Rio - Avian Exursion

Clearwater

What, you're suprised? Well, I did tell you to hinge onto two things in the first episode of my 'Feathered Fables' trilogy. And I here I am, Clearwater, beginning work on the second episode, entitled 'Avian Excursion'. If the first episode - 'The Carnival' - took place a year between both films, then 'Avian Excursion' takes us aound year after the events of Rio 2, as Blu, Jewel, Raphael and the gang prepare for their annual holiday back to Rio De Janeiro. Blu is nervous, mainly because he knows his nemesis was taken back there, but little do they know that there's going to be old faces they knew returning to Rio as well...

Again, this fan-fic goes out to the party freaks of SF-O. Now let's cut the chit-chat and get on with it.

Rio
                               Avian Excursion

Sao Paulo, December the 31st

New Year's Eve was only a few minutes away from turning into New Year's Day. Everyone - birds and humans - had gathered in the streets, in Mercado Municipal, Ibirapuera Park, Praça Da Sé, practically everywhere, partying in the streets and counting down the last few hundred of seconds to go until the new year. Ibirapuera was chock-full with birds, chattering away, impatient for another year to begin.
A male red-winged macaw walked through the streets, heading back to where he lived. Everywhere he looked, he could see festivities and celebrations. This made him happy. But so much as he wanted to stop, he had promised to celebrate back home with the others. So he continued to walk. Turning a corner, under the black, pre-midnight air, he could see his home of Ibirapuera Park. Smiling, he broke into a run, jumped, spread his wings and flew the rest of the short distance to his home tree. He could see every bird gathered around the lake.
''Hey, I'm home!'' He chirped, landing on the branches of a tree and going into the small carved-out hole. Inside were three other red-winged macaws, just like him. The tallest and oldest looked every bit like the male, but the lighter-colored plumage could make it easy to tell it was female. The other two macaws were only hatchlings. One male, one female.
''Welcome home.'' The older female said, walking over and kissing the male. ''So what did you see?''
''Just as we thought. Everywhere, it's packed. Both with humans and birds.'' The male paused. ''Hope Sonny doesn't get in a tight squeeze. So how're the kids?''
''Pablo's been jumpy all night. He's really excited. Flora's looking forward to it as well.''
The father macaw chuckled and walked over to his children.
''Hey kids.''
''Hi, Dad!'' Pablo said happily. ''Only a few more minutes! Can you believe it?''
''I definitely can't, son.'' His father replied. ''Come on, let's go outside.''
The family headed down to the grassy terrain of the park, heading for the lake. The father wrapped his right wing in the mother's left, and they walked, both of them in love.
''Hey, sis!'' A female cried out, running towards them. ''Over here!''
''Oh, Alice!'' The mother shouted back, breaking off from the male and running forward, catching her sister in an embrace. ''Good to see you!''
''Same to you, Clearwater. How are you?''
''Really well, thanks for asking. Ara's been good as well.''
Alice looked over at the father, who grinned and nodded.
''Have you seen Sonny or Emmanuel?''
''I know they're coming, but they haven't arrived yet. They'd better hurry though, New Year is only three minutes from now. Come on, let's go get in the crowd and wait for them.''
The macaws followed Alice to the lake and waited on the edge of the crowd. As time ticked by, Pablo counted every second until the fireworks would be let loose. He really was impatient.
''Heard you guys were waiting for me.'' A deep male voice said from somewhere in the crowd.
''Huh? Manu?''
Alice began to weave through the singing crowd, trying to find the bird whom which voice it belonged to.
''Behind you.'' It said again. Alice turned around to be met with a Hyancith Macaw, much taller than Alice. She smiled.
''Hey, you made it!''
''I sure did. How are you all?''
''Really impatient, that's for sure. You haven't seen Sonny?''
Manu shook his head.
''Hey, I'm over here!'' Sonny's voice called out. Alice craned her head up to see a flamingo waving to them on the other side of the crowd.
''He's over there.''
The birds squeezed back through the crowd to reach Sonny - Alice's and Clearwater's godfather, who took care of Alice ever since her and Clear's parents were killed.
''About time you turned up! I thought you weren't going to make it.''
''You know me.'' Sonny chuckled. ''Hey, hey, listen to that!''
Everyone across the lake were counting down the final minute together. Ara, Clearwater, Pablo, Flora, Manu, Alice and Sonny joined in together. As he counted, Ara thought of his old home that was Rio De Janeiro, and his old life. He had never thought of ever becoming a parent. He never hoped for anything major to happen in his life. Just being with friends was all he wanted. When Clearwater walked into his life, the two of them became friends. As so much everyone said they make a happy couple, Ara insisted they remain on being friends. But after their adventure quite a while ago, Clear had became much more than a friend for Ara, and vice versa. 9 months ago, he had been swept into an adventure with some of his old friends over there as they came to Clear's old home of Sao Paulo to seek Manu right here, trying to hide a fugitive they forgave. But they had no idea what was in store for them when they came back to Rio. After what happened, he bid his friends in Rio farewell and moved to Sao with his love Clearwater, her sister Alice, and their friends Manu and Sonny. Ara and Clear were now parents, living with two hatchlings in a tree in Ibirapuera Park. Ara was so happy right now. They told their children of how they met, what happened in their adventure, while speaking of a magical and unforgettable place called Rio De Janeiro, 300 kilometres to the east. Pablo was fascinated.
He wanted to know more and more.
''You will.'' Ara told him.
''Dad, can I ask you a question?''
''Sure, go on.''
As the countdown reached the final 10 seconds, Pablo asked his question:
''Will we and you ever go to Rio? Again?''
''HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!'' The crowd yelled in unison, as the fireworks lit up the night sky in a display of blue, green, red and yellow.
Ara chuckled and held his son tight as they watched the show.
''One day. Maybe one day, we will. But for now, I'd say this year's off to a great start. Let's enjoy what's happening right now.''
So they did. All around them, there was party, celebrations and happiness. Ara took that for granted. This was the life, he had to admit.

The Amazon Rainforest, November the 30th - 11 months later

This was no dream. This was real. It had to be.
The orange sun beat down on the lush green foliage and the emerald water, forming a breathtaking crimson sunset. The macaw flapped along as fast as he could, diving through the air. Up, down, up, down he went, getting into a steady rythmn to the beat of the drums and music that was playing everywhere, as voices belonging to unseen birds began to sing:

Let's come together
And sing along with me
We are so different
But at the same, we share our hearts
Beautiful flora
As far as the eye can see
Open your wings, and fly
When you hear the call

The same macaw from earlier was now gliding parallel to the surface of the river, and as he flew, plunged his talons into the water and groaned in satisfaction, the cold water cooling him off. This place was a true paradise. Everywhere he saw was shining with life. This was home.

Let's celebrate
Calling the beautiful creatures
Come spread your wings
And let's sing songs about freedom
Like la-la-la-ooh-oohh
One for the jungle familiar
Like pa-pa-pa-poo-ooh
Calling the beautiful creatures

''Oh, Blu...''
A female voice was calling out to him, echoing in his mind. The more he heard it, the more he wanted to stay aloft, free in the air.
''Blu... Wakey-wakey...''

''Are you gonna get up or what, Blu?''
The macaw slowly opened his eyelids, feeling something nudge him awake. Letting his eyes adjust to the light, he soon saw his mate shaking him awake.
''You and your dreams,'' She chuckled. The male macaw chuckled back.
''Morning, Jewel.''
''Good morning, Blu.'' The two of them kissed. ''You sleep well?''
''For the most part. If I had five more minutes, I would've been really raring to go.'' Blu said, yawning again. ''Why'd you wake me?''
''Ah yes.'' Jewel paused. ''Remember what day it is today?''
''Er... Erm....'' Blu stuttered, trying to think and strain the fatigue out of his wings and muscles at the same time. ''November the 30th, right?''
''Yep.'' Jewel nodded. ''Anything in particular that we wanted to do on this day...?''
Blu paused to think again. Anything to do...?
He exclaimed.
''We gotta get ready for our summer trip to Rio, right?''
''Right. I would have asked dad and aunt Mimi if they wanted to come, but I've been so busy over the past couple of days, I just haven't had the time to ask.''
Blu sighed dreamingly. Rio De Janeiro. The place where everything began.
18 years ago, Tyler Blu Gunderson - or simply Blu, as he was better known - tumbled out of a small truck in the small town of Moose Lake, Minnesota. A young human girl by the name of Linda Gunderson find him and took him into her care. For 15 years, they lived together, bird and human, leading a quiet life. But Blu was completely oblivious to one fact that would set everything off: He was the last known male Blue Spix Macaw alive on this planet.
Or so he thought.
15 years later, the two of them recieved a surprise visit from a Tulio Monteiro: A Brazilian working at the aviary in Rio who broke the news to Linda and Blu that a living Blue Spix Macaw had been found, and Linda and Blu were invited to Rio to save Blu's kind from extinction. They accepted - But none of them knew what happen.
Once there, Blu met Jewel, a free-spirited macaw who was focused on escaping the aviary where the humans were keeping her
and getting back to a wild life. Over the next one and a half days, Blu and Jewel went on an adventure which would net them some friends, escape the smugglers soughting to sell them on the black market, and take down Nigel - a white cockatoo who was feared all over the city who was also working with the smugglers. Blu also find the ability to fly - something his domesticated life prevented him from learning - and he and Jewel were praised as heroes after bringing joy back to the city.
A year later, Blu and Jewel had settled into family life in the small reserve park owned by the avairy with their three kids. Depite the reputation they had earned, Blu had announced that he didn't want to live as a hero, but rather one of the last Blue Spix Macaws out there. But when old faces returned to Rio, he, Jewel and their friends had to step in again when another adventure awaited them, this time leading them 300 kilometres west to the city of Sao Paulo. By the time they got back, a bird they knew seemingly betrayed them. They managed to worm their way out though, with Blu having no choice but to choose a direct confrontation, and were forced to let their enemy escape. The family of macaws and the birds of Rio De Janeiro returned to a normal life.
But that wasn't the last time Blu had found himself on an adventure. Earlier this year, nine months ago, Linda and Tulio made an amazing discovery: What appeared to be living Blue Spix Macaws hiding in the Amazon rainforest. They were all wrong about Blu, Jewel and their kids being the last of their kind. Intrigued, Blu and Jewel took their kids and their friends on a trip to the wild side to try and find them.
And here they were, now living in the Amazon in a protected reserve park, amongst hundreds of other Blue Spix Macaws and other animals
and birds living in the jungle. Blu admitted that while this place was their true home, a part of him missed the party atmosphere that belonged to that place...
''Maybe we can do summers in Rio.'' Jewel had promised him.
''You're my one and only, Jewel.'' Blu had promised back.

