Windows 8.1

Redeemer

Question

Okay, has anyone else recently updated to this? And is anyone else finding it to be a big steaming pile of problematique?

Ever since I updated Win8 to Win8.1, I've been having issues with my browser. I use Firefox. Basically, websites don't load properly and in text boxes, here on SFO, deviantArt, my fitness pal, tumblr etc. I get like, big black bars in front of where I'm typing, and it shrinks as I type. I thought this was a feature I was accidentally hotkeying, but the black bar goes away if I scroll up, then down again.

Sometimes large parts of websites are covered in black bars, and I can't read anything at all. Again, it goes away if I scroll up from it, but it's damn tedious all the same.

Firefox is also a little slower since updating... Do I need to maybe just update my browser, do you think? What's the latest with Firefox? I haven't had any notices to update yet, usually I do get informed upon opening it. :/

Oh yeah, just an FYI, please save your breath if you want to tell me to use Win7 or anything because I keep getting told that and no one seems to understand that I'm pretty happy with Win8 because I use ClassicShell, which makes it run just like Win7. xD Plus I can't be bothered going through such a time-consuming thing. xD

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

I've had a few problems with page items not displaying correctly in Chrome. Usually I can just refresh to fix the problem but sometimes stuff still refuses to display. I figure it'll be patched out soon. Otherwise 8.1 hasn't been bad at all for me really. I BSOD'd once because of bad driver compatibility but.

Switch to Chrome for now would be my advice. I haven't had very good luck with Firefox in the past, especially when it came to service pack updates (which is basically what 8.1 is).

There are a few things you could try if you want to fuss a little more, however. Usually when there's a bug like this there's a few workarounds to try before giving up.

1) Rebuild your font cache

2) Disable hardware acceleration, though I'd be quick to turn this back on, it's pretty important in any browser, however doing so has been known to fix a variety of issues inc. slowness.

• Like 1

Can we convince you now to use Win7 because Win8.1 isn't any better?

Can we state, for posterity, that you should use Win7 rather than Win 8.1?

Actually, I've been really satisfied with 8 despite the haters. I spend most of my time using the Steam or Chrome interface anyways so the lack of Metro apps doesen't bug me at all. Plus once you learn the keyboard shortcuts it's actually a pretty easy to navigate OS. Under the hood it's pretty slick too so.

Haters be damned, Win 8 is actually okay. Win RT is a POS though. Just give me ARM windows without SecureBoot and I'll be happy.

• Like 2

Do you have the same problem on a different browser?  This hasn't been the case in a while, but sometimes I just find a browser starts crapping up on my computer and I switch between either Chrome or Firefox to get away from the problem.  I haven't exactly found a rhyme or reason, but in my case it was usually Flash plug-ins crashing.  Yours sounds a bit different, something more integrated in the translation of the web content.  

As far as Windows 8 hate, I only really hate Windows 8 because it doesn't play nice with some in-house software that is published at work....That is based off of Visual Fox Pro (discontinued in 2007).  That and its also a bit messy from an administrative point of view with securing networks and domains in some areas.  Otherwise, meh.  I just hit the Windows key and start typing to search for an app just like I did with 7.  

Since, I use ClassicShell too, and no one else seems to in this thread, I'll bite the bullet and download 8.1 and Firefox for you so I can help troubleshoot. :P

But to answer you, waffles:

The lady said no, and no means no.

• Like 2

Except SkyDrive, there have not been any improvements to Windows 8 except cosmetic changes in 8.1.  Windows 8 is an inferior OS to 7 and to even XP.  

Win 8 is a two headed monster of sorts.  On one side, you have the tile based Metro interface, which is supposed to be the modern interface, but I think it looks like square feces.  And on the other side, you have the desktop interface, similar to the Win 7 Aero interface.  It's basically giving you two ways to do the same job, where one was never really broken, but they tried to fix it anyway.  Windows 8 is focused on tablets, and should stay on tablets.  I've had it with laptop manufacturers shipping their non-touchscreen laptops with Win 8, pushing it as the OS of the future.  Microsoft is trying to get on the smartphone/tablet bandwagon a smidge too late.  Don't get me wrong, on a tablet Windows 8 works pretty well.  But on a desktop or a laptop, it's lackluster at best.  They gave us the start button back.  Click on it and it brings you to the Metro screen.  I'm sorry, but I have a problem with the Metro screen.  It's trying too hard to be innovative, and not actually useful for anything.  The OS itself has an astounding lack of support for programs(Mostly games) everywhere, and the dual interfaces demand that you learn an entirely new way to get old things done, which does not fly with me.  I don't see anything Windows 8 has to offer that will get me to switch from Win 7.  

Now that that not entirely off topic rant is done, can you try using other browsers and see if the problem persists?  The issue might lie in Firefox itself.  Mozilla even said that since 8.1 is still in testing phase, compatibility and stability issues could be present in Firefox.  

• Like 2

I can't replicate the problem. D: Have you tried a different browser yet? (Knowing you'll be up in an hour or so if you aren't already lol I'ma feel really stupid if you haven't even messed with it yet)

I have no idea what other information I might need to try and get it to replicate. ): I'm gonna have to go with your browser is just crapping out on you.

• Like 1

*sigh* Whatever happened to the old days where we could rely on Windows XP, Vista and 7?

• Like 2

You can still rely on Windows 7. I think its end of life support is in 2020 or something like that.

• Like 1

I can't replicate the problem.

You're still a total doll for trying though, thanks. <3

Eeeeh maybe I need to update Firefox. What's the latest version?

Also, in Win8's defense, it is really, really fast. Faster than my experience with Win7. The only issue I had was the whole forced app thing, but ClassicShell took care of that, so no complaints! Just this funny bug. :/ OH MY GOD IT'S DOING IT RIGHT NOW THERE'S A BIG BLACK BAR HERE ->

• Like 1

25.0.1 is the latest stable release of Firefox.  If you're using anything in the 26 range, you're using a beta.  Using betas isn't good if you want a stable release, because they have the tendency to crash, or glitch like yours is doing.

• Like 1

*sigh* Whatever happened to the old days where we could rely on Windows XP, Vista and 7?

XP support ends April, 8th 2014. I will mostly likely keep my copy to show my kids.

• Like 1

I have come across an interesting problem since updating: I will shut down my PC to go to bed, and when I wake up the next morning I find it has booted back up. What the hell, Windows 8.1, what the hell.

I guess you can turn off the power supply overnight Sarita. That is unless there's something really important you need to keep plugged into it that isnt your computer

Or pull the power from the computer :P ...only thing I can think of is a BIOS setting somewhere to power it on automatically.

I have come across an interesting problem since updating: I will shut down my PC to go to bed, and when I wake up the next morning I find it has booted back up. What the hell, Windows 8.1, what the hell.

The era of the machine has begun.

The era of the machine has begun.

It was indeed a BIOS issue. :P My BIOS was 3 versions out of date, I updated it, just because I was updating drivers for an unrelated problem, and my laptop has been staying off like a good little computer for the last couple of nights.

How goes your problem, dearie? :c

Still present, it was actually really bad yesterday and I was gritting my teeth trying to deal with it. I've updated Firefox again so I'll wait and see if it stops. It's getting seriously annoying.

Windows 8 just sucks all around............... we have it on one of the computers at work and its sadly the one we have to use the most often, it's just too confusing to operate when you have to get something done and done FAST.