Starfox Character Discussion

Battlechili

...what?

Was this ever actually said anywhere in the games, as far as the current continuity goes? Because this is one of those things that I'm pretty sure the fandom just sort of invented and it stuck and everyone just sort of assumes that it's canon.

It's written within the Lylat Wars manual..

As well as in those Nintendo Club special comics..even so this to consider is probably only..half-canon? ^^;

Do you mean the player's guide? I don't remember it being in the book that came with the game but then again it's been a long time since I read it...

I don't think the Nintendo Club comics were official in any regard though.

I always preferred the SNES-era Papetoon outlaw backstory way over the "flight school" backstory in any case. Not sure why though.

• Like 2

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about.

But I agree with you on that SNES Comic story Dras. It was a good developed story and made sense..

I've checked, and you are right, Devil*Katt. The player's guide indicates Fox is a rookie from the Cornerian Army.

But it sounds more like an excuse than a real explanation. Fox is supposed to be 18 year old in the game. Usually in military air forces academies, you are only able to enter at the age of 17 (with parental authorization, but in Fox's case, that wasn't much of a problem). That means he would only have a year of studying at the academy. I don't know how things go on at Corneria City, but here on Earth, military air force academies have courses that last around 4 years. And I'm speaking of academic courses, not flight trainings in military bases. Sending an academy student who hasn't even finished his academic course right at the head of an elite squad seems a bit ridiculous to me. Sure Fox is highly gifted, but I doubt this would allow him to skip 3 years of courses.

Now since Corneria was at war, they might have needed pilots in emergency. That is the only explanation I can find to have Fox driven out of the academy to a fighter jet cockpit. But then it doesn't add up with the fact that Fox, at the beginning of the game, is already leader of the Starfox team. Said Starfox team seems to have been formed a little while ago, not at the beginning of Corneria's invasion by Andross. That team also comes from outer space, aboard a mothership called the Great Fox. They seem to have been travelling through space for quite a time. You'd expect to see Fox as a mercenary, not as a young rookie freshly selected from the academy.

I also wonder if generals can technically create a mercenary team from scratch, since mercenaries are not supposed to be part of any regular armed forces. Sure there were exceptional cases, like the Flying Tigers, american pilots who volunteered to work for the Chinese Air Force. But they were still military pilots, part of the USAAF. When the US officially entered WWII, those pilots were redeployed in official US squadrons (with a bit of controversy). You don't get that feeling with Starfox. When they come from space, you get the feeling they've been around for a while, they're already pilots on their own (Peppy was already a pilot by the time), running their own business out of the Cornerian army. So it feels weird to have the story say Fox is a rookie while the game itself implies that Fox is the leader of an already existing mercenary team to beign with.

The SNES comics handled this better, with Fox being banished from Corneria while still being an academy student. That backstory also did a good job with Fox showing a bit of deviance towards the military command (while not being a complete jerk to Pepper), something I believe was lacking in SF64.

• Like 2

I've checked, and you are right, Devil*Katt. The player's guide indicates Fox is a rookie from the Cornerian Army.

But it sounds more like an excuse than a real explanation.

Yes, that's what I meant. Like they tried to excuse his soldier-like behaviour.

Now since Corneria was at war, they might have needed pilots in emergency. That is the only explanation I can find to have Fox driven out of the academy to a fighter jet cockpit. But then it doesn't add up with the fact that Fox, at the beginning of the game, is already leader of the Starfox team. Said Starfox team seems to have been formed a little while ago, not at the beginning of Corneria's invasion by Andross. That team also comes from outer space, aboard a mothership called the Great Fox. They seem to have been travelling through space for quite a time. You'd expect to see Fox as a mercenary, not as a young rookie freshly selected from the academy.

It would explain why Slippy is so bad |D

I agree with you, they seem to be in outer space for some years now.

It's more like Peppy returned to Corneria to tell Fox about what all happened (really wonder now how old Fox was at that time and if he lived at home..all alone? )and he immediately went to outer space to look for his father.

Yes, that's what I meant. Like they tried to excuse his soldier-like behaviour.

Oh, ok. I hope I didn't sound too overreacting of blunt.

It's more like Peppy returned to Corneria to tell Fox about what all happened (really wonder now how old Fox was at that time and if he lived at home..all alone? )and he immediately went to outer space to look for his father.

That actually sounds interesting. :)

Oh, ok. I hope I didn't sound too overreacting of blunt.

Oh no you didn't, don't worry about it =3

That actually sounds interesting. :-)

Thanks.

Makes me also wonder, if his mother was still around -even so I don't believe it.

