What gaming capture device is best to buy?

amazinglife

Question

Hello everyone. I'm not sure who and how many people are familiar with game capture devices here, but if you are maybe you could help me out with this one. Right now I currently have a Roxio Game Capture, but it is not that great at all so I would like to buy a better one. The two main ones I have in mind are the following.

Elgato Game Capture HD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840353W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=137RABBEH0EGNTJ5S5E2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

and

Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZT8QKO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=137RABBEH0EGNTJ5S5E2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I'm not familiar with either device, but I have read that these two are the best you can find. Although the Elgato costs a little more, I don't mind spending it if it works better. I mainly need this for my Youtube channel. as I currently have a little over 300 Subscribers and want to start uploading videos that have better quality.

So if you help me with this, that would be great! Also, if you are familiar with a device on amazon that works just as good as these (especially if it is cheaper :-P), that would be good as well!

13 answers to this question

Any particular reason it needs to be a "gaming" capture device? There are other video capture devices out there that would work just as well and probably would cost less.

Any particular reason it needs to be a "gaming" capture device? There are other video capture devices out there that would work just as well and probably would cost less.

The main reason I wanted a gaming device is because I want it for my PS3 and Wii U. I did not know that you could use a normal device on a console, so I guess those would not hurt either if they work just as good (as long as they can support HDMI for Wii U and whatever kind of hook up you need for the PS3 due to their HDCP).

I'm personally a fan of the DVD recorder route, but they're as rare as hen's teeth these days (they were very uncommon and expensive to begin with, back in the day). Yeah, there's not any HDMI support (although mine does have component, IIRC), but since you're doing YT work, people will probably be streaming at 480p (or less!) anyway. They're very simple to use (it's basically a VCR with a disc instead of a tape), and there's no worrying about hard drive space or low RAM or dropped frames. After you've filled up a disc with 1-4 hours of gameplay, you just rip the disk to your computer, re-encode it and deinterlace it for editing, and you're done. 

The main reason I wanted a gaming device is because I want it for my PS3 and Wii U. I did not know that you could use a normal device on a console, so I guess those would not hurt either if they work just as good (as long as they can support HDMI for Wii U and whatever kind of hook up you need for the PS3 due to their HDCP).

Video is video. The capture device won't care what the source is. HDCP could be an issue, though, since it is a copy protection scheme and capture devices are copying devices. But I think it only uses it for playing BluRay movies.

I seriously think you could make do with just

http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

If you got reasonably good splitter cables.

Not sure if a signal booster would be necessary.

or you could just emulate like every other let's player in the history of ever

I'm personally a fan of the DVD recorder route, but they're as rare as hen's teeth these days (they were very uncommon and expensive to begin with, back in the day). Yeah, there's not any HDMI support (although mine does have component, IIRC), but since you're doing YT work, people will probably be streaming at 480p (or less!) anyway. They're very simple to use (it's basically a VCR with a disc instead of a tape), and there's no worrying about hard drive space or low RAM or dropped frames. After you've filled up a disc with 1-4 hours of gameplay, you just rip the disk to your computer, re-encode it and deinterlace it for editing, and you're done. 

Ive never though of trying it that way before. I do have a DVD player which records onto to blank DVDs, so that could be something to try if all else fails. Haha!

Video is video. The capture device won't care what the source is. HDCP could be an issue, though, since it is a copy protection scheme and capture devices are copying devices. But I think it only uses it for playing BluRay movies.

Unfortunately from everything I have found so far, I would have to use the Component/AV section anyway when it comes to the PS3 due to HDCP (even with one of the devices I listed in the OP). HD is actually not that important for me though as I have a rather small channel anyway.

I have not found a device that suits my interest yet, but ill probably keep looking. Thanks for the advice. :-)

I seriously think you could make do with just

http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

If you got reasonably good splitter cables.

Not sure if a signal booster would be necessary.

or you could just emulate like every other let's player in the history of ever

Thanks for the link! That kind of device does look like it would get the job done, but I'm not totally sure if I want to go with that particular device, mainly because I have a feeling it is some kind of Chinese knockoff due to its low ratings and it not even having any kind of brand name. :/

Thanks for sharing though!

If you split the signal, you will need a repeating splitter. Repeating splitters take the input signal and resend it out both outputs. This is an HDMI one, though I have never heard of this one so I cannot vouch for it: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=pd_sim_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=00N6TSWBPEY8N0CPBYQG

Y-cables suck and will seriously degrade the quality.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I have an older Adaptec Gamebridge I recieved from a friend that I use to record sometimes. It only has Composite/S-Video capabilities, but it seems to work okay for what I use it for.

Honestly, so few people watch YT in HD that it's not really necessary to do so. Hell, you could probably record on Betamax and people wouldn't notice :P

If you split the signal, you will need a repeating splitter. Repeating splitters take the input signal and resend it out both outputs. This is an HDMI one, though I have never heard of this one so I cannot vouch for it: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=pd_sim_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=00N6TSWBPEY8N0CPBYQG

Y-cables suck and will seriously degrade the quality.

I'm not familiar either, but the reviews look good, and it is surely cheap for going the HDMI route. :-)

I have an older Adaptec Gamebridge I recieved from a friend that I use to record sometimes. It only has Composite/S-Video capabilities, but it seems to work okay for what I use it for.

Ill have to look it up (though who knows if they still make it if it is older). :-P

Honestly, so few people watch YT in HD that it's not really necessary to do so. Hell, you could probably record on Betamax and people wouldn't notice :-P

I myself don't watch it in HD either (mainly due to my internet though). Haha!

I might just try this out with my Gamecube (since my current device does not support it unless I buy a component cable that costs like $200 on amazon). xD

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with an HDMI device + that splitter for at least PS3 though, and probably either just stick with my current device, get a cheap device, or maybe try the DVD thing for PS2 (as I could use PS2 with HDMI anyway). It could be my PS3's settings, but I do notice that recording it using my current capture (which uses component cables) makes the PS3 look worse then even my PS2. xD

I don't think I have any more questions on this, so thanks again everyone for helping. :-)

• Like 1

That device I linked is NOT a capture device. It is a splitter. You would use one so you can capture on your PC while playing on your TV.

^Yeah I knew that, that is why I said + the splitter, as I assume I would also need an HD capture card. ;P

• Owner/Technical Admin

Speaking of splitter, I need to find one to split the signal coming from my video game systems, one to go to my AV system/TV and the other to go into the gamebridge.

I also forgot to mention that the gamebridge is nice, however it requires you to install their special software to interface with the device and record. If you buy one secondhand, the software can be difficult to find, but I do have an ISO that i managed to find that works with it,