Sign in to follow this  
Arashikage

Active pickup battery dying, perhaps amp issues?

Question

Arashikage

So not too long ago, I thought I had a problem with my amp.  I was playing my bass guitar and all of a sudden, the amp would make this popping sound, and it would repeat over and over again every time I hit a note.  Sometimes, it would pop when I didn't even touch the guitar.  It would stop when I turned the volume down, but only then.  I don't have another bass or guitar or anything to plug into this amp, and this issue happened a while ago, that's not the weird part.  Flash forward to last night, I decided I'd give it one more look.  So when I plugged the bass in(Power strip this time, rather than just into the wall), the amp started to work normally.  I was excited that I didn't have to replace this amp, because it's the only amp I have.  It's a Kustom KBA16 practice amp, and my bass is an Ibanez Sound Gear N427.  This evening, when I went to play it, the amp would produce no sound, even though it was on, and my bass's volume and the amp's volume were both up.  I changed the battery, and finally got sound.  My question though is was my battery dying producing the popping sound I heard about a month ago?  Most guitars I've heard with active pickups played just fine without the battery.  They just didn't sound as nice.

2 answers to this question

Dr. Orange

Have you looked at the wires connecting to the main speaker/from the input? I had a similar problem with also a bass amp. I re-soldered the wires and it worked to near original quality ... of a 1991 amp.

LoneWolf

Battery sounds about right. Only other reason I can think of is interference from appliances in your house. Most setups have a power conditioner, but I'd doubt you'd need one to run a standard bass amp. They're only really necessary for bigger home theater setups or pro sound. If it happens again try putting your amp on a different circuit than your fridge/washing machines etc.