Or perhaps some sort of Nanny was looking after him òo

And why and how formed the original Starfox Team anyway? O_o Was that ever explained?

Also on a complete random note: Is it just me, or is the way Falco acts in assault almost too friendly?

In LW, when you shoot him, he'll yell at you, but in assault he's more like "Hey, don't do that again ok?"

And he compliments Fox a bit too often. Personally, I prefer his LW personality. It lacked in Aussault.

Question: Was StarFox (the new version, with Fox as the leader) fighting Starwolf even before the Lylat wars? I know that happened when James was the leader, but what about Fox?

Question: Was StarFox (the new version, with Fox as the leader) fighting Starwolf even before the Lylat wars? I know that happened when James was the leader, but what about Fox?

Interesting, they do seem to have ties long before the Lylat War.

Interesting, they do seem to have ties long before the Lylat War.

My guess is that they ran across them while the StarFox team was doing small jobs on Papetoon.

My guess is that they ran across them while the StarFox team was doing small jobs on Papetoon.

Maybe in a fierce battle, Wolf and James stood toe to toe. Who knows? Maybe James is the reason Wolf has a messed up face and has a personal score to settle with James (who is dead or not) by killing Fox. Maybe not or else why would he help him in Assault?

Maybe not or else why would he help him in Assault?

I think there was far more a reason in Assault than what he suggested with his "If anyone is going to kill you, it's going to be me!" statement. After all, he's not the smartest villain around, but surely he must have known that without Fox, he couldn't defeat the Aparoids, and a galaxy run by robotic insects that consume everything they come in contact with is terrible for business if you plan on retaining your own mind in the process.

I think there was far more a reason in Assault than what he suggested with his "If anyone is going to kill you, it's going to be me!" statement. After all, he's not the smartest villain around, but surely he must have known that without Fox, he couldn't defeat the Aparoids, and a galaxy run by robotic insects that consume everything they come in contact with is terrible for business if you plan on retaining your own mind in the process.

I don't think he is necessarily dumb, but just way over his head. He seems to love any challenge and is obsessed with revenge.

I don't think he is necessarily dumb, but just way over his head. He seems to love any challenge and is obsessed with revenge.

I didn't say he was dumb :U

Well, what I meant is that I believe is is probably one of the smartest in the series, when it comes to leading and air combat. However, his passion sometimes gets in the way of concentrating.

Personally, I think it's the lamest excuse to say something like 'only I am allowed to kill you and blahblahblah..'.

Instead, they should have gone with (The Shaper already mentioned it) "We can't defeat those Aparoids by ourselves, we have to work together..as much as I hate to admit this"..something like this. I would have preferred it.

yeah same here D-Katt

Personally, I think it's the lamest excuse to say something like 'only I am allowed to kill you and blahblahblah..'.

Instead, they should have gone with (The Shaper already mentioned it) "We can't defeat those Aparoids by ourselves, we have to work together..as much as I hate to admit this"..something like this. I would have preferred it.

It would have been a much better response, but Wolf easily could have avoided mentioning it due to pride, knowing full well that Fox wouldn't question it.

Hmm..good point ^^

By the way, since it really interested me if every information written about the characters  in that 'Nintendo Club -Lylat Wars- comic' is

official/canon and asked Nintendo themselves.

Their answer: "Everything in the Lylat Wars comic, is based on the backgroundstory of said game"

So yes..the whole military academy thing is canon.

Just wanted to mention it.

As the old saying goes, an enemy of my enemy is my friend. The advice wolf gave fox could have been about their next encounter after the aparoids, should their paths ever cross again, don't hesitate, just do what you gotta do.

• Like 2

As the old saying goes, an enemy of my enemy is my friend. The advice wolf gave fox could have been about their next encounter after the aparoids, should their paths ever cross again, don't hesitate, just do what you gotta do.

Hesitation hinders results and the advantage of surprise.

-

If that is the case, the next time they meet will end with one finally defeating the other fatally. For them, there is no turning back.

My theory is that James actually taught Wolf a bit about flying... but then something broke up their friendship. Maybe it what what Wolf was using his new skills for. Perhaps something else?

Hesitation hinders results and the advantage of surprise.

-

If that is the case, the next time they meet will end with one finally defeating the other fatally. For them, there is no turning back.

Hmm. That'd be interesting to see, but I somehow doubt anything fatal would happen for a while at least.

While the Starfox series is definetly a backburner type situation, I don't think they'd just go "Screw it, one last game, and we're done," just yet. I personally think it's still too early to kill off any of the major characters.

I'd love more interaction between fox and bill. They seem like the bestest of buddies, idk why but bill seems like the kind of friend who's there for you.

• Like 1