''Tell you what, Jewel: I'll go track 'em down and ask them for you.''
''You'd do that?'' Jewel asked. ''Aw, thanks, sweetheart.'' She said, nuzzling her head into Blu's chest.
''And I'll ask Roberto for you as well. I know how you like him.''
''Hello?'' A voice beckoned from outside. ''Are any of you up?''
''Ah. That's Raphael.'' Jewel said, taking her head off of Blu's chest. Blu turned around and went out of the treehole they were living in - the one Roberto had offered to them as a welcoming gift.
''Hey, in here!'' Blu called to the voice. A few seconds later, a Toco Toucan appeared.
''Hey Blu!''
''Morning, Rapphie!'' Blu greeted, shaking wings with the toucan. This was Raphael - or Rapphie as he was otherwise known. He was a good friend of Blu and Jewel's, but he mostly hung out with his best buddys Nico and Pedro most of the time. When Blu and Jewel were planning to head to the Amazon, he, Nico and Pedro's luck was running dry when it came to finding acts and talents for their annual Carnival show.
Failing that, they decided to head with Blu and Jewel to look elsewhere in the Amazon - and they hit the jackpot.
''No Nico or Pedro?'' Blu asked, noticing that the yellow Canary and red-crested Cardinal wasn't with Raphael.
''Nah, they're busy rehearsing. They plan on throwing a party when we get to Rio. Um, you don't mind, do you...?''
''Not at all.'' Blu smiled. ''I'm going to see who else wants to come.''
''Sweet!'' Raphael exclaimed. ''I gotta get back home before Eva realizes I woke up before she did. Do me a favor: If she did get up, you never saw me here, 'K?''
''Er... Okay.'' Blu said, a little confused. Rapphie turned around and spread his wings.
''Catch you later, amigo!''
And with that, Raphael flew off. Blu turned around and looked at Jewel.
''...What?'' Jewel said, trying to keep a straight face. ''You'd think I'd scold you if you didn't get out of bed on a morning like this?''
''Maybe.'' Blu sniggered. ''Right, I'm off.''
Jewel quickly kissed Blu a last time.
''See you later, honey.''
Blu flew off into the Amazon.

It was just another day in Sao Paulo. Humans heading to work, cars around the streets, and the birds going about their lives, waiting for when the sky turned black and the town was theirs. In the meantime though, the birds could still go around the town undisturbed by the humans.
Ara walked down the usual route he took to Mercado Municipal, the old marketplace in Sao. Turning a corner, he found himself facing it.
When the hours were late, and everyone had gone to bed, all of the birds would converge here and be part of a weekly party run by Sonny.
During the daytime, while not as busy, there were still a few birds who would come here and chill out a little, sharing their world with the humans without the smallest complaint in any way.
Ara maneouvered around the small crowd of humans and birds and made his way to the tent, pulling a corner of the velvet cover back and going on. The place was more or less empty, safe for a flamingo and a Hyacanith Macaw who were talking up on the stage.
''Hey, I'm here!'' Ara called up to them. The flamingo - Sonny - turned and saw them.
''Oh, hey Ara!''
Ara flew up to where they were.
''Good to see ya, guys.''
''Same here.''
''About time.'' Manu replied with a hint of amusement in his voice.
''Oh, c'mon Manu, a bird can take his time, can't he?'' Ara turned back to Sonny. ''So what's up?''
''Well, we wanted to tell you: Me and the boys who run the club want to see if we can perhaps do a little tour somewhere. And the first location that popped into our mind... I think you can guess.''
Ara jumped.
''I hope you're joking. Rio De Janeiro?!''
''None other.''
Ara raised his wings to his head and gave a huge smile.
''Oh, man oh man...''
''But not just yet of course. We need to get ready and all of that, and see who else wants to come.''
''Well, I'm better Clearwater'd come. Knowing her.'' Manu said. ''Oh, and her sister.''
''With us, that'll be five... What about your kids? Pablo and Flora?''
''Pablo wants to see Rio above anything else.'' Ara explained. ''I keep telling him about that place; I want to show him it before he starts thinking
I'm making the whole thing up.''
''You are telling the truth though. That place really does exist. And there's... another reason I want to go there as well.''
''What's that?'' Ara asked. When he did though, he felt like he regretted it when Sonny and Manu both did a double take.
''Did you even hear the news at all?''
''What news?''
Sonny and Manu then gasped.
''Are you being serious?!'' Sonny said, shocked.
''Why? Did I miss something important?''
''You're pulling our legs, right?''
Ara shook his head and exclaimed.
''I'm being honest! I swear, I don't know what news you're talking about.''
Sonny looked at Manu.
''Tell him then.''
Manu sighed and took a step towards Ara.
''They're not the only ones.''
''Who aren't the only ones?''
Manu leant to Ara's ear and whispered a few words.

