Gun attack on French Satire magazine; 12 dead

Dr. Orange

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

Early this time today, three gunmen entered Charlie Hebdo, a satire magazine headquarters, and killed 12 men and women. 10 Journalists, 2 officers. This is been reported as the greatest terrorist attack in French history and a dark day for Journalism. 

Je suis Charlie.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire 

I've hesitated on making the topic. Way to start the year...

Charlie Hebdo was a satire newspaper created around 40 years ago. Its provacative tone stirred up many controversies, most recently, in 2011 with depictions of the muslin prophet. Their headquarters suffered many attacks since then, but none of such violence. That day, 12 people lost their lives. Among the victims, 4 cartoonists : Cabu, Wolinski, Tignous and Charb, the newspaper's editor. Others include two police officers, one of them executed with one shot in the head as he was lying on the ground, wounded by previous shots.

As I'm writing, a police operation, with the assistance of the Raid (french police elite forces), is going on at the city of Reims.

We've lost many people who were commited to the freedom of expression, even in its provocative form. My thoughts go to the victims and their families. Je suis Charlie.

Edited by Ala1n-J

RIP to the victims of this senseless tragedy, including journalists and the police officers gunned down as well.  Good luck to the police and security forces on the journey to capture the bastards responsible for this attack.

---

12 Journalists.

Two of the dead were police officers. One of them. a Muslim himself, was shot in the head execution style.

I certainly hope these dastardly attackers are brought to justice. What gives them the right to go into an office and slaughter innocent people, anyway?

The world we live in today. Perhaps my youth kept me ignorant, but to me, everything is falling apart around us.

God bless those affected, and I hope justice finds those who are responsible.

Senseless violence solves nothing. Why do these kinds of people keep beating the proverbial dead horse?

You change the world with words, not bullets from a gun.

The world we live in today. Perhaps my youth kept me ignorant, but to me, everything is falling apart around us.

There have been shitty people doing horrendous things for as long as there have been people and it will continue so long as people exist.

• Like 3

There have also been good people. Great people, who have stood up for what is wrong and what is unjust. And when events like this happen, it goes to show that violence should not silence, and fear should not control. 

• Like 2

What makes it seem like things are getting worse is that there was a really weird period of time where the illusion of peace was a little more well-maintained, which was more or less destroyed by the interconnectivity of modern social media. Like for example, the only reason anyone knows the Colorado Springs NAACP chapter was bombed the other day is because of Twitter: http://www.newsweek.com/naacp-chapter-bombing-colorado-springs-deliberate-says-fbi-297399

This attack was awful. The insane degree of Islamophobia pouring out of assjacks in response to it is also awful. Not a good situation all around.

All of this shit over a fucking comic.

My thoughts and condolences go out to everyone affected by this, it shouldn't have happened and those people didn't deserve to die.

I am truly, utterly appalled by what has happened. Not to mention shocked. I have been reading Charlie Hebdo ever
since 2011, and I never would have thought what had happened would happen. My sincerlest condolences to the families
who have lost their loved ones.

Yesterday at my school, we all paid tribute by sticking pictures of the magazine's motto, 'Je Suis Charlie' on our
clothes to pay our respects. I handed around a sheet of paper and all of my class signed it, 'Nous sommes Charlie'
written at the top of it.

This is truly a dark time for both freedom of press and France. But I will stand with those mourning the losses.

Je suis Charlie. Et je vais rester à côté de vous pour toujours.

Good luck to the police and security forces on the journey to capture the bastards responsible for this attack.

Agreed, I hope they catch the 'connards' who did this.