Predator and Prey

Star_Dragon

(Apologies for the DP, but I want to keep this going. Anyone's post. Naza, OneUnder, Arminius, Clear... come on. I don't want this to die a second time.)

(Sorry, I figured that Clear would've posted as a direct continuation to that.  Seconded on keeping this thing alive!)

"Great, this guy's a sergeant and he can't even look up.  Let's see him under some actual stress," the raccoon contemptuously muttered under his breath.  Although he tried to remain friendly, he didn't have patience for an attitude or demeanor that could potentially get them all killed.  And yet, was he making too hasty of a judgement?  The glare eventually faded from his face, and he sighed. 

"How's it going, Spector?", Neil asked, outstretching his black-furred hand to shake.  The more numbers they had to throw at this assault at the end of the day, the better, regardless of how he perceived their competency.  Turning his head in Trask's direction as he waited to be acknowledged by the avian, he raised an eyebrow. 

"Support from the air, or otherwise easy flanks thanks to these two might just be what the doctor ordered."      

It would not take the Szabla long before it and the crew arrived in the Khitomer system, where they would be received by two Ruthenian cruisers. Bohdan waited on his command chair, while Elizabeth, Sandor, and Korben sat on the other chairs beside Bohdan. Korben was monitoring overall progress to Khitomer, Elizabeth was overseeing key ship systems, like weapons, shields, engines, and life support, while Sandor was fast asleep. Jerzy was lording over the security of the ship, while Tessa was at the helm. The hum-drum of the various mercenaries' activities echoed in the bridge, while Bohdan waited patiently on his chair.

"So, Chmiel," began Jerzy, "do you know why the Romulans attacked Virinat?"

"I have no idea," replied Bohdan, still looking out into the vastness of space, which rushed by the ship at a speed faster than light. "Perhaps the colony or its inhabitants had somehow agitated them."

(Alright, that's two. Where's everyone else? Clear, waiting on you. Naza, I'm sure you can find something to post about, like those interview-looking posts toward the beginning with Amelia looking back on events that happened in this RP. Something to let me know we're all still in this.)

((Lemme quit being lazy))

"We were exhausted," Derek explained. "It was like... We had been running on adrenaline, adrenaline, adrenaline. And once we settled down on the ship, it hit us like a tonne of bricks. I was sore from all the stress that had been put on my body. All I wanted to do was sleep. Just sleep forever and then wake up in a field of flowers, safe and warm.

"Ugh, I will ask this guy later," Amelia had groaned before sitting down somewhere to give her body some rest. She was following Trask to the bridge, and then realized how tired she was and slumped down in the nearest seat.

Derek zoomed in on Amelia's face; dirty, eyes closed, mouth slightly agape. It hadn't been fifteen seconds, and she already looked as if she was comatose. "...You still awake?" Derek inquired.

"...Uhhhh!" Amelia moaned, sounding like a zombie as she shooed Derek and the camera away. Of course, Derek did not leave her alone.

"Aren't you even curious as to where we are going and why?"

"They said something about Khitomer or whatever." Amelia said without opening her eyes. "I'll bug Trask for info later..."

"Okay."

After a few moments, Amelia opened her eyes and looked at the camera. "I don't know how these people do it. Like, aren't they tired?"

"Who?"

"These people. Trask. Whoever else. We all almost got killed, and they are just swanning around like this is procedure."

"Well..." Derek paused as Amelia started to yawn. "...It is procedure. These people deal with constant action all the time."

"Oh, is that right?"

"Yeah..."

(Your turn, Clear.)

(Well, I passed my exams. Don't have to worry about them any longer! :D )

''H...Hey.'' Spector managed to eventually quit being timid and managed to look up at Neil. ''Um... Sal, help me out here...''

''He's also a bit of a quiet guy, too.'' Sal explained. ''Like I said, you'll have to excuse him. But when it comes to the actual task, he's more than reliable.''

''So are you,'' Spector added. Sal smiled.

''What exactly are we doing again? Because we seem to be just standing here, doing nothing.''  Sal asked Trask. ''You said we were headed to Khitomer or something.''

(Congrats, Clear!)

"Yes - follow me, I'll give you the details in the briefing room," Trask responded. Accessing his comm, he directed an order to Tovan. "Tovan - lay in a course for Khitomer, maximum warp." He then led the group to his briefing room, where he said as the others would be taking seats, "Now - to business. We have all apparently agreed to help the Romulan Republic take on the Tal Shiar. I have been given the Vice Admiral rank among them, so seeing as you all have followed in my wake since Virinat, I would assume that puts you all under my command. Our first task is to provide security to the Republic delegation going to Khitomer to negotiate alliances with the Klingon Empire and the United Federation of Planets. That said, we are also expecting - though we have no actionable intel that they will - the Tal Shiar to take the opportunity to assassinate the Republic leaders that will be present, or at least sabotage the peace talks in some way. I'll need some of us to head down planetside with me to oversee security, and the rest of us will stay up here on the Retribution's Thunder to make sure Tal Shiar ships don't cause any trouble. Those of us going down planetside will have to keep our eyes open for anything strange. The same goes with those of us staying here. Any questions?"

