Windows 8; Love or Hate?

Hidi

Well today is the official release of Windows 8, at least here in North America.

Windows 8 had been released in a series of previews for people to get a sense of what the new OS would be like upon its release. The OS boasted new multimedia and user-friendly functions, and redid what most people identified Windows with. The Start Menu was replaced my the Metro Start Screen which acts as an interface containing shortcuts to your installed programs. The program windows now take up the full screen and require certain key-combinations to close.

My question is for all of you;

Is Windows 8 a good successor to both Windows 7 and XP? And was Microsoft right to cut off Windows 7 so early in its life cycle?

Personally I'm not a big fan of Windows 8. The "One size fits all" idea that they have used was the first thing to get on me as tablets and smartphones are not quite at the level of power that desktops and powerful laptops have. As well, their styles of use are very different. A desktop has a much different use and purpose than a tablet or smartphone.

To use many of the Windows 8 features requires you to sadly further assmimilate your life into the OS as you sync all your beloved accounts and files with specific apps that you either find or download.

The Metro Start Screen to me is a disorganized mess of random tiles that also make no sense whatsoever. The screen in theory goes on infinitely and allows for few systems of organization. Programs now take up the full screen and have a complex and awkward way to get rid of them (They call this OS user-friendly).

Last of all, SecureBoot, which restricts you from installing anything other than Windows. The things that will keep us forever bound to this awkward system until we die.

I think its hardly a successor to XP and 7 as its abandoning a lot of the core features that made Windows 'Windows'. That being said I am actually really excited about eventually getting my hands on Microsoft's Surface. It has all of the portability of the iPad, better hardware, more hardware, and is cheaper too. Oh and not to mention that I will cheer just about everything that challenges Apple and their gimmicks.

(Just realized I was going on about the Windows Surface, not about Windows 8)

I haven't had too much of a chance to play with it as far as how it "feels" but I was initially excited about how the home screen felt. Mentally it works the same as Androids - if you can't seem to find your app on the home page, go to "everything else" and find it there. Technically speaking, it takes a bit of getting used to finding your way around the system properties and doing general IT stuff with it - but after you enable a couple toolbars it works a lot like Windows 7 so I am happy that way.

USB 2.0 and eventually 3.0 on the ARM version. Yes. Unequivocal, Yes. That's possibly the one thing that made me fall for it. To me not having USB on a tablet is like handing me a brick and telling me to do something productive with it. Only so many things you can do with bricks and most of them have nothing to do with computers (or at least the welfare of computers that is). The dual headphone jacks I heard about is a little odd, but heck why not. The keyboard looks a heck of a lot more pleasing than anything I have seen out of Apple. It's not clunky and it makes sense in how it attaches to the screen without slipping it in and out of some plastic encasement.

The hardware requirements of Windows 8 are supposedly going to be less than Windows 7, which will make a lot of people happy by all of a sudden being able to revive older computer like they used to do with Linux (except for a lot more money...for both Linux and Windows in the future...which bring us to...)

Ok so I have determined that Windows 8 is very much better for the tablet and touch screen environment and not for the desktop. IT wise it takes a bit of getting used to finding all of the tools. The Windows button should be a lingering feature of the OS, but I guess I can understand them wanting to push people to their new interface to be a direct competitor to Apple. The complaint that its trying to be the best of both worlds I feel is silly - since they rather easily can fill both roles especially if they can end up making a robust enough OS that will work on the Desktop but slim enough to be fit onto a tablet as well.

I heard heard of this SecureBoot, and I am not sure if I need to be worried or not just yet. Linus Torvalds took a look into the situation himself and downplayed it - but not really at the same time. He was more interested in pointing out that a vulnerability in SecureBoot would make it so Windows wouldn't be able to use the device either. From what I do understand about SecureBoot, is that if its implemented correctly it should be more secure as it will require a signature to be installed to the computer for each piece of software that wants to run and must be verified.

I haven't got a copy of windows 8 yet. And pretty much skeptical of it already. For now going to stick with Windows 7 that I'm happy with.

So how did this subject ended up on the debate category? Just wondering.

As said above, windows 8 is optimized for touchscreens. However, you should note...whether you like it or not...touchscreens are not just for tablets anymore.

