Future of StarFox (gameplay category)

AlGore'sleftshoe

Now in terms of gameplay there has been a steady evolution herion after SNES; SNES was just the basic rail shooter, ok but certainly doesn't pass by modern standards, some of the best music I've ever heard, and the classic space overview, I never was that big of a fan of the alternate branch thing, but eh.

StarFox 2 although cancelled was the first to introduce all-range combat (THE BEST PART of StarFox obviously), the first to introduce land-air battle where the Arwing transforms into a mech-like walker with pew pew lasers and cannons, also introducing team StarWolf, and the ability to enter and battle within space super structures like in StarWars; a HUGE plus to the series and is the best StarFox game ever, this isn't an opinion, this is an irrifutable fact, don't agree? DEAL WITH IT, BUG NUTS. first to have a multiplayer (very glitchy, but...eh) Also I love the Space Overview being used more like an RTS, but the mission design becomes more of a space battle sim like StarWars BattleFront 2 space, or Freespace, but with ground combat, which is what I love about it the most. Miyu and Fey, being the first females in the games was also a big plus, an all male cast is unnacceptable, especially for a more serious series, given Nintendo would take StarFox seriously.

StarFox 64 was a great game, but it certainly isn't the best, in my opinion (which is a fact, so its factually not the best), SF2 won't really pass for a modern game MAINLY because of visuals obviously; no way does a 3d geometric arrowhead make the screen pop anymore, even if it looks cool. SF64 had the first truly 3d world for StarFox, despite being textured polygon animals flying in decent looking vehicles. Storywise; not any better then the others ( didn't mention that til now because it doesn't really matter in this discussion), but gameplay wise, its a mixed bag, I love the all-range battles, even though I expected to actually be able to FLY HIGHER, and not basically be like the Snowspeeder from StarWars, the all-range was fun, but VERY limited. the rail shooter wasn't any better than SNES, except better visuals, first to have voice acting, (even though its just cartoon voice acting) but back in the day that was a big deal, the LandMaster wasn't too strong, I would have liked to have a tank that is actually...a tank. the Blue marine isn't bad, I actually thought it had one of the coolest missions in the game with really awesome music, the environment is beautiful, even on the N64. music-wise, it was pretty good, but nowhere near SNES, multiplayer is sloppy but surprisingly fun, a definite N64 classic overrall. too bad nostalgia biggots worship the damn game like a religion and bash all the other ones -_-" Evolution wise, there wasn't a whole lot introduced other than the LandMaster, and onfoot, and I guess more characters. Katt Monroe isn't my favorite, that's all I gotta say. "I could kiss you for that." ....

Dinosaur Planet *wait what?* (Sabre goes in the garbage, skimp-up Krystal a bit, give her a crappy side roll and have Fox get her staff the WHOLE GAME, throw in a bleh story, make Tricky the most annoying companion ever and vwahlah) StarFox Adventures; Adventures gameplay wise, a good action adventure with STRIKING visuals, BEAUTIFUL music, and....really....really annoying voices. honestly the only two voices I actually liked were Andross (he's in this shit?!) Jamaican me crazy, Andross, but I like it better than the IT voice. and Krystal, I dunno I got a thing for british accents. yes, people bitched and moaned til the sun went down with Adventures, infact despite good ratings and sales the fan reception for Adventures was like 51% last time I checked, and is now an infamous cult classic. but probably Rare's last good game, I'm sorry, but Banjo Butts and Jolts was ok AT BEST.

