To help try to even things out, here's the ONE good thing about Command.

Drewbz

With the overwhelming (and warranted) Command bashing going on, I figured I'd go against the grain and make a thread to discuss the ONE thing I actually did like about Command. That one thing being the RPG element added in. I understand that there was some sort of a similar addition in SF64, but it was performanced based, rather than the player making a choice. I like the idea of players making decisions that affect the story, even if they all loop back around to the same ending, it still gives a more personal feel to the story. Granted, the story in Command was garbage, so there really wasn't much point in making the choices there, but I feel that if Nintendo were to really give Star Fox another serious installment on a console, they should add this feature. I could care less about having 20 different endings, but being able to impact your route through the story is a welcome addition in my opinion.

It had online multiplayer.

It was a lot more reminiscent to the original Star Fox format.

You did have numerous choices to go with even if the endings were all terrible in their own way.

We got to see Slippy in a top hat in one of the endings.

Plenty of Krystal evangelists actually did like the Kursed ending, so they had something to write their lame fanfiction on (Not sure if this one counts or not).

Since Fox's character made no sense at the beginning, we actually got a reaction from Krystal that seemed accurate to fit the situation. I.e. Star Fox tossing her out for a shitty reason, leaving her to find solace and family in the only other place that came to mind; Star Wolf.

Kursed never happend. Krystal never left. I don' t know what you're talking about. Please stop talking crazy.

Kursed never happend. Krystal never left. I don' t know what you're talking about. Please stop talking crazy.

Kursed never happened, Krystal never left, Fox never went crazy, the Anglars didn't exist, Andross was never defeated, Command didn't happen, Lylat isn't real, Star Fox isn't real, it's all just a game, none of the characters make sense, the N64 was not actually released in America, the world as you know it isn't true, and you should start questioning your own existence.

• Like 5

Fun?!

And RECENT Bashing? No, that's old news.

RPG and decision-making aren't really my thing in gaming.

Star Fox, which is known to be a primarily linear game loses that when the process of decision-making is introduced. Sure people didn't like that Assault had a totally linear storyline, but at least it kept the storyline in that consistent unlike Star Fox 64 which had two separate endings. That said, on the SNES there are three different routes, though all result in the same ending.

Another reason Command gets hated on so much is the fact that the game has NO lasting value whatsoever. Think about it - other than a few things you can simply recall, what really carried with you? Compare that to a game with (A little) more lasting value like Star Fox 64. Yeah, that's where a good amount of hate comes from. I can happily recite tons of cheesy lines from Star Fox 64, but could I think of even one thing I remember being funny and/or awesome from Command? Not easily.

The only bit of positive value Command really gave me was considering it one of the few games that even attempted to push the DS to its limits. Not many games sadly did that, and even the Wii suffered from cheap games like so. But for the DS, the texturing and 3D models were pretty good, it's just too bad they didn't take it to the level of Metroid Prime: Hunters. That is the most graphically-demanding DS game I've played.

Hidi, please don't mistake this thread for me trying to defend Command. I hate Command with everything inside of me. However, I liked the RPG elements in it.

Hmm...I think the fact that it gives you choices sounds kinda cool.

You have to beat the game once before you can choose the alternate paths, though. And the "default" ending is probably the worst one. I think it is. It's a truly awful ending.

I agree on the RPG-elements to an extent; Command is the only game other than 64 where your decisions effected the course of the gameplay, though I think Command overdid it a bit (a lot). Having personalized ships and teams, though, was pretty awesome and I'd like to see that carry over into other games.

I also really liked Krystal defending Andross in the one storyline because it gave both of them way more depth than they'd been given before. Unfortunately every ending for Krystal was pretty terrible ("babymaker" or "becomes a solar system outcast for breaking up with Fox", pick your poison) but...they...tried? I guess?

I agree on the RPG-elements to an extent; Command is the only game other than 64 where your decisions effected the course of the gameplay, though I think Command overdid it a bit (a lot). Having personalized ships and teams, though, was pretty awesome and I'd like to see that carry over into other games.

I also really liked Krystal defending Andross in the one storyline because it gave both of them way more depth than they'd been given before. Unfortunately every ending for Krystal was pretty terrible ("babymaker" or "becomes a solar system outcast for breaking up with Fox", pick your poison) but...they...tried? I guess?

Personalized ships? O:

Sweet.

Andross? He's alive? Again? 

No Krystal just hinted at the fact that Andross wasn't banished to Venom for the reasons orginally thought.

His ghost does show up. But yeah, Krystal figures out that his banishment was a lot more ambiguous than we originally thought, which I really liked. And by personalized ships I mean each character has a unique ship with its own specialties. I liked that and that's definitely something you could play with in a more expansive game.

