Game of the decade (2000-2010)

Guest Mr. N

Guest Mr. Mario

We all know about how every year there is a chance for one best game of that year to win the award known as 'Game of the Year', but there is in fact a bigger title than 'Game of the Year', this title is known as 'Game of the decade' where in this competion gamers get a chance to vote for one of their favorite games that were released between 1/1/00 - 12/31/09, it can be on any platform. What game do you think was the best of the 2000's decade?

My votes would go to Team Fortress 2, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Resident Evil 4.

Do, I've already forgotten. :P

I can't decide on my choice. Too many good games, though TF2 is the one I keep playing.

I can't decide... too many choices. The one I keep playing the most is Starcraft 2, Fallout 3, God of War 3 and Call of Duty 4/6/7 or WoW so it would have to be one of them for me.

SSBM, anyone?

GameFAQs is running the competition-thing currently. I've been making predictions.

So many good games this decade, hard to choose any without thinking of more.

You guys have to think deeper.

GTA III, IV, VC, San Andreas?

COD: MW2

TF2

Portal

Just Cause

Saints Row

Mercenaries

etc, etc...

Team Fortress 2: a game that still holds strong to this day with free updates and fresh gameplay

Metroid Prime: everyone doubted it, and it then shined and blew everyone away, and hasn't aged a day

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: this game came out in 2000, remember? Arguably the best Zelda, with great atmosphere and sidequests that make you truly care for the people of the world you are saving.

Metal gear Solid 3 Snake Eater: Easily the best MGS, a game that grabs your heart and doesn't let it go with masterful storytelling

Just a few off the top of my head.

Also, don't forget, 2010 games don't count as part of the decade. And neither do 1999 and before. Strictly 2000-2009.

With that said, I say Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Out of every game I've played ever, from any year, no game has beaten the fun and immersive-ness of that game. Truly a masterpiece. And it was released in 2000, so it's my game of the decade. ;)

Anyone wanna make a bet that the winner over at GameFAQs will be a Nintendo game? :lol:

Also, don't forget, 2010 games don't count as part of the decade. And neither do 1999 and before. Strictly 2000-2009.

With that said, I say Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Out of every game I've played ever, from any year, no game has beaten the fun and immersive-ness of that game. Truly a masterpiece. And it was released in 2000, so it's my game of the decade. ;)

Anyone wanna make a bet that the winner over at GameFAQs will be a Nintendo game? :lol:

As said, it's a stupid, unrealistic premise anyway.

I don't know why TF2 is so popular on this forum. Call of Duty is better. So is Monday Night Combat.

I don't know why TF2 is so popular on this forum. Call of Duty is better. So is Monday Night Combat.

I don't know why Call of Duty is so popular. TF2 is better. So is *other game here*.

TF2 will be forgotton in 7 years. COD won't.

Unless they make a TF3, which will probably flop.

But hey, right now, if it's your favorite game, let it be your favorite.

Me, I just elected Indiana Jones for N64 as the GOTD, no one's hardly heard of it.

It's already been out for several years, and it's still going stronger than plenty of others. And there's also the idea of what the games will be remembered for in the first place. I, for example. will remember every COD game as a cookie cutter FPS, whereas TF2 is unique and interesting.

Unless they make a TF3, which will probably flop.

But hey, right now, if it's your favorite game, let it be your favorite.

Me, I just elected Indiana Jones for N64 as the GOTD, no one's hardly heard of it.

TF2 has lasted for as long as -3- Call of Duty games have come out. Thats the strength of Team Fortress: lasting power. Not to bash on CoD, I enjoy them too, but they get spat out like pennies.

Team Fortress 2 is just another Half-Life 2. (VALVE??) It's still a game people remember, and still play every now and then. But in 5 more years it'll be forgotten.

Not to bash TF2, I haven't even played it. Haven't played HF2, either. But still, that's what it is.

COD gets games "spat out" like pennies because people love the franchise, and it's...EA made, and EA is notorious for making too many sequels.

But all the COD games have quality. Quality over Quantity! You may think that it's quantity over quality with COD, but it isn't. They're all good games that are worthy of being made and bought.

I don't know what I was trying to gain from that long paragraph, but I just felt like saying it.

Team Fortress 2 is just another Half-Life 2. (VALVE??) It's still a game people remember, and still play every now and then. But in 5 more years it'll be forgotten.

Not to bash TF2, I haven't even played it. Haven't played HF2, either. But still, that's what it is.

COD gets games "spat out" like pennies because people love the franchise, and it's...EA made, and EA is notorious for making too many sequels.

But all the COD games have quality. Quality over Quantity! You may think that it's quantity over quality with COD, but it isn't. They're all good games that are worthy of being made and bought.

I don't know what I was trying to gain from that long paragraph, but I just felt like saying it.

What.

You crazy.

