• 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10

So recently I bought one of my old childhood remembered games starfox adventures. Is it as good as I remember? Or did I out grow it and think it sucks now? Lets find out!

Story-

The story starts with Krystal riding a flying dinosour chasing General scale's ship. She came to this planet to see if she can find answers to her home planets destruction. The ships defenses made her drop her staff and After destroying most/all the defenses she boards it herself and does a bit of snooping around then is caught by scales and thrown off his ship but the dinosour saved her from falling and brought her to the Krozoa palace where she did her first test and returned the spirit to the shrine but a unknown enemy attacked her and imprissioned her in a crystal with the krazoa spirit spinning around her.

Later Fox and the team is shown being around the area in a very bad condition great fox, the engines barely work and its all rusted and I think also bent and deformed. General pepper says that the planet is being torn apart and if the planet blows up it could effect the entire lylat system. So Fox is sent down to the planet to investigate and fix it.

Once fox lands he appears in thorntail hollow and finds Krystal's staff which she dropped. Fox gets a message about the staff and it becomes his main weapon since the general said not to bring his gun since he's trying to save it and not destroy it (Even know the staff has a blaster feature and super earthquake moves) Fox later finds the queen earthwalker and she says that Fox needs to get all 4 spellstones to get the planet back together since general scales took them out of their place.

Fox is then warped by the warp stone to ice mountain where he must save prince tricky and after going through the mountain he finally catches up and tricky joins the cause. They go to snowhorn waste where they save the darkice mines gatekeeper and fox flies to darkice mines. Once they arrive and saves the snowhorn princess we find out that scales made them all slaves to work at the mines. Once getting deeper in the mines you go to Galdon who is holding the first spellstone, after defeating him to obtain the spellstone and go to volcano force point temple to place the stone where it belongs. Once Fox leaves the Krazoa spirit which Krystal released finds fox and tells him if he does not find the other spirits Krystal will die. Fox was hesitant at first since he didn't have time to save a stranger but Tricky talks him into it and then he does the first test in moon mountain pass. Once he completes the test he goes to the Krazoa palace and frees the first spirit and finds Krystal which he finds him self speechless at her beauty... Ah Krystal, how to describe you... I think the first 8 seconds of this clip says it all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7T8uZ_rKOM
You may have been the sole reason Command sucked so bad but you were awesome in assault so I think it balances out...

Anyway after Fox fantasizes about Krystal he goes to cape claw and released the cloudrunner queen who is also the gatekeeper of the cloudrunner fortress. Tricky being an earthwalker hates the cloudrunners so he sits this one out. He finds scales interogating the queen so he steps in but is quickly knocked out by the defensive drones and is in jail. He escapes by moving some bricks around and going to unlocked cells and breaks a wall so he can get the sharpclaw disquise. He gets his staff after the guard thinks he is a sharpclaw and leaves allowing Fox to get his staff. After resqueing the queen and her kids he goes to the treasure room where he races to get the spellstone. He gets it leaving the fortress and goes to ocean force point temple.

Before he makes it to the ocean force point temple he gets caught by the lightfoot tribe and accuses him of stealing a jewel so they attempt to execute him but a cloudrunner saves his life. Before Fox can leave he must complete the 2 test. Once complete he becomes a member of their tribe and is shown the way to the Krazoa spirit's chamber under their village. He collects it and returns it to the palace.

He then returns to the queen after saving eggs and uses the portal device to open a seal then he travels to the walled city where he must face off against the powerful red eyed tribe and save the king earthwalker. Fox gets the super ground quake as the only way to knock down a red eyed and blows then up using bombs and gets the 2 teeth in a few temples to open the way to the king red eye who has a spell stone. After he defeats the king he gets the spellstone and goes back to the planet where he releases it at Volcano force point temple.

Once he returns to the hollow it becomes under attack by sharp claw so after defeating them he gets the large wallet where he can then buy a golden root which was stolen by a snowhorn. He goes to snowhorn waste and returns it where he gives fox the chance to prove himself. Once fox succeeds the next Krazoa spirit is obtained and returned.

Fox returns to the hollow and finds out that the next gatekeeper to dragon rock is the really quite dinosour who says nothing. He explains that he led a team against scales but failed getting them captured. He opens the way to dragon rock and fox travels there. After freeing the team and destroying the shields fox goes into the tower and faces Drakor, a mutation that scales created. He gets the final spellstone and goes back to ocean force point temple to return it. Once that was done he thought his mission was complete but the planet stayed apart, it is then discovered that all the spirits are needed to control the energy of the spellstones.

