Crime And Prevention.

ballisticwaffles

After the horrendous shooting at the movie theater in Aurora Colorado, i have been paying attention to the backlash and the resulting discussions it has spawned.

To start, My hearts and prayers go out to the victims and their families, along with the shooter's family who now have to deal with such a disgrace forever marking their family.

But from what i have seen and what i have heard, most attention has been going to the prevention of procurement of the firearms and the prevention of people getting weapons to pull this off. Much has been made of the Second amendment and how it needs to be altered and other such lines of thought.

What i cant help but notice is the distinct lack of talk about how we, as a society, can prevent the mindset that goes into preforming such an idiotic and disgusting act.

It is easy to blame vague notions of video games and movies but what does the community here in SFO think what to blame, and more importantly what to fix to prevent this barbarism from ever occuring again?

First things first. Yes i realize America is Decadent and violent, thank you Europe, we know how much you snub your noses.

Secondoff, Once again my Russian Alias ,yes i am aware people are sheep. Please attempt to inject more than simplistic observations about the behavior of Homo Sapiens into your posts.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZyU6po_E74 first off i saw that on the tube the other day. it was a nice video.

What to do to stop crime? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3st-Hai1y54 Harsher punishment for parrol violaters? : troll :

Altough i think waffles may have a major point there with the early learning thing. I was always told to behave. Now its almost my nature. I find it hard to deffy higher authorties. Its feels wrong. Were i lived it was required to have an officer come in and talk about crimes frequntily commited by my age group. While they were hardly more serious then sexting, it atleast go it into some thick skulls what not to do.

Since people are free to think however they would like, there will be no stopping people with views that society sees as insane. Before we can even blame inanimate objects, however, I believe this country [and the rest of the world] needs to do a better job at finding out just exactly how one's brain works, how mental illness occurs, and what can be done to limit its effects.

Since people are free to think however they would like, there will be no stopping people with views that society sees as insane. Before we can even blame inanimate objects, however, I believe this country [and the rest of the world] needs to do a better job at finding out just exactly how one's brain works, how mental illness occurs, and what can be done to limit its effects.

well, how many criminal commit crimes because of "illness". I agree that its a step forward to understand them, but prehaps isn't a step worth taking yet. I'm worried that mentaly ill ciminals make of a small percentage of criminals

well, how many criminal commit crimes because of "illness". I agree that its a step forward to understand them, but prehaps isn't a step worth taking yet. I'm worried that mentaly ill ciminals make of a small percentage of criminals

They do make up a small percentage of criminals; I'm referring specifically to those who feel the need to massacre a large group of people like in the Colorado killing. A normal person, let alone a normal criminal, wouldn't find that murder on such a large scale is okay.

• Like 1

However, how far would we take this understanding? What if we could find out if someone would be deranged enough to do something like that from birth? Then what?

However, how far would we take this understanding? What if we could find out if someone would be deranged enough to do something like that from birth? Then what?

kill_it_with_fire_Natus_GIF_Athon_4_5-s2

------

In all seriousness, that is an interesting point. However, if our understanding becomes more advanced, we may be able to see a variety of other things that may lead into mental illness; birth may or may not be a factor.

They do make up a small percentage of criminals; I'm referring specifically to those who feel the need to massacre a large group of people like in the Colorado killing. A normal person, let alone a normal criminal, wouldn't find that murder on such a large scale is okay.

I like this point. But something is happening to the psyche of people that this no longer applies to them. Why is this? and how can we assure ourselves that the alteration of the mindset will never happen again?

And as to Kage's point, no steps should be directly taken. However, he should be monitered, at least until he is at an age where the risk drops faster than my dignity.

• Like 1

While crime will always be around, and has been as long as there have been laws to break, one thing that is constant with high crime is depressed socioeconomic status. Where you find poverty, you find crime. Thus, crime is a symptom of a larger problem.

This is the 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one likes to talk about. Societies with higher social mobility and lower income inequality tend to have significantly less crime that societies that are not socially mobile and have high income inequality.