StarFox Assault; although it seems to be a favorite on NGC and to a lot of people, Assault still finds itself heavily overshadowed by SF64, it isn't perfect, but it is a great, perhaps even phenominal game, beautiful space visuals, masterpiece orchestrated soundtrack, a fun multiplayer (with BS character stats but....tiers R4 queers, watch the smash kingdom movies) the now that we can finally get back to the evolution of the series, Assault had my favorite mission concept, similar to SNES 2, but obviously technologically more advanced, the on foot gameplay isn't great, rather clunky but it manages to be fun for the most part, the Arwing on-rails are ok, not all that stellar, the all-range is AMAZING, EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED, EPIC DOG FIGHTS, I CAN ACTUALLY GO UP, I CAN ACTUALLY GO UP DOWN, RIGHT AND AROUND SHIPS AND SHIT YES!!. the Ai is useless as always, allies are still always needing help, even if they are elites. (ironically....you actually have to save Falco, more than you save Krystal or Slippy COMBINED, even Slippy gets in less trouble, damn Falco stop doing what you can't do) The LandMaster is perhaps the best and most useful tank I've ever seen in a game, honestly I put that thing in Warthog from Halo level great. I love using the LandMaster in the multiplayer. Krystal is the first female in StarFox to actually have a major role, but I wish they could have done just a bit more with her, she's still shrouded in mystery, yet one of the most popular characters in the franchise. turret battles, wing riding?....I didn't like wing riding, it was a grind, even if it was cool and fun with team StarWolf, but doing it on Fichina was really unnecessary, why did Fox do it again? his Arwing wasn't destroyed like on Corneria. (the most frustrating mission in the game) I wish Assault had a strategic space overview, but its hard to see where it could be put in. the multiplayer in Assault is the best in the series, and my second favorite on GameCube, even though its hugely unbalanced, Wolf is stupidly overpowered in almost every way, Slippy has WAY too much HP for how small he is to hit, he's worse than oddjob, plus; he isn't that great of a fighter, why boost his health!? Peppy's fun to play as, one of my favorites, but he's almost completely helpless outside a vehicle with low HP and virtually no speed, Fox and Krystal are decently balanced, despite Krystal's nerfed stats, coming back with two shields is a game changer, won me numerous battles in all nighters with my friends, Falco....get in a vehicle fast, good thing you can run, he has the weakest hp in the whole game, I wish Leon and Panther could be in on it, Wolf's outnumbered, then again he could probably take on all five StarFox members no problem considering his speed, and HP, you have to run him over with the LandMaster like 3 times to kill him. Overrall; Assault is the second strongest in the series, but won't pass as a modern game, no it won't. it pisses me off to no end on how it is critisized for not being a carbon copy of 64, even if it has great reviews (by Nintendo standards) great sales (by gamecube standards) and an 84% positive fan reception, which is more than what can be said about Adventures...

AND THEN WE GOT COMMAND...seriously Nintendo!? originally it was some sort of flight resort game, but then Nintendo slapped StarFox on it (have we been here before?) I DID NOT like Command one bit, horrible music, ruined characters, but actually a pretty cool story.

Now that I've had a four page rant-worth of information to use, what should the next StarFox be like in your opinion? (given my opinion is entirely based on fact and prior experience.) personally, I'd like it to mostly resemble StarFox 2, with aspects from Assault like the LandMaster, and a COUPLE on foot missions, keep Krystal (I swear to god if she's not there...) and add some more characters as well, it wouldn't hurt to throw in Miyu and Fey, and probably add a couple new faces to team StarWolf, and some rail-shooting missions between planets and on route to battle locations. gotta have a strategic space overview where you command and place members of StarFox to engage New-Venom forces, and perhaps have an unlockable StarWolf mode where you play as StarWolf, an interesting twist.

REV UP THOSE COPYPASTES

BECAUSE I'M TOO LAZY TO WRITE ANYTHING I HAVEN'T ALREADY SAID BEFORE

The ~hip~ thing to say about Starfox is that it was better when it was in the Arwing. This is not false; Starfox's ventures into other things not Arwing pew-pew related were mediocre at best (Adventures) to totally asinine at worst (Assault).

However, like Dras and a few other of you nuggets have posted whom I don't know, the reason those games blew ass was because of poor design, not specifically taking Fox out of the cockpit, and that is correct. HOWEVER...

Starfox 64 -should- be the blueprint for the series success. And what is that blueprint? It isn't KEEP FOX IN THE ARWING 5EVER - its the game's design as a whole. CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

-Starfox 64 was diverse. The game had 15 different levels, and 10 of those levels had either: 1) Branching pathways in the level itself that allowed you to face different enemy arrangements 2) Divergent endings that took you to entirely different levels or 3) Both. There was a -lot- of cross continuity with the levels as well with Bill/Katt making cameos, and every level had a unique art direction (yes, even all the space ones).

