Opinions on Star Fox 64 3D

Hidi

Am I the only one here who really enjoyed SF643D? This was the game that introduced me to the world of Star Fox!

It's a great remake that's for sure. Superb graphics, nice controls, some good modern touch ups, etc. I dunno, it's just a real good remake. It also helps the base game is one of the best games out there. I like the 3D in it as well, works well for this type of game.

Yes Online would have been most welcome, but eh, what can you do. Nintendo gunna Nintendo sometimes. 

Anyway, it's a great remake. Everyone should get it!

I agree with most people here that the only real issue the game has is the lack of online multiplayer. Just that little bit would be amazing, and even better if they had some sort of progression/customization (Arwing Colors and Designs a la Mariokart 7)

Outside of that, I'd have to say it's an amazing game and the ability to save makes it really good on the go. Simply how easy it is to pick up and play a few minutes has gotten me hooked enough to try to earn medals in the game. The graphics are really good and targeting to run at (mostly) smoother framerate than the original really makes it feel nice to play while still looking amazing (I still can't get over some of the bumpmapping and ground detail in this game, really showed off the 3DS's power at launch).

Funny story about getting the game, since Steam sales have ruined my ability to pay full price, I would never buy a download at full price, but no store around where I live had a copy. It's harder to find since it was a launch title and I just got my 3DS earlier this year. On a hunch, I went to a lesser-known store (K-mart) under the assumption that the crap management would never send their unsold stuff back, and surprisingly they had it. It even rang up for 10 bucks when it had a physical price tag on it for 40. Still the best 10 bucks ever spent.

Honestly, I enjoyed Starfox 64.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Graphically, it's incredibly pretty.  New textures and improved models, gorgeous.  Compared to 64, 3D is stunning in the visuals department, ESPECIALLY on Solar, holy crap Solar.

Gameplay... I don't know if I'm just rusty, or if I'm just not as good with the 3DS controls, but I do find I can't quite get scores quite as high as I managed in my 64 day.  But oh well.  It's still quite fun.  The gameplay is the same, just with a slightly differently shaped controller is all; of course, I don't use the Gyro controls.  And the score attack mode is BEAUTIFUL.  Being able to play any level I want, any time?  Hallelujah!  And while it's mildly irritating, I can certainly see why they separated Score Attack's high score tables from main game's tables.  Even ignoring the fact that Score Attack has a different medal system.

The music is beautiful and updated and gorgeous.

The voices... I love that they were dedicated enough to get as many of the original VA's as they could.  The one thing I *will* complain about though, is the fact that, new voice actor or no, they sound like they tried a little TOO hard to sound as close to the original delivery as they could; the result honestly just makes it kind of jarring for veterans of the 64 version.  Neat touch that they removed Falco's reference to Einstein... I guess they decided there was no Lylat Einstein?  I dunno.  Fox's voice actor did a great job though, this time around.  His voice hasn't changed a *bit*.  Maybe ever so slightly higher-pitched?  But not enough to be noticable.  And the delivery is actually improved in one or two places, like the scream at the end of Venom 2.  And honestly, with one (admittedly massive and glaring) exception, I like Andross' new voice.  The problem?  The LAUGH.  It is far too short, and leaves that opening laugh animation going on for a good several seconds after the actual laugh is over.  It's just... bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to ask that this thread be kept on topic, thanks. [For the record, that topic is Star Fox 64 3D and NOT Star Fox Command.]

Am I the only one here who really enjoyed SF643D? This was the game that introduced me to the world of Star Fox!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this game. I mean, the gameplay is a tad dated, when compared to other games in its field (like Panzer Dragoon), but it's still fun. Multiplayer is fun too, and fairly recently I played against someone my own skill, and our fingers almost bled because VS was so intense at times. There just wasn't enough multiplayer, either online or offline.

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up hating starfox zero mission... I mean starfox 64 (I played the original and thought "Wait... The first boss feels familiar" Looking more into it, starfox 64 feels like a remake of the SNES game, just like how zero mission was a remake of the original metroid) anyway, It was the worst game in the starfox universe to me (Not counting command) But then this remake came and it was said that if this sells well, then they will make another starfox game. So I went and bought it mainly to help towards the next starfox game, but also hoping that it would fix my problems with the original...

And it did! EVERY problem I had with the original was fixed, even things that I didn't even know was a problem. In fact, this is actually my favorite starfox game. Now I can't quite put my finger on why this made it fun for me suddenly, but it did.

Now I do have some complaints with this game.

1. I don't like the writing, its full of bad puns, weird voice acting, the enemies seem really immature like this one guy who gloats and says he admits defeat IF Fox can survive phaze 2, and the cutscenes feel kinda rushed because of the very vague writing. Like general pepper does not seem like he should be a general, this one scene Fox says he sees an enemy base there and pepper says "There is a base there?" And that's it, no orders to see it, no added words, that's just it. I know I criticized Assault for being vague but after playing this game assault is a blessing and I was able to see the glory of the few scenes like Fox and Wolf's talk, dinosaur planet, and a few more.

Random characters- While playing someone named Katt comes out of no where to help you, she is very flirtatious but its not her I have a problem with, its the fact she's a nobody that was not in the previous game, she just comes in, falco says what is she doing here, and she never gives a real answer. Only through research did I find out she was from some comic and her and Falco use to be in the same gang but I didn't know that at first and she just came and went when she felt like it. A little more back story would have been nice.

Everyone kinda sounds like a kid but with their age I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But I also realize that Assault gave me standards, the serious nature of assault, the amazing voice acting and stuff made me think this game was gonna be similar but I was way wrong but I'm not going to blame the game for it since it came before, I just think of it as an improvement.

Alternate paths... I think you need to take one or two for the games real ending, but some are so cryptic. Like in the first level you need to save falco and go through all 7 arches coming from the water, once you do that Falco will spot the enemy and take you through a water fall. If you don't do that (Even if you miss it by 1) falco wont see the enemy and you will be taken to the normal path. 

I would have also prefered if the game didn't have the branching paths.  I wish they would have took all the levels, put them in an order, and made it one long game, each playthrough doesn't take very long and it kinda makes you feel the game was not worth the 40 dollars you spent, the game has 25 possible routes to take and Im probably not gonna take them all, the most I will do is unlock all the levels in score attack and maybe get the medals for them.

No one might have said this before, but in N64 mode, if you quit, the game ends. But in 3DS mode, you can just go back to the main menu without ending the game.

• 10 months later...

I just got Star Fox 64 3D recently, now that I have a 3DS to play it on. I'd say it's every bit as fun as the original Star Fox 64. The only minor thing about it is the voices I wouldn't say are particularly any better or worse - I do think Andross's laugh sounds a bit funny. I thought the N64 version sounded creepier; here it doesn't seem so threatening. Otherwise, I don't have much else to say other than I'm glad to finally have it now.