Share your Story: Krystal Encounter

LucasJG19

Share your story: What were your reactions when seeing Krystal for the first time in a Starfox game?

Please do not get the wrong Idea. No personal stuff involved in this topic.

The first time I met Krystal was when I was thirteen years old. I was a big fan of Starfox and I still am. But in that time I was expecting to see Fox McCloud in the first part of the game Starfox Adventures. So I was a little dissappointed.

But after I played through the game, I became more fond of Krystal and began liking her character, her qualities of kindess was beautiful and so she is one of my most favourite Characters In the Starfox Series.

That's enough about me. Tell me how it felt when you first met Krystal.

No personal stuff involved in this topic.

Except for your personal story involving the first time you personally saw Krystal.

That semi-pointless digression aside...

First time I saw here was the first Star Fox game I played. I rented StarFox Assault from a local video store as I had known it was sitting there waiting for my attention for years. First I had no idea who she was and as a human being I was naturally opposed to change, but then I figured (subconsciously) that I was a on the brink of becoming a pubescent teenager so I may as well enjoy the new hot fox girl on the team.

Her voice in that game didn't cease to bug me even then, though.

Well the first time I saw Krystal ...

Played the game for like seven minutes. Then Fox came on. I just shut off the Cube and hit Google for a while

"Ya'see ... I just have folders filled and filled with the stuff..."

• Like 2

Disclaimer for this thread;

ac1.png

--------------

I saw Krystal on the internet before I ever got the chance to play Star Fox Adventures.  INTERPRET THAT STATEMENT HOWEVER YOU WANT TO. :panic:

• Like 3

I saw her years before I played any SF game with her aboard. Twas, in a trailer. I can only remember believing it could serve as a refreshing progression to the series. In particular, I found the snippet of the struggle due to her apparent importance intriguing, but then, I realized General Scales greets everyone with a lifting neck hold.

• Like 1

When I played SF: Assault, during the intro. I was completely indifferent. I immediately treated her as a team member. And I did play SF: 64, so I had experience with the series prior to Adventures and Assault.

When I saw here for the first time I was like, "Oh my god....love interest spotted."

Also, Arminius your picture is awesome :)

• Like 1

The train was late.

This was a fairly normal occurrence for the Los Angeles Metro at 5pm on a Thursday. Someone down the line probably picked a fight that held up one of the trains, or someone held the door open and knocked the whole schedule off kilter, or maybe something just simply broke down. Whatever it was, it was hardly out of the ordinary for the train to be late.

But the train was late on not just any day. This was one of the greater LA area's rare and spectacularly disruptive rainy, blustery days, And on a wide open platform only a scant few miles from the ocean and completely exposed to the wet and blasting wind was probably the single worst place to be. Commuters huddled behind umbrellas, only for the wind to change direction and blow a shower into their backs; tourists hid behind whatever was handy and surely wondered where the hell that made-for-TV southern California weather had gone; the occasional grimy homeless person waddled through the wind unfazed by anything so trivial as the weather.

My hand-rolled cigarettes grown from a non-profit anti-capitalist suburban experiment in communal living and harmonious relationships with arthropods couldn't stay lit in the cold, and that gave me a bit of a craving for the sweet taste of a lungful of freedom. My chai latte was already all gone, and as for the banh mi in my sustainable locally sourced Greenpeace knapsack, well, it would have to wait. There was no eating on the station platform, and the smell alone could kill a small horse, so surely it would attract the attention of a cop or two. All of that left me twitchy, hungry, cold, wet, and tired, which is no way to be. No way at all.

So it was a bit of a surprise, in my distracted state, with my chakras misaligned and my mind running on fumes, when I encountered...her.

The first thing I noticed, really, was the smell. At first I thought it was my incense, but I hadn't lit my burner, and I looked around for the source of the unmistakable smell of wet dog.

And I found it, of course. To this day it still surprises me that no one seemed to even notice the strange human-ish creature with a huge puffy blue tail and a face that looked like a cross between a cat and a fox. Or the blue fur all over her body, and the tattered bikini loincloth sort of thing that clothed quite little of her. The helpless look in her eyes drew her to me, like a moth to a flame. Here was a woman--was it a woman?--who needed someone. Who needed me.

"Hi," I said.

She blinked once and vomited, and I knew it was destiny.

