How many of you dress practically rather than fashionably?

sjrathbun812

Some people prefer to dress with practicality. What they're wearing may not look appealing or very attractive, but they're the kind of people that don't care what others think and they just want to feel comfortable and wear something that does the job. They have utilitarian views on what to wear.

Others want to wear things that fulfill more ornate and outwardly purposes. i.e. lots of women wear high heels. They're pretty alright. Are they comfortable? Not necessarily. They can actually cause lots of physical problems. But, the women wearing them care more about their looks than how comfortable they are or if any damage to their bodies could possibly ensue from wearing such footwear.

There's also people who dress according to their environment. If they're at home cleaning, or perhaps going camping or hiking, they dress practically. However, if they're going out and being around people, they dress more pleasantly.

I suppose I'm in the last category. It depends where I am.

So, which are you? Commence posting!

I'm very high maintenance about what I wear and when.

I have 3 states of dress.

1. Comfortable - When I'm not going out or when I'm ill.

2. Working - When I'm in school or running errands.

3. Fabulous - When I'm on a date, having a day out or meeting friends.

My three states of being have pretty set clothing items. To specify:

Comfortable:

Consists of either pajamas, or sweat pants and a t-shirt.

Working:

Consists of jeans and casual top with hoodie or sweater. No make up, hair acceptable.

Fabulous:
Consist of either jeans, shorts or skirt depending on weather. Boots or nice shoes. Nicer tops or blouses with either my brown jacket or American flag bodywarmer. If it's evening, then dresses are preferred. Make up and hair done to best of my noob ability. xD

I enjoy feeling good in my clothes, so I try to dress nicely whenever possible. However there is one setback - I can't walk in heels over 2 inches because of my ankles, so shoe choice is limited. But that's not a bad thing really, stepping out confidently in comfortable shoes only adds to the image I want to put across.

I'mma broke college kid and don't really have to be anywhere. Jeans and a tee will suffice, unless I need to spiffy of for formalities such as concert. However, I would heavily consider fashion and an increase in hats if I came into a substantial amount of $$$ that wasn't being pump into more..pressing matters.

Yeah it depends on the situation. If I don't have to be anywhere you can guarantee that I won't leave my pajamas all day (I may occasionally upgrade to sweatpants and a t-shirt). The rest of my wardrobe basically consists of dress shirts and nice pants though so going out anywhere at least gives the illusion of trying to look nice. I only wear makeup if I'm trying for a particular look, or if I happen to look especially dead that day.

Black jeans + button up shirt + (jacket if needed) = comfort and all the ladies

• Like 1

Like everyone else has said, situation dominates it for me. If Im stuck at home and not going anywhere, its basketball shorts or sweat pants without a shirt. If I'm working/school, its a pair of slim-fitting blue jeans with a t shirt or tucked in plaid/flannel shirt with cowboy boots. If it something where I gotta wear something nice, it's just a plaid/flannel shirt and blue jeans with my boots again; but I throw in my hat.

crying-eagle.jpg

But of course. I need to deafen everyone around me with my endless freedom.

I wear leather instead of wool during winter, and I wear no toque so that I may show off my fabulous hairdo without fucking it up later. 

I've frozen the liquid in my ear bones many times this year all to look good, so practicality kind of goes out the window for me on some level. 

I wear a suit and tie most of the day because of work, otherwise, I wear 100% practical "I don't give a damn about looks" clothes.

I wear a suit and tie most of the day because of work, otherwise, I wear 100% practical "I don't give a damn about looks" clothes.

He's not kidding. He still wears clothes he has owned since we started dating 7 years ago, guys.

I on the other hand have gone through one and I'm on the start of my second full wardrobe revamp since high school. When I don't have anything to do, pajama pants and tank tops are my go-to. If I have to go run an errand really fast I'll put on a cardigan over my tank-top and some jeans. My internal body temperature is a huge factor in what I wear, and I put off heat like a furnace.

ETA: There's a reason I don't own much besides tank-top and pajama pants, haha. When I was in Mexico I lost a lot of weight and went from a size 13 to a size 6, so not a lot of what I own fits me anymore, for clarification.

I'm a pretty casual kind of dresser, black jeans, ball cap, vest and Hot Topic T shirt with decal. But I can get duded up for special occasions. Let me tell ya, its a transformation lol.

If I have anywhere to be I usually go with a white-collar business look.  Long-sleeved button-down shirt, tie, slacks, etc.  It is relatively comfortable and looks professional.