Fox then goes to the walled city and goes through 2 more temples to get to the Krazoa shrine. After completing the test fox says his good byes to tricky and flies right to the palace. After placing the spirit he goes up to the roof to the final area where he fights general scales. A mysterious voice tells scales to give the spirit to fox and 3 sharp claw turn against him so he has no choice but to obey. Scales gives up the final spirit and fox releases it.

All 6 goes into Krystal awaking her and are all released into the giant statue head. After fox saves her from falling she takes back her staff and shoots at the giant head. Fox rushes to his plane and chases it and finds out it was Andross which found out about the energy and used it to bring himself back to life. After it seemed fox was about to loose Falco comes in and saves him by supplying Fox with bombs. After fighting andross fox returns to the great fox and the general talks about how the day was saved and their pay is going to them as they speak. The team gets excited that they can finally repair the ships and arwings and rob can get oil. (Which they do more then just repair, they upgrade everything and even get new toys) Falco walks and ask if he can join again which Fox agrees then Krystal walks in to say thank you and joins the team after the other members tease fox about his obvious crush. (This thing is easy to break into)

Gameplay- You move like most games adventure games. It's pretty smooth and I don't recall any time the controls screwed me. There are times where you are on these hover bikes that are a tad stiff though I think that was intentional. 

Graphics- Amazing, the artist of the game used advanced rendering techniques to add individual strands of hair on fox and anything that has hair, there is allot of detail and the game still looks good even on a HD TV.

Music- Amazing. Even if the soundtrack does not fit certain areas its still really good.

Complaints- When I 100%ed... Oh wait, you cant 100% this game. You see when you go to the walled city the 2nd time you cant go back to the planet, once you defeat andross it does not save and you are basically stuck at Krazoa palace.

This is more of a nitpick but the layout. Its good but its REALLY not meant for Dinosours. Like having ladders and narrow pathways for creatures that are huge and have no hands but paws instead. My theory is that the Krazoa's built nearly everything and that is why its shaped the way it is. But there are staff switches everywhere, there is only one staff and I don't think its from the planet so... It makes no sense.

Time limit... This game is full of them but its hardly the time limit its self that bugs me... Its they give you just enough time. Some events people's best time has like .5 seconds left before time runs out.

The map could have been better... And dinosour planet is small. Like you travel to the flying parts of the planet, and judging by how the outer paths mimic the levels perfectly, you see that this planet is small, like I don't even think its bigger than places like new york city

Wants in the game-
I want to be able to save after the final boss and travel the planet after game, Talk to Krystal and the team on the great fox, interact with the dinosours who will thank you or whatever for saving them. Things like that.

A better map.

who is it recommended for- Any one who likes 3D puzzle games.

Rating-9.9/10. The last .1 comes from some REALLY BS things in the game.

Now for some fun facts. This game was gonna be its own game where Krystal was Fox's sister and Andross was an evil wizard but Nintendo bought it and replaced the characters.

So far we have no idea where Krystal comes from. All we know is her planet was destroyed by a enemy but after this game she sort of quit caring. Many think that Andross destroyed it as Krystal wears ancient clothing and has a magical staff and tattoo's suggesting that she was a higher class in her tribe/city. The planet clearly had magic so Andross probably tried to bring himself at her home planet but failed so he let Krystal survive leading her to Sauria and using scales for the invasion to get Fox's attention, he would then use the spirits and Krystal to bring himself back and kill fox. With Krystal's agression at first sight she may have known who attacked her home planet and once Andross died she may have completed her goals.

So did you guys think this game was good, bad, or meh? Rate it in the poll, and say your thoughts in the comments below :D

I have to say that this game is my favorite video game in the whole wide world. I have loved it since I first got it in Christmas of 2002. Although I love this game so much, I do have some complaints about it as most critics should.