''Hello? Anyone?''
Blu landed on the ground and began to look around the clearing. Normally, this place always had a few birds passing through here, but it was
as quiet as anything today, which was unusual...
''Anyone here?'' Blu called out. ''Kids? ...Roberto? ...Eduardo?''
Blu walked down the dirt path, listening intently for anything that gave away someone's presence. The only thing he could hear was the chirping
of bugs and insects. Blu shivered. If there's one thing he hated outright, it was insects and creepy-crawlies. This was partly due to the fact that
he wasn't raised in his natural habitat, like any Blue Spix Macaw. When he came to Rio, he once witnessed a spider crawl right up his back.
Never again, Blu thought, suddenly turning a hundred and eighty degrees to make sure there wasn't anything planning on ambushing him. There seemed to be nothing. Blu sighed and turned back around.
''Is there really no one around?'' Blu thought out loud. ''Hey! Anyo--''
Blu was cut short when he unknowingly stepped on the snare for a vine trap, and was suddenly jerked up into the air; hanging by his talons.
Within a split-second, his instincts kicked in and the upper part of his body snapped up and over, cutting the vines that held him with his beak
in one stroke. He fell back-first to the ground and hit it hard, yelling in pain.
''Ah! What the--'' Blu started, getting up and clutching his aching back, now hearing the sounds of laughter coming from behind a nearby tree.
Blu exclaimed in disgust, knowing who that voice belonged to.
''Tiago!'' He called. A young Blue Spix Macaw - having exactly the same colored feathers as Blu - emerged, laughing so hard.
''Morning, Dad,'' He managed to blurt out.
''This was your idea of a joke?''
''Hey, it wasn't me! Nuh-uh! No way!'' Tiago protested. ''I swear!''
''Then who was it?'' Blu asked, not believing him.
''That would be me,'' A new voice cut through the air. Blu and Tiago spun around to see a third Blue Spix Macaw appear. This one looked old and had a straight beak. Although he looked it, this particular macaw was younger than he looked. He only looked the way he did because of the hardships he had to put up with through his life. Not to mention... that event.
Blu gulped. This bird was also his father-in-law.
''Hello there, Blu.'' The macaw greeted in a friendly manner.
''Oh, er... hello, sir.'' Blu nervously said. He always felt uncomfortable around him.
''Hey, you don't have to feel out of place. You know I don't bite.'' Eduardo told him, making it sound like a joke. ''No, really. And you don't have to keep calling me 'sir'. Just plain old Eduardo will be enough.''
''Oh... Okay.''
''By the way, yes, that was my idea.'' Eduardo explained. ''Tiago here helped me out a little bit, was all.''
Blu cocked his head to one side as he switched between looking at Eduardo and Tiago.
''Well, with all due respect, what was the point in this particular exercise?''
''Hey, Bia? What do you think?'' Eduardo answered in response.
''Um... 0.8 seconds... I think that's a new record.'' Bia said, as she was the last to show herself from behind the tree. Blu sighed.
''You three were in on it together?''
''Even if we are no longer threatened by the loggers, we still have to keep alert, Blu.'' Eduardo reminded him. ''But you know that.''
''Yes, yes, I know all of that.'' Blu replied, obviously tired from the fact that this is the umpteenth time that Eduardo had told him.
Eduardo, while he didn't look it, was fairly stern. But more importantly, he was also Jewel's father and Blu's father-in-law. A very long time ago,
nearly two decades ago, illegal loggers had cut their way into the Amazon jungle and laid waste to the Blue Spix Macaw's home in their hunt
for wood. Most of the birds and animals who found themselves caught up in the blaze had perished. Jewel could have been one of them, but
was saved from becoming a char on Roberto's part. Eduardo knew that because she was still very young and that she couldn't fly just yet,
she couldn't come with them, and had Roberto take an unconcious Jewel as far away from humans as possible. When she came to, she
remembered what happened, and set one goal in her mind: Getting the heck out of the graveyard that had been created by the loggers, as well
as trying to find somewhere as far away from humans. Half a year on the march later, Jewel had taught herself how to fly, and 2000 miles
south of where she had begun her journey, came across a certain Rio De Janeiro: A human city built on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. Despite part of her telling her not to go there, Jewel made some friends, began a new life here, and soon began to see that maybe not all humans were bad. But 14 years later, all of that was briefly retaken from her when some humans knocked her out cold and was taken into
captivity at the aviary. Jewel's hatred for humans resurfaced. Then Blu wandered into her life.
Three years after an event best known as the 'Plane Breakout', Blu, Jewel and their three kids were living a peaceful life in Rio, with Blu teaching Jewel what good humans were capable of doing, as well as trying to stop the bad ones from doing horrific deeds. On that day when
they recieved news of the existance of other Spix Macaws out there, they went all the way up north, back to the Amazon so they could meet
them -
And Jewel was reunited with her father.
Choosing to move to the Amazon and live with the other macaws, Blu found it fairly hard to shift from domesticated behaviour to wild behaviour, much to Eduardo's dismay. But Blu saw the chance to prove that being different was in no way bad when loggers attempted to destroy their home again. Persuading everyone to fight them was a sucess, and the Spix Macaws easily defeated the loggers, with the help of the rival
Scarlet Macaws and other creatures living in the Amazon. Eduardo then saw the good side of Blu's behaviour and his knowledge of humans, and welcomed his family into the tribe. Over the months, he helped Blu develop his skills, and attempt to leave some of his habits behind, which to be fair, Blu said he wanted to stop. With Eduardo's help, Blu found himself able to fly faster and further for longer, fly backwards, quicken his
reflexes, and most importantly, learn to use his beak to complete most tasks. The two of them got on well these days, but Blu was still nervous
when his father-in-law was around.
''So you need anything? I heard you calling for us just now,'' Eduardo asked. Blu cleared his throat and began.
''Well, now that the summer's here, well... Me and Jewel are planning on heading on a vacation back to Rio De Janeiro tomorrow...''
''If you're looking for permission, look no further.'' Eduardo said in a deadpan style, before chuckling. ''Of course you can go! Anything for my
daughter and my son-in-law.''
''Thank you, sir. But my question was, I'm asking on behalf of Jewel to see if you want to come along for the ride. The more, the merrier, right?''
''Oh wow, we're going back there?!'' Tiago exclaimed, overhearing the conversation.
''Of course we are.'' Blu said. ''Me and your mother just want to see who else wants to come.''
''C'mon, Eduardo!'' Bia told him. ''You'll love it over there! What do you say?''
Eduardo gave it some thought.
''I don't know, to be perfectly honest. I... haven't left this place in more than 10 years. Not even to go to Manaus. Mainly because I couldn't stand
seeing humans after what happened all that time ago. You sure we'll be fine?''
''I know we will. Humans are a great species. But there's a knack to them. You have to know which ones you can trust.''
''And how did you know you could trust... What was her name... Linda? How did you know you could trust her?''
''I didn't. Because I was so young back then, I had no choice but to put my faith in her. And in return, she put hers in mine. Same I did with Jewel.''
''...'' Eduardo looked at Blu for a small while. Blu swallowed nervously. ''Oh, okay then. But just in any case, we could use some protection.''
''Well, I've got that pocket knife in that fanny pack of mine--'' Blu started.
''You're joking, right? Ten months of training with me, you say you no longer require human objects?'' Eduardo cut him off, but trying to make it sound like a joke. ''Nah, we'll need Roberto with us, that's a definite.''
Blu rolled his eyes. Of course it was.
''Well, I was going to invite him anyway. You know where he is?''
''I have; he's over in the Pit with Felipe.'' Tiago answered.
''Okay, thanks.'' Blu paused to look at Bia and Tiago. ''You haven't seen Carla, have you?'' He asked.
''I believe she said that she's over with Nico and Pedro.'' Bia said.
''Alright then.'' Blu said, spreading his wings. ''See you later guys! And Eduardo, tell Mimi that she's free to come along as well if she wants!''
''Will do!'' Eduardo shouted to him as Blu flied off.

Manu watched from the windowsill he was propped up against, in a position so he could see both the newsstall and Sonny - who was also watching from a nearby stall - at the same time. The vendor was busy serving the customers who were at his stall. Taking a step back, Sonny observed the vendor, with his red baseball cap, white shirt and blue jeans. Manu and Sonny saw this guy every day in the market. He was a nice guy from what they've seen, but hated it when birds ripped out random parts of his newspapers for no apparant reason. The reason for the birds was apart from actually flying from city to city, they had no idea what was happening out of town. Apart from major news - such as something called the 'Plane Breakout' a few years ago. That was massive.
Manu eyed the vendor, who had locked his main stall and pulled the blind over the stack of newspapers to make sure no one could steal them.
He had made the mistake of leaving his key on the side though as he turned to go to the toilets. It was out of sight from most angles, but Manu, watching like an eagle, saw exactly where the vendor had left the key. Sonny turned to look at Manu and gave a sharp nod. He saw it and flew down.
''Ready?''
''Yep.''
Both birds ran over to the stall and climbed up. Manu grabbed the small key and tossed it to Sonny.
''Be quick; we haven't got long. And make sure no one's watching us.'' Manu said.
''YOU make sure no one's watching us; I've gotta get this open.'' Sonny retorted, as he fumbled to put the key into the lock. Manu scanned the market. It was usually quiet at the lunch hour, so the Mercado was mostly empty. No humans were watching them.
''You got it?'' Manu asked Sonny.
''Nearly...''
The lock turned and Sonny grinned.
''It's open!'' He said, flipping the blind up.
''Alright, let's grab one and shut this thing back down before he comes back.''
Manu and Sonny climbed up onto the stacks of newspapers in the stall and they grabbed one of them from either side in their talons.
''Okay, go,'' Manu said, flapping his wings. The two birds jumped down on the ground and ran as quickly as they could. Sonny ditched his side of the newspaper.
''Lock it, you idiot!'' Manu hissed at him when he saw he hadn't locked the stall back down. ''I'll take the newspaper!''
Sonny ran back to the stall, relocked it and put the key back exactly as Manu had found it, just as the vendor returned from his toilet break.
Just outside of the marketplace, in the open air, Manu was beginning to flip through the pages, trying to find something in particular.
''No. No. No. No. No. No...'' He kept muttering to himself. Sonny came back.
''I think we got away with it.'' He commented. Sonny then noticed that Manu was tearing through the pages like there was no tomorrow.
''Hm? Manu, what're you looking for?''
''Hold on, hold on...''
Manu flicked back a few pages, looking at the article on the top of the page. Bingo. Manu made a small crease around the article, then used his
claws like scissors to cut the article out of the newspaper. When he was done, Manu put it under his wing for safekeeping.
''I got what we came for; let's go.'' He said in content. Sonny gawped at the fact that they had just stolen a newspaper from a human, only for a small article, and now they were just leaving the darn thing there?!
''Has anyone ever told you about how you leave stuff lying about without ever putting it back?'' Sonny asked Manu, running to catch up to him.
''Especially things from humans?''
''Maybe,'' Manu sniggered. ''But if they have, I've never heard anyone tell me.''
Manu took out the article from under his wing, unfolded it and began to read it while walking. Sonny peeked over.
''What's that you've got there then?''
''Just an article on the preservation of birds and what progress is being made.'' Manu replied, reading it. The article was entirely in Portugese. A good thing Manu and Sonny could speak Portugese then.
''Great, it says here that illegal smuggling of birds are now at an all-time low. Only five hundred or so birds have been reported as smuggled over the past year, and most smuggling rings run by humans have been busted up.''
''That's good to hear. But as you just said, that's still 500 birds nevertheless.''
''Hm.'' Manu paused. ''Huh? Hold on just a second...'' Manu moved his hazel eyes closer to the paragraph he was now reading. ''Hey, can you
remember the name of that wildlife park in Rio at all?''
''Um... Wasn't it the Blu Bird Sanctuary?'' Sonny thought.
''Check this out. Guess who's on the photo.''
Manu pointed to the black-and-white photo for Sonny, which showed a happy Blue Spix Macaw, perched on the shoulder of what appeared to be his owner.
''Is that...''
''No doubt about it.''
''They named it after him? Why?''
Manu folded the article back over and put it back in the underside of his wing.
''No idea.'' Sonny shrugged. ''But we should show the others--''
''No.'' Manu quickly interjected.
''Whaddya mean, 'no' ?!'' Sonny exclaimed. Manu sighed.
''Apologies. I meant to say 'not yet'. I don't want them rushing to Rio just so they can meet them again. I want them to go at their own pace.''
''Since when did you care about other birds?'' Sonny asked.
''Since I lost her,'' Manu muttered indistinctly, thinking of Kiara. ''If I couldn't care about her, then I'd try to care about everyone else for her.''
The two of them headed back to Ibirapuera Park.
''Hold on.'' Sonny said. ''Pass me that article again, will you?''
''Sure.''
Manu retrieved the article and handed it to Sonny.
''That photo. That was taken over two years ago.''
''What? How do you know that?''
''Because I saw it in the papers a long time ago, now that I remember. I saw EXACTLY the same photo.''
''They used that same one? ...Why?''
''Maybe.. Maybe he no longer lives there.''
''That's possible. Or...''
Manu and Sonny turned a corner and came into view of Ibirapuera Park.
''Listen. So much as I want to know what the heck's happened, or is happening over there right now, I don't want to rush.''
''Why not?''
Manu answered this question by motioning his head. Sonny looked up to see Ara, Clearwater and Alice chatting to each other in a shady spot
of the park.
''Like I said, for their sake. They said it's not their fight.''
''You expect them to fly into Rio and ignore them? Remember what the prophecy said, Manu. We have to remind them.''
''And we will. But not yet. Don't worry, my friend.'' Manu said, smiling and patting Sonny's shoulder. ''I'll let you remind them a little nearer the time, okay?''
''...Seems fair enough.''
Manu and Sonny leaned back against a wall and watched the group of Green-winged macaws.
''Is she perfoming tonight?'' Manu asked, referring to Clearwater.
''Yeah. Gonna be one great show.''
''Gotta admit, she's a brilliant singer.'' Manu commented.