--

and that was my first encounter with krystal

• Like 5

God damn. Threadshitting in prose.

That is truly wonderful. A nobel prize in literature is in here somewhere.

• Like 1

they cut you a fat check for winning the nobel prize too, right? 'cuz i'm down with that.

I have no shame in admitting that I got into Star Fox when I was about 12, and by then, all the games had been out for years. I got suckered into the series pretty quickly, but my access to the internet was pretty limited back then. That meant that I was not aware of Krystal's now-infamous reputation on the Internet, and I was obliviously playing each Star Fox game in order, without the Internet's judgment hindering my experience.

I saw Krystal in Adventures, and well...I thought she was going to be a one-time thing. I thought this whole Dinosaur Planet trend would only last in Adventures, and Krystal would disappear along with it, like Tikal from Sonic Adventure. It also didn't help that I literally couldn't understand a word she was saying in the first cutscene in the game, and my naive, uncultured, younger mindset actually thought I had turned on the Japanese audio on by mistake or something. Hearing her shriek "A hosoalot u wuhrcot tajkhojj jawduc!" above the howling winds on her high-flying pterodactyl was one of the most side-splitting instances throughout my history as a gamer. However, I played Assault, and Krystal became my favorite Nintendo Heroine. I liked all the different qualities she posed in contrast to other female Nintendo characters, like Peach or Zelda. She had a British Accent, for one thing, which felt like a rare novelty amongst all the other Star Fox characters with their American accents. She was an active member of the Team, and a Telepath. She was soft-spoken and polite, but could be feisty when she wanted to be...and her weapon of choice was a gatling gun. Krystal had more than redeemed herself in my eyes by that point.

It would only be in the years following as an avid but sheltered Star Fox fan that I would become more aware of Krystal's, well..."status" on the internet. I remember it well---obliviously talking about Star Fox with my friends, and then receiving odd looks and the occasional snigger when I brought up Krystal. They wouldn't tell me why...they just pointed me in the direction of Google Images, and I learned the heinous truth with my own, scalded eyes. I couldn't fathom where any of this nightmare-inducing part of the franchise was coming from---I never found her "attractive" in any sense, any more than I found Carmelita Fox from Sly or Amy the Hedgehog appealing. It was almost sad. The character, up till that point, had proved to be a rather harmless aspect of the Star Fox Series, a romantic interest who had about as much interaction with Fox as Samus had to any emotional depth in Other M.

In essence, my encounter with Krystal the character had been clean, untainted, and relatively positive (she's still my favorite SF character next to...well, you know). My introduction to Krystal the Internet Icon was...almost degrading. As the lone Star Fox fan in my circle of friends, I still get playfully mocked for liking the game with "that furry character" in it. I almost wish Nintendo would give her a less degrading role in the series, and make her less of a stranger to the franchise. Then more people would take her seriously, and both the series and its fans would have a little more respect.

I have no shame in admitting that I got into Star Fox when I was about 12, and by then, all the games had been out for years. I got suckered into the series pretty quickly, but my access to the internet was pretty limited back then. That meant that I was not aware of Krystal's now-infamous reputation on the Internet, and I was obliviously playing each Star Fox game in order, without the Internet's judgment hindering my experience.

I saw Krystal in Adventures, and well...I thought she was going to be a one-time thing. I thought this whole Dinosaur Planet trend would only last in Adventures, and Krystal would disappear along with it, like Tikal from Sonic Adventure. It also didn't help that I literally couldn't understand a word she was saying in the first cutscene in the game, and my naive, uncultured, younger mindset actually thought I had turned on the Japanese audio on by mistake or something. Hearing her shriek "A hosoalot u wuhrcot tajkhojj jawduc!" above the howling winds on her high-flying pterodactyl was one of the most side-splitting instances throughout my history as a gamer. However, I played Assault, and Krystal became my favorite Nintendo Heroine. I liked all the different qualities she posed in contrast to other female Nintendo characters, like Peach or Zelda. She had a British Accent, for one thing, which felt like a rare novelty amongst all the other Star Fox characters with their American accents. She was an active member of the Team, and a Telepath. She was soft-spoken and polite, but could be feisty when she wanted to be...and her weapon of choice was a gatling gun. Krystal had more than redeemed herself in my eyes by that point.