Let's start with what I love. First off, it's a cool looking game. I love adventure games and I have been into Starfox for quite some time before it came out. I love how beautiful and realistic the graphics look. The music is very nice, too. I, myself, love the fact that it's a Starfox adventure game even though Starfox is known for its Arwing shooter based games. I love adventure games and the fact that they made a Starfox game with those specific elements made it even better. Also, the fact that it was made by Rareware is something else about it that really got to me. I love Rareware games like Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong, in fact, the first video game I ever played, Diddy Kong Racing, was made by Rareware as well as Donkey Kong Country 3, the original version. I especially love the music in the game. It sounds so beautiful. I also love how they incorporated magic even though Starfox is technology based. The magical staff is so cool. But what really got to me more than anything is the main character, Fox McCloud. Everything about him is just so incredible. He's my favorite character in the entire game. I love how he looks  and I especially love his voice. It drive me crazy everytime I listen to him. I think his voice sounds the best and I would love to meet the guy who did his voice. It makes the cutscenes my favorite part.

As much as I love the game, even I have some complaints about it. First off, I did not like how it ended. I didn't like the fact that after you beat it, you can't go back to all the places you have visited. I would have to restart the whole game just to see them all, again. Another thing I was disappointed about were the scarcity of extras and unlockables. I would have loved to have an option to watch the cutscenes as many times as I want without replaying the game. I did like the soundtrack option but that was just it. I couldn't care less about the credits, dino language option I don't use and the sepia tone allows you to see the game in black and white. Who would want that? I also didn't like the fact that Andross was the main villain behind the events of Dinosaur Planet even though some of what happened did make sense to a point. I just wish they incorporated General Scales more rather than show up a few times. He barely did anything while he was being seen, he didn't even fight. I would have loved to see him more as a villain even though he was just a pawn in Andross' evil plan to revive himself. Another thing that really bothers me is the fact that the adventuring game play was based off of the Legend of Zelda series which makes it unoriginal. I didn't play the Legend of Zelda games until several years ago when my brother purchased the N64 version of Ocarina of Time at an archive store. I was also very disappointed with the fact that they didn't even have a princess. They had a king, a queen and a prince but no princess. They didn't even mention that they had any. I think making Krystal a princess might have compensated for that, but that's up to the creators. At least Falco showed up even though it was at the very end and his part was my only favorite part of the last cutscene, but I would have loved to hear him say more things. I also liked how he looked and sounded, although, not as much as Fox.

Despite the complaints I have for the game, it really is my favorite out of all of them. I would give this game a 9 out of 10 because it's almost perfect. I have played it over 20 times already and I still love it. I think the game itself is perfect for the Ultimate Story and a lot of what the game lacks that I want I can most certainly fill in for my story, including the lack of a princess, which their are plenty of in my story. If they ever remake the game, I hope that they would fill in some of those holes that I pointed out but more than anything, I want Steve Malpass to voice Fox McCloud, again. Either that or reuse his voiceclips. If they have someone else doing the voice that doesn't sound as good, I'm going to be so mad.

• Like 1

I like this game a lot, and it has to be my favorite of the newer SF games.  The graphics, the Zeldaesque gameplay, and the tribal atmosphere with dinosaurs makes the game for me.  

This was the first Star Fox game I beat. It wasn't my introduction to Star Fox, but it was the first one I beat.

I like it, though I'm also a big fan of Zelda games so I'm biased.

If anything I like the graphics and physics.

I didn't like how only one enemy ever attacked you at the same time though. The same combo could beat most enemies one at a time.

Robert Monroe looks at the poll votes.

Robert Monroe lets out a long, drawn-out sigh.

Do you guys know what a 10/10 game is? Or a 9/10? Or even a 8, 7, or 6/10 game is?

You really, obviously do not, because otherwise you wouldn't be giving Starfox Adventures such high ratings. I know this is such a tired and beaten topic, and it is one I have argued over for over ten years now, but it seems it refuses to die, and so long as it lives I shall be there to hunt it.

Ok, let's get some things straight, here. A 10/10 game is literally claiming perfection. Putting aside the idea that nothing can ever truly be perfect, what games do you think of when one says 10/10? Games that are groundbreaking. Revolutionary. Fantastic in every department. If they don't blaze new trails, then they provide a paragon of an established formula. A 9/10 game? Similarly so, perhaps with just one frustrating element that prevents it from being as close to perfect as it can be. 8/10? Top quality, if not revolutionary. A standard of excellence. A 7/10 game? A good game. One that does its job well, albeit with some problems. Its well polished, just not noteworthy. 6/10? Above average. Nothing to write home about, but you enjoyed it. 