Even from high above, any bird could still easily make out the two figures of red and blue in the Pit, practicing. Blu picked both of them out quickly as a result of this. Seeing the blue one - yet another Blue Spix Macaw - Blu had to feel a slight bit jealous at him. He was way better
at what Blu did, and Blu did it pretty well. But on the other wing, at least there's some things that he couldn't do as well as Blu.
The Pit was a small ravine found between the border of the Blue Spix Macaw's and the Scarlet Macaw's territory. A small stream of water coming from the main river ran through it shallowly. In the centre was a piece of rock, having slowly been eroded away by the thunderstorms
and rain. The stone around the ravine had been carved out to form seats and benches for the spectators. Right now, the place was empty, safe
for the three birds here. The Pit used to be a fierce battleground, as they rivalry between the Spix's and the Scarlets were settled here every month, with both species fighting for control over one of the only sources of food here: A Brazil Nut grove. But that was before Blu and his family moved here. Even the Pit had its name changed after what happened. Although still a battleground, the rivalry wasn't as fierce as before, but still was very fierce indeed.
Blu gently glided down to the Pit and sat down on a bench from afar, watching both players closely. The blue one was a natural at what he did,
keeping the nut which they used as a ball in the air using only his talons. The other red macaw was watching him impatiently while hovering
in mid-air, guarding the goal. After seeing this bird show-off for a while, he exclaimed in disgust.
''How much longer are you gonna be keeping me, Roberto?'' He called. The other macaw replied by chuckling.
''A'ight Felipe, but if you miss this, it's yer own fault!''
On those words, Roberto dropped the ball onto the rock in the centre and took a few steps back. Felipe moved over to his left and clapped his
talons together, ready for the shot.
''And here's Roberto winding up for the big one...'' He said aloud, like a sports commentator. ''He shoots...''
Roberto flicked the nut up into the air and directed all of the force in his body towards his foot, hitting the nut with a lot of force. It soared through
the air, heading straight for the goal Felipe was guarding. Roberto cracked a smug grin, knowing that he wasn't going to save this one.
Felipe darted to the left and just managed to catch the nut in the tips of one of his wings as it went by, staying aloft by flapping the other.
Roberto groaned in frustration, while Felipe roared in triumph.
''He misses!'' Felipe announced, throwing the nut back to Roberto.
''This isn't fair, y'know. Since when did you get so good at goalkeeping?''
''Since when did you get so bad at free kicks?'' Blu interjected, choosing to make his presence known and flew over to Roberto, landing next to him. Roberto jumped slightly when he saw Blu come out of nowhere.
''Hey there, Blu!'' He greeted, shaking his wing. ''How's Ju-Ju?''
''Yeah, she's fine.'' Blu replied, hiding the fact that he hated it when Roberto called Jewel by a nickname he came up with for her. In slight
revenge, Blu occasionally called Roberto 'Rob'. It caught on with the others, and now Roberto was peeved. He didn't even know that it was Blu who came up with the nickname.
''What did you mean by 'Bad at free kicks'?'' Roberto said, sounding frustrated. ''I've never had this kinda trouble before.''
''You're doing it wrong, that's why!'' Felipe shouted to him, laughing.
''Felipe, shut it for a few seconds, would you?'' Roberto shouted back.
''Nah, I'm afraid he's right, Roberto. If you keep relying on the same tactics, the others will eventually be able to read your mind and employ strategys of their own to counter yours.'' Blu explained.
''So what do you suggest I do?''
''Simple. Mix up your moves. Try doing some things that seem inexplainable to others, but after watching them do it for a while, it begins to make sense. For example...'' Blu rolled the nut to a spot on the rock. ''Hey, Felipe! I'll bet you I can get this one in from here!''
''Good luck trying to get past me then!'' Felipe retorted, slapping his talons together again, ready for the next shot. ''Bring it!''
Blu took a step back, took a deep breath, then ran forward and slammed his claw into the nut, hitting it from the bottom-left. The nut span through the air, rotating in the direction Blu had kicked it. Felipe darted to the centre to try and catch it, but he wasn't prepared for the fact
that the trajectory of the nut was cuving left. Felipe was caught off-guard by this, and tried to throw himself in the direction of the nut, but it
was too late. The nut sailed past Felipe, into the wall of the goal, and to the stream below.
''GOAL!'' Blu shouted. Roberto applauded him a little.
''W... What the heck just happened!'' Felipe shouted after retrieving the nut from the water. ''I had that! It just curved straight past me!''
''I know! I put some spin on the nut, that's all!''
''Some...what?'' Roberto asked, unfamiliar with the term. Blu exclaimed in disgust.
''You've been playing soccer all your life, and you've never heard of 'spin'?!'' He said. ''Oh well... It's when you hit the ball on its sides rather than
in the middle of it. It makes the nut rotate and curve in the direction you hit it. That's how it curved past Felipe.''
''Very sneaky, I have to admit.'' Felipe said, coming down to land next to Blu and Roberto. ''I'll have to check with the referees for using that one in a match.''
''Oh, it's allowed alright.'' Blu said. ''Humans do that a lot when they play soccer.''
''Really?...'' Roberto mumbled. ''Hm. If you really know all that, you'd have to ask Eduardo to join the team. Maybe your knowledge could help us win a few more matchs.''
''But let's not forget the time where you gave us a free win by scoring a goal for us.'' Felipe reminded Blu, laughing.
Blu groaned. That.
''Yeah, but only because I wasn't used to playing in mid-air!'' He protested.
''Well, you are now, thanks to what Eduardo teached you.''
Blu smiled. That was indeed true.
Roberto was one slick, smooth bird. He knew Jewel better than anyone else before the forest fire tore them apart. When Blu and Jewel headed to the Amazon earlier, Jewel was reunited with Roberto. While Blu held him in high regard, he did feel jealous at the fact that Roberto was mostly better at what Blu does. Not to mention showing off all of the time. But ever since their victory over the loggers, Roberto agreed to let Blu play on the same level. Especially when it came to facing off against his rival in the Pit.
Felipe was the Scarlet Macaw's version of Roberto, and was cockier than him, but sometimes rightly so. He loves making jokes and teasing the Spix Macaw's, especially Eduardo - or 'Ol' Eddie' as Felipe called him - in particular. This naturally grated on Eduardo, and the two of them
had a falling out, grudgingly agreeing to share the Brazil nut grove that lies right on the border between the two species' territories. Roberto and
Felipe clashed in the Pit for control over the grove that one time where Blu messed up bad by accidentally crossing over into the Scarlet's territory. The Spix Macaw's lost after Blu screwed it up even further by scoring an own goal for the Scarlet Macaw's, and Felipe's group gained control over all the food that was there. But when the loggers invaded, Felipe and Roberto saw fit to team up, put their rivalry aside and drive them out for good. After this, Felipe gave Eduardo their side of the grove back, and the former rivals became friends, but their rivalry still burned on in the Pit.
''So why are ya here, Blu?'' Felipe asked. ''Passing by or something?''
''Er, actually, me and Jewel are getting ready for our little trip back to Rio, and we wanted to see who wants to come. You two interested?''
''Rio?'' Roberto repeated. ''That's not... a human city... is it?''
''Sure is. But don't worry. The humans there don't get in our way too much.''
''Oh, Mio Dios...'' Roberto muttered, turning away and clutching his head with his wings, thinking back to that time when he was still a hatchling, and was being tormented by that one human who force-fed him tasteless crackers every hour of the day and calling him that stupid name... What was it? Polly, or something?
''Huh? Rob, you okay man?'' Felipe noticed Roberto was now sweating.
''Is he okay?'' Blu asked.
''Something about a human making trouble for him when he was younger. He never told us the full details.'' Felipe explained. Blu did a small double take, then took a step forward and placed a wing on Roberto's wing.
''Hey. I know, you told me about what happened. It's not your fault. You probably think that humans are twisted, cruel beings. The fact is, not all of them are that way. While the bad side of humans is true to a degree, you need to know this: You can trust humans.''
Roberto mulled this over for an uneasy amount of time, during which he managed to stop shaking and he came back to the real world.
''...And your old owner... Linda, was it? ...You trust her?''
Blu rolled his eyes, having to repeat what he said to Eduardo only an hour or so ago.
''I've known Linda for practially all my life. Ever since she found me, ever since we travelled to Brazil and I met Jewel, and ever since we decided to leave for the Amazon. I put my trust in her all the way. And she put hers in mine. I have a reason to say that I was her companion.''
''Okay then...''
Roberto turned around, smiled and chuckled.
''I'm in.''
''Good bird. You know it makes sense.'' Blu beamed, patting Roberto on the shoulder. ''Felipe, what about you?''
''Is Ol' Eddie coming?'' Felipe quickly asked.
''Yeah.'' Blu replied.
''We're gonna have a lotta fun, then.'' Felipe said. ''Oh, by the way, I have to meet someone upriver tomorrow before we go, so if you want, I can meet up with you guys on the riverboat.''
''Got it.''
Blu turned around and spread his wings.
''I'm gonna go look for Nico and Pedro. You see them pass by here at all, tell them that I'm looking for them!''
''Okay! See you tomorow!'' Roberto shouted to Blu as he flew off. When he was gone, he turned back to Felipe, who was looking at him, wings crossed.
''...What?'' He asked.
''And you say that you're a better player than me. You gotta get practicing.''
''Oh, I will do.'' Roberto said, placing the nut back on the rock.