Half-Life 2 was among the most anticipated sequels of all time. Forgotten? people still play Half-Life 1 for crying out loud. People are still waiting for Half-Life 2 episode 3 to come out! Furthermore, I don't even see the connection to TF2 and HL2 beyond both being Valve-developed. TF2 will not be forgotten. People still play and remember TFClassic, and TF2 has even more to offer than it does. Call of Duty games get spat out because they make money, and yeah, because its EA. You say quality over quantity, but Valve makes quality games too, and are among the few developers that listen to and respect their buyers.

And I'll put it to you like this: how many people do you know still play Call of Duty 2? That's 2005. Just as old as Half-Life 2. People still play HL2, but I never see any mention of older CoD games. Its always about the next sequel. MW2 hasn't even been out over a year, and its already been replaced.

Let's get some things straight. CoD isnt EA, it's activision. When they get a hot property they are natarious for running it into the ground. That doesn't matter though because

Goldeneye. People remember it. Few remember Perfect Dark despite being superior. However, after Goldeneye, there were tons of really bad 007 games. To say it's bad because there is alot of them is dumb. It's like saying that ET is better then Half Life because there was only one of them.

Also, what has TF2 had over the years? Hats, stupid over complicated crafting bollocks and a few maps. Each CoD game has a new campaign, multiplayer, weapons, maps, perks, balence changes, ect. You are not going to fit that in a 50mb download. A few pointless hats, yes. A full improved game, no.

So, CoD (and sod it, Halo) vs TF2 and HL2. Who has heard of them outside of PC gamers? ...anyone? ...ah! yes, you at the back. ...oh. You just want the toilet.

Simply put, MW2 is so much better in an opinion sence, but provably more popular. Even people who have never played games know Halo and Modern Warfare. GTA is the same and I think that's crap.

Back on topic, if you are to choose a game of the decade, you need a fixed criteria. If you need a combined SP and MP experience, the MW2 wins by a mile since TF2 doesn't have any single player. Just a general 'best' is pointless as it's to subjective.

Also, what has TF2 had over the years? Hats, stupid over complicated crafting bollocks and a few maps. Each CoD game has a new campaign, multiplayer, weapons, maps, perks, balence changes, ect.

Each Call of duty may have diffrent things from the next, but it is usually recycled from teh last iteration. And CAll of duty has needed to be replaced over the years by a new iteration to keep its fans placated. TF2 needs not becasue it has stood on its own, aside from a few patches.

What.

You crazy.

Half-Life 2 was among the most anticipated sequels of all time. Forgotten? people still play Half-Life 1 for crying out loud. People are still waiting for Half-Life 2 episode 3 to come out! Furthermore, I don't even see the connection to TF2 and HL2 beyond both being Valve-developed. TF2 will not be forgotten. People still play and remember TFClassic, and TF2 has even more to offer than it does. Call of Duty games get spat out because they make money, and yeah, because its EA. You say quality over quantity, but Valve makes quality games too, and are among the few developers that listen to and respect their buyers.

And I'll put it to you like this: how many people do you know still play Call of Duty 2? That's 2005. Just as old as Half-Life 2. People still play HL2, but I never see any mention of older CoD games. Its always about the next sequel. MW2 hasn't even been out over a year, and its already been replaced.

I know HL2 is still popular, and even HL1 is. Call of Duty 2, you say? I hear of it a alot. It still has lots of servers.

Battlefield 2, 2005, still being played by 500+ gamers at once. I figure HL2 has that much still, too. But like Battlefield 2, HL2 is rapidly disintegrating. They both are.

Just so you know, I love Valve. Portal, Half-Life, everything, all great games, and great sequels, too. But really, CoD would get my pick over Half-Life or Portal. Portal has no multiplayer. Half-Life is too....fraggy, if you will. CoD is refined, and has a great engine it is built off of. All Valve games seem to use the same engine, too, and hey, nothing wrong with that, they're all changed to where you can hardly notice. But you can notice, that's the problem. CoD has no...engine, that they use and use and use, and you can always tell you're using the same engine, it's not like that. Sure, there's an engine, but you don't notice.

But anyway, that's not really on the topic we were on, is it...

Team Fortress 2 will not be remembered hardly, in 6 years. It's just another game that is "super awesome" and "genre defining" that will be forgotten. Not "forgotten" in the sense of people not remembering such a game, but just...not being played much at all. Maybe 1-7 active servers. That's it.

But have your fun! While it lasts. ;)

TF2 is probably a great game, my point is only to show you it doesn't deserve GOTD and that it isn't this sacred game like Goldeneye 007 or Ocarina of Time.

As I said in one of my other posts here, Indiana Jones for N64 is a very rare game. Get yourself a copy and you'll be spending $30 on it. Used, even. No one hardly knew it existed in 2000, no one hardly knows it exists now. Except the people who own it, and think of it as a masterpiece, because, well, it is.

But some people don't understand how I could think it's a masterpiece. Just like I don't understand why TF2 deserves GOTD. I may just be stuck in my own point of view.

It's that kind of thing when you know it deserves so much more than it gets, but there's no way to make it happen.