5/10 is middle of the road. Average. A game that you played and didn't really do anything new or special nor was it outstandingly bad or terrible. And then you get below that. Below average and worse. Games where the flaws outweigh the perks. That is where Starfox Adventures -should- be ranked.

I am not saying you can not enjoy SFAd. Hell, I liked to play it a lot myself. I'm not saying you can't like it, that you find merit or fun out of it. But what I -am- saying is that objectively speaking, SFAd is a goddamn piece of shit game undeserving of any praise or shallow numerical rating higher than a -5-. At best it is -average- in its design, and I think that is giving it too much credit.

Gameplay? A chore, usually. It is not an "adventure" game. It touts itself as a Zelda clone, but there's nothing Zelda-esque about it aside from the veeery loosely based Zelda style control scheme, and even that isn't very similar. The dungeons are linear and have almost no puzzles, and become shorter and more simplistic as the game progresses. The Force Point temples are a bit more challenging, but this is killed by the fact you do each of them -twice- which makes them repetetive. The second venture into each you actually skip most of the puzzles because you -solved- them already the first time. There is no overworld. There is no exploration or side quests to really speak of (and no, finding goddamn token wells which are -easily- found down a narrow linear side path while trekking through the narrow linear main areas of the game for a chance to wander in a shitty maze for 10 minutes does not count). Things that feel like they SHOULD be side quests are railroaded into the main story (the blue Snowhorn, the wallet upgrades). There is absolutely nothing really to discover, no real minigames, no adventure. Its a theme park, a carnival ride that treads along at an unbearingly slow pace and forces you to look at everything only when the game wants you to do so.

The combat system is a waste; it is relatively complex but utterly useless as enemies are stupidly passive and attack in slow, predictable patterns. All the special moves and combos you pull are unneeded because you can just mash A to win without any pacing or timing. Just mash mash mash and they'll eventually die. Galdon is the only notworthy boss; and even he is mostly just a slow paced puzzle boss. The second dungeon has no boss. King Redeye is a glitchy set piece you beat up inside a corridor. Drakor is an uneventuful rail shooting segment. Andross is Andross, and decently designed, but not final boss material. 

And the Arwing? you know, the -Star- in Starfox? Wasted. Six different shooter sections, if you count Andross. One of which you will do twice (Walled City), and another you will do -SEVEN- (the path to Sauria), and it is the -easiest most boring one-. Some of the levels look cool, but you only do them once, ever. And they just exist as very obvious padding which are not integrated into the game at all; they're stand alone filler thrown in to look "Starfox"ish, and none of them are challenging or hold water to any of the levels from SF64. A total downgrade.

Story? Laughable. A shallow story can still be a good one, if it is presented properly and consistantly. Starfox Adventures' story is neither. I don't expect high class writing from a Nintendo game, but I do expect consistancy and cohesion. Adventures does not deliver. Fox is shoe-horned into an idiotic no-weapons-allowed mission despite being a mercenary most known for -blowing shit up-. Scales' ploy to rule Sauria is never explained, even half-assedly so, and the idiot seems content in letting his own planet blow up because sure why not. The game just randomly throws new twists at you in a vague effort to keep you interested without any real emotional investment or fucks to give. "Ohhh, get the spellstones! Oh, also, get Krazoa spirits to help some girl you've never met! Oh, you need the spirits to make the spellstones work, should've told you than sooner! Why didn't we integrate that into the narrative earlier instead of all this roundabout bullshit with Krystal? Ohhh!". This is ignoring the increasingly lazy writing as the story draws towards its close (Kyte magically knows that Fox knows Krystal! Except he shouldn't, but he does! And that is to say NOTHING of Andross stealing the final boss role just because), too. Adventures fails in the story department. There's no development, no investment, no interaction of note. Its just a string of random bullshit tied together by a string.

Graphics? I'll give you this, Adventures looks amazing. Everything is colorful as hell and extremely well detailed for its time, and still holds up today. The aesthetic is kind of generic at times, but other times its amazing (Krazoa Palace yo).

Sound? Also a give. Very beautiful arrangements and catchy tunes and some good remixes as well. Well suited to the environments as well.

