Abortion Topic

Harlow

NOTE: As a Counter-point topic, it should be treated like it. Make your point clear and don't even try to stir things up.

So, I figured someone would've to do it, since permission was given.

In short, your stance of abortion, terms and conditions and "if only"s.

Please, try to keep religious reasons out of this, in order to evade a boiling point.

For me. I'll have to say legal, but not completely. Should cover rape, physical health, maternal life, very serious fetal defects, and socioeconomic reasons. If a family can't keep a baby or it's demmed inappropiate to raise a child, better to stop a tragedy before it starts. All of this valid on the first trimester; and valid for most of the pregnancy period for maternal life and serious fetal defects.

It should stop being so taboo, especially for the socioeconomic reasons, because I just can't imagine the whole deal of suffering a mother goes to by having a baby and not having the capacity of giving him the basic needs.

And, since I think Morning-After pills aren't abortive (they are more anti-fertilisation), they should be given away and enocurage their use like condoms. That way, a woman can have an way of birth control more accessible, and, ironically, the possiblilities for an abortion can be decreased

Coincidentially, I got the abortion theme for an exposition. here's some countries stats:

-In 1920, the Soviet Union became the first country to legalize abortion for any reason.

-Some countries ban abortion AT ALL COSTS, including maternal life. This being Honduras, Chile, Philippines, El Salvador, Somalia and Vatican City. You might get incarcerated if someone gets one.

Considering The vatican city is mostly male (i think) I think having to legalize abortions is compleatly unnessisary, but i digress.

Is this even allowed? I was almost sure the banhammer doesnt like this sort of topic

Is this even allowed? I was almost sure the banhammer doesnt like this sort of topic

Steve gave us permission after a topic about "Should we be allowed to debate this?" ruled out on the "yes you can"

I agree with you, really. And most abortions are for the reasons you've listed. This stereotype of some backwoods bimbo going "WELP IM PREGGO AGAIN TIME FOR MAH 15TH ABORTION LOLZ!!!!" is nearly mythological.

The "well, just put it up for adoption!" excuse is bull too. Pregnancies are emotionally, financially and physically draining on women, and regardless of whether they adopt or abort, they will still have to endure the emotional stigma of being a "slut" or being "selfish". Not to mention the adoption system is broken as it is.

• Like 3

I agree with you, really. And most abortions are for the reasons you've listed. This stereotype of some backwoods bimbo going "WELP IM PREGGO AGAIN TIME FOR MAH 15TH ABORTION LOLZ!!!!" is nearly mythological.

The "well, just put it up for adoption!" excuse is bull too. Pregnancies are emotionally, financially and physically draining on women, and regardless of whether they adopt or abort, they will still have to endure the emotional stigma of being a "slut" or being "selfish". Not to mention the adoption system is broken as it is.

inglip.jpg WE AGREE? WHAT KIND OF WITCHCRAFT IS THIS?!

Apparently, the record's 10, but I call bull.

Well, I still think it should be proved they went or are going to some of those cimcumstances just to be sure. I also believe to try to keep the vaccuming method the predominant one. I heard about salt-poisoning, it ain't pretty.

At the end of the 9 months, most of them won't use adoption anyway, so it's kind of a guilt trap.

I just know i couldn't bring my self to terminate what could end up being life :/ i am not a woman; however, my mother is. Her mother(my grandmother) had her first child at 16. AT HER PROM D: very terrible experince right? but i have an aunt now. She in tern now has two children, my cousins, both are married now. Now i am aware all abortion scienerios wouldn't work like this. But i belive saving a life is a far superior alternative to abortion. . A human life is a human life *shrugs* .

I would like to be banned from the counter point ( for a while) before i make a fool out of my self. i don't have the capactiy to argue a topic like this over the internet.

resigning - ajc

*edited*

I just know i couldn't bring my self to terminate what could end up being life :/ i am not a woman; however, my mother is. Her mother(my grandmother) had her first child at 16. AT HER PROM D: very terrible experince right? but i have an aunt now. She in tern now has two children, my cousins, both are married now. Now i am aware all abortion scienerios wouldn't work like this. But i belive saving a life is a far superior alternative to abortion. . A human life is a human life *shrugs* .

i think this whole topic is dumb, i will list my belifs, dras will list her's. No one will conivnce the other and at the end of the day dras's creative arguments, clever witty attacks and sarcasem will make ajc look like bad guy again. sad face

I would like to be banned from the counter point ( for a while) before i make a fool out of my self. i don't have the capactiy to argue a topic like this over the internet.