As for the Surface:

If you got money in the bank i'd wait until the Pro version of the Surface comes out. Albeit, it will cost an arm and a leg....

ALL DAT POHWUR!!! in such a confined space.

Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V

Windows RT Surface

OS Windows RT; Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote). Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store. Exterior 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37in

1.5lbs

VaporMg casing

Dark Titanium color

Volume and Power buttons Storage 32GB*, 64GB

*1GB = 1 billion bytes; formatted storage capacity may be less Display 10.6" ClearType HD Display

1366x768 pixels

16:9 (widescreen)

5-point multi-touch CPU Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3

2GB RAM

Window 8 Pro Surface

OS Runs current Windows 7 desktop applications and integrates with your existing enterprise management infrastructure. Use the programs and the apps available in the Windows Store. Storage 64GB*, 128GB

*1GB = 1 billion bytes; formatted storage capacity may be less Display 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display

1920x1080 pixels

16:9 (widescreen)

10-point multi-touch CPU 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000

4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory Wireless Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology Battery 42 W-h Cameras and A/V Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing with TruColor

Microphone,

Stereo speakers Ports Full-size USB 3.0

microSDXC card slot

Headset jack

Mini DisplayPort

Cover port

I still can't quite grasp why 7 and 8 aren't separate designations; 7 for desktops and 8 for tablets/touchscreen-enabled devices. The desktop mode of 8 for desktops is useable, yes, but why not use 7 when it is tailored for desktops wholly? How many people actually have a touchscreen desktop computer? 8 looks perfectly fine for tablets and touch-enabled devices as stated above, but why force it onto a desktop when 7 exists and does a better job of it? :/

• Like 2

4GB of RAM ON THE PRO VERSION?!? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

Seriously though if they could just be sure they have some powerful graphic processing on the Surface Pro it really could be a desktop replacement. Wait why is Apple even a contender in the market with this sort of hardware coming up?

Windows 8 really isn't that bad. I hear developers are really hating it but for just your average person? It's not "SO EVILLLL" like everyone wants to think.

I used the consumer preview for quite a while and had a good time with it. Only $40 to get Pro too. I don't really want Pro and wish I could find something about buying other versions on the Windows site, but..... huh.

I intend to get W8 for my own reasons, but will dual boot, probably.

How did it end up in the debate category? Well it could be considered one....I thought it fit here....Or the Lounge.

• Owner/Technical Admin

4GB of RAM ON THE PRO VERSION?!? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

Seriously though if they could just be sure they have some powerful graphic processing on the Surface Pro it really could be a desktop replacement. Wait why is Apple even a contender in the market with this sort of hardware coming up?

That sounds like specs to a computer, not requirements of Windows 8.

Windows 8 has spawned a lot of controversy regarding major changes Microsoft has made to the OS. Most notably the Start screen. To be honest Metro doesn't justify all the hate and criticism Windows 8 is receiving. I would write a wall of text explaining why I think the criticism of Windows 8 is undeserved but I haven't slept in over a day and the only thing running through my blood stream is sugar and caffeine. Which on the scale of natural disasters, none can even compare to this.Thousands of years from now, when historians are looking back on 2012 the only thing they'll be interested in is my caffeine overdose and how it's greatly influenced world events.

Windows 8 really isn't that bad. I hear developers are really hating it but for just your average person? It's not "SO EVILLLL" like everyone wants to think.

I feel the same way about Vista. I only upgraded to 7 because Steve made me.

I feel the same way about Vista. I only upgraded to 7 because Steve made me.

More like because we couldn't find your Vista disc.

Anyways, give it time, Microsoft won't go the Vista way twice, if Windows 8 is a commercial failure, they will quickly come with a version that is not, like it happened with windows 7. I don't recommend upgrading for a while if you are a normal user, give it at least 6 months to know if it's going to be a good OS or not, even with the silly interface.

