Dammit, Windows!

LazerMaster5

Question

So ever since the December update to Windows 7, I keep getting a popup saying my copy of Windows is not authentic. I don't know why it is saying this, as I do have an authentic copy of Windows that has worked for about a year and a half without problems. Can someone help me, please? The "online troubleshooter" just wants to sell me a new copy, even though my current key is as authentic as they get. Is anyone else getting the same issue? If so, does anyone know a fix? I would like to know.

16 answers to this question

Yeah, I need to update my computer pretty soon, but at least I'm aware of this. Time to go find that update and hide it.

Just so you know, Hidi, they did pull the update. It's impossible to install this update now.

I had a customer come in this weekend with this same issue so I actually know how to fix it now, haha. It took two reboots to take effect, so that's why it looks like it fixed itself randomly, LazerMaster. :) Microsoft released a patch that fixes it for people who already have it, and when that takes effect it removes the evidence that the offending update and the patch ever existed.

• Like 1

I will confirm this issue. Because I apparently don't have a valid copy either.

Even though it really is.

I got this copy back in '07.

The fuck.

They released a manual patch, but the new update made it impossible for Windows 7 to install new updates, meaning we're pretty much fucked. GG, Microsoft. You fucked up Windows 7 3 times this year. Please get your shit together.

Update: The patch came through yesterday, yet I am still having issues. My properties show my key being active, yet I got that annoying popup twice today.

Edited by LazerMaster5

It's funny, I've had Windows 8 do this with brand new display computers at work, right out of the box. In the last couple of weeks. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I know there's a way to "change" your CD Key and re-validate with Microsoft. Perhaps you'd try that and see if it fixes it? 

Validation is not the issue. The same thing happened again this morning.
jp1uJRF.jpg
When I ran the Windows Authenticator, it said my copy of Windows is genuine.
4luQuxD.jpg
Microsoft needs to get their shit straight.

A bad month for Windows Updates. First the Windows Server 2012 root certificate fuckup and now Windows 7 activations. Great job, Microsoft.

Try uninstalling update KB3004394 and see if that fixes it. All these root certificate and activation issues seem to be related to this update. Microsoft has acknowledged that this update was a clusterfuck and is advising people uninstall it.

You can uninstall updates in "Progams and Fetures"

Start > Type appwiz.cpl (there's a dot between appwiz and cpl, but the font makes it hard to see) in the search box > Press Enter > View Installed Updates

I tried that as well. The update did not show up as one of the updates that can be uninstalled.

See this is why I don't install Microsoft's updates anymore. They hinder more of the time than they do help. You're better off just relying on a firewall, using a browser other than IE, and using a good Anti-Virus scanner if you're concerned about malware.

My HP apparently ate my sound driver. I downloaded the driver from a trusted site, not an update just the damn driver. Then it stopped and told me, "Soundbaster could not install because Soundblaster does not exist."

Dafuq?!!!!!!!!

See this is why I don't install Microsoft's updates anymore. They hinder more of the time than they do help. You're better off just relying on a firewall, using a browser other than IE, and using a good Anti-Virus scanner if you're concerned about malware.

That's terrible advice. Especially if the vulnerability is a nasty one. Plus, updates aren't just for security issues. Sometimes they address performance and stability issues with parts of the OS. Throughout my time supporting PCs, both professionally and as a hobby, I can count the number of times I've been screwed by a bad update on my fingers. And I've installed thousands of updates on hundreds of machines.

Sure, a bad one comes once in a blue moon (and Microsoft DID screw the pooch with KB3004394), but this is not a broken process.

• Like 5

Well it's just that Microsoft has always been pretty shoddy with their products and services. They've had a shitty reputation because of this and it's hard to trust them at times. Skype is a big recent example of this. Ever since they bought out the rights to it they have been making updates that have been hindering the performance of the application. I had to reinstall an earlier version of Skype because a newer one caused the program's clock to spaz out.

You make a great point though, so I can't argue with that.

Skype is actually still a separate company with its own dev teams. True, Microsoft owns the company, but Skype is stilla separate entity.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who procrastinates on (read: completely forgetting about) updating my computer but the before-and-after on updates is like night and day with system performance. They're pretty necessary.

I'd say if you're worried about stuff like this happening (which DOES totally suck--I wish I had a solution for you Lazermaster :( ) disable automatic updates and manually update it instead a couple days afterwards once you know you're in the clear of any big fuckups.

Yeah, I need to update my computer pretty soon, but at least I'm aware of this. Time to go find that update and hide it.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think the issue resolved itself. Huh. Anyway, thanks for the help.