-Starfox 64 was tightly designed. Everything had a place, a purpose, a function. There was no bloat or excess in the form of tacked on piss poor story or forced character drama (CoughCommandCough), no "side" missions that disrupt the pace of the game and distract rather than enhance (CoughSFlagsCoughCheatTokensCough). There were medals, yes, and you got medals by simply playing the game as normal; specifically doing so -well-. It rewarded replay, not guide farming. The story and dialogue was barebones, but what we got was full of character. Starwolf has collectively less than 50 lines of dialogue but they're a hella lot more memorable and loved because what we DID get was well placed and utilized.

-Starfox 64 was inviting. With 15 levels, medals, expert mode, and all the level diversity, Starfox 64 ENCOURAGED you to play the game more. Only 7 levels could be completed during any given run (and two always had to be Corneria and Venom though there was variety even there), and most levels could intersect to two other levels. The game wasn't a slog, though, you're looking at an hour on average assuming you don't get killed a lot. Trying to replay the game to discover new content or improve your old scores wasn't a chore, it didn't drag and it didn't make you question the control you have over your life. You're in, you're out, you're done, you're happy, you do it again tomorrow gladly.

-Starfox 64 was well paced. Like I just said, the game takes little over an hour once you know what you're doing. The controls are tight, responsive, and levels go by at a brisk pace, but not rushed. You never wonder WHEN DOES THIS CRAP END (except maybe Katina), and even the hiccups the game does have aren't too upsetting because everything is so -tightly- put together. Arwings are fast and smooth, lasers hit with a good omph, dogfights are exciting, and so on. There's a sense of speed and thrill that's just right.

And lastly...

-Starfox 64 was a goddamn space shooter game. Here's the deal: Starfox IS supposed to be a SPACE SHOOTER. That's its THING. Now yes, you can have diversity and try new things (SF64 had a tank and a submarine!), but what is important is that the new doesn't overshadow the -core of the game-. Assault's foot missions, poorly programmed controls aside, were loathed because they overshadowed the Arwing missions. Out of Assault's (meager) 10 levels, only four were Arwing levels: Fortuna, Meteo, Orbital Gate, and Aparoid Core. Now yes, Sargasso, Sauria and the Aparoid Surface did all have Arwing -options-, but in all 3 cases the level objectives were on foot and meant to be approached as such; and in the case of Sauria and Sargasso they were -distractions- from the mission that disrupted the flow of the levels.

And that was then; nowadays the "over the shoulder cover based 3PS" is a very generic game design that a lot have imitated, just like the GTA sandbox clones and 2D platformers of yesteryear. Putting Starfox in that bland generic mold is ungraceful. Sure, you -could- make it work, but ultimately the better choice is to focus on making a good design for what Starfox's niche is: spectacular space shooting. Yes, they are mercenaries, but they're mercenary PILOTS dammit. A few foot missions as flavor wouldn't hurt, maybe even use the Greatfox interior as an interactive level hub for the fans, but ultimately the focus SHOULD be on the STAR aspect of Starfox. Concerns of cookie-cutter cut and paste games can hardly be validated when we really haven't even broken in the MOLD since 1997.

tl;dr SF64 is a blueprint because of a lot of smart game design choices that put together an excellent shmup experience not because it IS shmup game.

My short and sweet little analysis on why SF64 is good even today, in spite of it being aged and simplistic by today's standards. Execution of concepts and all that jazz.

• Like 6

StarFox 2 although cancelled was the first to introduce all-range combat (THE BEST PART of StarFox obviously), the first to introduce land-air battle where the Arwing transforms into a mech-like walker with pew pew lasers and cannons, also introducing team StarWolf, and the ability to enter and battle within space super structures like in StarWars; a HUGE plus to the series and is the best StarFox game ever, this isn't an opinion, this is an irrifutable fact, don't agree? DEAL WITH IT, BUG NUTS.

Except that it is your opinion. You can't argue something is fact when you have little evidence to back it up. To say Star Fox 2 is the best game in the series is an overstatement. I like Star Fox 2. I think it's a pretty good game. But it's unfinished. It's way too easy even on Expert mode. Had it been actually released, it may have been a lot better but none of us will ever know. Also: "bug nuts"? ..really? ...are you fucking serious? That's the best insult you could come up with?

