Water - can you taste it?

Redeemer

Question

I remember making a poll about drinks and stuff, a long time ago really and a couple of members said they don't like water. I think one said they found it boring, another said that they don't like the taste.

Does water have a taste? What is it like in your country? I know it can be harder or softer from various areas on the planet, but how can one not like water? I don't taste anything when I drink it. :/

Water has a very distinct taste, mostly depending on how you get it.

Water from a plastic bottle tastes clean and wonderful, from a water fountain it tastes metallic and iron-e.

"But Waffles!" You might say, most likely pointing a finger upward as if demanding that god prove you right "Water is by definition a tasteless odorless liquid!"

Well first off stop reading the dictionary you NERD. Second off "Nothing" has a taste, as much as it does a look. 

Depends. Water out of a faucet here may have a bit of a metallic taste to it. Pure water however has no taste, and consequently, I'm not a fan nor am I a hater of the taste of water. I like flavor. But to me, water is bland. Still, I'm appreciating water more and more as time goes on.

Conclusion: Water's dangerous and more unstable than furries and ponies combined, thus it should be banned.

• Like 3

Water is best when it's hot, with cream, chocolate powder, topped with whipped cream and sprinkles. My coco.

It stimulates your taste buds, and does replace any taste in your mouth. So yes, it does.

• Like 1

Just thought of something. I prefer to drink water when I'm gaming, or on occasion tea. Just more of a matter of personal preference.

I usually have one can of soda a day, some days none. Otherwise I like to drink orange juice and a lot of milk, usually two or three tall glasses a day.

The absolute best water is when you add carbonation, artificial flavoring, a shit ton of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, Sodium Hexametaphosphate... Sodium Benzoate... Caffeine,  Calcium Disodium Esta, Red 40,Brominated Vegy Oil, Yello 5 and Blue 1.

I can't drink plain water with food. Water will taste like food and food won't taste.

I have to drink something flavored that I can also enjoy.

People might not like it's "plainess." If you use a well, like I do, and the water sits for a few days, sulfur can build up in it and alter it's taste as well.

Water acquires trace properties of wherever it has been before going into your mouths, be it mineral, microbial, or chemical. With this in mind, as others have suggested, the taste of water is highly dependent where it's from. If it tastes of iron or some other metal, it's probably from running through rusty pipes. If it tastes faintly of chlorine, it's probably straight from a water treatment plant. If it tastes, well, mineral-y (a taste which I am at a loss to adequately describe) it's probably got minerals of some kind in it, like salts or calcium, through being sifted through aquifers over a longer period of time. If it tastes awful something probably died in it or thuggish louts are using your nearby source for corpse disposal and you should not be drinking it. It's rare for water to taste like absolutely nothing, and if it does, it's been sterilized and treated very thoroughly to be nothing but pure H2O - which has a variety of uses in industrial or laboratory settings.

Case in point: my apartment shares bathroom and kitchen plumbing, but since the pipes leading from the bathroom to the kitchen are older than those from the bathroom to the water tank, water from the kitchen tap tastes like iron while the water from the bathroom (coming directly from the tank) tastes very little, being fairly pure. Neither is unsafe to drink, obviously, but I prefer the water from the bathroom, because it does not taste like pipes. Directly from the toilet, in fact. I am a dog. How I type???

I also have the privilege of living in a country with an abundance of natural water sources, mostly melting snow from mountains which is collected in large reservoirs connected to residential areas. This water needs minimal treatment and is very close to bottled water in mineral content, but since bottled mineral water is mostly a scam it's not measurably healthier than any other kind of water. Except for water that has dead things in it, which is very unhealthy.

Fun fact, a favorite way of getting rid of an annoying village or town has historically been to toss a bunch of dead things into a river upstream of the aforementioned annoying community. People would then get sick and die from drinking tainted water and the people responsible would point and laugh, because they were thuggish louts, and then some other thuggish louts would throw dead things in their water, most likely the corpses of the aforementioned thuggish louts. However, since water is so essential to our survival our taste buds are fairly well developed to the point where we can tell if water is potable or not - whether or not it is safe for consumption. So if it tastes like ass, it is a likely bet that it isn't good for you. Unfortunately not everyone has a choice and are forced to drink ass water just to survive, causing them to get all kinds of fun horrible diseases like dysentery. Yay!

• Like 1

Case in point: my apartment shares bathroom and kitchen plumbing, but since the pipes leading from the bathroom to the kitchen are older than those from the bathroom to the water tank, water from the kitchen tap tastes like iron while the water from the bathroom (coming directly from the tank) tastes very little, being fairly pure. Neither is unsafe to drink, obviously, but I prefer the water from the bathroom, because it does not taste like pipes. Directly from the toilet, in fact. I am a dog. How I type???

I also have the privilege of living in a country with an abundance of natural water sources, mostly melting snow from mountains which is collected in large reservoirs connected to residential areas. This water needs minimal treatment and is very close to bottled water in mineral content.

Why do you bother commenting? Everyone knows Norwegian water tastes like Odin's piss.

Although I never expected someone to say they drink from the toilet. That would be a funny thing to explain. Even your used toilet water is more pure than most countries...

I play the Red Eyes gray and white Dog in Wide-eyed mode! Ha just kidding.

Erm..it just tastes...like water? Not a fan of lemon water but bottled water tastes like SOMETHING but its difficult to describe.

Shit I voted for the wrong Faisul post as Best Answer. That dog will have to do.

The above Faisul post is what was interesting, thanks!

Water in plastic bottles taste like plastic or chlorine to me, but I drink it anyways. I prefer water in glass bottles from Hot Springs Arkansas or going to a spring on rare occasion to get some water. Water straight from a spring doesn't really have a taste but it's the best and so refreshing.

Hah, holy crap. I post an answer about corpse water and a picture of a stupid goddamn dog and that's what gets voted in as the best answer, that goofy frickin' dog. I love SFO sometimes.

• Like 2

Water in plastic bottles taste like plastic or chlorine to me, but I drink it anyways. I prefer water in glass bottles from Hot Springs Arkansas or going to a spring on rare occasion to get some water. Water straight from a spring doesn't really have a taste but it's the best and so refreshing.

I've been to Hot Springs, for the longest time we had a huge glass jug of Hot Springs water in our kitchen. I'm not sure what happened to it.

There definitely is a taste to water and different regions have different tastes. The tap water in my area is polluted from mining that took place here, so I mostly drink bottled water. The best I've had though was tap water in upstate New York. It was so good and the purist that I've ever drank