Starfox: Event Horizon

The Undying Nephalim

I wanted to try your demo, but then I've got this:

[administrator@LinBookPro Star Fox Event Horizon]$ wine Launcher.exe 
fixme:module:load_library unsupported flag(s) used (flags: 0x00000800)
fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0x401123, 0x49f0c0, 0x49f0d8) stub.
fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x496f08, 43) stub
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"AGSService"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0002,0x00000000,0x83e958,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
fixme:advapi:GetExplicitEntriesFromAclW 0x174588 0x93e784 0x93e790
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7d6eb82c, 0x178710, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7d6eb82c
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoInitializeTimer stub: 0x15670, 0x640890, 0x15670
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoStartTimer stub: 0x15670
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Star Fox Event Horizon\\Launcher.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Star Fox Event Horizon\\Launcher.exe" failed, status c0000135

In other words, it fails to open for me.

Then I also have 2 more questions:

1. Is it possible to create builds for OSs other than Windows as well?
  2. Do you need help with localisation (if at all)?

Your game looks really nice so far, I hope you can keep it all up.

Are you by chance using Windows 10?

Then I also have 2 more questions:

1. Is it possible to create builds for OSs other than Windows as well?
  2. Do you need help with localisation (if at all)?

Your game looks really nice so far, I hope you can keep it all up.

1. I believe the engine is also compatible with Linux, but other than that I believe it only runs on Windows.

2. Localization into other languages would be great after the game is done.

Eh, you confused me there for a moment.
It's compatible with Linux, but it only runs on Windows?

Do you mean it can export to Linux, but the editor only works on Windows (like Unity did, until a few years ago), or...?

Well here be the next demo: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-fox-event-horizon/downloads/star-fox-event-horizon-demo-7

Eh, you confused me there for a moment.
It's compatible with Linux, but it only runs on Windows?

Do you mean it can export to Linux, but the editor only works on Windows (like Unity did, until a few years ago), or...?

I believe the game can run on both Windows and Linux.

I just downloaded the new build, and I assumed there was a Linux build as well, since the whole archive was twice the size it has been last time.
Sadly, that seems not to be the case...

I'm looking forward to try it out, once you have a Linux build.

I just downloaded the new build, and I assumed there was a Linux build as well, since the whole archive was twice the size it has been last time.
Sadly, that seems not to be the case...

I'm looking forward to try it out, once you have a Linux build.

I am not responsible for the engine the game uses to run, I can't make the engine compatible with different OS's like Linux or Mac. If the game is not working on Linux then the engine must not be compatible with it. 

I did a little research, and there might be some files that get FSO to run on Linux, but I have no way of testing it: http://icculus.org/~ravage/freespace2/

• 2 months later...

All the better for it! Pepper looks like a badass! Those shades could use some work, though.

Really nice! I used to think Fox and Krystal kinda looked weird, they are way better right now.

Congrats on all the work!

• 1 month later...

Yep. They all look pretty good! From here though, the very last one's eyes look like that of an angry ghost. o-o

Other than that, I like 'em all.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like that link is working, unless it's my crappy browser and crappy laptop, hitting me again.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, The VGM Lover said:

Doesn't look like that link is working, unless it's my crappy browser and crappy laptop, hitting me again.

Naw it looks like the link broke somehow, I fixed it.

• Like 1

Nice, thanks! Who's the 2nd lady at the top? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a bit of strange question. The support for this mod is very minimal, and I was wondering if perhaps the people here who follow would be alright if Event Horizon became a real-time strategy game again? It would use the same engine that my other big mod uses. I know it's not the same as a Starfox flight sim, so I just wanted to make sure and ask around before I make any big decisions like that.

The video at this top of this page is impressive. Being knit-picky, but the music and darker visuals take me out of the Star Fox world, but I don't want to downplay how much of a feat it is to see someone out there making something very close to a very modern Star Fox game.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a strategy game. I don't see the point in having something Star Fox related to a genre like that, as I'm sure the main interest people have in SF are a.) the more immediate, arcade feel of flying a ship and b.) the characters. I don't see a strategy game retaining any of these aspects.

I actually really enjoyed playing the demo and would love to see this as a true piloting game. An RTS is better than nothing but it probably wouldn't feel like Starfox.... Not to mention, who doesn't love flying through the carnage in a small fighter?

Just my Two cents.... Hey I'd even support the mod if I knew how.

-Ren

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to make an account and say good luck on making this game and thanks for all the hard work. I'm really excited for it! I know doing something like this means years of hard work so I hope you get the support (monetary support, enthusiastic fans, or otherwise) to keep going and make a great game (and a better version of another game)! I'll wait patiently for it and any updates.

My two cents regarding the genre of game. I think most people are fans of the 3D space combat aspect of Star Fox, and I think I and others would prefer the game to stay as a flying game.

As for the amount of support for this game. Have you tried reaching out to Vinny of Vinesauce or A Fox In Space's Matthew Gafford? I feel like they would be interested in playing and maybe boasting your game respectively. Maybe you could reach Vinny or the Vinesauce fanbase through Reddit, Discord, or Twitter.

Though actually according to his Youtube the best way seems to be to email him directly at http://vinesauce.com/email/

But yeah Vinny is a popular internet gaming man and Matthew Gafford is known for making what's probably the most popular Star Fox fan work right now, and both are know to be big fans of classic Star Fox. I'd try and make contact with the former through all of the above methods and the latter wherever you can.

• 1 month later...

Horray some more animated portraits, see you guys again in a few months. :sweatdrop:

https://i.imgur.com/LOl6DPP.mp4

On 10/25/2018 at 6:11 AM, Troe Zent said:

A Fox In Space's Matthew Gafford

I've had some small talk with him on youtube but no real conversations. If I make it far enough I'd not mind having him voice Wolf. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Nari said:

been waiting for this things relase is it done yet?

Pretty much all my time goes to Hyrule Conquest. There's not really enough of a following for this for me to prioritize it over my other work.

• 2 weeks later...