Synapsepilot's Starfox stuff

Synapsepilot

Hello everyone! I will update this thread with the starfox stuff I draw, build, etc. Right now I do not consider myself that great at drawing, I am hoping your comments and suggestions will help me improve. My updating is heavily dependant on whatever type of project I am working on, school work load, interest, stuff like that.

First up is an Arwing, my first serious attempt at Starfox fanart. I drew it from memory, pretty sure the wings are wrong, plus my scanner aint that great.

I have a few ideas of things I want to draw and build later on that you guys may find of interest...

• Like 3

The design's correct insofar as Star Fox 64 goes - IMHO, you have the wings right. I just had to tilt my head to see the architecture. Good job - just bear in mind that the Arwing design changed multiple times over the course of the series. Still, I like it.

I'm a bit glad that you're starting off with SF64's arwings; they were the best looking in my opinion. ^_^

Cornerian capital ships on patrol prior to the Lylat wars. The planet? Perhaps Zoness prior to invasion. These are the cruisers similiar to the ones from the sector-Y mission in SF64

Plus some rough sketches of SF64 cornerian fighters and a fighter pilot. I enjoyed sketching the pilot, perhaps he will reappear in later drawings. It took me forever to find a good reference for the Cornerian fighter, playing the Katina level until I was able to capture one on screen in the pause menu. :hehe:

For the pilot I based his flight suit off of modern military flight suits. I originally wanted to go with a high-altitude pressure-suit, but opted to stay closer to Bill Grey's uniform instead. Perhaps later on...

I agree. I do like the assault arwing though, looks more like spaceship than a jet.

I like these a lot, Synap! Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The pilot doesn't look too bad. But he could definitely use some work. The anatomy isn't right. The head looks decent, but his arms and legs look flat, because your drawing them from a dead on view, with no shading. The way you drew his feet, and that his legs look like there bowing a bit, makes it look like he's trying to stand up straight, but is sort of squatting. I'm terrible at explaining these things, lol. But I hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been drawing?

I like these a lot, Synap! Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The pilot doesn't look too bad. But he could definitely use some work. The anatomy isn't right. The head looks decent, but his arms and legs look flat, because your drawing them from a dead on view, with no shading. The way you drew his feet, and that his legs look like there bowing a bit, makes it look like he's trying to stand up straight, but is sort of squatting. I'm terrible at explaining these things, lol. But I hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been drawing?

Thanks for the feedback. About four or five months ago I decided to take up drawing as a real hobby. Nevertheless, I have a long way to go.

Well, that considered, you've got skill. I bet with some more practice, you'll get pretty darn good. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that considered, you've got skill. I bet with some more practice, you'll get pretty darn good. :-)

Thanks for the kind words.

Here is a Bulldog Unit squadron patch concept, which would be worn on Bulldog unit's flight jackets. What do you guys think? Perhaps I will color it later on. Now I just need to think of something for Husky Unit...

I have to say, I love that slogan. :P The artwork is quite appealing too; maybe a green/white/yellow color scheme would look nice. :P

maybe a green/white/yellow color scheme would look nice.

Perhaps something like this?

• Like 1

Perhaps something like this?

Yup, that just blew away my expectations. Looks awesome IMO. :P

This one I sketched out of boredom, not that impressive, but I thought you guys would find it of interest. Krystal in her Cloudrunner encountering a P-51 Mustang :shock::cool: . I am still trying to come up with the exact story behind it, perhaps I will create a fanfic later. Anyways I was not completely happy with it and am currently recreating a better picture with a FAR more impresive perspective, which I will have up sometime over the week...

WWII dogfights just got to a whole new degree of awesome....

What if Starfox was fused with WW2 rather than Metroid? If so, I called it first.

I tried to create a first person perspective from in the cockpit of a P-51D encountering a (friendly or hostile?) arwing. Haven't decided upon the story behind this, it could be obvious that the arwing some how arrived at Earth during the Second World War, but what if the P-51s some how wound up over Corneria instead?

• Like 1

That arwing looks spot on. I love how you draw aircraft. :D

That arwing looks spot on. I love how you draw aircraft. :D

Wow thanks! That really means alot. :-)

I have mentioned Starfox using spacesuits in the game speculation thread, So I gave drawing it a try.

I wanted this suit to be a general purpose space suit. It could be used as a flight suit, walking on the surface of celestial objects, space walking, maybe even operable underwater if necessary. I drew (no pun intended) inspiration from the apollo space suits, concepts drawn by Werner Von Braun, and several other retro concept designs.

• Like 1

I'm sure you've already heard, though I adore your artwork and themes, synapsepilot. Especially that above drawing from the cockpit of a WWII era fighter-aircraft; that was pretty awesome.

I'm sure you've already heard, though I adore your artwork and themes, synapsepilot. Especially that above drawing from the cockpit of a WWII era fighter-aircraft; that was pretty awesome.