Hidi, please don't mistake this thread for me trying to defend Command. I hate Command with everything inside of me. However, I liked the RPG elements in it.

I don't want to start an argument, but your post is much more contradictory than mine.

You wanted to add a positive thing you liked about the game. That was the RPG aspect of it. That's your opinion, yes, I get that. It wasn't the aspect of the game that I personally gave any regard.

Star Fox, which is known to be a primarily linear game loses that when the process of decision-making is introduced.

I explained some of the reasons Command failed (But there are more than I cared to write about), then I said something I thought was good. As for your comment Manthony, Metroid Prime: Hunters looked better than most of the ORIGINAL DS games. Super Mario 64 DS was for sure better looking, but only because it had something to look better than; that being its original base game.

I did not ever say you were defending Command, and I wouldn't really defend it either. I do encourage Star Fox fans to play it though so they can truly understand the faults of the series and what delivered a potentially series-killing blow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sticking by my wing blasters.

I hate this game, it is not a true addition to the series with its Micheal Bay/Ed wood level of script writing. Unoriginal, half-baked, tired, repeated, bland plot. If I owned this game I'd bury it because its a dead reanimation of something chewed up and spat out by Nintendo.

There are 3 things I liked about Command:

1. Different ships for different characters :)

2. Control scheme

3. Choice-affected story

.... in that order :D

Heres what I liked about Command:

1.  Different ships for everyone

2. You didn't have to play as Fox all the darn time-I was overjoyed I got to play as Falco and I left Fox in the dust and never met up with him.

3. It was pretty fun once you understood how to controls worked, how the darned Tactical Map operated, and so forth.

4. As some have already said-you had several story paths you could take to make the story seeme more personalized, and that was awesome.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Command didn't seem as bad as people make it out to be, to me at least.

Yes the story and endings were deviantArt fanfiction grade filth, we've all heard why and how it's that bad too.

However, a full 3D Starfox game on the Nintendo DS was pretty cool, especially how they actually managed to fit all of the content into the 32MB game.

The music was superb, the gameplay was pretty cool, and the multiple storylines at least gave the game playability, as well as a way for us to pilot things other than Arwings.

Speaking of Arwings, the ship designs were amazing, the Rainbow Delta (Leon's Wolfen) being my favorite out of all of them, and the ways they differed were great. 

And the online gameplay was great, something Starfox 64 3D should have had (no seriously, the lack of online play on a 3DS title seemed really dumb, and it would have gave me a reason to buy 64 3D).

At least Command was an actual Starfox game, unlike Adventures.

I would be a bit cautious on your last point there: not everyone would be inclined to side with you on that point.

As for music, well...It was tolerable, but not amazing. But after Assault, how many scores could beat an orchestrated one? The DS game I enjoyed the music on would've been Animal Crossing: Wild World, but I probably like it since it was one of the DS games I played the most (No wait, I had a near 6-hour dose of Command)....(This is actually true).

Online play on either DS platform makes little to no difference to me. The DS only supports WEP-secured access points given its age, so nowadays it's kind of hard to play with anyone online. With the 3DS, online play would've likely been debunked anyway because Nintendo's been making the transition from Friend Codes to Miiverse/Nintendo Network. While it would be fun to shoot people up here on my 3DS, I hardly ever connect to the internet on that thing.

Impressive use of space (32MB)? I guess so, but they probably could've opted for 64MB which is what the better, more expensive DS games tended to use (Yeah they costed more for the extra memory, but hey, the games played and were worth the extra few bucks). Likely wit extra memory to work with, they would've been able to create a game similar in structure to SF1 which would've been nice. I've always stared at Command and thought of picking up my DS by the sides and playing it like SF1 - the DS has the exact same buttons as the SNES controller.

Wait...what?

350x197px-LL-1887dde5_wait_what.gif

Dat statement...

Although I don't like Adventures, I see it as just unconventional. I felt like I was playing Ocarina of Time (which doesn't sound that bad) but this was Starfox, a space arcade style tube-shooter turned RPG.

Command was a mess beyond messes, Ragnarok for the series if you will. We're at a time when Starfox's fate hangs in the balance because of this game and comparing it to any other game in the series even Adventures is wrong. I just a bad game. But however its there, forever branded the terrible one that will never go away. A stain on Nintendo's pants that you can't bleach out.

Command was a mess beyond messes, Ragnarok for the series if you will.

Vote Star Fox: Command for the September 11th of Star Fox.

Vote Star Fox: Command for the September 11th of Star Fox.

47053_430399871533_500336533_5607123_281

All "real" Star Fox games can be found over there, hanging out with the Scotsmen.

Command doesn't really get more points for being entirely Arwing-based, because it's basically Adventures if the game had been nothing but its horrible uninspired Arwing segments, forever, only with nine times as much terrible plot.

• Like 1