Miyu and Fey, being the first females in the games was also a big plus, an all male cast is unnacceptable, especially for a more serious series, given Nintendo would take StarFox seriously.

That makes 0% sense at all. How would having female pilots would make the franchise take itself more seriously? The only game in the series that goes out if it's way to try and be dark and serious is Assault, and it ended up being pretentious as fuck.

StarFox 64 was a great game, but it certainly isn't the best, in my opinion (which is a fact, so its factually not the best)

Again with this shit, you can't treat your opinions as fact because you have no evidence to back it up. Most people say SF64 is the best in the series because it did a lot of things right, as opposed to later entries which got a lot of things wrong. See Rob's wall of text if you want more details as to why.

too bad nostalgia biggots worship the damn game like a religion and bash all the other ones

I find it hilarious how you're calling people who like the SNES/N64 trilogy and bash the GC/DS games bigots, when you yourself are shoving your opinions down people's throats which you're trying to pass off as fact. It makes you look like a complete hypocrite.

Personally, I find Assault to be quite overrated. Now it may not seem that way in the gaming community, but in the Star Fox fanbase, it definitely gets a lot of praise that I feel isn't that warranted.

I did like the game when I was 10 years old, but coming back to it after a decade since it was released, I can't help but feel the game did not age well over the years. The SNES/N64 trilogy may have not aged that gracefully either (especially in the case of the SNES games), but at least I still found myself having a lot of fun despite their flaws. With Assault there are just too many things that annoy me. And keep in mind, this has nothing to do with the on-foot gameplay's presence, but rather how it and the Arwing gameplay is executed. I'd go into detail, but I don't feel like making an entire wall of text and I think Rob could explain it better than I could.

All in all, your disrespectful behavior and accusation of people who like the SNES/N64 games being biased against the GC/DS ones prevents me from taking you seriously and therefore I will not respond to your initial question about the future of the series.

• Like 3

The title of this thread has been edited to reflect its opinionated, by nature, content.

I had very little experience with SF 64, but I have played Assault enough times. While Assault was on the upper scale of meh, it was still meh. Nintendo most realized this, and then tried to emulate 64's success and design with Command. And even though I personally have not played Command, from what most of the Universe has said about the game, it was poorly executed. Therefore, I think Nintendo has learned (I hope) from its past mistakes.

The next game will most likely be a SF 64 clone, with uber emphasis on flying, considering that Arwingcopter thing.

The best thing that came out of Assault is the cult of fans who treat the game as the Mysterium Xarxes of the Star Fox franchise. The next step is honor killings.

People go for the SF64 because of the reasons Rob pointed out already. A simple and inviting space shooter in spaceships. It wasn't flashy, it wasn't art, but it was fun with friends and a enjoyable experience.

Assault was fun too with friends n' shit but it crammed too many elements and didn't focus on one element to perfect. That resulted in three "okay" playing styles compared to one "very fun" flying shooter (example: Starfox 64).

----------------------------------------------------------------

For the future I hope that it stays a shoot 'em up space rail. That is what made the franchise THE franchise. Maybe write a cool story, idk and idk. 

Also #AdventuresDreamworks

• Like 1

I like all of the games in the series, gameplay-wise, my favourite however, is Assault. I hope SF Wii U will take Assaults formula, add length, refine the edges, and maybe add a few things. Story-wise I like Assault the best to, as it was the most in-depth imo.

• Like 2

StarFox 64 was a great game, but it certainly isn't the best, in my opinion (which is a fact, so its factually not the best)

what the hell? is this a dril tweet? is dril a star fox fan now

When you have this in your post, said post loses meaning.

Normally it would be fine but that wall of text entered tl;dr category because of the above quote.

for me 64 remains the best game in the series. Adventures was fun, but didnt really fit the Star Fox universe very well, about the only thing that came out of the game is Krystal, who imo needs to be fleshed out a lot more.adding other females to the team imo will help there.Add in katt, and one of either Fara miyu or fay, or heck be able to choose the teammates you have missions with. Anything is better than the 3 same teammates each game. the villan n needs to be someone other than Andross as well, because tacking him on in SFA was ridiculous. Command doesnt count with the myriad endings .

