StarFoxfan-FUR_ever

Question

As the title of the topic says, my Wii is having problems reading disks. Whenever I put a disk in, whether it is a Wii or Gamecube game, I will hear exactly 3 consecutive "click" sounds but no more, and then I will get the message that says "Could not read disk, for help troubleshooting, refer to the Wii Operations Manual". Unlike other errors that I have read up on, my Wii will not go to a black screen with another error message. I can easily remove the disk by simply pressing eject, as well as navigate all the different menus.

This problem started when I was playing SSBB just yesterday, I noticed something strange was going on when the system stopped making that clicking sound which normally would signify that the disk was being read and content loaded. The game continued to work for a few more seconds, before the message came up that there was a disk read error, please turn off the system and restart...etc. The game worked again after trying to load it up about 10 times, before another disk read error occurred once the intro began. Since then, it has not been able to read any of my disks, regardless of whether or not it is a single or a dual-layer disk.

I've looked up all the types of problems the system may have and I've narrowed it down to 3 different issues. 

A: I need to clean the optical laser lens.

B: I need to replace the optical drive laser altogether.

C: There may be an issue with my Disk Drive.

How can I determine which of those solutions would be the correct solution to fixing the issue?

Interestingly enough it would appear that the issue is slowly resolving itself over time, as it is taking longer for the error message to come up. In fact, it almost looks on the screen like the system is about to read the disk properly as it in fact lags a bit and then jumps to the error message. So now I don't even know what to do. Thank you in advance.

6 answers to this question

It sounds exactly like what our Wii does when it's trying to read Dual Layer discs. It's a well known problem with the Wii, actually. SSBB is a dual layer disc, try to see if you have a game that isn't dual layered and see if it will load it.

I think I remember that cleaning the lens can help, but it won't fix it entirely.

I know that the Wii has issues with dual layer disks, but it seems rather odd that I have never before had a single game (not even SSBB) have a disk read error before, and all of a sudden it can't read any games at all.

My friend had a few broken wii's before. Oddly, I'm the only person I know who never had a console break on my before. The only broken console I have is a broken xbox, and that's because it was given to me broken. 

Although thinking back, my Wii has issues like that, sometimes it'll take 3 tries to play a game, but I always assumed that was just the disk because most my games run flawlessly. Only games like smash/metroid prime trilogy give me slight problems... Both dual layered disk... Heh, looks like I should start keeping an eye on my Wii from now on.

Clean the lense, and if you need to, the entire optical assembly. I remember cleaning the insides of a PS2 and taping the door sensors down to get it to read disks. The Wii should have an easier to comprehend configurement, so if you just be careful with the parts and clean the dust out, you should be fine. It may void your warranty, though.

• Owner/Technical Admin

When SSBB first came out, some Wii's did have issues reading it because it was a dual-layer disc. Nintendo at that time would repair your drive/system free of charge or something like that.

Thanks for trying to help me out everyone. I looked into possibly getting that Wii Lens Cleaner kit, but I found that its really hit or miss, and I kinda figured it wouldn't be worth it to buy it. If anything, I'll just use a can of air to blow out any dust I can find and hope it fixes the issue. Haven't turned it on since I posted this topic, so for all I know, maybe the issue fixed itself.