Aspergers and beyond!

TCPeppyTc

@ Sroberson : Indeed, but like I said to TC, everyone should be educated to accept each other (this can be enlarged to everything in society). Sure Aspies should be helped so they can be socializable (what my parents have done all my life) and seeing those aspie kids left alone with no one telling them to behave well is sad and infurating. But it's useless if people can't accept them. So yeah, I agree that Aspies should be helped to socialize better and they also should make efforts in that path, but all the others should learn to accept differences.

About that apparent increase of autism, maybe it's due to the increasing awareness about autism or maybe because medical techniques have evolved or a bit of both, don't you think? But there are still so many undiagnosed autistics and many misdiagnosed people and also idiots who call themselves "autistic" to justify all the shit they do.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely for acceptance of those with Asperger Syndrome. I apologize if it looked like I was suggesting that it shouldn't be accepted. I just know from my side I have seen the hard times those with Aspergers have in trying to make friends and just live life happily (especially when some I personally know aren't that different if you just accept the little things that seem out of place...but then everyone has something a little odd about them really, so what's the difference?) since the rest of the world can't open their minds a little. I have actually frowned upon those who never learned a little acceptance since it seems highly immature to me at this point. I also suppose I used the wrong word with "overdiagnosis". I meant better awareness and understanding - I just kind of wish work in understanding better socialization techniques could be found as 'easily' as a diagnosis.

But just for the record in case my words fail me some other places, I mean absolutely no disrepect.

Don't worry, there was no offense here. People should learn to accept differences in each other. No matter what.

People should Alan, but they do not always do that. That being the case, it is important to give aspergers kids the most education/ constructive criticism you can. Not everyone will be friends with them, but they can do a lot of fun stuff in the meantime.

sroberson, seeing as how you do summer camp with some ASD kids, be sure to point it out to them, try and help them improve their social skills.

Hey guys, I was going through the news today and found some pretty startling research that was recently done on the possible causes of autism and other high functioning disorders and I thought I would share it. It suggests that obesity and the presence of diabetes in the mother during childbirth can be linked to the development of autism in their child. I know personally a couple instances where this holds some truth but I wanted to pass it by you guys to see what your thoughts were of this. To me this was kind of eye opening in a way.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/09/moms-weight-or-diabetic-condition-may-be-a-factor-in-autism/?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/04/09/150250294/study-warns-of-autism-risk-for-children-of-obese-mothers?ft=1&f=1001

Eh. I wouldnt jump to conclusions. I mean Id do everything possible to stop a kid from developing Autism. Not Aspergers however.

That is because Aspergers and Autism are completly and totally different. Aspergers is an even better deal than high functioning autism. I mean the right parents are needed to raise a kid with aspergers properly ( i.e Not treating him like an imbecile just because he's slightly autistic.) A little off topic, but I hate how so many neurotypicals think aspergers children are so brave and precious adn "beutiful" just because they have asperger. Those kids should never be patronized.

I have Aspergers. Sure I had a little harder time maknig friends, and felt kidn of sad adn lonely at times. But once I had enough life experiences, and figured everything out, I had a great time of it. All aspergers means is everything is a little bit harder, but can be corrected. Again, aspergers are close to being " neurotypical" whatever that means. In my opinion it is likely Einstein and Jefferson had aspergers. But tehy were great because of who they were, possible aspergers being only one part of them.

Just prompt ASD kids a little, dont be afraid to correct them. They may be a little abashed, but trust me, whatever wierd thing their doing, theyll never do again.

"Social disorders" (in quotes for a reason) are entirely subjective. I don't agree with today's society's approach to these subjects. Instead of demanding that "aspies" act "normal", I think we should be working much more on our tolerance and compassion as that will prove to be infinitely more valuable as it seeps into the rest of our lives and world than simply having a society where people don't "annoy" us and everyone "fits in" as we see appropriate. This is a common theme you'll see with me when it comes to my opinions of society. You'd be surprised what a little tolerance will accomplish.

I'll go ahead and see myself out of this conversation. As you were fine gentlemen.

Falco. You are right. Normal is a sujective term, a wide tent if you will. In an ideal world everyone would be accpeting of quirks. The fact is their not.

I mean acting "normal" just means not unpleasent. Asperger kids can't control how other people will respond, but it gives them a world of help to point out why people may not like what their doing. That is what my mother/ cousins/ brothers did with me, and it helped a lot. It helped me make friends I otherwise may not have.

Aspies can do it, and most likely want to. They just don't ahve the same perception as other people, adn dont always quite realize what they are doing. Like sometimes not doing one wierd thing i.e, some annoying mannerism or phrase, would do a world of good, in that making it so the kid is less likely to get shunned. Again, ideally kids woudl be really mature, but their not. It's imperative the aspergers kid is educated as much as possible ( since he has a deficit in this area.) Again, this has been my experience, and helped me a ton. A ton.

Just my thoughts as a mild autistic myself

A fairly interesting topic of discussion is how society can play off the strengths of those in the autistic spectra in academia. There was an article over here a few years ago where someone with aspergers bemoaned the fact that academia has become a lot harder for people with the diagnose to navigate through due to the much higher number and diversity of courses required for degrees nowadays. Back in the 70's and 80's you could really focus on one specific field that interested you and just surf through it if you had a particular talent for that field, which sounds like a great way for those with autism to get important and well-compensated jobs, depending of course if their 'affinity' is synergetic with the studies in question.

Currently, the author of the article (and a close friend of mine) just feels overwhelmed with the amount of topics that must be slogged through to get an equivalent degree, with very little flexibility for those who really really want to get a doctorate in weevil taxonomy but can't give a toss about philosophy or ancient greek polities, for instance. My friend even went so far as to call it institutionalized discrimination due to the unwillingness and ignorance of the universities and the lack of options to use one's own strengths to excel in them. While the nature of academia is to grow more and more complex as the sum of human understanding increases, there must surely be a way to accomodate those who are challenged on one hand and gifted on the other, as those with high-functioning autism frequently are.

What I want to ask is, for those of you with the relevant disorders present, would you want to take advantage of an alternate study program tailored for your needs, if relevant, which may not give you the range of knowledge current programs do in favor of allowing you to really dig into your particular interests, or would you see it as patronising? The benefit of such a program, as I can see it, is twofold; it could allow you to earn a degree faster and more comfortably than otherwise, and it would give society the benefit of a pool of professionals that fills quickly and has a higher degree of expertise than the current pool of more general graduates can offer. Or would it just create another intellectual class and open new avenues of discrimination?

I think the biggest problem here is that soicety feels like it should discern a "norm" which everyone should fall under...however, there is no such thing...these invisible boundries we put up around ourselves are just that...invisible...and non-existant :/

Your right its subjective. Just important to give aspie kids the tools they need to function as well as they can.

Nothing wrong with say, having aspergers adn as a result being a history genius with a great memory. However, is wrong if they do things that irritate other people. I eagerly anticipate the future shangri-la our society will be, when everyone thinks normal is subjective, and everyone is tolerated no matter who they are.

Until then though, if the aspie kid is interested in making friends, he shoudl be taught well what pisses other people off, and how to make good eye contact, etc.

• 4 months later...

Hmmmm Starkid. Are congradulations in order? Does the actual diagnosis bring some kind of peace to you, or is it like saying you have nothing at this point?

by the way, something tells me a disproportionate number of people on SFO may have a tinge of aspergers ( myself included.)

Thank you for bumping a 5 month old topic without contributing anything worth discussing. Congratulations on your diagnosis, I suppose.

I now have to lock this.

• Like 2