I agree, Starfox could use more well-written female characters. However I'm not against bringing back Andross if they can make it interesting enough, but I hope we get something different than "aliens invade the Lylat system again for the evulz!"

I like all of the games in the series, gameplay-wise, my favourite however, is Assault. I hope SF Wii U will take Assaults formula, add length, refine the edges, and maybe add a few things. Story-wise I like Assault the best to, as it was the most in-depth imo.

*hyperventilates*

YES! YES! YES!

• Like 1

When you have this in your post, said post loses meaning.

Normally it would be fine but that wall of text entered tl;dr category because of the above quote.

what the hell are you even talking about? *Tries really hard to retain pity laughter* Its just goddamn sarcasm. But it doesn't make it any less true

I had very little experience with SF 64, but I have played Assault enough times. While Assault was on the upper scale of meh, it was still meh. Nintendo most realized this, and then tried to emulate 64's success and design with Command. And even though I personally have not played Command, from what most of the Universe has said about the game, it was poorly executed. Therefore, I think Nintendo has learned (I hope) from its past mistakes.

The next game will most likely be a SF 64 clone, with uber emphasis on flying, considering that Arwingcopter thing.

If it were a goddamn 64 clone, I would not even touch it, no way in goddamn hell does flying straight and shooting (not saying that's the whole game) is going to compete with games like Halo, calling Assault meh is an understatement. people always seem to forget, GODDAMN PERFECT STREAMLINE ARWING AND LANDMASTER CONTROLS.

The title of this thread has been edited to reflect its opinionated, by nature, content.

much of my information comes from reviews and fan reception surveys, how can I be sold out?

Except that it is your opinion. You can't argue something is fact when you have little evidence to back it up. To say Star Fox 2 is the best game in the series is an overstatement. I like Star Fox 2. I think it's a pretty good game. But it's unfinished. It's way too easy even on Expert mode. Had it been actually released, it may have been a lot better but none of us will ever know. Also: "bug nuts"? ..really? ...are you fucking serious? That's the best insult you could come up with?

That makes 0% sense at all. How would having female pilots would make the franchise take itself more seriously? The only game in the series that goes out if it's way to try and be dark and serious is Assault, and it ended up being pretentious as fuck.

Again with this shit, you can't treat your opinions as fact because you have no evidence to back it up. Most people say SF64 is the best in the series because it did a lot of things right, as opposed to later entries which got a lot of things wrong. See Rob's wall of text if you want more details as to why.

I find it hilarious how you're calling people who like the SNES/N64 trilogy and bash the GC/DS games bigots, when you yourself are shoving your opinions down people's throats which you're trying to pass off as fact. It makes you look like a complete hypocrite.

Personally, I find Assault to be quite overrated. Now it may not seem that way in the gaming community, but in the Star Fox fanbase, it definitely gets a lot of praise that I feel isn't that warranted.

I did like the game when I was 10 years old, but coming back to it after a decade since it was released, I can't help but feel the game did not age well over the years. The SNES/N64 trilogy may have not aged that gracefully either (especially in the case of the SNES games), but at least I still found myself having a lot of fun despite their flaws. With Assault there are just too many things that annoy me. And keep in mind, this has nothing to do with the on-foot gameplay's presence, but rather how it and the Arwing gameplay is executed. I'd go into detail, but I don't feel like making an entire wall of text and I think Rob could explain it better than I could.

All in all, your disrespectful behavior and accusation of people who like the SNES/N64 games being biased against the GC/DS ones prevents me from taking you seriously and therefore I will not respond to your initial question about the future of the series.

Hold on; you are trying to tell me that having mixed genders in a cast wouldn't help in the political eye and add a little diversity? I don't get that with NIntendo fans, too much predictable uniformity. how was Assault pretentious? it was about as corny and shonen anime-like as the rest of the StarFox series, what difference does it make!?

Assault definitely isn't overrated; its loved but not overrated, SF64 is overrated, when many people only ever praise that game like its the idol that promises them immortality than that is the bane of my existence. these days I find it hard to call myself a StarFox fan anymore, when I even think about the games all I can think about is the bigotry I'm forced to choke down every day.

