The Next Star Fox Game: Speculation and Ideas III

DZComposer

lol Imagine those type of people buying a star fox game instead of some erotic magazine. And then they wait for some exiting moment with Krystal. looooooool

Well, honestly I doubt all her fans are like that. I was just making a little joke, since there are quite a few fans around here ;)

lol Imagine those type of people buying a star fox game instead of some erotic magazine. And then they wait for some exiting moment with Krystal. looooooool

I guess this would be a bad time to start flying the Krystal fanclub banner lol

*tucks the flag away and rushes off with shifty eyes*

I guess this would be a bad time to start flying the Krystal fanclub banner lol

*tucks the flag away and rushes off with shifty eyes*

lol I don't mind her in the games. I like it. It's something new. The first starfox game was all males lol.

all the SF games I have played included Krystal in them.Without her it would be ... Weird.

One of the most important things is getting the controls right. Even an otherwise ok Star Fox game like Assault was hurt by poor controls. SF64's where nearly perfect. They need to make sure they keep the controls tight and effective.

One of the most important things is getting the controls right. Even an otherwise ok Star Fox game like Assault was hurt by poor controls. SF64's where nearly perfect. They need to make sure they keep the controls tight and effective.

I was actually thinking that myself.

The other idea, which I've had for a while, but I didn't really feel like spilling it until I played the game:

After playing through Star Fox 64 3D a couple times, I liked how the controls were responsive, but the button placements weren't so nice, but they do give you the N64-style controls, but I still find those annoying (I use that). I really liked the 3D effect on that game, but I haven't played any other 3DS games to compare to yet, but I really hope it will look as awesome as it did.

About the controls though, I think that especially for the 3DS, you should be able to customize your controls. That way, the button placements work to what you want.

I'd like to see something like adventure, but with a lot more air battles. Sorta like Assault in a way, but not as meh

Yeah I loved adventures. Assault is pretty good too. I love the multilpayer on Assault. They only need to tweak a bit on the on foot missions and it would be good.

I just noticed. Every Nintendo console since the SNES (exept Gameboy advance and the Wii) has at least one star fox game. The SNES has one, N64 too, Gamecube has two, the DS has one and the 3DS kinda too. The 2 gamecube games make up for skipping a game on the Wii lol.

I just noticed. Every Nintendo console since the SNES (exept Gameboy advance and the Wii) has at least one star fox game. The SNES has one, N64 too, Gamecube has two, the DS has one and the 3DS kinda too. The 2 gamecube games make up for skipping a game on the Wii lol.

Remakes don't count buddy. (You also forgot the original Gameboy, and Gameboy colour).

• 3 weeks later...

I had quite a few ideas for the series, so I made a video of all of it.

The Tl;DW

-Improve multiplayer with stuff like wifi, a sharpened version of Starfox Asssault's multiplayer, etc.

-Make a strategy shooter where you command army forces while fighting at the same time, bringing together the fast paced battle style of a shooter like Assault, but the strategic element of Starfox Command. I think the sending forces out to do stuff was a nice idea, but wasn't executed that well in command and made it turn out repetitive and slow paced.

-Develop more of the characters and explain a bit more of their history. Things like how the second Starfox team (Fox, peppy, falco, slippy) was formed in 64 beyond the small briefing they were given.

-A bit more history behind Fox's training days, and a bit more on James' history, though developed through other characters.

-Giving more insight on the Starfox/Starwolf Rivalry

-Stop aging the characters.

-Give stats to all the characters for basic things like Speed, health, jumping, arwing skill, etc. You have a co-op mode in the story, or you can switch between them in single player like in Sly cooper.

-Bring in the Blue Marine.

-Bring back multiple ways to complete a mission, though not a split planet style like 64.

-Allow the character to earn money for missions, and use the money to purchase more army members, Machine and Great Fox upgrades,powerups for teammates, (which can only be learned by certain characters based on their machine skills. For instance, Falco could learn more moves in the Arwing than Slippy could because he has more Arwing Skill)

-Bring in on Rails mission gameplay in addition to this, so that the mixed and ground missions don't overpower the game.

