Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Orange

Great Books Thread

Dr. Orange

Hello my fellow SF-Oers.

I come with a question.

I need a new book to try over the boring holidays. What books do you recommend to read. Your top ten or just all time favorite.

>inb4 Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and 50 Shades. And please nothing that's in the media at the moment ex. Ender's Game, 12 Years a Slave or the Hobbit, I've already got those three down.

Drasiana

Literally anything in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They're really engaging fantasy/comedy books.

Also, Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy is always a safe bet.

jeth

I really liked "The Name of the Wind" 

Xortberg

Literally anything in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They're really engaging fantasy/comedy books.

Also, Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy is always a safe bet.

I've been meaning to read the Discworld series but holy damn there's a lot of books so I'm a little hesitant to get started. Also, never read Abhorsen but I do remember his Seventh Tower series being pretty swag back when I was a wee middle schooler. Thanks for reminding me he exists, I'll look at his other books sometime.

mjakob42

Currently reading Vladmir Nabakov's Lolita, and it's honestly one of the best books I've ever read. Yes, the content is extremely touchy, but the way it's written, just...ugh. Read it. Besides, it's a classic!

LoneWolf

Classic literature is best literature. I really liked Brave New World and any Shakespeare is great. Also read anything with the name Issac Asimov, Charles Dickens, or George Orwell on it. Should keep you occupied for a few years.

• Like 2

Drasiana

I've been meaning to read the Discworld series but holy damn there's a lot of books so I'm a little hesitant to get started. Also, never read Abhorsen but I do remember his Seventh Tower series being pretty swag back when I was a wee middle schooler. Thanks for reminding me he exists, I'll look at his other books sometime.

The great thing about Discworld is that you don't actually have to commit yourself to reading all of them. There's no real "main plot" in the series, though there are certain character groups (Rincewind, the Witches, Death, the Night Watch, etc) whose books tend to go in a certain order, but they're still fairly standalone. And yeah Nix's other books are really fun--I even still enjoy the Keys to the Kingdom series even though it's clearly directed at a much younger audience.

Vy'drach

I absolutely love Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon series. Long setting short, it's the Napoleonic Wars with the addition of dragons, not mindless beasts but intelligent creatures that form lifelong bonds with their "Captains," bonds that transcend all others, and they are often used for aerial warfare.

What I love most about the series is that the characters seem to be fully fleshed out, and not cardboard stand-ins that symbolize characters like most other stories I read. Even with dragons, it's written well enough that I'd forget the situations and characters are fiction, and when that realization hit I'd feel a bit sad because, in the words of Dane Cook, "I'm sad... because I know it will never happen." And then there's Captain Rankin, which one can not fathom the depth of the hatred my soul harbors for that man.

I also happen to be waiting for Roadside Picnic and the Harlan Ellison Collection, which includes I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Could not acquire Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? at this time unfortunately. I have heard good things about all of these.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Talyl Landmaster
      By Talyl Landmaster
      What if Star Wolf had a TV show (or anime, or whatever the kids say these days)? I was making this poster with that idea just for fun. Maybe it would be an action comedy of some kind. I don't know. But here is a poster I did years ago.
      yeah.

• iseechrisd
      By iseechrisd
      Hello, my name is Chris. I do a series where I take things commonly not very well-liked, and go over reasons to like them. My most recent episode is Star Fox Zero. I think the game's getting loads of negative heat all over, so hopefully my video brings some cool things in the game to light. Let me know what you think, thank you! 

Video: 

• Dr. Orange
      By Dr. Orange
      Self explanatory. Adding URLs to text fail.
    • Dr. Orange
      By Dr. Orange
      These past few months have been really … different in the terms of newer users. We've had these occurrences were in place of using the Introduction Subtopic we end up with learning names through RP requests and fanfics. For the older users who have beaten around the bush, we look at these weird introductions and “gossip like morons. And it's just bad for us all. I for one want more loyal subjects pals who share in the cult following that is Starfox.

So this is an attempt to serve as a guide for new users to this form to help and understand how have a good first impression and have a happier life here as a quality member of SFO society as well as understanding key aspects of older SFO users and learning the "inside jokes" that is SFO. 

tl:dr These are the inner workings of SFO society. It is a train wreck.
      Read the rules. This is your map to not getting banned. A good lurk never hurt anyone. Gather your intelligence on what is going on in the boards. Your first thread should Introduction of yourself in the Introductions board. (AKA the Front Door) This should be polite and welcoming if you ever hope to make friends. Talking is a good way to know people. Starting with a RP request is a good way to become ignored. Everyone is facetious until otherwise stated. Also known as "Rob's Rule." Even though this is a Starfox Board, there is little talk about Starfox. Talking about Command is the equivalent of treading a minefield. That doesn't mean you cannot have a metal detector. Assault also has some weird orb around it too recently. The Rec Room doesn't record posts. Don't take it too seriously Having Steam is the key to having a social life. Having said social life in no guarantee to being liked. Ask to join the Skype group. We hang out there and coordinate our attack. Spam only goes so far. Everyone needs to respect everyone. No questions. If you feel strongly on a topic, Argue for it. When you argue for it, the thread may be locked. When a thread is locked, then you're out of luck. Harassment only makes you look like a wimp. Relation to the topic decreases with every single post. The Starfox team does not have metal legs. It's the illuminati and nobody cares about seeing your evidence. Steve is the King and we must worship him. Steve Resides in Zimbabwe and everyone must take a pilgrimage in their life time. There he works on his failed experiment: Gestalt. ayy lmao You can't post do shit until you post five times. Why is this so hard for people to understand? When in doubt, the French Horn is there. When in danger, the duct tape man is there. Don't spew your RP/Fanfic in the chat when nobody cares. You know what you should get? Sins. Everyone is furry for Krystal. No exceptions. The exception to rule #32 is if you don't like badonk-a-donks. Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act. Eventually everyone is in the flock. This Rule is 3soppky5u to read The soda in the Fridge is Naza’s; no touchy. Mama Redeemer loves you equally, unless you're a poopiehead. No matter how bad the situation, 8 points can make a difference. 8 points Scott, 8 points. When in doubt, worship Scourge. He will deliver the 8 points. DiGornio’s pizza is the best, they don’t deliver however. Pass the joint dude. Stop hogging The chat room is always empty. When the chat room is full it’s only with squirrels. The squirrels are controlled by Matt Damon. Do not listen to the squirrels for they lie. Rule 51 is true. Honestly everyone here has some issue. Don’t worry it comes with knowing us. You cannot divide by Zero. Calculators rules. Rule 48 is False. OH SHI-. ???? Profit. Your fan project will never be done. High Executor eats things that would otherwise kill a person. He will also cook it up for you. Any conversation will not be on topic. If it is on topic Xid will change that for you. Psy doesn't speak because he communicates on a wHoLE NotHER LeVEl. Always calm your underage nipples. If you don't, Dras will. Dras has no mercy when bitchslapping you with logic. Copypasta is made to ruin every last bit of originality. Copypasta is made to ruin every last bit of originality. Don't drop that thun thun thun. Rob does have an excellent rack apparently. Brake pedal is always lava. No matter who or what you are, you have a friend in me. We all are homies here.