Speaking of choking something down, not long ago Robert Monroe tried to force his "Justified" opinion down my throat; telling me that if I didn't admit "Assault was bad" that I was an idiot. I am yet to take his arguments seriously, but he is yet to convince me he isn't biggoted of SF64, and then he tries to claim I hate 64, and since when do I hate SNES fans? I really liked SF SNES, its a good arcade style game. I really like 64, but it leaves an infamous scar for obvious reasons, did it get a lot right? more or less, did it get a lot wrong? same to be said. but it doesn't pass as a modern game, that's just the way it is.

I guess it makes sense putting SNES and 64 in the same group, but how the fuck are Assault and Adventures in the same group!? they're VERY different games, and while I like Adventures overrall, it pisses me off more than it brings me any "joy." yes. I'm not disprespectful, I just don't hold back in the slightest on speaking my mind, you got a problem with it you can bitch me out all you want, I really don't care.

how can one imply that I like any StarFox fans more than 64 fans? I hate almost all of them; I hate almost every human in existence besides my inner circle which is like...twenty at absolute best.

how can one imply that I like any StarFox fans more than 64 fans? I hate almost all of them; I hate almost every human in existence besides my inner circle which is like...twenty at absolute best.

10 fingers + 10 toes = 20 so yes that sounds about right for the number of appendages that can tolerate your presence

Speaking of choking something down, not long ago Robert Monroe tried to force his "Justified" opinion down my throat

you are literally some weirdo that stalked rob over here for the sake of sending him harassing pms over his video game opinions, stop trying to justify your creepy ass by squawking about how it's okay because your video game opinions are somehow objectively better

like people are actually making an effort to be nice and engage you in actual conversation here but that clearly isn't what you want, you want someone to agree with your "objective opinion" (seriously what the fuck) so you can wave your e-peen at rob some more

over video games

go to bed

these days I find it hard to call myself a StarFox fan anymore, when I even think about the games all I can think about is the bigotry I'm forced to choke down every day.

i need this tattooed to my ass

the G in LGBT stands for "gamecube-era star fox fans"

• Like 2

If Starfox 64 doesn't pass for a modern game (which it isn't it is a late 90s game) how the hell does Assault do any better? Assault had less content than SF64 in every regard except a rather superfluous multiplayer mode; this isn't even being opinionated, its fact. Assault had 10 levels to 64's 15, no branching paths, poorer level design, poorer control responsiveness, the list goes on. Assault is more outdated than SF64 is and it came out 8 years later :V

• Like 1

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa. Whoa. Say what you will about Assault but its multiplayer was a fucking unpolished gem that, as is, was and still can be a fucking party god nearly on the same level of giddy joy bringing as Smash. I would be 110% ok with the new Star Fox having a polished version of Assault's multiplayer with online capabilities.

Oh, I am just waiting for a moderator to lock this post to prevent a flame war.

• Like 1

If it were a goddamn 64 clone, I would not even touch it, no way in goddamn hell does flying straight and shooting (not saying that's the whole game) is going to compete with games like Halo, calling Assault meh is an understatement. people always seem to forget, GODDAMN PERFECT STREAMLINE ARWING AND LANDMASTER CONTROLS.

http://conflictingviews.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/drombles-star-fox-article/

Read this.

http://first-world-problems.com/

This thread in a nutshell:

Seriously, people, let's share our opinions without being assholes about it. I'm about to lock this thread otherwise.

• Like 1

So I guess you hate railshooters. Makes sense. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

But to call it fact, once again, is just plain dumb. I know this is gonna lead to a shitstorm so,

OK, people, let's share our opinions without being assholes about it. I'm about to lock this thread otherwise.

just lock it now. Judging from what I've seen, it'll get worse.

I mean, one of his first act on this board is to attack Rob on his profile feed. I know that my first act was to cry about 64 3D ruining my childhood with upgraded graphics but that was only as a joke.

Yeah, on second though I probably should lock this.

Also, Rob and Gore, don't let your personal feud spill into public anymore than it already has.