So what am I getting at? What I'm getting at is pretty graphics and pretty music, a good game does not make. SFAd fails on every aspect of being an adventure game, much less a -good- adventure game. All it has going for it is a pretty paint job and sound design that at least controls smooth and nicely to distract you from how shallow and SHIT it is, and my god it must do a good damn job if people keep rating this waste of space so highly after ten years since its release. It isn't phenominal, it isn't well made, it isn't GOOD, it isn't even AVERAGE. It is a cobbled together mess with a really nice paint job, and nothing more. See reason, people! This isn't subjective opinion! It is fact! SFAd fails on every level needed for a game to be considered a GOOD GAME, and I'm tired of nostalgia blindness and excuses of "well I had fun playing it" hiding it from its shameful truth. Urgh.

• Like 3

Star Fox Adventures is Star Fox's answer to Shadow the Hedgehog in that it damaged the series beyond repair. Assault did the KO Punch. Command tried to salvage the series but it was too late and has been scapegoated ever since.

No Command was shitty too.

bad controls bad story(ies plural) bad characters bad level design

it really is the worst of the series its just by then the bar was sent stupidly low

• Like 3

A lot of Star Fox fans claim 64 is overrated, but honestly they seem to overrate the Gamecube games just as much. (Especially Assault.)

Everybody has an opinion on everything. Although Starfox Adventures is my most favorite video game, I am not offended if someone has something bad to say about it. I agree, it left out too much that could have made it a great game and it did become kind of like a writer's block for the Starfox series. Starfox Assault did nothing to compensate for that. Truth be told, I couldn't care less about what people would consider good or bad games. I'm too busy dealing with my personal issues to even mind any of that. Also, after Starfox Assault, I stopped caring about the Starfox storyline. Starfox Adventures may not have been like good for the storyline but it is good for my story, perfect even. Nintendo can write Starfox Adventures out of the Starfox storyline and give me full access to the game. Trust me, if you see my story, you will find that the game is a much better fit for my story than its original storyline.

bad controls

So, Assault? Especially for the Landmaster.

bad story(ies plural)

So, Adventures? Or Assault?

bad characters

bad level design

So....Assault?

it really is the worst of the series its just by then the bar was sent stupidly low

Explain what Assault has that makes it a better game that Command.

Assault and Command are both pretty bad games. Assault has the worst gameplay and level design, while Command has the worst controls and story. Adventures is definitely the better and more playable game of the GC/DS trilogy, but it's still painfully average at best.

Assault has the worst gameplay and level design, while Command has the worst controls and story.

I might have to give Command the worst level design too actually. Seriously, does anyone remember anything about any of those stages? Like, at all?

Anyway Adventures was a gorgeous game with great atmosphere and terrible-to-mediocre everything else. It was enjoyable, and it wasn't very good.

I can play it without cramping my hands.

The characters didn't have bell-heads.

The levels at least had aesthetic variation.

it only had one stupid storyline instead of like nine.

Assault is shit tier to be sure, but Command was something else entirely. That said, the series was already dead by then. Command just lit itself on fire and threw the corpse off a cliff.

• Like 1

>Topic designed for Starfox Adventures

>People decide to talk about assault/command

So, Assault? Especially for the Landmaster.

So....Assault?

I DO have an assault topic created. You're bashing it on quite a bit of topics, so why not go to it and let loose. Say EVERYTHING you hate about it. Say EVERYTHING you like about it. Tell us just how terrible of a game it truly is and how it tricked people like to think it's a good game.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Robert Monroe looks at the poll votes.

Robert Monroe lets out a long, drawn-out sigh.

Do you guys know what a 10/10 game is? Or a 9/10? Or even a 8, 7, or 6/10 game is?

You really, obviously do not, because otherwise you wouldn't be giving Starfox Adventures such high ratings. I know this is such a tired and beaten topic, and it is one I have argued over for over ten years now, but it seems it refuses to die, and so long as it lives I shall be there to hunt it.

My ratings are different than your normal way of doing it. My ratings are based off of what they TRIED to do, not weather if I personally think it was perfection or not. I'm not a big fan of the SNES game, but what it did was pretty good for its time. Yeah its controls were very sluggish and slow but it was their first go at it so I won't hold it against them.

Adventures was solid weather you liked the game or not, the only bad things that I found were the level design didn't seem very suitable for giant dinosaurs (And the planet did seem rather small) But that's more of a nitpick than anything else. (I mean Hyrule was pretty dang small considering the massive population it most likely has)

My ratings are different than your normal way of doing it. My ratings are based off of what they TRIED to do, not weather if I personally think it was perfection or not.