The lights around the streets of Sao Paulo began to flicker and turn on. The night sky shone bright with the stars. As the humans living here
began to call it a day, the birds came out of the dark to party in the Mercado Municipal, in a huge display of colors and music every week.
As Manu walked down the narrow side street to the old marketplace, he could hear the festivites and chattering of birds grow louder. The Hyacinth Macaw cracked a smile. Manu didn't care too much about hisself. As long as the others were having fun, he was having fun.
But that was while his dear sweet was still in this world... She died - was killed - nearly a decade ago, by a yellow macaw whom he thought
could trust. But the mastermind behind the attack was still out there. That white bird...
So much as he wanted to though, he had to stay out of it. This wasn't his fight, as he and the others agreed last year.
It was THEIR fight alone.
''Hey!'' A voice shouted from behind him.
''Hm?''
Manu turned around to see Ara heading straight for him. He touched down on the ground and tucked his wings away.
''You okay?'' Ara asked. ''I thought I saw you space out for a moment there.''
Manu put his thought into the back of his mind.
''...Just thinking of something,'' He said to Ara. He then tried to change the subject. ''Is Clearwater already over there?''
''Should be. C'mon, let's not keep her waiting.''
Ara took the lead as Manu trailed behind him, watching the cheery Green-winged macaw in front of him. Ara was lucky, Manu had to admit, to
have a special someone in his life. Just like that pair of Blue Spix Macaws. But how does it feel? To be seeing someone after having missed
them for so long in their lifetimes? Manu never felt this, because he was her all the time back then.
With her gone, he'll never know...
''Well, here we are.'' Ara said, stopping outside the archway to Mercado. He could see everyone heading under the massive velvet cover that was draped around a pile of boxes and being weighed down on each corner by a brick. Ara and Manu walked over to the cover, and Manu pulled it open.
''After you.'' He said. Ara looked at him for a split-second, smiled, then went in.
The place looked truly spendid. Parrots, macaws, all different kinds of birds were here tonight. Different colored lights created by shining a torch
through color filters that the birds found somewhere shone down from the top, forming a barrage of colors. Birds from all over the city and its
vicinities were attracted here every Wednesday.
Ara took in the sight as he wandered around, trying to see if he could pick out Clear, Alice or Sonny. Not finding the others, Ara presumed they
had either not got here yet or were backstage. But he knew his sweet Clearwater was already here, who was the main performance tonight.
Up on the stage was a flamingo, talking to a couple of birds. This was Sonny, who just happened to be Alice's and Clear's godfather.
''Yeah, but they can't be over there right now, and I have no idea who we're looking for either, so c'mon, gimme a break.'' One of the birds said,
yawning.
''Fine, fine, I'll let you call it quits.'' Sonny said to him, sounding amused. ''Don't worry, me and my friends are heading over there in a week's time, so we can check it out for you. Don't swear it. Now could you please clear out? I wanna get this show started.''
''Sure thing.''
The two birds flew down from the stage. Sonny moved over to a turntable - a rare sight - and twisted a knob on it, turning down the background
music that was playing.
''Good evening, folks!'' He shouted to the crowd, who turned to him with their attention and applauded and cheered.
''I'm going over in the crowd,'' Ara whispered to Manu, and moved over into a cluster of the crowd. Manu crossed his wings and hid a small smile. If only to see her much better.
''I'm glad you're all here tonight, on this, the final day of November. The countdown to Christmas and the New Year begins right here!''
Ara yelled in content with the crowd and cheered.
''Now, to begin tonight, we've a special treat for you.'' Sonny said, moving to the side as he talked. ''Back by popular demand, this is for our old friend Ara, whom I forget to congratulate on marrying a few months ago.''
A spotlight shone on Aran, who blushed when everyone applauded him. Shielding his eyes with one wing and waving with the other, Ara laughed.
''Well, I guess we should let him be.'' Sonny laughed, motioning for the spotlight to be taken off of Ara. ''Ladies and gentlebirds of Sao Paulo, I
give you, the one and only Clearwater Halcyon!''
The moment Sonny finished speaking, the crowd erupted into applause and all the lights were suddenly switched off, plunging the room into black.
Music slowly - very slowly - began to fade in: A pad that grew in volume and intensity, sounding very chill gave way to a steady drum beat, with the macaw playing the drums lit up by the spotlight. No one seemed to be on the turntables though... Or one that could be seen anyway, since that part of the stage was still blacked out. But when the drum player hit a cymbal, that part of the stage began to light up - revealing Clearwater.
Her head feathers were swept to the side so they fell down the back and side of her head. Everyone screamed their heads off, even before she
began to sing. Ara gazed at the beautiful bird in love. His eyes met hers, and they both smiled at each other fo a while. Clear's cue came, and
she began to sing in a beautiful voice that matched he appearance:

Maybe I can't be what you want me
To be
I've given you everything when I sailed
The sea
Maybe there's fireworks in my heart
Setting off
Although I wish you hadn't let us
Fall apart

The drums kicked back into action quite firmly, as Clear sung the next verse:

I promised I'd try to let this go, but
I can't breathe
If only you knew how much I'd give you
Everything you need
Seeing the space and time around us
Go to waste
Maybe I think what he said to you
I can see it in your face

Another cymbal was hit, and everything cut away, leaving the bird that was now on the turntables to play that pad for a while. Clear skipped over
to him and slapped his wing, before singing again, this time holding the notes as much as she could:

Don't leeeeeaaaavvvveeee
Don't leeeeeaaaavvvveeee
I need yooooouuuuu
And I need yoooouuuuu

The song had started to become more and more intense, as the drums, synth and pad started to reach a peak. Ara chuckled, waiting for his
favorite part to come: The drop. The macaw that was on the drums started to beat them harder and faster in an effort to keep up as the synth
rised up.
''Wait, wait for it...'' Clear shouted, getting ready to blow off the steam that was building up inside her and the others. As the rise hit its peak,
Ara closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Silence for a split-second.
Then it came.
As Clear sang, the synths began to stab out a furious four-note melody, accompagnied by a strong drum beat and the cheering of the crowd.
Ara was whooping and having the time of his life, jumping about to the beat of the music. Clear saw him and laughed. Anything to make him happy.

I need you
'Cause lately I don't know what I'll do
I need you
'Cause lately you've got the best of me

The song began to calm down, and so did the crowd. But they knew it wasn't over just yet. There was going to be a second drop soon enough.
As the song picked up its gentle pace again, Clear resang the second verse:

I promised I'd try to let this go, but
I can't breathe
If only you knew how much I'd give you
Everything you need
Seeing the space and time around us
Go to waste
Maybe I think what he said to you
I can see it in your face

The drop was coming again, this time coming faster than the previous one.
''C'mon guys! Sing along!'' Clear shouted over the rise. The birds responded by cheering.
''Heh, here it comes...'' Manu thought out loud, getting ready to throw his dark, long wings into the air. Clear was trembling in anticipation and excitement.
''Sing it together guys!'' Sonny shouted from the side. Everything came tumbling down as the second drop began as Clearwater filled the tent
with her voice, the stabbing melody and the drums, as the crowd sang along as loud as they could. Ara was killing his throat.

