StarFox-a-Fest

Falco'sFinest

I've never played Star Fox 2. I don't think it was released? But somehow people get copies. Go figure.

And yeah, I think you're in the right place.

I didn't know that you could pick who you are in a Star Fox game that's not in multiplayer.

But I would suggest going with Fox, he is the man after all, or the fox, whichever you prefer to call him.

Or if you're tired with him, then you could try Falco, he is the "Ace Pilot" after all.

You probably get extra barrel roll powers with Peppy. Haha

First, let me start by giving you some internet points and a thumbs up for trying to actively give a call to arms to our sadly neglected furry franchise :). Also, from one relative newbie to the website - Welcome!

I haven't actually played StarFox 1, 2, Adventures, or Command (Leaving only SF64 and Assault), but I like to call myself a fan. Got around to fandom (I suppose) a couple weeks ago after a few times playing through Assault and realized how powerful nostalgia is).

I have been meaning to get around to installing an emulator on my computer to run through SF 1 and 2 (by the way, have a emulator you recommend?), but I have been currently caught up trying to figure out how to mod my Wii to play a digital copy of Adventures that I ...came across... I think I might skip over Command, it might be too heart breaking from what I understand but I will never discourage somebody else from getting a hold of it. I also need to figure out how to hack together a decent USB controller so I can play my good ol' SF64 on my computer...least that emulator seems to work lol.

I think I might skip over Command

Good decision. I personally don't think Command was that good of a game, but that's my opinion.

I have the N64 with StarFox 64 as well, but my problem is I played the game too much and now the joystick module is gimpy and doesn't work very well :(

(Ok, truth is Mario Party and Super Smash Bros. probably messed the controller more than my StarFox playing, but still haha)

I would go and buy a new aftermarket controller but I am a bit conscious about spending and realize most of them are pretty bad quality anyways. Besides, I just know one day the N64 will go kaput on me unexpected and I will be very sad not having a way to replace my beloved console (or worse, the battery in the cartridges will go out so it won't save or even the pins get corroded and unable to use)...With an emulator I feel like I have some assurance I won't lose my games. Just wish Project64 worked better as far as emulation goes, but I guess I will have to wait until an aftermarket N64 to make sure I have yet another backup option . I was wondering if I could just rewire an old Xbox controller (I know I could buy a new one that has USB, but I like little projects sometimes) with a USB and use that instead for N64 games (Left joystick is motion, right joystick C-buttons, then A, B, Z where I feel comfortable), but I also have a fun idea of trying to make a model of a N64 controller and just pull apart another controller to get an authentic N64 controller feel while playing an emulator.

I will definitely have to work on getting a hold of the Zsnes emulator and StarFox 1 and 2 when I get a desktop up and running on my own. I am currently preoccupied trying to buy a house and figure out my financial status there haha. It's a bit of a mess overall

I think I might skip over Command

Honestly, even after all I've said (and wrote) about Star Fox Command, I might just pick it up for the gameplay, and ignore the non-canon story. I watched a few YouTube videos of some gameplay, and, I'm ashamed to say this, but it looks pretty fun. By the way, rewiring an XBOX controller sounds like a pretty interesting concept.

By the way, rewiring an XBOX controller sounds like a pretty interesting concept.

Its actually pretty easy from what I understand. Just got to have a wire stripper, electrical tape, and a bit of time. Turns out the wires in a Xbox controller almost match up completely with a USB.

wiring.jpg

The bigger project I wish I knew how to tackle would be to build a Nintendo 64 controller from a model or cast that I could make from lead. I am not experienced in plastics :/

...and ignore the non-canon story.

Are you for sure that it's non-canon? Because I've heard that, but had no actual proof.

Are you for sure that it's non-canon? Because I've heard that, but had no actual proof.

Not sure I know what you mean. Are you asking if Command is considered canon?

FYI, you can buy repair kits for N64 controllers. It isn't that hard, as the control stick is a module that is held in place by like four screws. Easier than rewiring an Xbox controller. To do that right, you need a soldering iron, a heat gun, and heat-shrink tubing. Contrary to popular belief, electrical tape is not for holding wires together, it is for insulating them. You need solder for that. Heat-shrink, however, looks nicer than electrical tape and helps hold the splice together..

Also, piracy is bad and we prefer it not be discussed around here.

FYI, you can buy repair kits for N64 controllers. It isn't that hard, as the control stick is a module that is held in place by like four screws.

