Why did we never get a Star Fox Wii?

ShutUpNavi

Alright, with the Wii U coming out in a few months time I think it’s safe to say that the chances of us ever getting an original Star Fox game for the Wii are as close to 0% as you can get.

With that in mind I have to ask why did Star Fox sit out an entire gaming generation. There should have been plenty of time to make one, as over 6 years passed from Command to the end of the Wii’s life span. As far as I can tell Shigeru Miyamoto and a few other game developers expressed interest in creating a Wii Star Fox. Yet despite all the rumors over the years we never got one.

Why do you think that is? Do you think Nintendo just wasn’t able to come up with any concrete ideas for how a SF Wii could work? Do you think Nintendo just couldn’t find any game developer suitable for the job? Perhaps Nintendo didn’t think a SF game could sell well enough to turn a profit. Or do you think Command just did that good of a job at bringing the series to a crashing halt?

I just think after SF:C too many people were riding Miyamoto's ass an how the game was, in the full use of the word, ... *Grand trumpet enterance* shit.

Like with any good idea. It can be used up to a point before it dies out. He's out and the series is done.

Command was just too fresh on peoples minds. That and nintendo is too busy milking the Mario and Zelda cows down to nothing that they dont have time for anything but their now stagnant primary franchises.

Because they focused on other projects. The Wii [insert casual activity here] games were part of it, as was the expansion of other IPs like Metroid and Animal Crossing. Nintendo only has a handful of dev teams. They just don't have the manpower to make a game for every franchise on every system. Plus, they have gotten more conservative on the software front lately, preferring to innovate on hardware instead. This has made them more interested in franchises they know will sell well.

But, I wouldn't worry about it. In retrospect, I am kind of glad there wasn't a Star Fox game on Wii. If the game had come out early in the life cycle, it would have had a terrible motion control scheme. Had it come out later, the controls would be better, but honestly the Wiimote just doesn't translate well to flying games.

• Like 3

Because they focused on other projects. The Wii [insert casual activity here] games were part of it, as was the expansion of other IPs like Metroid and Animal Crossing. Nintendo only has a handful of dev teams. They just don't have the manpower to make a game for every franchise on every system. Plus, they have gotten more conservative on the software front lately, preferring to innovate on hardware instead. This has made them more interested in franchises they know will sell well.

But, I wouldn't worry about it. In retrospect, I am kind of glad there wasn't a Star Fox game on Wii. If the game had come out early in the life cycle, it would have had a terrible motion control scheme. Had it come out later, the controls would be better, but honestly the Wiimote just doesn't translate well to flying games.

Yeah, I at first didn't expect a Star Fox game on the Wii, and in Retro Monday's review of Assault, they said Nintendo didn't want to make a game on the Wii because of the reception of Assault (As we know, it was bad). And like you said, unless you could do Wiimote+Nunchuck or Gamecube control like you can in Mariokart Wii and Brawl, it wouldn't be that great.

You mentioned Animal Crossing as well. Animal Crossing is one of my favourite Nintendo games, but Nintendo could have also gone without making Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii. Why? Didn't have any features in gameplay that were innovative or new, and was just a mix of the original Animal Crossing and Wild World for the DS.

It is kind of sad though that Star Fox did get led into the fate of requiring a "Reboot" as we have seen with the remake of Star Fox 64 on the 3DS. Hopefully we'll see more on the Wii U, but otherwise, maybe it was a missed opportunity!

I'm cautiously optimistic we may see a new SF game next year. Nintendo has been on a "celebrate fracnhises' 2xth year" lately, and 2013 is the 20th anniversary of Star Fox SNES. We've seen it for Mario, Zelda, and Kirby thus far.

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic we may see a new SF game next year. Nintendo has been on a "celebrate fracnhises' 2xth year" lately, and 2013 is the 20th anniversary of Star Fox SNES. We've seen it for Mario, Zelda, and Kirby thus far.

Let's hope they do something good.

Isn't it interesting how Nintendo managed to release Star Fox 64 (or Lylat Wars) for the Virtual Console thus far, but not the original Star Fox?

I wonder if Nintendo had actually bothered to throw some bones for Star Fox ideas within their Kyoto offices to actually help consider another game in the series that is supposedly to be released for Wii. However, thinking about this now is pretty much moot. The only original Star Fox Wii presence we have now are the fighters presented in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and that one boss stage in WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

Reason for no SF1 on VC: The Super FX. All super FX games are absent from VC. It's tough to emulate. Yes, the long-standing emulator projects have done it, but Nintendo's is developed by paid people, and they probably don't feel the work on doing this will be profitable.

On 7/19/2012 at 11:57 PM, DZComposer said:

And Zzz

And after Other M, Nintendo gave up on celebrating Metroid.

Fuck :3

Let's hope they don't do that with Star Fox :|

I think it's because they couldn't think of any concrete ideas as you said plus they were too busy with Mario, Zelda etc.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a new game for the Wii U.

Well, we did get one or two games like Starfox. Blazing Angels is perhaps the closest to a Starfox game. You lead a group of three other pilots, heck, there is even a rival group of German pilots at one point that is like Starwolf, plus an engineer in your squadron who often needs saving, with another pilot being similiar to Falco in some ways. Maybe Nintendo felt that this game filled the need for a flight game on the Wii, or the fact that it (and the few other flying based games for Wii) was so bad that Nintendo feared a similiar occurance with Starfox (which is usually thought of as a primarily flight based game).

Blazing Angels is exactly why I am not sad there was no SFWii. I bought it because it was similar, but the controls were horrid.

Blazing Angels is exactly why I am not sad there was no SFWii. I bought it because it was similar, but the controls were horrid.

Yes, but a lot of Wii games suffered from horrible controls. Driving games in particular.