Major SF-O Overhaul Coming

DZComposer

IPB4 is nearing beta release, and said beta will likely drop this month.

A lot of things are going to change around here once this happens. In fact, I think this will be the largest site overhaul in the history of SF-O.

Why are things changing?

IPB 4 is looking up to be the best community software ever written (assuming it meets the hype). Many features have been streamlined and it takes full advantage of new web standards such as HTML 5, Responsive Theming (this means no more mobile version needed), and is more streamlined on the back end. Also, IPS is claiming it is much easier to write code for than IPB 3.

Also, SF-O is still far from my vision, particularly in the site content area. When SF-O comes out of this change, there will be write-ups on most Star-Fox related topics. I would like help with this, though, if any of you wish to write or outline an article on something, feel free to write it as a post on the community content board.

How will this overhaul affect me?

The IPB 4 features will make the software easier to use and look more modern. Also, SF-O will be a place where you can actually look-up information and also share game tips such as how to get medals and high scores.

As far as interruption and downtime, I will do my best to minimize downtime.

How will the changes happen?

The first priority will be a straight upgrade to IPB 4. This time, though, I will make the new theme beforehand in a test environment. Content and features will be added as they are completed.

My goal for SF-O has always been to provide the best Star Fox fan experience the internet can offer. These changes coming will take the site closer to my vision. Though I cannot fully fulfill my vision for SF-O without help, so some site-staff (not moderating) positions may come open. If they do, please understand that you are making a commitment.

One site that heavily inspires my vision for SF-O is a major Kirby fansite called the "Rainbow Resort." You can see it here: http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/index2.html I'm not crazy about how it looks, but the content and community functions are what I am looking for.

I'd also like to bring the old SFOCast podcast back in some form, though content for it is something I need to figure out.

• Like 7

And adventure (and IPB update) is like a Shrek Movie. There are tasks and Onions, both of which have many layers. 

When the next IPB drops there's going to be some challenges. It may not be the most picture perfect site after launch, but if everyone puts in their best SFO support, we could have one helluva good website. With a lot of great community elements to give all of us the best Starfox experience for everyone. 

I, for one, look forward to this future. Because the future is now, thanks to science! So everyone should put their virtual hands in and let's get ready to rock! 

I'd also like to bring the old SFOCast podcast back in some form, though content for it is something I need to figure out.

Make a thread and have people suggest topics

the goings on of the SF-O community

General gaming news

nintendo news

Starfox trivia games for the members in said podcast

and shit, we may even have a new game here soon so there'd be plenty to talk about

no more mobile version needed

yessssh

Also, why isn't this site called SpaceDog-online?

^

-=This post has been powered by MultiQuote, GET ON MY FUCKING LEVEL =-

Sounds interesting, I look forward to this.

This is good to hear. I finally discovered that my Avast! Antivirus Firefox plugin was slowing down the loading of several sites, including this one, SIGNIFICANTLY (e.g. by roughly ten seconds, as well as slowing down other features). With that disabled, bring on the updates! :P

The updates sound good, but will they live up to expectations when it comes out...?

• 3 months later...

Things are going to start happening with this soon. The IPB team has been squashing bugs left-and-right, and are finally talking in a way that suggests the beta release is really around the corner this time.