Also, piracy is bad and we prefer it not be discussed around here.

That actually brightens my week up hearing that you can still get N64 replacement parts. I figured they stopped manufacturing those years ago. Yeah using the electrical tape would be a real cheap and not ideal way of accomplishing my goal and I only resort to that because I don't know about the process of shrink wrapping wires. I've heard from the websites I was looking through that soldering and flux wasn't required

Consider it non-discussed :-). I was actually planning on taking actions that would keep me on the legal side - since I believe pirating Nintendo products especially related to StarFox to be counterproductive to getting a new game from them lol.

Not sure I know what you mean. Are you asking if Command is considered canon?

Right. I really disliked Command, and if I know for sure that it's not canon, that makes things a whole lot better.

Right. I really disliked Command, and if I know for sure that it's not canon, that makes things a whole lot better.

I believe most fans feel that it is not canon. Even those that enjoy the game find that it is difficult to continue making games after Command with its multiple endings even with the inclusion of its 'default' ending. After reading through the endings that are a part of Command (as I haven't played it and may never) I feel like it shouldn't be considered canon because it really does kill off a possibility of a next game without changing the very quintessential things that make StarFox (alluding to fanfiction that I have read which concludes the canon ending of Command is Fox and Krystal split up and Fox goes rogue through some means - has promise for good game material, but not necessarily StarFox)

For the record, as pictured in this thread, I own StarFox...so it is completely legal for me to play a ROM on my computer and is not piracy. Piracy certainly is bad, but that term gets thrown around to everybody for using an emulator.

As for StarFox 2, it is unreleased. Really, I doubt users playing an unreleased game from the 90s will have any effect whatsoever on Nintendo potentially making future titles. However I think I could probably use a clarification on that. Discussing StarFox 2, allowed? Emulators, no?

Mmmm...Wisdom this one speaks! *insert Yoda voice*

I was kind of wondering how the discussion of emulators slipped under the radar but I guess since it is discussing the use of a SNES emulator, its way beyond the scope of seriously damaging the business of Nintendo through piracy. I was going to purchase a physical copy of Adventures so I would stay on the legal side and have the digital copy that I have now (but have not been able to play because my computer is too slow to run Dolphin and I haven't done anything with the Wii yet). I like to have my backup options and not spend more money than I have to...but I still have to wonder how seriously piracy must be taken when regarding a game that is no longer produced and only used copies float around the general public, I can't really see the benefit companies are having in selling cheap used games....(Admins, if you feel this a worthy discussion elsewhere then I will drop it and bring it up in the appropriate place. No hard feelings!)

On the topic though :)

Is there a lot of all-range-mode in SF2? I can only imagine it being played as such with the way you are describing it. It keeps looking more awesome every time you post a picture and talk about it. Again, I comment on how its a shame that they didn't take the more immersive aspects of the SF2 and incorporate it in later games. Then again, it also puzzles me how the game wasn't really released to the public - any insight/thoughts on that Falco'sFinest? I wonder if down the road Nintendo could just re-release SF2 but updated to today...

To answer your question...yes. Corridor Mode is practically nonexistent in this one. :-)

I do enjoy on-rails shooting, but when I read that...

puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face.jpg

Man, I gotta be honest with you. I want to flood this thread with pictures and tell you everything about this game, but I am firm a believer in discovering a game through gameplay. I think the best way to tell someone about a great game is force them to play it. I really encourage you to play this game.

You sir, are a gentleman of high standards. :D

I applaud your restraint haha

Well I've only got 4 medals left on Normal mode in StarFox 64. The levels left are Solar, Sector Z, Zoness, and Venom.

I went back and enjoyed another game of StarFox 2 on Expert. I found a couple more Pepper Coins. That brings my total to 15:

starfox2scorefoxfay.jpgstarfox2scores.jpg

Pepper coins? Lol! I can only imagine what those are used for. This game certainly looks interesting.

Hmm... okay, so when the difficulty is higher, there's more health? Never seen that before. I would figure there would be less health.

I remember in a PM that someone posted on Arwing Landing from Dylan Cuthbert stating that he wouldn't reveal hidden features in the game, but he does state that not all the features in the ROM are enabled since it's still technically in debug mode. (Even with the overlays disabled and damage to Corneria enabled.)

I guess that would explain it, because I've collected 51 Pepper coins, which I believe is all I can find in the game and nothing has happened.