Don't leeeavvvvveeee
Don't leeeaaavvvveeee meeeee
I neeeed yoooouuuu
And I neeeed yooooouuu

The song fadedout as Clear sang those lyrics one final time. The crowd exploded into applause, cheering and whistling as it finished. Clear beamed. This was what she loved.
''Thank you!'' She shouted over applause. ''It's good for me to be back for all of you!''
''Same here!'' Sonny told her as he came back on stage. ''I have to ask on behalf of the crowd: How DO you hold those notes so well?! I forgot how amazing you were! You have an amazing voice!''
Clear laughed as she preened some of her head feathers back behind her head.
''Oh, you have no idea how long I've been practicing by myself. When I was younger, I was quite shy when it came to performing, and always felt embarrassed when someone caught me singing alone. They said I was brilliant at it though, and said I should perform at a party somewhere. With that in mind, I say this: Anyone can be as good as I am. It takes time, sure, but don't let that get you down. One day, you'll nail it. For those of you aspiring to become singers, I wish you all good luck!''
''Great words from Clear here!'' Sonny said. ''Okay folks, we're gonna take a break for a few minutes while we get ready for the next song, so settle down, grab some air outside, something to eat and drink, and we'll be back in ten to fifteen minutes!''
Sonny and Clear went backstage as another bird took over the drumming role for some background music. Clear motioned for Ara, Manu and another bird to come up.
When Sonny saw Clear come in, he broke down and laughed in content.
''That was absolutely amazing.'' He said. ''It's this sort of thing that make me proud to be your godfather.''
Clearwater smiled.
''Thanks, Sonny.''
''Sorry I'm late!'' Alice said, as she came in from the stage. The birds working backstage looked up to see who the new arrival was.
''Hey, hold the curtain!'' Ara said to Alice as he and Manu came in. ''Thanks.''
''Oh, hey you two!'' Sonny greeted, noticing them. ''What're you doing back here?''
''Clear invited us up,'' Ara said, before looking over at her. ''Sweetheart, that was beautiful. You should be proud of yourself.''
''I am. And I'm glad that you and the others liked it.''
''I'll always like what you do.'' Ara said, kissing Clear. ''So why'd you invite us up?''
''I was thinking: If we are to go to Rio in a week's time, then perhaps we could hook up with that toucan... What was his name...''
Clearwater exclaimed in frustration. ''Darn it, I forgot his name.''
''What, with his friends?'' Manu said. ''Um... That canary and that cardinal bird as well... You know, I've forgotten as well. Sorry. I really need
to stay in touch with some people a little more. And besides, there's something I want to have a look at when we get there as well that I want
to show all of you.''
''What is it?'' Alice asked.
''Ah. That would be telling.'' Manu said, failing to try to not smile in smugness, his more mysterious side taking over.
''But I...'' Clear started, then groaned. ''Fine... When this party's over, I vote we spend the rest of the week prepping up, and we'll head out this
Sunday, okay?''
''Sure.''
''Yeah, no prob with that.''
''Yep, agreed.'' Sonny said. ''But first, we've got a show to do. C'mon, let's continue bringing down the house.''
Sonny headed out back onto the stage. Alice, Clear, Ara and Manu shared glances.
''Some night, huh?'' Alice said, breaking the silence.
''Hey, you're all on!'' Sonny said, peaking his head through the curtain.
''Wha... ALL of us?'' Manu repeated. Sonny grinned and nodded.
''Hey, did I tell you? You're the main act. All of you.''
Ara whistled.
''Really? Then let's not let them down. Come on, amigoes!''
''Yeah!''

As the sun began to set over the Amazon rainforest, the blue sky gave to a deep, vivid orange and crimson. The clouds overhead were also starting to recieve a crimson-ish tint. Darkness always comes late to this part of Brazil. The emerald-blue surface of the Amazon river shimmered under the evening sun, reflecting it and anything in a wobbly display, its cool surface just beckoning for you to dive in and cool off.
The lily pads and reeds growing in the water grew here, a small flight away from the Blue Spix Macaw's territory.
Blu touched down, tucked away his wings and began to walk the rest of the way. As the sun beat down, so did the heat, but not before spiking
to up to 45 degrees Celsius. Blu sweated under the heat, making him hot and thirsty. Then again, he had been doing a full day of flying around the area, seeing who wanted to come along to Rio with him, Jewel and their kids. He was nearly done, but there was just three more birds to ask...
''Nico?'' He called out. ''Pedro? ...Carla? You here?''
This question was answered when Blu heard in the distance what sounded like a steady drum beat come from where the edge of the water was. Blu went to have a look.
Next to one of the trees, a small canary with his trademark bottle cap on his head as a makeshift hat was tapping the trunk of a tree with his wings, creating a steady drum beat. Next to him was his best friend a red-crested Cardinal, who was rapping in Portugese. A small Blue Spix Macaw was watching from the sidelines. The canary and Cardinal were Nico and Pedro - close friends of Raphael, and expert musicians in the bird world. The othe Spix Macaw was Carla, Blu and Jewel's oldest daughter, also a very avid fan of music as much as Nico and Pedro. Blu hung back for a small while, watching the performance. He couldn't quite make out what Pedro was saying, seeing how he doesn't speak Portugese as well as the others. When they were done, Carla applauded.
''That was pretty good, guys!'' She commented, flying over to them.
''Hey, it's what we do.'' Nico said, taking off his bottle cap and mopping his brow. Blu came out from watching.
''Ah, there you are, I was looking for you.'' He said, catching their attention.
''Howdy there, Blu!'' Nico greeted, flying over to him and landing on his shoulder, which showed just how small he was compared to Blu.
''Oh, hi Dad.'' Carla said. ''Haven't seen you all day.''
''Neither have I, but that was 'cause I was looking for you.''
''Whaddya need, bird?'' Pedro asked.
''Well, we're prepping up for our holiday back to Rio tomorrow, and Raphael wants to see if you two - erm, make that three - want to come.''
''You had to ask, didn't you?'' Nico said jokingly. ''Well, of course we wanna go! Because of Eduardo, we never got the chance to head back there for our planned Carnival fiesta!''
''What, 'Amazon Untamed' ?''
''That's the one. Courtesy of Carla here, of course.''
Blu quickly glanded over at Carla, who tried not to blush.
''Perfect. That's everyone then.''
''Oh, where's the meeting place, by the way?''
''Over on the riverbank just north-east of here, where most of the boats pass.''
''Okay, gotcha.''
Blu turned to see the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon.
''I'd better get back. Whole tribe's gonna be coming out to see the sunset.''
Blu was about to head off when he was stopped by a question from Nico:
''Hope you don't mind me asking this, but... You've changed, haven't you?'' He said. Blu paused, then folded his wings back over and turned around.
''I... decided it was time. I didn't like being awkward; it made me feel embarrased around other people. I decided for Jewel's sake to become a proper, wild bird.''
''So we noticed. But, honestly? We don't want to see the old side of you die out, Blu. Sounds wierd, but it's true. We don't want you to stop having fun and start being so serious.''
Blu laughed at this.
''Oh, I'm sure that old part of me's in there somewhere, just waiting to kick in and take over again. But for now, this is who I'd like to be. And it also proves what Jewel once said to be was true.''
Blu spread his wings and got ready to take off.
''Hold up a sec!'' Pedro shouted to him. ''What did she tell you?''
''...She said 'When we look back at those memories, we'll probably go 'Wow, was I really like that back then?' ' ''
And with that, Blu jumped up into the air and flew off.
''Carla, make sure you don't come back too late!'' He called back behind him.
''Got it!'' She shouted.

It had just gone 1 AM in Sao Paulo. A long night of partying had come to an end for Ara, Clearwater and the others, and they were all heading home now. The lights shone down in the streets with orange glows as the family of green-winged macaws headed home to Ibirapuera Park, in amongst the flocks of other birds which gradually thinned out as each individual bird or group of birds turned into a street towards their home.
''That was utterly amazing,'' Ara said to the others. ''Never thought we'd have been doing that for the finale. Man, Sonny knows how to throw a surprise for us.''
''You have an amazing voice, Mom.'' Pablo added, fluttering along at the back.
''Aw, please, enough with the compliments.'' Clear laughed. ''You don't have to keep cawing down at me.''
''You don't have to be so modest all of the time, dear.'' Ara said.
''But there's much more to music than just my voice, y'know.''
''Ah yes, the turntables...'' Alice stated. Her sister shot her a glance. Alice laughed.
''You have to confess though, it's true. No matter how much you choose to deny it.'' Flora said.
By this time, the group had reached the small crossroads leading to all different directions and places in Sao. Alice yawned.
''I really gotta stop hanging out so late on an evening. I think it's starting to take a toll on me; just look at these bags.'' She said, rubbing her eyes. Ara and Clearwater took a closer look.
''Ooh, jeez, yeah...'' Ara mumbled.
''Thanks for noticing,'' Alice smirked, spreading her wings. ''Right, I'm heading home, so I guess I'll see y'all tomorrow. Night guys!''
''G'night! See ya!''
Pablo and Flora waved their aunt off as she flew back home.
''We should be going too. Come on kids.''
''Okay.''
The family of macaws hightailed the rest of the way to Ibirapuera and to the tree where they lived. Once there, Ara streched his wings and yawned, and Clearwater tucked Pablo and Flora into bed.
''Now I know it's been a long night and you're probably not tired at all, but try to get some sleep.'' She said.
''But I'm still so hyped. I don't think I CAN sleep.'' Flora pleaded. Clear gave a warm smile and took her child's head in her wings.
''We all probably can't, my sweet. But we have to try, so we can be ready for the next day.''
''But what if I can't?''
''Oh, me and your father usually stay in bed if we overdid it the previous night. You can too, if you want.''
''Really? Oh, thanks Mom.''
''My pleasure. Okay, sleep well.''
Flora snuggled up into a ball and closed her eyes. Clear went over to Ara's side and watched the night view of the park.
''Whew, that was quite some night.''
''Yeah, sure was.''
Ara looked on in uncertainty. He really wanted to tell her that the Blue Spix Macaws were alive and thriving again, but Manu told him not to tell her in case she starts rushing. But... she has the right to know.
''...Hey.''
Clear looked up.
''Yes?''
''There's something Manu wants me to tell you.''
''What is it?''
''It's...''
 Ara began.