-Improve ground combat from Assault, making a mix between like a First Person shooter, a fighting game, and possibly include powerup moves like Thiefnet from Sly cooper, or the sexy looking finisher moves from Metroid Other M. (I know, not the best game to draw ideas from, but I'm referring to just the cool looking finisher moves.)

-Rather than reviving Andross yet again, or making Dash A Villain, we bring in the destroyers of Cerenia that Krystal knows about, so we get a new, solid villian, fill in a plot hole, and give Krystal the perfect opportunity to redeem herself and develop on her own without Fox all at once.

-AFter beating the game, you can play it again from the viewpoint of Star wolf, giving a "second story" style, and you get information that you couldn't have gotten from Starfox, so it ends up like the POV style plot writing in Sonic Adventure.

There's some other stuff too, so check the video out if you've got the time.

Star Fox is not an RTS. I don't want to command multiple units. Though, it would be nice to actually feel like the squadron leader and be able to issue some basic orders to your wingmen (attack my target, defend my target, cover me, form-up, cease-fire, engage at will, etc.)

that's more or less how space sim games like TIE Fighter worked; you cycle through targets and can give wingmen basic commands in relation to either the targets you selected or yourself

but those games are basically in permanent all-range mode so i don't know how well that would work in Star Fox

Yeah I was a bit thrown off by the RTS and strategy elements of the game that was proposed. The last two Star Fox games have already suffered from less than stellar controls, now we want to throw in some extra buttons or gestures to indicate what we want other forces to do? The rest of the ideas sounded like they made a ton of sense though. I get the feeling that the guy in the video was trying to come up with a sort of "healing" phase for Star Fox to tie loose ends up, give structure and story-lines to characters, remove unneeded drama, etc. I am especially a fan of trying to bring up something about who or what destroyed Cerinia. Great way to separate Fox and Krystal either as a conclusion of one of Command's endings, or to ignore Command and just move on from Assault (though I feel like Command brings some things to the table worth considering). I also liked the idea of doing interactive flashbacks to experience James McCloud and the original Star Fox on top of developing the characters and stories of everyone. I worry a bit about doing an RPG sort of deal in the game not built strictly on an 'adventure' platform, as short linear gameplay like Assault would make it just a clunky and broken element of the game - even though we are able to upgrade ships, there still needs to be challenges. Exposing weaknesses to the hero as they gain upgrades might fix this just to tailor gameplay to your specific style. Same as finding ship upgrades.

I am not absolutely sure if the video was attempting to suggest this, but I had an idea a while ago to fuse the core of Assault and SF64/Command's gameplay. Allow divergent paths like what exists in SF64 and Command so that you can experience different planets, battlefields, players, etc. The example I made was at the beginning of a level you are given a choice of how to tackle the level. You could play as Falco and take to the skies, Slippy in a Landmaster/Blue Marine, Krystal as....uh...away from Fox..., or Fox on-foot. Depending on your actions (much like in SF64) and who you play as in missions (like Command) it will determine where you end up in the next level. Eventually (and hopefully after many levels!) all of the paths converge to a final conclusion which differs only slightly in its difficulty or setting depending on what you do. This will harness the ability for replay to occur as there are many options on how to advance through the game, moreso than Command, it opens up the ability to play the game the way you would like (I personally like on-foot adventure games, someone else wants a space shooter, do whatever!), and you can go ahead and do your RPG flavored upgrades as it takes a while to get through the whole game just through one path. Heck, this also opens the character roster up for temporary players to pop in on some levels like Katt, Bill, Dash, Miyu, Fay, Fara, whoever you want...or maybe have them as unlockable characters.

