RAM/CPU Voltage

Sideways

Question

• Owner/Technical Admin

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aD2X

So this is the hardware I'm about 80% sure I'm going to buy in the next few days to upgrade my PC. The compatibility notes indicates that the memory runs at a voltage of 1.65v at 1600, while the CPU only accepts 1.5v+5%. My question is (some of my friends have already answered but I'm still asking lol) - What harm will come if I don't change the RAM voltage to 1.5 to match the CPU?

Does what I have picked out seem good for the money? I have only about $450 to spend and all that seemed appropriate. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I don't really think it matters unless you're looking to overclock. LGA1155 has a standard set of specifications, so in theory any CPU and RAM the mobo will take should work.

For example, my gaming rig's CPU is currently running at 0.96v and my RAM is running at 1.5v and this machine's been running for a couple of years just fine. Note that it is still running a Sandy Bridge CPU.

For a more recent example, my DAW Box is running a Haswell i7. The CPU is idling at 1.2v and the RAM is at 1.5v.

I think DZ's post says all that needs to be said about voltages and all, but here's something you might be interested in.

Before you order that CPU/Mobo combo, look into this: It's a 4670K (Basically the 3570k but a tad better and newer)

It's a different socket (LGA 1150) so you'd need to find a different motherboard, too, but this CPU is only $180 on sale at Micro Center right now. If you don't have one near you, then look at this Reddit post. Apparently you can price match it on Staples' site.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1y78jp/psa_staples_is_still_price_matching_micro_centers/

Just bringing it to your attention. I know someone about to build a PC and I was looking around for some deals. This is quite a steal if you can really get it from Staples for $180. (Assuming you belong to the majority of people without a Micro Center nearby)

Price-matching might work, might not. 

However, the 3570k is still a fantastic CPU. 4670k isn't even really better, just newer and on sale for $180 at Micro Center atm. :D

• Owner/Technical Admin

The only microcenter nearby I think is in NYC.So, not happening.

• Like 1

• Owner/Technical Admin

Double post, I've ordered my hardware and went with RAM that runs stock at 1.5v. Should be here tomorrow. Next I have to upgrade my graphics card.