If its a stay-at-home sort of day I'm fine with a t-shirt and sweat pants. :-)

When I go out, it's always camouflage.

It mostly started when I joined CAP at 13.  Before then it was always jeans, but when i put on my first pair of BDU pants, I never bought any other kind.  The material is a lot more comfortable than jeans, the pants breathe a lot nicer, and they have two enormous cargo pockets so that I can store literally anything that I'd need.  I always keep a phone charger with me, I can put my hat in the pocket when I go inside, my wallet, keys, some extra food, or anything like that.  It's amazing.  They look really cool too.  So far, I only have BDU camouflage, which is the typical jungle camo used in Vietnam, I have MARPAT, which is digital woodland used by the US Marines today, and I have Tiger Stripe, also used in Vietnam, popular with Metal Gear Solid players.  Each pair of pants has two large cargo pockets capable of holding an entire MRE unopened.  They also have surprisingly deep regular pockets.  

People think I watch Duck Dynasty because I'm always in camouflage >.<

Another thing I wear is hoodies.  I love hoodies.  Pullover hoodies are my favorite, because they don't have a zipper that rolls in weird ways when you sit down.  But my favorite is my N7 hoodie, which unfortunately is zipper.  It's always or at least mostly black with my shirts.  Grey, black, or brown.  I don't like wearing bright colors, I like to keep it earth tones.  Pastels, and other bright colors don't suit me is all.  When I was a camp counselor, I had to wear some bright colored shirt to identify myself as a camp counselor to the little kids.  Not my favorite part of the week.  

My jacket is usually my Air Force issue bear jacket, because winters in New England are COLD.  My jacket is warm, one of those jackets with the wool inside, and feels like some sort of knit hat on the outside.  My only problem is the wind tears through it like tissue paper.  That's why I also have my field jacket, which isn't quite as warm, but breaks wind a lot better.  

For work, I can't exactly get away with wearing camouflage pants and black hoodies(Actually I could probably get away with the hoodie), so I have a blue collared long sleeve shirt with the name of the store I work at printed on it, and a pair of black pants I stole from Taco Bell(Technically, they didn't ask for it back when I quit.)  

I'd say I dress practically, but it's a happy accident that the style of my practicality suits me quite well.

TL:DR - I wear a lot of camouflage and black because I like the pockets and sneaking up on people at night

• Like 1

If its hot outside, I wear shorts. If its cold outside, Im getting my jacket.

But I do my best to wear some school spirit. Go Monarchs.

TL:DR - I wear a lot of camouflage and black because I like the pockets and sneaking up on people at night

Anyone seen Arash? I dont see him around anymore...

Here's a somewhat separate question I'd like to ask.

I used to wear running shoes when I was younger. Around the time when I became 12, however, I transitioned to converse shoes. After 3 years of wearing converse, and shoes like converse where the soles are flat and there is no arch support, I found physical problems had developed in my feet. So I stopped wearing them and switched back to running shoes, which lessened the pain in my feet. (Damage may take some time to heal...)

The only downside to this transition back to running shoes is that I don't really care for how they look. They're much, MUCH more comfortable to wear though, and less damaging to my feet. So, what I'm wondering is, do any of you think running shoes look less nice than stylized shoes? I'm also curious as to how many of you have encountered the same problems that I have with footwear that has little arch support and cushion.

I wear cargo pants for I require many pockets for all the things I carry with me (3DS, iPod, wallet, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, pocket ponies, and other misc. stuff). They may not be the most fashionable of things, but I love my extra carry space quite a bit and swear by cargo pants. Other than that, I do not own a plain shirt, everything has some form of image or another, because clothing is an expression of yourself and I express myself via shirt. I wear boxers (not boxer briefs) because I do not like to feel constrained there and find boxers infinitely more comfortable. As for footwear, I have a pair of Harley Davidson boots.

There are them:

shoes_iaec1132874.jpg

They zip up on the inner side. Anyway, they're comfortable, waterproof, offer good support, and they do look mighty sexy, provided I actually dust them off now and again.

• Like 2

So, what I'm wondering is, do any of you think running shoes look less nice than stylized shoes? I'm also curious as to how many of you have encountered the same problems that I have with footwear that has little arch support and cushion.

depends on the running shoe you get, i guess. i wear Asics running shoes with inserts because i had arch support problems (and also apparently i was wearing shoes that were too big). i specifically picked out some black shoes with as little in the way of whooshy go-fast-looking designs on them as i could get, since they would be the shoes i would wear everyday for most everything. that was over a year ago and they're still in reasonably good shape and look okay.

