Steam Crashes?

Hidi

Question

Let's see if Steam will still be running by the time I finish writing this....Hah hah hah.

Anyway, I got my laptop back recently, and I've been avidly reinstalling my games. But I've noticed over the past couple days, Steam randomly crashes without warning, or Windows considering it an error, and then if I've got any internet browser open, that goes too. (Personally, I just thought that was just Opera being stupid, but nope, Chrome does it too.)

It was especially bad earlier today when I attempted to enter a TF2 lobby. I hit "launch application" to join the server, then Steam crashed and wouldn't connect to the server, even though I had TF2 open.

I decided to reinstall Steam, which wasted all the time and bandwidth I spent downloading the games, but at least now too, the program bar on the taskbar doesn't show an incomplete process in progress every time I start up Steam. Which it had been doing since it finished downloading most of the games.

Has this happened to anyone before?

EDIT: Holy crap, and you know what? It did it RIGHT when I finished! And there went my browser window too.

7 answers to this question

It has happened to me before. No idea what the cause is, as my steam just started to work again randomly after awhile. If is is still doing it, although you just got your computer back, I would try a virus scan to see if something has snuck past your anti-virus already. If that fails, I would try running Steam as an admin and see if that helps. If THAT doesn't work, make sure your firewall inst blocking parts of steam (has happened to me). Should all that fail, I am afraid I am out of ideas.

Hope you get/got it working. It is very annoying when steam crashes.

I found that the causing file was kernelbase.dll. I've been searching around about that, and one simple solution was making a new user account. I'm still testing that out and I'll see if that works.

I'd say if virus is a problem, then it's more likely the Asus drivers at work again. I've had some really stupid appcrash errors (And still do!) that I KNOW are caused by the drivers. I know this because I already went through the trouble of doing a clean install of Windows and after locating all the drivers, the same errors popped up again. I did have bouts of Steam crashing, but nothing as frequent or as bad as this.

I found that the causing file was kernelbase.dll. I've been searching around about that, and one simple solution was making a new user account. I'm still testing that out and I'll see if that works.

While that could work, to me that seems like a last resort. There must be a way to fix it without making a new account. Have you tried deleting that specific file and replacing it with a different copy (as long as that file is Steam only)? It might sound weird but it has worked for me with other stuff, so it might work for steam.

I found instances of people attempting to replace kernelbase.dll, but with no success. I ran updates on Windows, Steam, and my graphics card driver. It's been running smoothly so far, so we'll see what happens over the next day.

EDIT: So Windows Update fixes it for...Say what....A few hours? Ugh, maybe replacing kernelbase.dll might actually work!

Launch options for the games that crash. Put "-safe" without quotations into that options. Games should run smoothly then.

Yeah well for me, it could just be that this laptop is terrible and I need it replaced.

There are other system problems that were not fixed, so it may be better to just send it in again.

I did try that, not sure if it's made a difference, but it hasn't got to the point where Steam cannot run a game without crashing since I ran a recovery. The error seems to be more Steam-based and affects other programs when it crashes on top of TF2.