Gaming wise, windows 8 is giving the same performance as windows 7 machines so...and it was just released. I'm not in the windows 8 boat, but for full pc gamers, this is promising nonetheless.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I cannot be the type to judge something when I know nothing about it. I cannot say I like or hate Windows 8 when I haven't even used it myself, although my views on it are slightly negative simply because Microsoft changed something that was working fine and messed it all up/geared it towards the tablet userbase. That said, I downloaded a release version from MS before 8 was released to retail. I haven't installed it, and if I do it will be on the second HDD. If it ends up I like 8, I will dualboot 7 and 8 until I make up my mind which version I want to stick with. For now, I'll stick with 7 because almost everything works with it. It's going to take vendors some time to release updated software and drivers for hardware compatible with 8, if at all.

They're selling the upgrade to Win 8 Pro for $39.99. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

I need to reformat my home machine anyway, but I am on the fence. The under-the-hood stuff is great, but I hate Metro.

There is this though, so I may just do it. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back-beta-3/

So. I put Win 8 on my computer.

Out of the box it is even more terrible than I remembered.

To shut down the computer, you have to go to the start screen, logout, slide the lock screen up, hit the power icon, and then select shut down. What a god awful use case. Terrible.

Luckily, things can be configured, though it takes a long-ass time and some requires 3rd-party software.

• Like 2

So. I put Win 8 on my computer.

Out of the box it is even more terrible than I remembered. Luckily, things can be configured, though it takes a long-ass time.

Yes, I figured that one out when I first used it. I tried it out and though What the **** am I using?! I specifically bought my laptop when I did to avoid being stuck with Windows 8 on a desktop machine. I do agree it works well for a tablet system as you get a decent system on a tablet, but 7 works much better for desktops.

• Like 1

• Owner/Technical Admin

Is it worth shelling out $60 or $30 for a copy of Windows 8? I did download a release version a few days before it was released and I was considering installing 8 on a seperate HDD to test it. I just haven't done it yet.

They hid the start button.

They HID the start button.

WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO WE LIVE IN WHEN MICROSOFT HIDES THE START BUTTON! (not a good one that's what)

• Like 1

On 10/30/2012 at 2:46 AM, DZComposer said:

To shut down the computer, you have to go to the start screen, logout, slide the lock screen up, hit the power icon, and then select shut down. What a god awful use case. Terrible.

Zzz

The trouble with that is, Alt F4 wouldn't work on a tablet, but I'm not sure. I'll try that next time I find the machine I have with Windows 8 on VM.

• Owner/Technical Admin

ALT - F4 does work easily to reach the shutdown screen. Another simple way is hitting Windows + C, then clicking settings and shut down.

I have successfully driven Windows 8 to bow before me:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This nifty OSS project has allowed me to set my machine up so that it primarily runs in Desktop mode, with a fully customizable start menu, AND allows me to use Metro if I ever choose to without it being shoved in my face. This program will even skip the metro screen entirely and go straight to the desktop (provided the program has time to start before you login)

I still think MS should have left the ability to do this without 3rd-party software, but since I have installed this, I've been enjoying Windows 8's benefits (seems to handle files better, runs much faster than 7, and has a nice little menu with administrative tools that are commonly used by right-clicking where the Start button once was) without having to deal much with it's annoyances. And it took me all of 15 minutes to do.

BTW, If the lock screen annoys you, you can disable it with gpedit.msc. There's a "disable lock screen" option under Computer Policy -> Admin Templates

I have successfully driven Windows 8 to bow before me:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This nifty OSS project has allowed me to set my machine up so that it primarily runs in Desktop mode, with a fully customizable start menu, AND allows me to use Metro if I ever choose to without it being shoved in my face. This program will even skip the metro screen entirely and go straight to the desktop (provided the program has time to start before you login)

I still think MS should have left the ability to do this without 3rd-party software, but since I have installed this, I've been enjoying Windows 8's benefits (seems to handle files better, runs much faster than 7, and has a nice little menu with administrative tools that are commonly used by right-clicking where the Start button once was) without having to deal much with it's annoyances. And it took me all of 15 minutes to do.

BTW, If the lock screen annoys you, you can disable it with gpedit.msc. There's a "disable lock screen" option under Computer Policy -> Admin Templates

I'm glad that you've gotten it to work to your standards, but I can't help but to reiterate the point that you shouldn't have to need third-party software in order to perform these relatively basic and simple functions. You'd think that Microsoft would take note of potential options, such as those mentioned, that users would like to alter.