Port forwarding not successful.

Dr. Orange

Question

I know I should go to google about this issue, but so far all that I have found on google hasn't been helpful or successful in anyway. Hoping some IT guy here can give me a hand.

So my problem is that I have been trying to port forward my router so I can host vidyagames. I have a AT&T router. I've done all the steps the internet tells me about port forwarding on AT&T and I always come up jack. I know that it's not my computer because I've port forwarded on other routers recently, such as Linksys and Arris and both come up successful.

And advice from here on is going to be helpful

9 answers to this question

• Owner/Technical Admin

Make/Model of Router? Try and find the instructions of your router and see what they have to say.

Try this website.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

I have used it when I need to forward a port and it usually tells me what I need. You just need to find your router model and the game you want to forward the port for.

You can then use this one to check if the port opened.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

What specific game(s) are you trying to host?

Make/Model of Router? Try and find the instructions of your router and see what they have to say.

AT&T 3801HGV.

Try this website.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

I have used it when I need to forward a port and it usually tells me what I need. You just need to find your router model and the game you want to forward the port for.

You can then use this one to check if the port opened.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

What specific game(s) are you trying to host?

I've used the first website but the results were no dice. 

And games like Terraria, Killing Floor, Unturned, just usual Steam games.

That is actually a 2Wire 801HGV. It has a built-in firewall. Did you set-up and exclusion for the requisite ports?

Also, how do you know the problem is port forwarding and not, say, a software firewall on your computer?

For the record, ISP's always offer these modem/router combo units. They ALL SUCK. And you have to pay extra for the privilege. It's better to just spend the $75 up-front on a decent router. You'll save money in the long run, too.

That is actually a 2Wire 801HGV. It has a built-in firewall. Did you set-up and exclusion for the requisite ports?

I thought about that.

AT&T does this weird thing that I can choose devices to pinhole programs through the firewall but if I try to open the same program settings on both the router and the computer it can't handle that shit. I don't know might need to fool around with that a bit.

Also, how do you know the problem is port forwarding and not, say, a software firewall on your computer?

Well I mean I've hosted the same programs on a different ISPs and a different routers all while having the same security programs on my PC on. I know Norton is shit but it's not at fault in this case. 

So, you actually DON'T know that it's the router then. Updates happen. You may have changed a config a long time ago to fix something unrelated and forgot. Etc. Do your due diligence. Turn off the Norton firewall and see if the port is open.

"It worked in the past, therefore that isn't the problem" is one of the first assumptions you should do away with when troubleshooting. Many many times in both my professional and hobbyist careers the problem was something that had I made that assumption I wouldn't have bothered to check.

Just tested it. It didn't work.

I get the point your going at DZ, really I do, it's just I know nothing has changed between when I did it on a Arris router and then on a AT&T router. 

So by it does jack, do you mean you get an error message somewhere, or you forward the ports but nothing happens to the server?  

I tried to forward my ports, and for a reason I couldn't figure out, it wasn't working.  I looked back in the settings and realized I was a massive idiot.  It turns out, I didn't have the correct IP for my computer.  Make sure your IP is correct, use ipconfig in the command prompt and make sure it matches up with the ports on the router.

By jack I meant nobody could connect. Looks like AT&T has a firewall for both the router and my computer. What's even better is that I can't open the same ports on both at the same time. I've never seen anything like this where I have to choose a device.