I'm not going to advocate Communism, but a policy focus on social mobility, income inequality, and poverty in general will make greater strides towards lowering crime than all the cops and guns in the world.

Here is a graph that illustrates my point:

Yes, the US is on this graph. You have to look in a pretty extreme part to find it.

I don't agree with where the line of best fit is drawn, but the points themselves do trend higher as inequality rises.

Drug policy is another angle, but even drug violence is affected by socioeconomics.

Now, there are other factors, too. One of the reason the US is so high on the graph is the availability of weapons, for instance. But socioeconomics is so strongly correlated with crime that it is certainly a big driver of it. Not to say the poverty itself causes crime, but it does create the conditions that encourage crime.

I'm not going to advocate Communism, but a policy focus on social mobility, income inequality, and poverty in general will make greater strides towards lowering crime than all the cops and guns in the world.

Why would social mobility, and income equality effect these things. While i am inclined to agree that poverty generally spawns crime, how does the social mobility have an effect ? Other then creating what may be considered a "class trap". In this event crime is commited to make up for lack of what? income possibly? Well then crime rates generally should drop drastically in the event of blossming econemy due to the dissapearence of most income difficenies. In my eyes the only solution you are correct about is correctly poverty. i don't see why income inequality is much of a problem. If the man down the street makes a million a year, and you don't make more then enough survive, he isn't the problem. What you are reffering to is probbably a higher minnium wage. You probably mean for it to fix the lack of income the causes poverty. Social mobility i don't think is a problem, and if it was to be changed how? There will always be the "poor". And if you are ment to succed in America you probably will, my mother is an excelent example. I don't want to have to bring the story up, but she was born into a faimly that could't afford shoes. If there is anything i have learned form 18th centery authors its that rise in class doesn't bring happyness( i mean my god look at movie star sucide rates). While crime amoung the wealthy is numerically lower, it is about proportionaly equal.

Jobs i think bring about alot of good. A working man is a happy one. The income will provide for needs, and crime should drop.

No matter what kind of gun law gets passed or not passed, criminals will still get them. They're criminals, what so they care about a law? Plus, the reason that all these illegal weapons, and drugs for that matter, are getting into the US is from cartels in Mexico. Secure the border and we won't have all these gun and drug problems.

Why would social mobility, and income equality effect these things. While i am inclined to agree that poverty generally spawns crime, how does the social mobility have an effect ? Other then creating what may be considered a "class trap". In this event crime is commited to make up for lack of what? income possibly? Well then crime rates generally should drop drastically in the event of blossming econemy due to the dissapearence of most income difficenies. In my eyes the only solution you are correct about is correctly poverty. i don't see why income inequality is much of a problem. If the man down the street makes a million a year, and you don't make more then enough survive, he isn't the problem. What you are reffering to is probbably a higher minnium wage. You probably mean for it to fix the lack of income the causes poverty. Social mobility i don't think is a problem, and if it was to be changed how? There will always be the "poor". And if you are ment to succed in America you probably will, my mother is an excelent example. I don't want to have to bring the story up, but she was born into a faimly that could't afford shoes. If there is anything i have learned form 18th centery authors its that rise in class doesn't bring happyness( i mean my god look at movie star sucide rates). While crime amoung the wealthy is numerically lower, it is about proportionaly equal.

Jobs i think bring about alot of good. A working man is a happy one. The income will provide for needs, and crime should drop.

I'm not qualified to answer the "why" here, but the data shows this correlation nonetheless. If I were to wager a guess, it is probably that in those countries, unskilled work actually pays a social benefit, but in the US nowadays, you can work as hard as you can and just be spinning your wheels unless you're doing some kind of skilled labor. Also it is not just the lack of personal income, it is the stigma and lack of willingness to help poor people that is a contributor. You'll get a much better explanation be reading the site credited on the graph: http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk

Also, let's be clear, by "social mobility," I don't mean Great Gatsby style going from nothing to being extraordinarily rich. I mean going from the working poor to the middle class.