It would only be in the years following as an avid but sheltered Star Fox fan that I would become more aware of Krystal's, well..."status" on the internet. I remember it well---obliviously talking about Star Fox with my friends, and then receiving odd looks and the occasional snigger when I brought up Krystal. They wouldn't tell me why...they just pointed me in the direction of Google Images, and I learned the heinous truth with my own, scalded eyes. I couldn't fathom where any of this nightmare-inducing part of the franchise was coming from---I never found her "attractive" in any sense, any more than I found Carmelita Fox from Sly or Amy the Hedgehog appealing. It was almost sad. The character, up till that point, had proved to be a rather harmless aspect of the Star Fox Series, a romantic interest who had about as much interaction with Fox as Samus had to any emotional depth in Other M.

In essence, my encounter with Krystal the character had been clean, untainted, and relatively positive (she's still my favorite SF character next to...well, you know). My introduction to Krystal the Internet Icon was...almost degrading. As the lone Star Fox fan in my circle of friends, I still get playfully mocked for liking the game with "that furry character" in it. I almost wish Nintendo would give her a less degrading role in the series, and make her less of a stranger to the franchise. Then more people would take her seriously, and both the series and its fans would have a little more respect.

Yea I get what you mean. In fact even the Fanfic that I read about krystal was always the sad type. If it was not that, then it was immoral. So I got to the point where I would write my own fanfic about her. That's what keeps me happy, ignoring the negative that people say and focusing on her good qualities within my fanfic. 

Played Adventures, seen her and didn't think much of her until Assault. Reason being, she was hostile towards Fox. No one has time for that. Lol

Played Adventures, seen her and didn't think much of her until Assault. Reason being, she was hostile towards Fox. No one has time for that. Lol

And then she would become your SF-O avatar for the next 8 years or something.

Funny how things work out sometimes like that, always liked Fox more than her until Assault.

Let me tell you the story of the first time I really got into Star Fox. I had played through SF64 a few times in the past when I had it, but I wasn't very familiar at all with the series.

11PM, practically all lights turned off. My sister had just gotten home with Adventures and I was super excited. My siblings and I gathered around the TV...

Who's Krystal? She was that pink character in SF64, wasn't she? *Google SF history, see spoilers, correct myself, etc* Oh, okay then, so she's just a new character.

WHAT IS THIS LANGUAGE THAT IS A CROSS BETWEEN JAPANESE AND... JASFKASJFASDHA??

WHY IS THIS GALLEON SO ATMOSPHERIC??? DON'T LET IT END PLS.

It ends...... :(

Played it for 15 minutes and got a disc read error when entering the shrine. Planned to exchange it for a better disc the next day and continue, but no, that was not to be. Tried it again, and when the DRE happened, someone in the room had the bright idea to open the disc cover and close it again. Boom, we're playing again.

Krystal becomes damsel in distress, I'm like THAT'S IT??? KRYSTAL IS SO COOL, BUT NOW I HAVE TO PLAY AS FOX... Guess the game will let you swap between them, huh? That ought to be fun. (huehuehue)

After 25-30 hours of playtime on that game, got to the final boss. I then replayed it a couple of times over the years. I'm surprised each time at how well the game has aged, and how enjoyable it still is. <3

... Speaking of replaying, I haven't played through Adventures in quite a while. I've got to go do something about that! Like, right now. :shock:

Also, when I got Assault and saw her in that game, it was just, "oh, hi, Krystal, you're still here"

but when I saw Tricky in Assault I went crazy :D

Let me tell you the story of the first time I really got into Star Fox...

i am very disappointed that this story does not end with you looking at your kingdom 'cuz you're finally there to sit on your throne as the prince of bel-air

have you forgotten your training? have i taught you nothing

• Like 3

but when I saw Tricky in Assault I went crazy :D

When I saw Tricky, I had to ask "Why on earth are you still so mindless ya fool?"

Oh wait, the thread is about Krystal? Well let's see. Turn on Adventures, contemplate if I am playing the English version, roll my eyes at the floating brains, get upset that Krystal was no longer playable, hate on Krystal a bit for giving Fox an attitude after he JUST SAVED HER LIFE.... end of game cutscene >>> Laugh at how tall Krystal looks compared to Fox. Fox gets much pity...Krystal is forgiven for her outburst because she falls for him.