Ah, how silly of me. of course I should have known that your poll, which invites people to vote on a 1 to 10 scale of their thoughts on Adventures are, does not actually follow the generally accepted common conventions of what numerical values are and instead are your own unheard of, personal, esoteric interpretation of what the game was TRYING to do, regardless if it succeeded or not at achieving that goal.

BECAUSE THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE RIGHT. RIGHT.

863976.gif

I also liked how you completely ignored my in depth assessment of the game itself just to pick at my sardonic frustration at the poll results, and then continue to call Adventures "solid" regardless if I like it or not.

Because if you'd had read my assessment, maybe you'd see that no, Adventures is not a solid game. At all. It is a barely passable game with a really good paint job.

• Like 1

Because I don't doubt what you say so there was nothing to say. I was just saying that I personally rate games differently. That doesn't mean that you have to also, that doesn't mean other people will have to either. Just why I gave it the score I did. Everyone has their own way of rating with opinions. I didn't tell you to use MY personal method, I know mine isn't always "Accepted", but neither is IGN's, neither are other professional game reviewers. It's all opinion on this one. I may question your opinions at times, but if I don't reply to it, it means I have nothing against it.

Okay, wait, no, you do kind of have a fundamental misunderstanding of how ratings work if you're basing yours on things that weren't actually present in the game, but instead on what they "tried" to do, and then proceeding to admonish people for criticizing things that were actually in the game.

• Like 1

Okay, wait, no, you do kind of have a fundamental misunderstanding of how ratings work if you're basing yours on things that weren't actually present in the game, but instead on what they "tried" to do, and then proceeding to admonish people for criticizing things that were actually in the game.

I know how they work. Just because I don't use the typical system personally doesn't mean that I don't know how it works.

My ratings is a mix of how fun I found the game, and what they did. If I don't like a game, then I will still rate it high based on what it did. Sure I could rate a game a 0 if I hate it, but I don't like to do that because it becomes biased at that point. (Which is what happened with command)

And it's JUST a rating system. This topic was mainly meant to say what you like, and do not like about this game. Discuss it, and then rate the game on how much you liked it. And if you didn't like it, then perhaps give it some points if what it did right.

I know how they work. Just because I don't use the typical system personally doesn't mean that I don't know how it works.

My ratings is a mix of how fun I found the game, and what they did. If I don't like a game, then I will still rate it high based on what it did. Sure I could rate a game a 0 if I hate it, but I don't like to do that because it becomes biased at that point. (Which is what happened with command)

And it's JUST a rating system. This topic was mainly meant to say what you like, and do not like about this game. Discuss it, and then rate the game on how much you liked it. And if you didn't like it, then perhaps give it some points if what it did right.

I keep trying to comprehend this post but I'm certain my mind will ascend to a higher plane of existence first.

Like, really. What the heck is this even saying? Why rate high a game you disliked? Unless you mean you'll rate it high on technical achievement despite disliking it? Bias isn't just negative. It can be positive too (a large basis of my posting for this thread is debunking positive bias for SFAd). I'm just calling out what I consider to be ridiculous and obviously not well thought out high ratings for what is objectively a mediocre to sub-par game.

I'm likely to get a bit of flak for this by some; but I give the game about a 7/10.

I honestly didn't first walk into this game with as many problems that a lot of people have complained about. It was my first real puzzle adventure game, and from start to finish It gave me a pretty good impression. The atmosphere was wonderful, the music and environments were stunning to me back then, and there was alot of the world I really just wanted to explore. I was always eager to get to the tuft of land or the next chunk of planet, just to see what type of area was in store for me.

Granted, this was during my early to late teens when I first played and finished it. My perspective has changed somewhat as time went on, but I still keep the rating as it is. The story I can see certainly does tend to drift away from the series' Sci-fi genre quite a bit, and alot of the trade-mark features are near to non-existant, the combat isn't perfect, and enemy variety does sure leave alot to be desired. Then there's the elephant in the room about It's similarity's to Zelda, which I'll admit can roll a few eyes for those who have played the series before.

But for what's there? It isn't bad. It may not be as big as a Zelda title, but like any game it has it's pros as well as it's cons. For me, I still hold Sauria as one of my favorite worlds in a video game to explore.