Thanks for taking a look, though I will clarify a few things for you:

I understand that the RTS element thing would've been a bit crazy, though I'm not suggesting making it an overwhelming element in the game. It would just be to the extent that can give generic roles to the pilots. That way they aren't just floating around in space without shooting anything. I also wouldn't think they would dominate the game. It was an idea only for a couple of stages, similar to the ground/arwing/landmaster missions in Assault; the space flying and rails shooting would be the dominate element. I also knew how convuluted it would get with all the extra stuff, which is why I suggested just having a couple of buttons on the touch screen to perform said commands. Want to have them all defend something? Press the defend button. It wouldn't be like command where you have to draw individual paths for them. My issue with command's strategy system was that it was separated with the actual fighting, turning the game into a strange turned based shooter style, so this way would be to bring the two together more. I thought it would work nicely with the might gauge from Assault to give you kind of a warning of enemy strength. I used the Civlization example just to evoke the idea of commanding the forces, but it wasn't going to be that intricate for the game. This was really the hardest part to also give visuals for, too. I knew that one would not have been well recieved, but I still think it would be cool.

"I am not absolutely sure if the video was attempting to suggest this, but I had an idea a while ago to fuse the core of Assault and SF64/Command's gameplay."

Very much what it was suggesting. The idea was to bring in multiple sub-missions within a level, kind of like the Sly cooper games with jobs, and have the teams just do them, but you can complete them in multiple ways, influencing routes. That way you get the varied style of 64 without things being too fluid, but you also get the style from assault without it being too structured.

Hope that cleared up a few things. I'm not a fantastic writer, so I apologize for those misconceptions there.

Oh yeah, and nice to meet you and all.

Oh yeah, and nice to meet you and all.

I was actually kind of hoping you would get to making a thread in the Welcome Wagon (http://starfox-online.net/forum/33-welcome-wagon-and-time-clock/) so I could over-excitedly welcome you to the website...but I guess I can do it here too.

Welcome to Star Fox Online! Stick around a while! :friends:

Star Fox is not an RTS. I don't want to command multiple units. Though, it would be nice to actually feel like the squadron leader and be able to issue some basic orders to your wingmen (attack my target, defend my target, cover me, form-up, cease-fire, engage at will, etc.)

RTS would get the same complaints Command had. This is why I'm sometimes happy SF2 was not released.

Wasn't the RTS idea one of the, like, two things in Command that people didn't write off as Completely Terrible?

Anyway here's things that I want in NEW STARFAC:

-First and foremost, an emphasis that Star Fox are mercenaries. Who "do things their own way". Aesthetics and plot structure should reflect this. This also includes the addition of a:

-More diverse mission system where you can select essential and non-essential missions from the home base of the Great Fox.

-Balance rails and all-range stages spanning over Arwing, Landmaster, and foot stages

-Make the on-foot stages not terrible by, y'know, having a physics system, and a range of distinct objectives, like finding a bomb, infiltrating a base, etc. No more "SHOOT THE HATCHERS!!!!" crap.

-Free-roam segments where you can interact with NPCs, get new missions, buy upgrades, and explore the details of Lylat.

-Introduce a team command system. Could be integrated with the WiiU tablet thing, but have the option to call on a team member at certain points. Asteroid up ahead? Get Falco to help you blast it. Need advice? Peppy's there! Call up Slippy if you want to see tips and healthbars for specific enemies.

-An RPG-esque system where you can take cash earned from side missions to upgrade you and your teammate's ships, weapons, and armour. eg. Increasing bomb capacity, an upgrade so that barrel rolling against an enemy causes damage, hyper lasers, longer hover speed for the Landmaster, etc.

-Another RPG-ish idea where you can swap out team members for certain stages.

-This is made more interesting by allowing the characters to gain experience, which can unlock different skillsets. For instance, Slippy can learn to fix the ships of fallen teammates in half the time. Falco's targeting success rate can improve. So on and so forth.

-Also plot and characterization that isn't terrible.

• Like 2

RTS would get the same complaints Command had. This is why I'm sometimes happy SF2 was not released.