I know there will always be a bottom, but if you look at the more socially mobile countries, you'll notice that they don't have nearly the poverty problems that the US has. There are very few homeless people in said countries, and the type of poverty you see in them is not nearly as bad as we have here, such as significant numbers of children with food insecurity.

• Like 2

No matter what kind of gun law gets passed or not passed, criminals will still get them. They're criminals, what so they care about a law? Plus, the reason that all these illegal weapons, and drugs for that matter, are getting into the US is from cartels in Mexico. Secure the border and we won't have all these gun and drug problems.

naw naw naw brotha

This topic is called Crime PREVENTION. of course crime will never cease. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be actively fighting it. Just Look at police!

Well weapons aren't illegal. The other topic had a link to walmart selling fully automatic weapons. The problem is people aquiring weapons they shouldn't have. As for drugs. Mexico isn't the problem, South American countires are. And to a large extent the dealers with in america. If they had no contacts we would have some many drug problems. besides. Most weed is domestically grown. my father Worked for the national guards and often scouted out farms.

I'm not qualified to answer the "why" here, but the data shows this correlation nonetheless. If I were to wager a guess, it is probably that in those countries, unskilled work actually pays a social benefit, but in the US nowadays, you can work as hard as you can and just be spinning your wheels unless you're doing some kind of skilled labor. Also it is not just the lack of personal income, it is the stigma and lack of willingness to help poor people that is a contributor . You'll get a much better explanation be reading the site credited on the graph: http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk

Also, let's be clear, by "social mobility," I don't mean Great Gatsby style going from nothing to being extraordinarily rich. I mean going from the working poor to the middle class.

I know there will always be a bottom, but if you look at the more socially mobile countries, you'll notice that they don't have nearly the poverty problems that the US has. There are very few homeless people in said countries, and the type of poverty you see in them is not nearly as bad as we have here, such as significant numbers of children with food insecurity.

Your data does show a correlation. How connected the two are is debatable. I have yet to be convinced. It would be like saying the rate of video games selling has increased, and the bathrooms across form game stop now need to higher more staff. Prehaps there is somthing to it... prehaps not.

I understand. Thoase people who hop from poverty to throwing money into the wind are outliers. And I deffintently think a large middle class would be excelent. But i think that these need to occur through education an a skilled work force. Jobs need to open up that pay well and require skill sets. How socialy mobility will occur is unclear to me. But i'm not for it in every form. It should occur through natrual actions in the econmy. Not some goverment plan.

"it is the stigma and lack of willingness to help poor people that is a contributor" unfortunatly some of the poor give a terrible name to others. My mother, rents a home out in atlanta. the couple living in it hav a child, iphones, and bigger flat screen tv's and sound diveces then we own. The male wants to be a famous rap star, and the female work down the road at the grocery. And every mounth the rent is paid by the state of georgia. Now this example may be a little harsh. But it is sure as hell dissapointing. Americans need to change their idiolgy about spending money. I recall some stastic stating the average indian( from india) saved 40% of their in come, compared to the 7%- 10% of the average american. Now india is pretty poor. But the rising middle and higher classes are making out well, and the only reason they have so many poor people is a lack of jobs to support a terribly big population.

Treating drug addiction like a crime problem is going nowhere. It just puts a lot of people in jail, and causes the rise of organized crime. Portugal decided to tread drugs as a public health problem instead, and it is working wonders over there.

• Like 2

Selling drugs or doing is a crime. i mean seriously?

1.this drug dealer could be selling it to kids(nice community?)

2. Your slowly destroying your body and making yourself addicted to it making you waste your money(nice family?)

3. some drugs make you crazy or make you do dumb things like killing(cool life?)

They deserve to go to jail and think about what they've done, then they can star over if they want. But in this case that guy who killed like 12 people deserves to die.

2. Your slowly destroying your body and making yourself addicted to it making you waste your money(nice family?)

3. some drugs make you crazy or make you do dumb things like killing(cool life?)

They deserve to go to jail and think about what they've done, then they can star over if they want. But in this case that guy who killed like 12 people deserves to die.

