SF64 3DS - Japanese version - English?

Terramax

Heya, quick question for anyone who may know, but is it possible to change the language of the Japanese version of SF64 3DS to English?

I live in Japan, but my Japanese is damn poor so I wouldn't understand a thing.

If anyone could confirm yes or no, that'd be great.

Many thanks.

Have you tried changing the language on your system to your preferred language? That's how I can get French, but that's only because the cart includes the dub. If the dub isn't included on your cart, I don't know what to say. I also noticed languages are pretty region-stereotyped. So I'm finding languages like English, French, and Spanish, but not Japanese on my language settings.

Japanese 3DS consoles don't give you the choice of changing to English, or any other language for that matter. Not that I can see in the menu anyways... :/

I don't really get why the languages are so region-stereotypical (I say stereotypical because while people where I live tend to speak English, they often prefer having the console language in their first language which is not often French or Spanish). Perhaps it's to lessen the amount of translations the console needs to carry?

If you can't change your language to English on a Japanese 3DS, then you probably won't be able to change the language of the game.

If I change my 3DS to a language the game doesn't support (i.e Portuguese), then the game reverts to its English default. So for you, that's probably Japanese.

I don't really get why the languages are so region-stereotypical (I say stereotypical because while people where I live tend to speak English, they often prefer having the console language in their first language which is not often French or Spanish). Perhaps it's to lessen the amount of translations the console needs to carry?

If you can't change your language to English on a Japanese 3DS, then you probably won't be able to change the language of the game.

If I change my 3DS to a language the game doesn't support (i.e Portuguese), then the game reverts to its English default. So for you, that's probably Japanese.

I've been informed that the Japanese version of the new Pokemons can all be reverted to English. Also, every Sonic Team game I've bought thus far on various consoles give you the option. There's also been the odd Nintendo game, such as Smash Bros.

Regarding not getting the language description: it tends to depend on the company. Nintendo are notorious for not liking people to import their games, therefore it's wouldn't be surprising if keeping the game in a certain language is a way of putting people off. However, this doesn't explain how their biggest franchise (pokemon) has multiple languages.

Nintendo are notorious for not liking people to import their games, therefore it's wouldn't be surprising if keeping the game in a certain language is a way of putting people off. However, this doesn't explain how their biggest franchise (pokemon) has multiple languages.

There's one inconsistency about that point though; back in the gaming generations when games didn't carry multiple languages on them, people still imported games, they just didn't understand the dialogue in the game. What difference does it make having the language or not?

I can understand why they'd want to restrict game imports; copyright and other annoying things like that. But restricting and region-locking are two different things.