• Like 1

Based on everything Robert Monroe said about how scoring should work, I still give this game a 7/10.

No change in score.

I'll be contemplating the rest of what was said though to decide if I REALLY think that's the score it deserves. I need time to consider all that was written, and I may return later to change my mind and/or write why I think it it isn't such a bad thing after all.

Although I will say that as much as its praised, I don't particularly care for the music in Adventures.

My reasons for liking it lie in my adoration of action/adventure games and anything remotely similar to 3D Zelda games.

Also I love the physics of Adventures. Just running around was enjoyable for me and I particularly liked how much weight each jump felt like when jumping between platforms.

Plus European accents.

Assault is shit tier to be sure, but Command was something else entirely. That said, the series was already dead by then. Command just lit itself on fire and threw the corpse off a cliff.

The series was never dead. Its not like F-Zero. It kept having games every now and then and never killed itself. At most, it alienated a lot of fans for never taking on a standard form of gameplay to be expected from each game in the series. But even that didn't kill it; It only made itself a tiny ant of what it once was.

Also with the exception of Starfox Command, I don't think there has ever been a Nintendo game that was actually bad. Although I have yet to play Metroid: Other M.

Dead as in "this series is officially shit" now not dead as in "cancelled and no more Starfox forever".

Though I'm not sure why you think F-Zero is dead but thats off topic.

Also I love the physics of Adventures. Just running around was enjoyable for me and I particularly liked how much weight each jump felt like it had when jumping between platforms.

I will say this is true. Adventures had a very solid firm sense of control... probably why I still like playing it despite my dislike of it. A shame it wasn't more effectively utilized.

I keep trying to comprehend this post but I'm certain my mind will ascend to a higher plane of existence first.

Like, really. What the heck is this even saying? Why rate high a game you disliked? Unless you mean you'll rate it high on technical achievement despite disliking it? Bias isn't just negative. It can be positive too (a large basis of my posting for this thread is debunking positive bias for SFAd). I'm just calling out what I consider to be ridiculous and obviously not well thought out high ratings for what is objectively a mediocre to sub-par game.

A mix of that. Like say I hated adventures completely. I didn't run into a single glitch, the fighting worked how it was suppose to. Sure a bit repetitive, but they succeeded in doing what they were trying to do. I found the pacing of the story to be pretty good and fox to be pretty consistant (I actually like this fox. He didn't even want to bother with collecting the spirits or Krystal until he realized that they were needed to save the planet. He didn't want to have Tricky around until he thought he would be useful. He even wanted his blaster though the writers decided that a staff that can shoot and cause massive earthquakes were less destructive than a blaster... DX)

On to more technical things, the rare art guy did something unique using advanced rendering techniques to let fox have all the hair on his body and the game not lag or have framerate issues. This game did allot right and is a love it or hate it game. I personally love it, but I can see why people hate it. But even if you hate something, you still gotta respect what was done. (Like I'm not a big fan of the original starfox on SNES. It's slow, graphics are terrible, and not a fun game to me. BUT what it did was pretty cool for its time and I can see why people think its fun, so I'll give it a higher score despite what my personal thoughts on it being fun are.

Though I'm not sure why you think F-Zero is dead but thats off topic.

There hasn't been a game made in over 10 years nor does Nintendo show any signs of making a new one. So that's when people say its dead. It may be dead emotionally to people (Like after starfox command and like 6 years later, this series is kinda emotionally dead to me) but they are making a new one so clearly its still going.

My problem with saying a series is dead because of bad games is because its purely opinion based. I like assault, so it wasn't dead to me after it. And they are making a new starfox game for WiiU so CLEARLY the series isn't dead at this point. Is it still good or fun? That's a different question, but it's still going.

• 3 weeks later...

Late but better then never

Adventures was a fun game but man when i had to return to the force point temples i felt very annoyed

Also in my opinion Krystal should have played a major role AKA replace tricky in the game but no they gave her the princess peach treatment instead

Or better yet i would have wished it remained Dinosaur planet as Krystal and Sabre would have spun off into their own series

Then the counter argument would become RARE as i am pretty sure they would not sell the series to Nintendo

Rating 7/10

I loved Adventures, it's my favourite so far. The music was especially fantastic and Fox's fur shading still stands strong today.

• Like 1