The bright full moon had trouble attempting to pierce the dense canopy of the trees in the Amazon, and attempt to bring some natural moonlight into the pitch-black jungle. The rainclouds, on the other wing, did not, letting its wet contents onto the green-covered trees and foliage. The white thunder occasionally struck a nearby clearing, with the low and deep rumble that manifested just afterwards resonated throughout the rainforest.
Blu did nothing but sit and watch the storm roll by as Jewel sang a gentle lullaby to Carla, Bia and Tiago to help them drift off into sleep. Blu sighed, remembering those old days back in Moose Lake where he felt achy and dizzy, and Linda would bring him a mug of hot chocolate to ease his worries. But that was long ago; the young Blue Spix Macaw he once was long gone. He was an adult bird, and when he saw his and Jewel's kids, he would always remember how he used to be...
''Okay, they're asleep.'' Jewel quietly said, looking at a now asleep Tiago. ''Took me quicker this time around. I didn't even finish when Bia nodded off.''
Jewel smiled and turned around. Blu was still looking at the storm almost mindlessly.
''Huh?'' Jewel approached him. ''Somethin' on your mind, Blu?''
Blu didn't answer. At least, not straight away. The clap of thunder a few seconds later tore the memories flashing in front of him away.
''Hm?'' Blu turned around and saw Jewel. ''You say something?''
Jewel rolled her eyes.
''I'll take that as a yes.'' She replied. ''What're you thinking of this time?''
This time. She was right, Blu had been thinking a lot lately. But the reason he thought it was... it was because...
''Just thinking,'' He simply said.
''Yeah, but of what?'' Jewel asked, sounding desperate to know. Blu exhaled and turned around.
''It's been 8 months.'' He began. ''8 months since I moved here with you, the kids, Raphael and the others. During that time I've noticed that I've changed - Nico noticed that when I was talking to him and Pedro earlier.''
''You were the one who wanted to change.'' Jewel pointed out.
''I know, I know. But, have I changed too much for the city birds? Am I now... I don't know, too 'wild' for them now?''
Jewel took a step towards Blu and wrapped her wings around his neck.
''Hey. It doesn't matter how much you change, you'll never bury that old part of you forever. One day, it'll resurface. Also, there's one thing that'll never change at all. No matter what you do, it'll remain the same.''
''What's that?'' Blu asked. Jewel brought her head nearer.
''...You'll always be my dear sweet.'' She whispered, before closing her eyes and bringing her beak to Blu's. The two of them shared a long kiss, during which time Eduardo flew down and came into the treehole.
''Stupid weather...'' He mumbled under his breath, shaking the water off of his dripping body and went in.
''Just wanted to pass a mes--'' He started, before noticed what he was seeing. ''Oh. Oops.''
Blu jumped and tore himself away from Jewel, who also jumped.
''Dad!'' She exclaimed. Eduardo cleared his throat uncomfortably.
''Is this a bad time?'' He inquired, not wanting to disturb her daughter's peace.
''No, no. Go ahead.''
''I just remembered that when we go tomorrow, there's a friend of mine I haven't seen in a little while, and thought he'd like to come with us. You don't mind, do you?''
''Of course not. Where does he live?''
''Over in Manaus. He moved there after what happened all those years ago.'' Eduardo said, trying not to let the forest fire get to him.
''Oh, that's handy. We're heading over there anyway to pick up some supplies and check our route over. Oh, before I forget: What's the guy's name?''
''Er...'' Eduardo turned away, mumbling to himself. ''Great, even I can't remember now... He uses his nickname though... Oh, what was it...''
''Nickname?'' Blu asked. Eduardo turned back around.
''Oh, it doesn't matter; I'll know him when I see him. Just... don't let me forget, will you?''
''No prob. Is that all?''
''Yep. I'll see you over on the riverbank tomorrow. Have a good night.''
Eduardo turned around and flew off. When he was gone, Blu smiled.
''Small favors, I suppose.''
''Oh, come on, he's my dad.'' Jewel teased. ''That's just how he is. Now, anyway, were where we before he interrupted us...''
Jewel suddenly grabbed Blu by the wings and held him in a warm and tight embrace.
''Ah yes, I think I remember.'' Blu chuckled nervously.

The Avian Excursion begins soon... I hope you guys are looking forward to what I'm going to be bringing out over the next few months. Oh, and before I forget, I'll also be crediting the songs I use in each chapter this time around.
The song that I used at the start was 'Beautiful Creatures' by the Barbatuques (And also featured in the Rio 2 OST) and the song Clear sang at the party was Seven Lions (ft. Ellie Goulding) - 'Don't Leave'.
Hope you enjoyed this first chapter, and hope you'll be following the Avian Excursion as I write it!

• 2 months later...

Got a feeling I'm gonna be working on this one for the whole of the year, like I did with The Carnival. I'm still amazed at how big I made that one. I'm gonna see if I can go one step further and make it more not only bigger, but more dramatic. For now though, here's the next chapter:

