Skype vs SF-O Chat

DZComposer

It has come to my attention that some people are concerned about using Skype group chats to chat with SF-O members.

I just want to clarify that I have no problem with that. I have no desire to monopolize your communication with each other.

One thing, though: the SF-O staff cannot moderate any communications that happen outside SF-O. This is not technically possible, nor is it our right to control what people say outside of SF-O.

Once again: STARFOX-ONLINE STAFF ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MODERATING THE CONTENT OF CHATS OR OTHER COMMUNICATIONS THROUGH CHANNELS NOT CONTROLLED BY STARFOX-ONLINE. USE OF EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION WITH OTHER MEMBERS COULD RESULT IN EXPOSURE TO CONTENT THAT IS NOT PERMITTED ON STARFOX-ONLINE COMMUNICATION CHANNELS.

I appreciate the concern that Skype chats may reduce the use of the SF-O chat. Don't worry about that. IP.Chat does have an additional license fee. It isn't much, but if the chat goes unused, I will just simply not renew that license and turn-off the chat app. This wouldn't be to punish anyone, but rather to avoid paying a recurring fee for something not being used. If demand for a SF-O chat returned, I could just as easily re-activate the license.

• Like 4

So just to clarify, because i have had this happen to me before, if i start talking smack about Arashikage on the Skype chat i wont get in trouble here?

I would really rather you didn't look at it that way, but yeah, I can't do anything about what happens off of SF-O.

Though, do bear is mind that trouble that starts off of SF-O that finds its way here will be dealt with.

Also potentially serious things in chat there could have consequences here. After all, long ago someone was doing death threats on another member over DeviantArt and that was dealt with on here as well, iirc.

Yeah, death threats are definitely across the line. Especially death threats against the staff. If you're that angry with the staff, then you obviously don't enjoy being a member here. I'll make it easy for you not to be.

banhammerbro.jpg

I appreciate the concern that Skype chats may reduce the use of the SF-O chat. Don't worry about that. IP.Chat does have an additional license fee. It isn't much, but if the chat goes unused, I will just simply not renew that license and turn-off the chat app. This wouldn't be to punish anyone, but rather to avoid paying a recurring fee for something not being used. If demand for a SF-O chat returned, I could just as easily re-activate the license.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was a bit concerned there would be an issue with the possible lack of usage of the online chat.

So out of curiosity, what do you consider "lack of chat usage"? Usually i hang out in chat as long as one other user is there. On average I would say there are at least 5 or 6 people in chat on an ordinary night. Possibly 3-4 out of the assumed 5-6 in this situation are in constant conversation. I don't have the official numbers of course but this is what I see on a regular basis when I am in chat.

I'd say if you're not going to pay the fee for the IPB chatroom, put that money towards a Mumble server. That'd be fun. EVL has a forum and a Mumble server.

I would assume "lack of chat usage" being like 2-3 people on once per week. Maybe more maybe less depending on how DZ feels his money is being used. But I dont really see the abandonment of the chat being that likley since not everyone is going to be able to Skype due to timezones, technical problems, schedules, ect.

• Like 1

You say that...but the chat the last few nights has been a barren wasteland.

Not sure what you're talkin about

after you went to bed, there were like 6 people in there

Not sure what you're talkin about

after you went to bed, there were like 6 people in there

And if not for a certain holiday, I would have been there too making it 7. I guess my average was spot on then :-P

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention before that we need to consider that the chat can only handle a little over 10 users at once. So with that in mind, the average I suggested would mean that it is getting good use considering.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen that thing manage 17 people...

AND THERE ARE NO EXCUSES ON TUCHANKA