Well the question wasn't about the morality of drugs. Its finding a solution. Treating like a health care problem supposidly helps.

"Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[15] It has been proposed that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[16] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [16][17]while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[18][19]"

Although acorrding to this stat, its not helping the drug problem. Just keeping more people out of jail, and deacreasing aids cases.

Better tell that to the big pharmaceutical companies - they aren't too subtle in their operations, they might get caught by the police one of these days. They could learn a thing or two from street dealers. XD < / sarcasm>

I'm sorry, but people demonizing drugs is hilarious to me considering practically everyone on the planet uses them (whether with a doctor's permission or otherwise) - we're so concerned with babying people telling them when it's acceptable to use them and when it's not, and often we get it wrong too. Lulz.

However, on the primary topic, I think that income inequality is a huuuuuge motivator for crime and certainly doesn't help peoples' mental states either. People steal because they feel it's easier than going the straight and narrow, that doing things legit is impossible or impractical. Single mothers working their asses off to make ends meet don't notice the warning signs that something's wrong with their kids, and they don't have the time or energy to teach 'em better. Even families with two parents have them both working usually, so they're both so stressed they don't do much better and might even unknowingly take out their anger on their kids, leading to serious mental hangups as the kids grow up. Mental issues go untreated because there is a social stigma that makes one a social pariah if they openly seek help, condemning many to never seek help. Still more never know that they need help because they're just that confused, and everyone is so consumed with survival that they never notice these cases. More severe punishments are not going to stop someone from doing what they feel they HAVE to to survive, it's only going to embitter and damage people and their lives and that stuff is downright contagious and will only bring misery on the rest of us.

Getting at the source of the problem is the only solution I feel, but unfortunately the people in power in the US are so detached and removed from the ills of the majority (and many probably sociopathic as heck to boot, so having the mentally ill try to cure what ails us is rather futile anyway) that I doubt change will happen quickly if ever. The obsession with not spiraling down into a financial pitfall is turning our whole country mental I fear, and that kind of cycle is rather difficult to break. I think only compassion tempered with sense and intelligence can chip away at that, but with so much anger and fear in the air making that bug spread is rather difficult.

If someone has it strongly in their mind to do something, they will, no matter how many laws you pass or how many barriers you put in the way. The only true solution is to remove their motivation for doing so in the first place.

Portugal did NOT legalize drugs. Dealers still go to jail over there. It's just that instead of throwing users in jail, they require them to take addiction treatments. And guess what, it freaking works! The dealer problem will solve itself if the addiction problem is solved due to simple Supply/Demand economics.

It was a shift of focus: Instead of treating drugs as a crime issue, they treated them as a health issue, WHICH ADDICTION IS!

You can't simply decide to stop taking crystal meth one day. That shit is addictive. If you stop, you get cravings that can sometimes be debilitating. Addiction is a disease. The body literally develops a requirement for the drug. You don't fix this by throwing people in jail, you fix it by correcting the body's supposed need for the drug, IE with medical intervention.

Many addicts know they are fucking up their lives, but they can't stop. It's the addiction. It makes them literally ill if they do not satisfy their need for the drug.

Also, if you think people can't use drugs while in jail/prison, I can get you a great deal on some oceanfront property in Omaha, NE.

Fewer addicts means fewer people strung out on PCP going on violent rampages. The idea is break the addiction, and they won't be out there strung-out and acting-out.

I love how you assume the CO shooter was on drugs, when it's looking more likely he was developing schizophrenia. Does a schizophrenic deserve to die if they did not know what they were doing? The law says no. Ethics says no. You institutionalize this person. Make them live the rest of their life under psychiatric care.

Portugal did NOT legalize drugs. Dealers still go to jail over there. It's just that instead of throwing users in jail, they require them to take addiction treatments. And guess what, it freaking works! The dealer problem will solve itself if the addiction problem is solved due to simple Supply/Demand economics.

It was a shift of focus: Instead of treating drugs as a crime issue, they treated them as a health issue, WHICH ADDICTION IS!