SF Assault: Krystal is an even worse pilot than Slippy apparently. Good thing you totally forgot how to use telepathy to your advantage. "I can't shake them, unbelievable!!!" Yeah....more like unbelievable how helpless you are now....Well at least you went to the ground to protect Fox on Dinosaur Planet/Sauria or something...I mean, I assume you were very good in hand-to-hand combat or something with your staff and all. Oh, and apparently your relationship went nowhere in the past year? Fox still feels uncomfortable saying he loves Krystal to her face....at least she's sweet about it...

SF Command: Ok, now you are just being a whinny little......uuuuggghhh....Fox confirmed to be a doormat, courtesy of Krystal (who now everyone has a reason to hate)

So all in all, there are many endearing traits to Krystal that never get showcased properly This is due to how Krystal gets turned into a completely different character altogether :D Let the flames begin.

hate on Krystal a bit for giving Fox an attitude after he JUST SAVED HER LIFE....

Laugh at how tall Krystal looks compared to Fox. Fox gets much pity...

Krystal is forgiven for her outburst because she falls for him.

Ok, now you are just being a whinny little......uuuuggghhh....Fox confirmed to be a doormat, courtesy of Krystal (who now everyone has a reason to hate)

Congrats, this post is literally actually creepier than it would've been if it had only consisted of "I saw Krystal and then fapped for three days straight"

First time I saw Krystal I had a thought I never expected to have before, ever:

who the hell changed the color config

And obviously I had all my wat invoked due to the strange speech in the beginning. Could tell it wasn't Spanish because I'm familiar with Latin-derived languages (BRBRBR) and I knew Japanese sounded different so I instantly assumed she was speaking Spamlish or something.

Other than that it followed to ups and downs of likability.

Faux-analytics because why not:

Jxl79Fi.png

Congrats, this post is literally actually creepier than it would've been if it had only consisted of "I saw Krystal and then fapped for three days straight"

I'm hoping you're just messing with me because that surely was not my intention. I gotta remember that reading text on the internet does not allow someone to understand what is being emphasized the most unless of course you use THIS or THIS and maybe once in a while THIS

But really, I sincerely hope you understand I was making fun of how the characters seem to have an issue playing off of each other's personalities as well as the poor decision making abilities they seem to have

The long and short of it here can basically be summed up in this convenient tweet.

tumblr_n1jlrejt8P1qztisdo1_500.jpg

in this case, replace Han Solo with Falco.

Even though I dislike Krystal, what I dislike more is the unreasonable double-standard she's held to compared to the other characters.

Falco ditches Star Fox twice for no definable reason and acts like a huge dick about it, but Krystal goes off to do her own thing after Fox forces her off the team for his own selfish reasons and suddenly the fandom won't shut up about what a horrible nasty disgusting bitch-slut she is (not your words, but some choice others that I've seen).

In Adventures, Fox is shown as being impatient, sarcastic and only in it for the money. But do you fault him for any of that in the same way you fault Krystal for taking her staff back from this random guy she doesn't even know? So she can shoot Andross in the face as revenge for him trapping and torturing her and murdering the Earthwalkers she came to the planet to save to begin with?

I'm just saying that thinking "that cartoon fox is kinda hot" is significantly less fucked up than the general fandom attitude that Krystal is only a likable, respectable character when she's acting as Fox's obedient waifu.

To make this slightly more topic relevant I guess I could say I first saw Krystal in Adventures, went "wow she would be neat if she wasn't tossed into the Damsel Crystal for the entirety of the game so she could be ogled while a porno sax plays", onto "wow she had no purpose at all" in Assault, to going "hey cool she kinda did something this time" in Command only to hide under a table as droves of fanboys rampaged throughout the land, enraged by the unthinkable betrayal of Command!Krystal's frequent refusal to bend over for them Fox. All interspersed with my various stages of anger over missed potential, dodging reams of porn, and crying WHY to both the heavens and the disconcertingly polarized fandom.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was a 7 year old girl when my dad first played Adventures...I wasn't a Starfox fan back then. But I thought Krystal was pretty and cool and because I was such a hopeless romantic back then I knew that she and Fox would become love interests.

Now when I became a Starfox fan at the age of 11 I was envious of Krystal's beauty and wanted blue hair, an elegant tail, and ears just like hers.

• Like 1