Old Assault footage

Hakuoh

Does anyone still have old footage from the Starfox Assault Beta or know where to find it? I remember some old videos of the pre-release version with multiplayer demo, strange graphics and stuff...

Haven't seen anything of the sort around here, but I know in the Assault gallery there's a couple beta images.

I assume you're talking about the E3 2003 trailer?

The one with the opening cinematic better than anything actually from the game...

Try http://www.unseen64.net/ - they've got beta and unused stuff scattered around. They don't source their stuff too well and the information is all over the place.

thx for the link and the clip above

there must still be some other footage from the beta. I found some screens that don't really fit to the trailer.

According to the screenshots, there must have been at least 3 beta stages with a different HUD style each.

The first one is from May 2003, as seen in this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x0XauL_bek

Some pics from page 10 apply to the style, but not to the video content, for example:

nintendoconf_051403_302-535923.jpg

nintendoconf_051403_298-535919.jpg

Where are they from? Some footage, trailer, conference?

Second one can be seen partly on page 7 to 9, like this one:

star-fox-2-200405110152089-828065.jpg

And last but not least a style with horizontal life bars, like in this one:

star-fox-2-200405110152791-828069_640w.j

There is not one single clip which has one of the last two styles. I guess there could be some fitting video clips, but I couldn't find any.

I forgot how much I utterly loathe the Landmaster design in SFAs, though it could have been worse, looking at that early footage. Interestingly, the Arwings in that footage look very SNES-Esque. Disappointed they with with the "Ar-Boat" design instead.

Anyways, I'm interested if any old stuff shows the supposed single-player mission that once existed for Titania.

What's more interesting is how much faster the frame rate, and just general movement of the game was compared to the final product.

Not to mention how the Corneria City level wasn't reduced to an unexplainable floating island and looked more like its 64 version, with land surrounding it for the most part, and the map seemed bigger and more flyable in general.

I remember reading that the reason the game had the huge delay it had was a very serious bug that required rewriting a large chunk of the codebase. Also, the models in the videos are quite obviously less detailed. These two things probably have something to do with it.

I remember reading that the reason the game had the huge delay it had was a very serious bug that required rewriting a large chunk of the codebase. Also, the models in the videos are quite obviously less detailed. These two things probably have something to do with it.

And I thought the only bugs the game had were Aparoids, lol.

And I thought the only bugs the game had were Aparoids, lol.

rimshot-o.gif

• Like 2

rimshot-o.gif

1368397238512.gif

What's really amazing is how shit the graphics look, but the character movement and control is the same.

Which is to say, also shit.

What's really amazing is how shit the graphics look, but the character movement and control is the same.

Which is to say, also shit.

It was as beta as it got, and when they refurbished it, the creators probably thought to themselves "This is going to be slightly better than what we saw in the original video."

I still don't know where the graphics budget that they had in Adventures went.

I still don't know where the graphics budget that they had in Adventures went.

As a guy who is ripping the models and textures from the game, I can easily say that Assault looks WAY better than Adventures. Not to mention Adventures was essentially 60% before it had to become a Gamecube game and a Starfox game.

As a guy who is ripping the models and textures from the game, I can easily say that Assault looks WAY better than Adventures. Not to mention Adventures was essentially 60% before it had to become a Gamecube game and a Starfox game.

I don't understand though; there are a few times where Assault had gorgeous graphics during a few select cutscenes, but usually everything just looked less realistic than in Adventures. At least the characters anyway. The fur the characters had seemed more real than in Assault. I suppose the environment and other objects might be less realistic and have worse graphics...

Could you show us pictures or something?