(Arminius, feel free to make up a scene while waiting for Trask and company to get to Khitomer. Remember: The Tal Shiar would want to screw up the Khitomer talks, but aren't stupid enough to do it in the open - they prefer subtlety to overt tactics.)

• Like 1

(Nice job, Clear!)

Listening intently for once at the instructions outlined to them, Neil steered his glance toward the others in the room, studying their faces for any indication of the trepidation that he was encountering.  As if the combat they already faced wasn't touch and go, were they truly playing the role of diplomatic protection detail?  His tail stiffened at the thought.  Upon hearing Trask's concluding remarks, the raccoon slowly raised his hand in the air to pose a question that had been nagging him.

"In addition to us, how many more boots on the ground are we allied with - if shit hits the fan, what sort of numbers are we talking about taking on here?"  He rested both hands upon his knees, inadvertently locking eyes with the wolf as he waited for a response.  There were noble causes and then there were suicide missions; Neil wanted to ensure that they were on the side of the former!

• Like 1

"In all honesty, we don't know. D'Tan expects the Tal Shiar to try something, but they aren't stupid enough to try something in the open; they prefer subtlety to overt militant activity. That's why I want whoever goes down planetside with me to keep their eyes open for anything suspicious, I don't care how trivial," Trask explained. "I don't expect a repeat incident of Virinat, both because Khitomer is neutral territory, and because not only will Republic forces be there, so will the forces of the Klingon Defense Force and Starfleet. The Tal Shiar wouldn't try anything stupid in the open when facing down three factions. Make no mistake - we expect them to try and sabotage this event. They would want to ensure we can't get any allies, make us an easier target. That's what the Tal Shiar was known for, both before and after the destruction of Romulus and Remus. So keep your eyes open for anything odd, and I mean anything."

(Basically, what I am saying is that I will drop hints of what's going to happen at Khitomer, so read my posts carefully.)

In the quiet orbit of Khitomer, a strange Tachyon emission could be detected nearby. Neither the Klingon nor Starfleet vessels paid it any heed, dismissing it as a random flux. But the emission was a little too curious, too... lasting, to be anything random. Something was out there, though what that something was was unclear.

Sighing as he nodded his head in response, Neil could not deny that Trask's answer was both detailed and potentially dire if not heeded.  That wasn't to say that he liked one bit of it though.  They were going into what could possibly be an ambush, but it wouldn't be a straightforward ambush.  No, it had to be a subtle one, so they wouldn't see it coming even more so, and might not even know when it actually came!  He rested his elbows on his knees, and his head on his hands, waiting for any other thoughts on the matter. 

One minute he was at a cantina, waiting for something to eat.  The next, he was about to assist in a diplomatic mission to avoid galactic war.

"I'll never complain about havin' a shitty day again."

(Waiting on you, Clear.)

(Sorry, I forgot to mention that now that I've finished school, I'm back to once-a-week posts. Also, my Exodus for this summer is coming up... I'll give you more details nearer the the time.)

''I... Guess I'll help you.'' Sal said, despite sounding a little uncertain. ''Spec, you wanna come with?''

''No thanks. I'll stay here, and that way, I can give you the heads up in case something happens.'' Spector replied.

(Also, sorry about my posts being quite short, I've also a lot on my plate right now; so finding time to keep up is tricky.)

As the Szabla raced through space, it received a sub space message from Ruthenia. Bohdan, sitting in his command chair, received it personally. It was the Czar. Bohdan pulled his hologram onto the bridge.

"Col. Chmielnicki," he began, leaning on his three foot long cane. His youthful age was offset by his physical disability incurred by a terrible automobile accident decades ago. Although he could still walk, His Majesty did not have the mobility he had as a child. Bohdan stood up from his chair, and balled his right hand into a closed fist. He placed it against his heart, and bowed. Every other Ruthenian on the bridge did the same.

"Your Majesty?" Bohdan inquired.

"I have changed my mind about this whole adventure. The cruisers have been recalled, and you are to stand down." Bohdan, understanding the Czar's viewpoint, nodded. Sandor, however, was discontent, and shook his head.

"As you wish, Your Majesty," replied Bohdan.

"Remember Col.," continued the Czar, "I am safeguarding the lives of thousands of Ruthenians. I hope your men understand." Bohdan turned to Sandor briefly, and looked back at his sovereign.

"They do, Your Majesty." The Czar smiled and nodded. He then motioned the transmission be cut, and almost instantly, the royal hologram disappeared. Bohdan sighed, and slumped down onto his chair. "You heard the Czar. To Ruthenia. But first, we must contact Vice Admiral Trask." Bohdan then motioned a communications' officer to hail the Republican Fleet.

• OneUnder locked this topic