that it was continuously showing only 2 or so people were logged in when there were much more. Maybe I was just seeing things though. I'll keep my eye out for it if it happens again.

I know it only updates when the page loads, but I was noticing when I was navigating to different pages in the website that it was continuously showing only 2 or so people were logged in when there were much more. Maybe I was just seeing things though. I'll keep my eye out for it if it happens again.

Yes, yes I've seen this too! Good example is it says 2 people in the chat, when there's 10. Although on the forums page it lists that number, and the member names, but it lists numbers who are responding to the chat (It does say ACTIVE users after all!).

As for your question(s) DZ, it recently has been doing nothing, but I have had error messages in the past.

Note: while you can click the tabs, I find it is very slow to realize you have left the chatroom

Could I also bring up that the chatroom does not consistently load on the mobile theme? I found this on my 3DS, but I have been able to load the chatroom there. I'll have to test it again at some point to see if it loads, and what exactly pops up when it doesn't.

IPS knows of the chat scrolling issue. It appears that some Chrome installs are effected, but not all. Best I can do here is wait for a bugfix.

I may start looking for a new VPS host soon. I am becoming less and less satisfied with the performance of this VPS, particularly the database one.

IPS knows of the chat scrolling issue. It appears that some Chrome installs are effected, but not all. Best I can do here is wait for a bugfix.

I may start looking for a new VPS host soon. I am becoming less and less satisfied with the performance of this VPS, particularly the database one.

I guess I can check for updates, or use Firefox. At least you're not telling me to use Internet Explorer :lol:

Oh, I also tried loading SF-O on my 3DS again; no luck with the chatroom, but I yet again forgot to record the error message. It complains about not being able to load the thumbnail for the link, and it refuses to display a text link instead.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I hardly use the chatroom, but when I do, I don't see issues with it.

The scroll problem, a battle that cannot be won.

Something I'd think would be nice is a subtext that tells when users are typing. Like Steam ;)

Please don't spam; This is a serious thread.

Dubstep is always serious business. :P

Ok, I have noticed the random scrolling issue.

Yes I notice it from time-to-time, but it seems to happen primarily when I use the scroll bar, and fixes itself after a while.

I'm also evidencing some disonance between the number of users and their names shown in the main page and the actual number and people who are really in the chatbox.

Yes, this has been seen. I'm not sure if it can be fixed though.

The following issues are noted and answered earlier in the thread. No more confirmations are necessary.

- Scrolling Issues

- Discrepancies between user counts

Let's not beat dead horses.

I would like to update the broken "Leave" button issues. It is occurring as I write/post this (12:17 EST).

So the Leave button doesn't respond, so I tried clicking other links and what-not on the page, even inputting some text into the search bar, and what do you have it? None of them work! What I mean is, all the links on the page didn't respond to any clicking! So I just closed the tab, but that tends to not make you leave the chatroom.

Still using Google Chrome. The chatroom does have some issues with Chrome. One being the "Recently Closed" history system Chrome uses. Access the chatroom that way, and you have all the users displayed there who were there when you entered, even if they're long gone. Sometimes when there's lots of activity the avatars disappear, (Fixed by refreshing the page) but this is my favourite easy-fix one; it's often when Ajc3000fox enters the room, there ends up being two of him. I have not had this problem with any other member.