No answer but the seemingly rude "if you feel you can't comment on a topic, then don't."

It's not about convincing. It's one's own issue if they change their POV here, but it's all about discussing.

That post: 10% opinion, 90% pre-emptive whining about something I didn't even say. Wow. Grow the fuck up, AJC. If you don't want to talk about it, don't talk about it. If that's too hard a concept for you to grasp, then you really should never have a say in what any future girlfriends do in regards to their bodies.

Harlow, I also forgot to mention that you're right about the morning after pill. It isn't abortion; it blocks a pregnancy from happening to begin with. If you take it after you become pregnant, it won't have any effect.

I also don't think someone who wants an abortion needs to "prove" anything. It's a heavy decision to have to go in there to begin with. If you are making the decision to get an abortion, even despite the stigma that will follow you, then you probably have a damn good reason to begin with. I will say though, that it gets a bit iffy further into the pregnancy...if you're in the last trimester, unless there is a medical emergency I don't think it's feasible to get an abortion at that point. But every circumstance is different, I suppose.

Harlow, I also forgot to mention that you're right about the morning after pill. It isn't abortion; it blocks a pregnancy from happening to begin with. If you take it after you become pregnant, it won't have any effect.

I also don't think someone who wants an abortion needs to "prove" anything. It's a heavy decision to have to go in there to begin with. If you are making the decision to get an abortion, even despite the stigma that will follow you, then you probably have a damn good reason to begin with.

Many think the baby-making starts when the lotion gets in the basket, which is just plain wrong. Fertilization can take days, or even, never, to establish. So in a way, that pill's like a medical condom.

Just saying to voice the reason to the doctor, to avoid the scarce-but-possible backwoods bimbo.

I don't think they should be asked questions, honestly, especially when it could be something very hard to talk about, like rape. It's not an easy thing, going into that clinic.

To go back to what AJC said: your grandmother was given a choice. She chose to keep the baby. Allowing abortion doesn't mean MANDATORY ABORTIONS, it means that if a pregnancy will harm you financially, physically, or mentally, you have the option to end it.

I would also like you folks to take a gander at this personal account.

My favourite part is how the only people actually talking about abortion are doing it civilly and only useless chicken littles are making it a big deal!

Get out.

• Like 2

This thread...

1305421671937.jpg

A guy got banned for an "Are you a furry?" topic. A FREAKING GUY GOT BANNED OVER A Y/N QUESTION.

I think we can handle this

A guy got banned for an "Are you a furry?" topic. A FREAKING GUY GOT BANNED OVER A Y/N QUESTION.

I think we can handle this

Hard to say, you see, when they tell you to write an essay, there's certain topics you avoid, such as abortion and the death penalty. Likewise, when conversing with people, if you don't want people to go storming out of the room in a fit of rage, you avoid topics, such as abortion.

I tend to be wary around these things, because they usually end up religious shitslinging, even if you tell people not to do so. That's because religion is what usually defines peoples' opinions on this subject, hence why you can't keep it out of the argument.

But alright, carry on. I'm just hesitant about these kind of topics. But if admins/mods approve, admins/mods approve.

Hard to say, you see, when they tell you to write an essay, there's certain topics you avoid, such as abortion and the death penalty. Likewise, when conversing with people, if you don't want people to go storming out of the room in a fit of rage, you avoid topics, such as abortion.

I tend to be wary around these things, because they usually end up religious shitslinging, even if you tell people not to do so. That's because religion is what usually defines peoples' opinions on this subject, hence why you can't keep it out of the argument.

Just because you avoid doesn't mean that, after agreements, you can touch it.

