All Spooked Out

Redeemer

Yep, I'm stuck. I have no horrors left to watch! At least the ones I know of.

You guys know I love horror movies. And by horror I mean scary, demonic, paranormal, thriller, scifi. Please recommend your favourites to me!

Please note, I DO NOT like gore. I don't watch movies like Saw or anything. I don't like movies about how people get brutally killed a la Final Destination or about murderers. I much prefer stuff that's more creepy than anything else. Some of my favourites are:

The Woman in Black

Paranormal Activity

The Grudge (Japanese)

Shutter Island

Silent Hill (probably bias because I love the games :D)

The Thing

Insidious

If anything inspires you from this list, feel free to fire it at me. :3

Edit: I wish this was a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6FKBe1Igg

• Like 1

The Thing

YES!  I LOVE that movie!  I just loved that the special effects, although were good at the time the movie was produced, made me actually cringe a bunch with some of the transformations.  Very gory, but still had me wide-eyed through majority of it.  My favorite scene is where the dead guy's chest just opens up and eats the examiner's hand, then the party has to set the thing on fire.

The remake, though, was alright.  I didn't particularly like the CGI stuff, but it works.  I would have preferred, and I still do, that they remained with the traditional makeup and animatronics like they did for the original The Thing.

I also watched this particular movie ONLY ONCE because it freaked me out this much, and it was White Noise.  Although it was kind of odd, it had me a little freaked out with some of the imagery.  

I would say The Exorcism of Emily Rose, but I'm not too sure about that.  There were a select few of scenes from it that had me shudder a little.  But, I like The Exorcist a little more.

Maybe Hellraiser, but I don't know.

I could name off a few more, but those aren't genuinely scary to me.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen 1408?  That was an awesome movie I think.  I liked the novel a little better, but that's just something that's natural for movie adaptations.  The movie is based off of the Stephen King novel of the same name, and it follows the story of an author who goes to haunted buildings and sites to do research.  So far, he'd never seen anything particularly paranormal about them, and then he gets an interesting postcard from the Dolphin hotel in New York City.  It has a message written on it: "Don't stay in 1408" so naturally, he goes there and asks for 1408.  

John Cusack is in it, and Samuel Jackson too.  

I know a lot of people didn't like Prometheus but I liked it.  Dunno if you've seen that, but if you haven't give it a go.

If you're up for like three hours of really messed up asian horror let me recommend Noroi.

Basically a movie about a lot of -something creepy happens- and -omfg these people are insane-.

It's a found-footage movie type deal, so be warned. It's also quite slow but has some spectacular scenes in it that I think you'll have trouble forgetting.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have seen the Exorcism of Emily Rose and Prometheus, but Room 1408 and Noroi are next on my watch list!

I hear super 8 is a little spooky, although I've never seen it myself to confirm. But if you liked paranormal activity any crapy suspenseful horror should satisfy.

• Like 1

I hear super 8 is a little spooky, although I've never seen it myself to confirm. But if you liked paranormal activity any crapy suspenseful horror should satisfy.

Its good, I liked it. Reminded me of cross between Goonies and E.T. You should see it.

I have to humbly disagree with comparing PA to "any crapy suspenseful horror", because I thought it was kind of unique for what it was. However, 3 was a disappointment to me and I hear 4 is a pile of bullshit. The first two though, I really enjoyed due to the "real like CCTV" perspective (let's not even bring up Blair Witch because that's just insulting), plus the story was pretty interesting.

Also, I'm open to suggestions that are kind of like Rec. I love that series, prefer the originals but the US adaptations were also pretty good!

Edit: I just watched PA4 and it was very disappointing. Also I've seen Super 8, loved that one. :)

Rejoice, Silent Hill fan!

DUDE, you didn't know? I'm like, the biggest fangirl out there and like, preach it to everyone. Man we need to talk more. XD

The Amityville Horror

The Paranormal Activity series (3 movies, if I'm not mistaken..,)

All The Exorcist movies

The Grudge, The Grudge 2

Woman in Black

The Thing

^ yep, these are examples of my favorites :D

Arachnophobia is a good one, cheesie but good.

Uh, how bout The Hills Have Eyes?

Slither is campy. If you like campy horror, there you go.

Blare Witch Project

I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here. I really don't go for much horror anymore. Mainly cos the new stuff is sh*t.

Could give this a listen, haha.

It's a schizophrenia simulation.

Could give this a listen, haha.

It's a schizophrenia simulation.

Bah I get too much of that at my uni, I worked with much of this at my placement too. XDDD

The Creeper? I've heard of that, I'll IMDB it!

Thomas and the Magic Railway.

This movie is so disturbing and insane in so many ways. Never expected it from this.

Thomas and the Magic Railway.

This movie is so disturbing and insane in so many ways. Never expected it from this.

Dude please don't spam my topic.

Fine, I'll be serious for once.

One good horror film I watched awhile back was The Shining. I think I just watched it for the hype behind it at the time but it was decent enough.

Fine, I'll be serious for once.

One good horror film I watched awhile back was The Shining. I think I just watched it for the hype behind it at the time but it was decent enough.

Doh being serious ain't all that bad. :trollface:

The Shining is actually so good. I think the hype is justified, I really loved every second and I was constantly feeling a sense of dread while watching it.

Going to throw a few out there:

Candyman

Halloween (1978)

The Omen (1976)

An American Werewolf in London

The Fly

The Changeling (1980)

The Devil's Backbone

(this one is kind of "out there")  The Mist

[off-topic]

And just for some cheesy, campy, retarded fun:  Maximum Overdrive

[/off-topic]

(this one is kind of "out there")  The Mist

Avoid the movie, they fucked it hard. Read the novel instead. One of my favourite Stephen King stories but g'damn did they fuck the movie up.

Here are some that ive seen: 28 days later/ 28 weeks later (those might be a little to gory for your liking), The Apparition, The Ring, Cloverfield, I am Legand, Nightmare on Elm street, The Sixth Sense, The Haunting in Conneticut, Let me In, Rose Red (Thats Stephen King), The village of the damned, Dark Skies, the Alien series (those arnt really scary but their intresting),Mama, Doom, The Boogyman, Eight Legged Freaks, The Haunting, The Exorcist, Signs, Room 6, and Thirteen Ghosts.

Thats really all i can think of right now.

I'm a really weird person when it comes to seeing violence and gore in media.

I can stomach it in video games and animation because I know it's not real and stuff, but yet when I see it in live-action movies (at least the ones with extreme amounts of it such as slasher flicks) it makes me squeemish and feel sick due to the fact that it looks far more realistic, even though I know it's still not real. :/