Dude, that looks awesome! Keep up the good work. ^_^

oh-stop-it-you.jpg

Thanks for the encouragment guys, once summer vacation starts I will hopefully be able to start working on more ambitious works (which may or may not include a rocket powered arwing model :cool: )....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We really do not hear a lot about Corneria's military, and all the awesome stuff they potentially have.

Here is a branch of Cornerian Space Command that I made up. This guy is a space commando. These guys would deal with recon and sabatoge work. He is armed with a photon rifle and that round thing is a space limpet mine. Think of these guys as the Navy frogmen from WW2 of space, or the Navy SEALS of space.

And what would a fan made thing from the Starfox universe be without a little fan made backstory?

After a majority of the Cornerian fleet was knocked out of action during the Sector-Y skirmishes, the Cornerian navy was unable to meet the Venomian navy on even terms for the rest of the conflict. Unable to engage in conventional space warfare, Cornerian high command saw it fit to form the space commandos. Rather than engage the Venomian navy directly, space commandos would sabatoge vital enemy space installations and conduct recon missions. The space commandos executed many a daring raid deep into enemy space, this ranged from planting explosives on capital ships in space dock to gathering intel on Andross' latest weapons. It is rumored that the space commandos are responsible for the Spyborgs malfunction, causing the destruction of Venom's prized secret weapons development facility in Sector X. After the first Lylat war the space commandos were largely disbanded, with a few remaining for anti piracy duties. During the Aparoid invasions, despite a magnificant defense and last stand, the space commandos were nearly wipped out, due inpart to the space commandos few current numbers, and the power armor's suseptability to aparoidization

I am still practicing with shading, and I wish I went into more detail in some places.

cornerian_mechanized_space_infantry_by_s

• Like 2

I have to be honest, I didn't read the background story because I don't care too much about stuff like that, unless I'm reading a fanfiction. :lol:

The drawing itself looks good; the shading, however, is done very lightly. If you darkened it up, I'm sure it would pop out more. I also think you did a decent job on the anatomy. :)

Interesting concept and design, though you might tell us how they get their tail into the armor, for those who have a long one (like foxes). Like the painted shark jaw on the helmet.

I agree the shading could be a little darker.

The thing bothering me however is the left hand : even if that weapon (a grenade launcher ?) might pack a lot, your character is in a position where he may need to turn quickly, as far as his suit allows it. In order to do that, he can't have his left hand behind the trigger, it stops him to move his torso. That kind of hand position happens when one is holding a sniper rifle or a machine gun put on the ground with a tripod or something like that, where he doesn't need to turn fast. That means something else than the gunner is "holding" the weapon's weight. In this drawing, no ground, your guy is holding the weapon all by himself. So he needs to have a more practical pose. On the other hand, he's in space, so the weight thing is a bit irrevelant. I think however he should have his left hand hold the gun's barrel or a handler under the barrel.

Other than that, no big errors on the anatomy. So... keep practicing.

Interesting concept and design, though you might tell us how they get their tail into the armor, for those who have a long one (like foxes). Like the painted shark jaw on the helmet.

I agree the shading could be a little darker.

The thing bothering me however is the left hand : even if that weapon (a grenade launcher ?) might pack a lot, your character is in a position where he may need to turn quickly, as far as his suit allows it. In order to do that, he can't have his left hand behind the trigger, it stops him to move his torso. That kind of hand position happens when one is holding a sniper rifle or a machine gun put on the ground with a tripod or something like that, where he doesn't need to turn fast. That means something else than the gunner is "holding" the weapon's weight. In this drawing, no ground, your guy is holding the weapon all by himself. So he needs to have a more practical pose. On the other hand, he's in space, so the weight thing is a bit irrevelant. I think however he should have his left hand hold the gun's barrel or a handler under the barrel.

Other than that, no big errors on the anatomy. So... keep practicing.

These guys have had their tails amputated, as I imagine most of the Cornerian military may require. Though tails look cool on our anthropomorphic characters, in a combat situation tails could have serious draw backs. They could easily be grabbed in close combat, get caught in things, , or just get cut off for that matter something you DO NOT want happening when fighting in the vacuum of space. In fact, if you look closely at the Cornerian pilots in the SF64 ending, you will notice they have no tails (or at least none that I could see). Starfox characters are built like that of any human, and we do not have tails, so in theory being without a tail should cause no problems.

His weapon does look a lot like a grenade launcher now that you mention it. It was supposed to be a laser weapon, with the clip as some sort of battery pack, and that big openeing as a lense rather than a barrel.

Thaks for the information on the way he is holding his weapon, I will definantly keep that in mind in future works.

• 1 month later...

Here is a cover to a fan-comic I am working on. The setting is 200-300 years prior to SF64.

starfox__lancer_squadron_cover_by_synaps

• Like 1