I'll say what my teacher of Culture, Man and Science told us when speaking evolution. "Before you speak, leave your religious views out of this. You have to open up your mind and learn that your beliefs might not have the same weight in others as they have in you"

One more tiff in this thread and I lock it.

My reasons: If everyone can't handle this topic like adults, then it's only going to cause fights.

One more tiff in this thread and I lock it.

Hey, pardon them, that was a personal opinion of mine that I brought to the thread. They asked what my stand on abortion was, I said that I think it's best left alone, else religion gets brought into it. That's my opinion on it. I wasn't intending to troll. maybe a little

Er, yes i'd like to say there isn't a problem on this thread....my post was simply my stating of my inablity to handle this kinda topic

The only thing people have gotten annoyed at have been LoneWolf posting a macro and not contributing and what *seemed* like a personal attack by AJC that's been sorted out in PM. It's not the topic that's the problem.

Speaking of the topic, let's get back to it.

That's pretty much the point. If you aren't going to say Yes or No, but you would rather derail and say "This is hard to discuss, I can't and others can't", then better refrain to do it, because some poeple do feel capable of discussing this quite smoothly.

Speaking of the topic, let's get back to it.

Retweet

Anyway, that link I posted was a husband's perspective on his wife's abortion, how it impacts the family, how it is often a necessity, and the cruel way pro-lifers treat women and families in these circumstances. It was an interesting, if depressing, read, and I recommend it to anyone who thinks getting an abortion is just "welp gonna go get me a good-ol abortion! Wanna go get snacks and a movie after?"

Anyway, that link I posted was a husband's perspective on his wife's abortion, how it impacts the family, how it is often a necessity, and the cruel way pro-lifers treat women and families in these circumstances. It was an interesting, if depressing, read, and I recommend it to anyone who thinks getting an abortion is just "welp gonna go get me a good-ol abortion! Wanna go get snacks and a movie after?"

I understood. It really shows what it stands all about. This world wouldn't exist without second chances, and abortion is one.

BTW, what's yoru definition of a fair time limit? Could you try to put it on months if you can, please? A bit hard for me to read on weeks.

That's pretty much the point. If you aren't going to say Yes or No, but you would rather derail and say "This is hard to discuss, I can't and others can't", then better refrain to do it, because some poeple do feel capable of discussing this quite smoothly.

I'm man enough to say I acted impulsively and it's my fault. I've been waiting forever for a reason to post that image macro and I did so. I derailed the topic, my bad, shame on me, etc etc

Well, if you want my serious opinion, then, I'm personally not okay with abortion. HOWEVER, I support the idea of giving people a choice. I'm not going to let my personal opinions restrict other people's options. Therefore I wouldn't abort one of my own but I would let someone else do so. Also, I support contraceptive methods, because apparently some pro-life people don't.

If you're basically ready to pop the baby out, that's a bit late for an abortion (unless it's for a medically necessary reason). Late-term abortions aren't allowed anyways, though, under most circumstances, and this is defined on whether or not the fetus can survive outside the womb at that point. A fetus may become "viable" after (but not before) the 21st week of pregnancy and is almost always viable after the 27th week. In months, that's the first five months of pregnancy are okay for abortion, but the fetus has grown viable from months 7-9.

However, I imagine it's pretty rare for someone to go through nearly if not more than seven months of pregnancy and then go "eh I think I want an abortion now" (trauma and illness excluded)

If you're basically ready to pop the baby out, that's a bit late for an abortion (unless it's for a medically necessary reason). Late-term abortions aren't allowed anyways, though, under most circumstances, and this is defined on whether or not the fetus can survive outside the womb at that point. A fetus may become "viable" after (but not before) the 21st week of pregnancy and is almost always viable after the 27th week. In months, that's the first five months of pregnancy are okay for abortion, but the fetus has grown viable from months 7-9.

However, I imagine it's pretty rare for someone to go through nearly if not more than seven months of pregnancy and then go "eh I think I want an abortion now" (trauma and illness excluded)

From the essay I'm making, it's said that by the 28th week, it's now a premature birth, in other way, becomes viable.

Nope, I don't think so either