The problem is that drug rates in portugal and countires who take similar action, like italy have increased! I think heavy users deffinently need to be institionalized and treated for addiction rather then jail. But i also belive there has to be harsh punishment for the selling of drugs. the video i posted earlyer may present the best soultion concerning patterns, finding out were the dealers are, and how they get it, who gives it to them and then punish the source the most. Dealers are in it for the money. The problem is the source. Most weed sold in the US is grown in the US, Most meth is cooked here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeeC8lSfbxo commericals like this and the dangers of drug being told to the new generation is what will stop the demmand for drugs. It won't ever cease, and it won't slacken off soon. But i have seen the effect education has had on my peers.

My initial source left-out some information (a shame, I liked that source, but alas, I can no longer trust it), but there are some striking figures nonetheless.

Problem users and adolescent usage dropped, while more people overall said they have used drugs. These observations are somewhat contradictory, and possibly explained by subjects being more willing to admit to drug use, but the data was not conclusive enough on that point. You are correct that drug usage in Europe overall has increased as well.

Also, drug prices declined, which could be an indicator of reduced demand. Also, drug-related deaths and HIV infections dropped.

All-in-all, I wouldn't call it a failure, but rather a mixed result. Some metrics were positive, others not. But still, this doesn't mean that treating it as a crime problem is the right way to go about it.

Cannabis is not dangerous, even less so than tobacco, so I see no point in keeping that illegal. That solves a sizable chunk of the problem right there, and would yank the street dealers out-of-business as you damn-well know Phillip Morris will start rolling Ciga-weeds if they were legalized. Then it can be taxed and regulated like tobacco is.

Other drugs, decriminalize use and tread addiction as a health problem. Yeah, we should still put dealers in jail, but by giving users an out, you put double-pressure on the dealers from the criminal side and the demand side. Also, fact-based drug education instead of fear-based drug education works wonders.

Also, drug prices declined, which could be an indicator of reduced demand. Also, drug-related deaths and HIV infections dropped.

All-in-all, I wouldn't call it a failure, but rather a mixed result. Some metrics were positive, others not. But still, this doesn't mean that treating it as a crime problem is the right way to go about it.

Cannabis is not dangerous, even less so than tobacco, so I see no point in keeping that illegal. That solves a sizable chunk of the problem right there, and would yank the street dealers out-of-business as you damn-well know Phillip Morris will start rolling Ciga-weeds if they were legalized. Then it can be taxed and regulated like tobacco is.

Other drugs, decriminalize use and tread addiction as a health problem. Yeah, we should still put dealers in jail, but by giving users an out, you put double-pressure on the dealers from the criminal side and the demand side. Also, fact-based drug education instead of fear-based drug education works wonders.

Drug prices declining could mean anything, maybe there are more people out there selling? Maybe business is slacking.

Its deffintently not a failure, and with more time and results i'd actualy like to see what occures. Drug addiction isn't a crime, but i stand with dealing and producing to be serious.

Canndabis IS a dangerous drug, less so then tabaccco, but undeinably dangerous. The health effects it presents are diffrent then tabbaco, which effects your pyhsical state over longer periods of time, rather then weed which effects the mental. Weed would cause problems greater then the ones tabbaco presents to young adults. The high is suppose to impair your ability to operate heavy machinery, including cars. And kills motavation. Thats what i worry about. Kids already die by the thousands from drunk driving, and i'm sure in the event weed is legalized education would drop, a little at the least. Prehaps they'd bounce back but i can't say. But i don't see it becoming legall anytime soon. To be honest we are moving closer to making tabbaco illegal, i hardly think any new drugs will be leaglaized soon.

The state of gerogia has done an excelent job in providing the facts i need to assure myself to not do drugs. But not everyone is like me. I'm sure attacking the problem in allways including the emotions like fear and regret help. Stastics provided cement my feelings on drug use.

We had to watch videos about people who's lives have been affected my drugs and their own stories and perceptions of it. It makes you sad.....but we're emotional beings, it teaches the lesson.