I think if styled a bit differently, it would work out much better. Both of those made it turn-based in that you select a path, you go there, Then you fight. Rinse and repeat until you beat the game. That can definitely get repetitive, which was one of the largest criticisms of Starfox Command.

Where I think it should change would be to merge it in and have the basic stuff during the fight. For instance, imagine you are in the middle of the Aparoid City mission from Assault. If you'll recall, you've got Falco and slippy fighting off the sky enemies alongside the cornerian army, while Fox and Krystal are on the surface. The idea would be that you display a map on the nintablet and you use the basic roles suggested (buttons on the side the same way Drasiana suggested for the teammate contact) and have those there to protect the enemies. If you wanted, you could also do it manually, but that's just there to simplify things, while the main buttons are there for controlling yourself.

It would eliminate the slow pacing that command had in the turn style, and it would also eliminate sroberson's earlier reservation he brought up about it having bad controls. I think for any of the games, using this kind of technology, the buttons would work best for the things you need to be more accurate with, while the touch screen tech should be saved for simple stuff that you need quick access to. It's the difference between selecting your Bow and Arrow and actually shooting it. Throw in a might gauge to show enemy strength, and you've got the fullest extent of the RTS I'd like to see. It's not supposed to overwhelm the level, just supplement it the way the might gauge did in Sargasso/Sauria. All of it would be happening while you're fighting.

Obvioulsy this would not be implemented all that well in a rails mission, so it would be saved for ground missions and all range combat.

• 4 weeks later...

Something open-worldy would be great.Something in the syle of the Zelda games.

Something open-worldy would be great.Something in the syle of the Zelda games.

Ditto. You would yet again get the complaints that Star Fox is not Star Fox.

They really need to stick to something simple, and true to Star Fox. An engine like Assault, seems to be the best answer. Remember too that Assault was probably the closest anyone has gotten to trying to rebuild the awesome the series had in its infancy. I also want to see a new game really push the Wii U or 3DS to its limits. The 3DS has been out for a little over a year, and has so much potential that hasn't really been worked with yet. Remakes don't count, although Star Fox 64 3D was a decent demonstration that revamping something can also push the graphical looks of its new console.

If Retro makes it:

1. Superior to SF64

2. Fun multiplayer

3. Wii U gameplay wise

If Q-game makes it:

1.Similar to SNES SF 1, SF2, & SFC

2. Decent stoty and ending

3. No multiplayer or boring online multiplayer

If Nintendo makes it:

1.Won't fell like you paid 59.99

2.Cliff-hanger (if part of SFC)/ SF64 type ending (If rebooted)

3.Wii U & 3DS Gameplay wise

Which company do you guys chose???

Something tells me Nintendo, but Retro seems to be the better choice. I haven't lost my respect for Q-Games, as I don't think Command should be the reason we all hate them, or the glitches in Star Fox 64 3D. I think Nintendo should step up to the problem of Star Fox being tossed around to different developers and take it on themselves, but I'd also hate to see it go down the same road as a lot of the Nintendo franchises did with the Wii. I would like Retro to do it if they will do the Star Fox games hereafter, as the series needs consistency. Q-Games may be an option if they choose to do another 3DS game as they carried out many of the 3DS features such as the revamped graphics and 3D effect quite well.

Ahhh...glad to see this page didn't die. I like to see the head canons/ideas.

Ya know I would have thought a more adventure based game for the entire galaxy would be strange, until I played some of SF2 and realized it had the perfect set up for it.

I feel a bit nervous about Retro touching it since all I know of them is Metroid - and though I recognize the franchise as good games overall, its just not Star Fox. My hope leans more on Nintendo if only they could spend quality time developing it like they do Legend of Zelda (No, not Mario, because I basically consider Mario games to be shovelware now with "Mario and Sonic Blow Raspberries 2008/2009/2010/2011/2012" among other atrocities). I don't think Q-Games should touch Star Fox again if they don't plan on bringing back the traditional shooter elements. They may be a fine company, but its just not meant to be I think, especially if I am assuming correctly and they would only develop for the DS.