I dont pay attention to someones running shoes. As long as theyre taking care of themselves hygenically, its fine with me.

What I mean by that is taking steps to make sure youre physically healthy. There are a lot of things you can do to stay healthy that some people ignore. Aside from that, I dont care what you wear as long as its not indecent exposure.

Here's a somewhat separate question I'd like to ask.

I used to wear running shoes when I was younger. Around the time when I became 12, however, I transitioned to converse shoes. After 3 years of wearing converse, and shoes like converse where the soles are flat and there is no arch support, I found physical problems had developed in my feet. So I stopped wearing them and switched back to running shoes, which lessened the pain in my feet. (Damage may take some time to heal...)

The only downside to this transition back to running shoes is that I don't really care for how they look. They're much, MUCH more comfortable to wear though, and less damaging to my feet. So, what I'm wondering is, do any of you think running shoes look less nice than stylized shoes? I'm also curious as to how many of you have encountered the same problems that I have with footwear that has little arch support and cushion.

To be honest, your health is really what is most important. Stylized shoes are nice, but your own comfort and damage reduction is far more crucial. Especially since this is about your feet - take care of them now and they'll take care of you later.

I know how you feel though - I broke my ankle when I was 11 then when I was 18, I tore all the tendons in my opposite ankle and foot in a freak fall. I can't wear high heels. I'd love to, and I have plenty chances to, but I just can't because I know that if I fall again, that's me pretty much buggered. And it's a real shame because, being 5'4", I could use the extra goddamn height. xD

Also, if you need dressy shoes for an occasion, you can actually purchase special arch supports and shaped insoles for any kind of shoe. They're maybe pricey, but they open a few more doors for you in terms of what you'd like to wear and what you need to wear. :-)

To be honest, your health is really what is most important. Stylized shoes are nice, but your own comfort and damage reduction is far more crucial. Especially since this is about your feet - take care of them now and they'll take care of you later.

I know how you feel though - I broke my ankle when I was 11 then when I was 18, I tore all the tendons in my opposite ankle and foot in a freak fall. I can't wear high heels. I'd love to, and I have plenty chances to, but I just can't because I know that if I fall again, that's me pretty much buggered. And it's a real shame because, being 5'4", I could use the extra goddamn height. xD

Also, if you need dressy shoes for an occasion, you can actually purchase special arch supports and shaped insoles for any kind of shoe. They're maybe pricey, but they open a few more doors for you in terms of what you'd like to wear and what you need to wear. :-)

I can't wear heels very long either because of an ankle injury I got in high school that I refused to let heal because I'm an idiot and peer pressure does things to you especially in a team setting. But damnit I'm gonna wear 'em to my wedding because the ones I got are cute as hell.

• Like 1

I wear cargo pants for I require many pockets for all the things I carry with me (3DS, iPod, wallet, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, pocket ponies, and other misc. stuff). They may not be the most fashionable of things, but I love my extra carry space quite a bit and swear by cargo pants. Other than that, I do not own a plain shirt, everything has some form of image or another, because clothing is an expression of yourself and I express myself via shirt. I wear boxers (not boxer briefs) because I do not like to feel constrained there and find boxers infinitely more comfortable. As for footwear, I have a pair of Harley Davidson boots.

There are them:

shoes_iaec1132874.jpg

They zip up on the inner side. Anyway, they're comfortable, waterproof, offer good support, and they do look mighty sexy, provided I actually dust them off now and again.

Those are some kickass Resident Evil boots :D

Good to hear not everybody thinks it's style first and purpose last. My brother actually made a comment today... something like, "fashion follows form," I think.

I think I've learned a good lesson in that department. I recently had to get glasses because I'm nearsighted. Spent a good chunk of a day looking for proper frames with other family members to give me their opinion. I ended up getting some that looked nice. Trouble is, they're too narrow for fashion's sake. It's actually really irritating because every time I look down with my eyes, I'm met with a dark blurry line because of the frame. So then, I have to move my whole head.

Unfortunately, the frames are already bought, so I'm going to be stuck with them for some time before I can change them. Just goes to show that outsider opinion is nice, but ultimately it comes down to what you like, and what you feel comfortable in. That's what's most important.

• Like 1