LucasJG19

in my first topic thread which is called "Strategic thinking within the starfox games."

The Judgemeanie commented about starfox games having RPG elements.

So I was inspired to write this topic to see what you guys might think about it.

What if you guys had the opportunity to make your own character within the starfox games. But not just any character. A Human character. And as your play you have to attend the Cornerian military academy. As you upgrade and become and expert in flying, your missions involve flight and ground missions as Fox McCloud's partner.

After all we have been playing as fox for a long time so I thought it would be cool to just fight along side him for a change.

What do you guys think

I always thought that, aside from the fantastic gameplay, people were drawn to the Star Fox games because of the non-human protagonists/characters.  The anthro characters are one of the unique aspects of the series; diluting that would take away from the lore of the series IMO.

Why? What on earth could being a human add to the Star Fox games? You could argue your case for having a creatable main character (which I wouldn't like but that's more of a preference thing) but there is absolutely no justification for the character being human, and it actually breaks the world of this cartoony space animal game--especially since you'd then have to explain why the hell there are suddenly humans in Lylat.

• Like 2

1378484_10151948144178685_103970395_n.jp

Sorry to burst the bubble here but 'humans meet StarFox' is almost on dead horse status of so overused.

Not just that but it simply breaks the formula of talking animal things in space.

(please disregard any possible hypocrisy in my words for I am writing an SF/ES crossover but hey shaddap. :3)

Custom character creation is a must if the RPG elements are going to be inherited (god forbid the terrible writing though) and if they want to add immersion factor to the game. ME/2 wasn't bad, as well as Dragon Age seems to get a fair following on the web.

The counterpoint kicks in when you get to think: is this a StarFox game, or Star[id_name] game? All's fair if they're giving you the opportunity to give a new game on the lore everyone's familiar with along player interaction, but if the title drop is StarFox, the discussed matter is a spinoff rather than a main title.

Of course I'd also cite the problematic factor but that's been addressed as irrelevant to any series.

Regardless, humans and StarFox = not happening.

EDIT: So many goddamn ninjas wtf

You could give Star Fox RPG elements without it necessitating a creatable protagonist. All that means is adding a little more depth to the team structure and customization, plus maybe having a slightly more open world. Say once you encounter enough characters, you can swap certain ones out for certain missions, or add individualized upgrades to their ship, or alter their strategy (eg. put all three in their ships, or put Krystal on the ground, or make Falco super aggro while Slippy stays back for support). It actually makes more sense to have Fox as the fixed player character for this because he's the only character that makes sense for all the others to be following like that--Original the Character doesn't have that kind of clout.

But yeah "humans in starfac" is a staple trope from people who think there aren't enough call of duties in their cartoon animal game and the general consensus on that is "nope".

• Like 1

Point taken. I only mentioned Origonol D. Charter (Callsign 'Donut Steel') for circumstantial reasons since that's what was discussed I guess, but as I mentioned in another topic making RPG elements out of already-present characters is a better solution because StarFOX.

Still wouldn't mind to see a spin-off with CCC, but in the spirit of full honesty I go with Dras here and try to flesh out StarFox before trying to hop into something else.

• Like 1

Why? What on earth could being a human add to the Star Fox games? You could argue your case for having a creatable main character (which I wouldn't like but that's more of a preference thing) but there is absolutely no justification for the character being human, and it actually breaks the world of this cartoony space animal game--especially since you'd then have to explain why the hell there are suddenly humans in Lylat.

1378484_10151948144178685_103970395_n.jp

Sorry to burst the bubble here but 'humans meet StarFox' is almost on dead horse status of so overused.

Not just that but it simply breaks the formula of talking animal things in space.

(please disregard any possible hypocrisy in my words for I am writing an SF/ES crossover but hey shaddap. :3)

Custom character creation is a must if the RPG elements are going to be inherited (god forbid the terrible writing though) and if they want to add immersion factor to the game. ME/2 wasn't bad, as well as Dragon Age seems to get a fair following on the web.

The counterpoint kicks in when you get to think: is this a StarFox game, or Star[id_name] game? All's fair if they're giving you the opportunity to give a new game on the lore everyone's familiar with along player interaction, but if the title drop is StarFox, the discussed matter is a spinoff rather than a main title.

Of course I'd also cite the problematic factor but that's been addressed as irrelevant to any series.

Regardless, humans and StarFox = not happening.

EDIT: So many goddamn ninjas wtf

Well you have a point there. But it would be nice to imagine yourself in their universe so to speak. I mean, there is always excitement in things that have not been introduced. So you might not like the fact of human and Lylat meeting but the story plot might turn out to be fantastic. Either way you put. Of course there are some bad points about this but there is also some good in it too.

You know the saying, nothing ventured nothing gained.

The problem with that saying in this context is that there is no way to insert a human-being into the Star Fox universe without derailing every single thing established within that universe.  As opposed to a human avatar, an individual playing the games can find a character that fits into the lore of the world and connect with them. 

If someone wants to immerse themselves in that world, they probably want to play a character that's feasibly part of that world to begin with. Telling someone they get to play as a human instead of a talking purple tiger or a frog woman or something is like showing someone a delicious gourmet chocolate fudge cake and then telling them they only get to eat the oatmeal-raisin cookies instead.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I could see it as a crossover. Other than Super Smash Brothers of course. Humans can have their own unique fighter jets, tanks, watercraft even, and weapons. Humans probably would not live on planet corneria, they would be allowed to visit but their ship would probably orbit at a safe distance. How would the game play work though? Would it be like Star Fox assault where you are inside of sea flying machines and outside during certain missions?