A question for the users of this board

DZComposer

I've been mulling-over in my mind purchasing a license for IP.Blog, the blogging component for IPB.

One of the features is that it would allow you to create your own blogs that would be presented in a more standard blog format rather than in forum threads.

I've been thinking that when IPB 4 comes out, I will not use IP.Content for the site news feed like I do now, but use IP.Blog instead and feed it to a homepage within IP.Content, which would be used to drive the site's more static content such as character and game articles.

If I were to buy and IP.Blog license, this forum would be deprecated.

Thoughts?

Is the IP.blog thing like the chat is? In that its a monthly payment or whatever?

Or is it just a one-off?

So when you say this forum would be deprecated, do you mean there won't be much of a forum anymore, and it'll all just be blog posts?

Is the IP.blog thing like the chat is? In that its a monthly payment or whatever?

Or is it just a one-off?

No IPS is "one-time," the licenses expire every 6 months. But it really isn't that expensive to renew. Renewals are a fraction of the initial purchase price.

So when you say this forum would be deprecated, do you mean there won't be much of a forum anymore, and it'll all just be blog posts?

Correct. You can still have discussions, though, as people can comment on your posts.

Here is Andy's blog at the IPB 4 test site so you can see how it works: http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/blogs/blog/1-andys_blog/

And a post with comments: http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/blogs/entry/6896-okagbare-wins-womens-100m-gold/

I may purchase it for IPB 3 (current version), but I'm not sure yet. Either way, since SF-O is moving to IPB 4 when it is ready this should be what you judge.

EDIT: In case you meant the forums in general, no. The forums are staying. This "blog board" is what would be deprecated.

OK, it took me a while to realize that you mean that the Journal Zone forum would be deprecated, not the forums as a whole. Derp!

I reckon that blogs would be really appropriate for the Journal Zone. It'd probably be easier to read and it would feel more like a Journal as a whole. But would the current journal threads be lost? Beyond that, I think it really boils down to what the people want.

OK, it took me a while to realize that you mean that the Journal Zone forum would be deprecated, not the forums as a whole. Derp!
Oh! Okay it took me this comment to realize that. Okay that makes a ton more sense. In that case I'm pretty much in favor

The forum I work at has a blog section. It didn't reduce activity, if I remember right it was mainly used as kinda like a diary/journal thing or to post things that don't necessarily fit with any category (Like personal explanations with questions that don't belong in a topic yet too big for a status)

Sure, do it. I've used this board consistently for two years and I'm totally fine with the move.

If you hold it to a vote I'll be that one guy who says no. If anybody else says no in this thread, I will probably back them.

I just need a 2-7 day heads up before you pull the plug, so I can pay my respects to Late Night Patrolâ„¢, also known as about 17 other fucking things.

So would the final product be:

• A forum like the test site to post threads and such

+

• A user blog, like the Journal Zone, where users can create their own blogs?

I AM NOT REMOVING THE FORUMS! ONLY THE JOURNAL ZONE WOULD BE DEPRECATED.

The "IPS 4 version" of SF-O as I see it now consists of the following:

1. Forum community, pretty much as it is now, where members can have on and off topic discussion

2. Chat room where forum members can participate in real-time discussion

3. Blog engine for site articles and things like SFOCast episodes, this engine would also be used to allow members to create their own blogs.

4. IP.Content-driven informational pages containing data, facts, hints, etc. I hear talk of a "Wiki mode" in IPC 4, so it may be user-editable.

5. More-organized file and image libraries. Jukebox would be deprecated in favor of a music page where tracks could be streamed or downloaded.

If I can find a way to convert threads to blogs (unlikely), I could keep your journal threads largely as-is. Otherwise, I would archive them so you can still access their content.

My end goal is to turn SF-O from being "the fansite Star Fox has" into "the ultimate Star Fox fansite."

• Like 1

I AM NOT REMOVING THE FORUMS! ONLY THE JOURNAL ZONE WOULD BE DEPRECATED.

The "IPS 4 version" of SF-O as I see it now consists of the following:

1. Forum community, pretty much as it is now, where members can have on and off topic discussion

2. Chat room where forum members can participate in real-time discussion

3. Blog engine for site articles and things like SFOCast episodes, this engine would also be used to allow members to create their own blogs.

4. IP.Content-driven informational pages containing data, facts, hints, etc. I hear talk of a "Wiki mode" in IPC 4, so it may be user-editable.

5. More-organized file and image libraries. Jukebox would be deprecated in favor of a music page where tracks could be streamed or downloaded.

If I can find a way to convert threads to blogs (unlikely), I could keep your journal threads largely as-is. Otherwise, I would archive them so you can still access their content.

My end goal is to turn SF-O from being "the fansite Star Fox has" into "the ultimate Star Fox fansite."

Not a bad idea DZ! ;)  But the forums shall continue the same, correct?

Reread the line in large type...

Plus, if I was changing the whole forums, I wouldn't be posting about it here, it would be on the announcement board.

Shoot for the moon then DZ. If you miss we'll be blendering the stars for fuck!

Let's do it.

French horn style.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was in the same boat, got concerned there a little bit

French horn style.

It's not French, it's German. Pretty much, as Horns are concerned, its "Deutsches über alles."

• Owner/Technical Admin

Shoot for the moon then DZ. If you miss we'll be blendering the stars for fuck!

Let's do it.

French horn style.

You're going to kill me!

• Like 1

I have to agree with the "yes" side. As it is right now, the journal forum is just another forum, except it has topics with overly long posts that not enough people read (although that is debatable). By changing this JOURNAL forum into a true "blog" (with a better comments section), I feel more users will have a use for it.

My question is whether or not each user can establish their own "category" of blog posts? Think about it like this, if a user sets up a sub category for their username, under that username subcategory they can have a list of each journal entry (blog) they put up. That way instead of creating one giant journal that stacks one entry on top of another, it will be easier to find individual entries from specific users.

I'd honestly use it more if it were a blog than as a forum thread. If it's a forum thread, I kinda feel like I'm spamming or talking to myself. I've got no problems with plain ol' blog entries.

My question is whether or not each user can establish their own "category" of blog posts? 

I have just such an account with IPB 3 blog that allows a member to make multiple blogs and enter a description for each. Whether or not this functionality can/will be disallowed here is another thing.

I guess labeling it as a blog would justify the posts that posters in here make, but I like having the thread environment, because it makes talking and posting feel much more loose and relaxed. A traditional blog would have more dense content, and I've enjoyed keeping it light.

• Like 1

OK, I purchased the license. I will go ahead and install IP.Blog here.

OK, blogs is active. You can covert your posts to entires by using the "Blog This" button on the post. You can also use this feature for it's intended purpose and blog about a post.

If you have a lot of posts, you may wish to use multiquote and dump them into one entry.

StarFox-Online is currently unavailable

Our blog system will be back online shortly!

I couldn't blog this your post DZ.