I think we should be able to have quicker drug laws pass through congresses aswell. Its hard for states to band things like bath salts when the chemical forumal can be changed to get around the law.

I'm sorry, but cannabis is NOT on the highly dangerous end of the drug spectrum. Alcohol is much much worse yet legal. People on alcohol have impaired judgement - people on cannabis are usually too paranoid to drive or do reckless things while driving that get them into accidents the way drunk people do. Nobody has ever overdosed on cannabis - many have on alcohol however. Cannabis has less inherent addiction qualities than CAFFEINE for chrissakes (on some measures anyway). http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Addictive_Properties Tobacco has nicotine added to make it highly addictive, and while both will probably cause things like lung cancer at least the lack of addictive additives in weed makes it more of a choice for the user - and really, I could care less if a person wants to do that to themselves, it's their life. We shouldn't be telling people what to put in their bodies - only telling them the responsibilities and consequences that go with it and help them when they need or ask for help with an addiction. Treating people like children with drug laws doesn't work and only feeds the criminal element. People will get the drugs whether we outlaw them or not, but lessening their negative affects on society IS possible.

Canndabis IS a dangerous drug, less so then tabaccco, but undeinably dangerous.

its dangerous, maybe the least of our worries, but dangorus. Its also a gate way drug.

Saying it's undeniably dangerous does not make it so. I don't do any sort of drug, but really the biggest problem with marijuana is possible lung conditions way down the road, and it being laced with something. Otherwise, it's effects are similar to alcohol, except it's not a mood elevator so you won't have an angry or extremely depressed high like you can with a drunk. And while no one has, it is technically possible to overdose on it, since people have lethally overdosed on water, though the amount of marijuana you'd need to do would be astronomical. And as for being a gateway drug, that's on the person, not the drug. That's from people going, "I did pot just fine and nothing happened, I bet I can handle crack cocaine just fine, too." Also marijuana is not physically addictive. Someone might become dependent on it, but that's different, and contrary to popular belief, not the fault of the... oh I can't think of the word right now, so I'll say material. For example, sleeping pills are easy to become dependent on, but it's not an addiction. At not point does your body physically need sleeping pills or it goes into withdrawals and fails to function normally. What it is, is a mental problem where someone takes sleeping pills after a stretch of not getting proper sleep, and gets it in their head that they can't sleep at all without sleeping pills, so they continue to take them not as an aid, but because they believe it'll be the only way they get any sleep, despite not actually needing them. In this regard, someone can keep using marijuana because they believe that to find things enjoyable, or for them to be a pleasant person to be around, they need to be high. But that's not on the drug, it's on the person.

Marijuana being dangerous is a matter of relativity. It's dangerous in so far as it has negative health conditions from prolonged use, but in the same regard, so is sunlight. If you compare it to not using it, then yes, it's dangerous. If you compare it to things like excessive alcohol or cigarettes however, it's not. If you compare eating red meat to not eating red meat, then red meat is dangerous, as there's several cons to red meat. However if you compare eating red meat to eating plumber's caulk, then red meat is not dangerous. What scale are you using to say it is dangerous? What is the comparison?

Note, however, that I don't condone in any way smoking marijuana, as it's foolish and pointless. I do however wish marijuana was legal since it would be taxable, put the hurt on dealers, and would likely be much less of a gateway drug since it'd be in a different playing field, the same one as cigarettes, which means that when it comes to other drugs, more people would likely go, "Whoa, that's some hardcore illegal shit. I don't want any part of that," instead of, "I ain't had any trouble with pot, so I think I'll try heroin."

DZcomposer@ i thought he looked like if he were on durgs(illegal) AND lol he didn't know what he was doing!!! he plan everything. First he went online and got some weapons(two pistol and a M4 assault rifle) and a ballistic vest. Then got some smoke grenades(or something like that) and set explosive traps in his apartment. Yea, he sure didn't know what he was doing...

oh and yes that does sound like a good idea in portugal were they send them to jail and at the same time they get treatment. lol i understood you wrong DZ.

And not all people that sell drugs do them, some are in it for the money, which will not be tolerated by the law.