December the 1st

Nico and Pedro were the first to arrive at the designated waiting spot - the riverbank on the edge of the Blue Spix Macaw's territory, where the Amazon river rolled on by in silence, stretching on for miles, both in length and width. Manaus - or the Gateway to the Amazon, as it was better known in the avian world - was located around 45 kilometres upstream from here, and while flying would have taken only up to an hour to reach the human city, the riverboats that passed by here every morning and evening were a more popular choice amongst birds, enabling them to view the lush scenery that gently rolled by.
Pedro was sitting on a small mound of dirt, tapping the tips of his wing on the ground in impatience as he listened to the chirping of birds and noises of other animals that resided here in the jungle. The occasional bird went by, prompting a 'Hey' or a 'Hi' from Nico and Pedro to them.
A few minutes passed, which felt like hours for Pedro.
''Man, how much longer we gotta wait for 'em?'' He asked, letting out a deep sigh as well.
''I did tell you - the earlier we got here, the longer we'd have to wait doing nothing.''
''Can't we rehearse while we wait?''
''Afraid we can't without Rapphie. He's important to it.''
Pedro let out another sigh.
''We had to go follow Blu, didn't we? If we didn't, we'd probably be rocking out in Rio right now, getting ready for the New Year.''
''Are you... saying it's his fault?'' Nico gasped, not sure if he heard what Pedro was trying to say correctly.
''Huh? No way, man! Not at all!'' Pedro exclaimed. ''I'm just saying that if we didn't follow him with his girl--''
''Hey, hey, they did what they had to do. And we tagged along willingly.'' 
''Something I probably shouldn'ta done. That Eduardo guy didn't let us go back. At all.''
''We didn't know. YOU didn't know, for goodness sake!'' Nico shouted. Pedro jumped at the sudden loudness of his voice. They looked at each other for a few seconds, then Nico bowed his head and shook it from side to side.
''Sorry. That's not like me.'' He began. ''It's been 8 months since we moved here. Every day, I've been longing to head back to that... magical place... Every single one of our requests had been denied. Sure, Eduardo let us out on the town every few days, but we never got the chance to head off by ourselves. Being on the wild side is more my preferred style of performing than it is living.''
''Then save it for when we go.'' Pedro replied, patting his friend on the shoulder. ''We'll be there in a week or so. That'll be the time where we can just let loose and have fun.''
''True, I guess. Thanks, man.''
Nico and Pedro bumped fists.
''No prob.'' Pedro beamed. He turned around when he heard the beating of wings, and saw that Raphael had arrived.
''Morning, boys!'' He called down.
''Hey! Down here!''
Raphael flew down to where Nico and Pedro were, landed, and tucked his wings behind his back. He frowned.
''You two are early for once,'' He noticed. ''That's not normally like you.''
''Couldn't sleep, couldn't wait.'' Nico quickly explained.
''Ain't your girl coming?'' Pedro asked, noticing that Raphael's wife Eva was nowhere to be seen. Rapphie glanced around quickly.
''Yeah, she is, but I snuck out of bed this morning before she woke up to come and talk to you two.'' He sniggered, making Nico and Pedro guffaw.
''She catches you, you're toast.'' Nico reminded Raphael, before noticing behind him that a Keel-billed Toucan was heading this way, along with a big group of smaller Toco Toucans.
''Rapphie!'' The Keel-billed one shouted angrily. Raphael jumped at hearing his name being said like that and turned around.
''Oh, crud. I'm already toast now.'' He mumbled. The group of Tocos began to charge straight at him. ''Wait! Wait a sec!'' He tried to plead, to no avail though, as his and Eva's children were always a pain to control. The Tocos crashed straight into an alarmed Raphael, and started to pin him down onto the grass.
''Stop it!'' He shouted amongst the confusion. ''Boys, you gonna help me or what?!''
Nico and Pedro were too busy laughing to be able to hear Rapphie's cry for help, as Eva landed and grunted.
''And think of THAT as your lesson for sneaking out while I was asleep!'' She snarled. Raphael picked himself up off of the grass.
''But Eva, you would have scolded me anyway if I got up with you and you asked why I wasn't out getting supplies!''
Eva let a 'humph' and turned her back on him. Some excuse that was.
''But, erm...'' Raphael started, looking through the foliage and pulling out a flower. ''While I was out here, I got you this. I know it's your favorite.''
Eva turned around and looked at the flower that Raphael had just picked for her. She smiled.
''Oh, you big thing...'' She said romantically, grabbing Raphael and kissing him passionately. Nico softly exclaimed in disgust and averted his eyes. Pedro did likewise. When they were eventually done, Raphael noticed that Felipe was the next to arrive.
''Morning, lovebirds.'' He said, smirking. ''You enjoyed it?''
''Very funny.'' Raphael scowled. ''I bet you enjoy doing this.''
''Kind of. Gives me something to do.'' Felipe replied, landing. ''Aren't the others here yet?''
''We're early, give 'em some time.''
''And... ol 'Eddie isn't here either?''
''We said just now that we're early, Felipe.''
''Oh. Right.''
''So how'd your match go last week?''
''Lost,'' Said Felipe wistfully. ''I swear that Blu's giving some private lessons to Roberto while my head's turned the other way...''
''Wait, Blu is?'' Nico cut in, not completely believing what Felipe had just stated. ''I thought Roberto was the better player in general.''
''Well Blu obviously knows some more... obscure tricks that I don't know myself. It frustrates me, to be honest.''
Felipe looked up to see that Eduardo, Roberto and Mimi had turned up. Mimi was Eduardo's younger sister and Jewel's aunt.
''...So you're looking for that guy huh?'' Mimi said to Eduardo. ''How to do you know that he'll be there?''
''He said he'd be watching the loggers.'' Eduardo explained. ''All this time though, he never came... Let's just hope that nothing happened to him.''
''Happened to who?'' Felipe asked, overhearing the conversation. Eduardo noticed him, rolled his eyes and frowned.
''Blu invited you as well?''
''You got a problem with that?'' Felipe fired back, starting to get angry.
''Did I say I did?'' Eduardo said. ''No, I did not.''
''Yeah, well, you made it sound like you did.'' Felipe sneered. ''Morning Rob,'' He added, turning to Roberto.
''Hey Felipe.'' Roberto simply said. ''You been waiting long?''
''About 10, maybe 15 minutes.'' Pedro said, despite having no idea of how much time had passed. ''Man, Blu and Jewel had better hurry up, I just wanna get goin'...''
''Hey, we're right here.'' Blu said, appearing with Jewel, Carla, Bia and Tiago. ''So you don't have to wait much longer.''
''Jewel!'' Mimi called over to her to her niece. ''Good to see you!''
''Aunt Mimi!'' Jewel called back, running over and giving her a big hug. Blu looked away uncomfortably, and caught Eduardo mouthing 'Did you have to bring this guy?' to him. Blu mouthed 'I thought you wouldn't mind' back to him. Eduardo couldn't usually stand being around Felipe for too long. There was many a time where he gave him a lashing for repeatedly being taunted by Felipe, and for being called 'Ol' Eddie' for that matter too...
''We all here?'' Blu asked, doing a head count. ''...Seems to be.'' He also noticed that Felipe was with them.
''Hey, what're you doing here? I thought you were supposed to meet us on the riverboat?''
''Turned out my friend is also heading to Manaus today, so we agreed that I go along with you and I'll meet him on the riverboat.'' Felipe explained, before asking: ''Um, Blu, I hope you also don't mind me asking, but...''
''What? What is it?''
''Are you sure you're not giving Roberto soccer lessons in private behind my back?''
''What?!'' Blu and Roberto exclaimed in unison.
''What made you think such a thing?'' Eduardo asked.
''Seeing as how you're getting better and me worse, apparantly--'' Felipe began, but was cut short by Nico:
''Sorry to cut this interesting conversation short, but the riverboat's here!'' He anounced. The others murmured in delight and went to have a look. On the Amazon river, a few metres from where the flock of birds were standing on the grassy bank, was a sturdy riverboat made out of steel and metal, chugging at a leisurely pace downstream. The smoke billowed out of its chimney, as the foghorn blared from it, echoing around the jungle.
''I think the answer to your question can wait for a little while, Felipe.'' Eduardo grinned, indirectly getting one over on him. ''Come on, let's go.''
The birds shared a cheer and flew off. Roberto looked at Jewel as he went past.
''Looking fine today Ju-Ju,'' He said as he flew.
''Aw, thanks 'Berto.'' Jewel beamed.

The yellow morning sun rose early over Sao Paulo, as Pablo and Flora were always the first in their family to awaken, so they could head out as early as possible and have more time to play with their friends. But while these two were young-minded and therefore, mostly innocent, they were completely oblivious to one fact that had scarred their parents a year ago. The route that they always took to go to Praça Da Se... Was the same one that Ara, Clearwater, Alice, Manu and their other friends and acquaintances were fleeing down, desperately trying to escape a lockdown...
''You still remember?'' Ara asked Clear once their kids had left.
''I still remember,'' She replied. ''Like the back of my wing.''
When those Spix Macaws and their friends came along, Sao was a very dangerous place to be. But the danger that was there... They knowingly brought it with them. Clear knew this. But one thing they never expected to happen... That... fire...
''But I don't want to go there...'' She whimpered. ''Not back there... Please don't make me have to...''
''Hey, it's okay.'' Ara whispered, holding her tight. ''You're safe now. We can't rewind time, so you don't have to go back there and face those memories again.''
''Maybe not in the past. But what about the future?''
Ara was unable to answer this question. What she said was true... In a way, history could be repeated again. And while the future was a time that had yet to come, it would come...
''Please...'' Clear begged, sobbing. ''Don't make them go through what we went through...''

FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!

The sky was still fairly hazy over the evergreen jungle and its blue waters, but would eventually clear soon enough. But it's not usually the sky that everyone looked at. Their attention was usually turned to the wonder of the jungle that laid before them, taking in the seemingly endless view.
The riverboat slowly chugged down the river, as human tourists and birds from the jungle currently on it took some time out and engrossed themselves in their own ways to amuse themselves as the boat headed for Maunaus - or, as it was better known to the birds of Brazil, the 'Gateway to the Amazon'. A name which was true, considering how everyone has to pass through Manaus and its docks to reach the Amazon. At the speed the riverboat was going, it would arrive at its destination just before noon.
Blu was exploring all of the different nooks and crannies in the boat, just for something to do. As he walked along the second deck, he could hear the subtle sound of a guitar's strings being plucked. Passing a corner. Blu noticed the door to the captain's room was open. He slowly moved his head up to look at the captain of the boat, who was dressed in white sailor clothing and hat. His eyes met Blu's for a few seconds, before Blu turned his head again and moved on. The captain shrugged his shoulders.
Over on the other side of the boat, Felipe was gritting his beak, trying to hit that nut harder and harder to send it flying into the metal hull of the boat. Every time it hit the side, it pinged back to where Felipe was standing, ready for another kick. Felipe was trying to do what Blu showed Roberto yesterday: applying spin onto the nut so it would curve through the air and hit the corner of the hull. A few birds had taken up watching.
Felipe slammed his talon into the nut once more. To his frustration, it flew straight, and hit the hull dead center with a loud 'clang', and bounced back to him. Felipe grunted, and send it flying again, this time hitting the bottom-right of it. The nut soared into the air and curved left - heading straight for Blu's head.
''Uh-oh.'' Felipe gasped. ''Blu, caref--''
Too late. Blu didn't get the time to look up when the nut hit his face and ricocheted off into the river. The observing birds winced.
''OW!'' Blu exclaimed, rubbing his beak where the nut had hit him. ''Okay, who threw that?!'' He demanded.
''Sorry, Blu!'' Felipe called up to him. ''My bad!''
Blu glanced at Felipe as he flew over to where he was standing.
''For one, watch what you're doing,'' Blu began sternly, ''And two...'' He paused to have a look around. ''What exactly are you doing?''
''Training,'' Felipe answered, before turning his attention to another Scarlet Macaw who was watching from the top deck. ''Hey! Joshua! Wing another one down here, please?''
''Got it! Hold on a sec!'' The macaw named Joshua turned and disappeared out of sight. Blu looked at Felipe in curiosity.
''Is he your friend?''
''Yep,'' Felipe replied, tapping his talon on the floor as he waited. ''He's heading up to Manaus just to see a few friends, then he'll be back home before dark.''
''Hey!'' Joshua had returned, clutching a small nut in one of his wings. ''Catch!''
He threw it down below and the nut landed on the bottom deck, rolling to where Blu and Felipe were. The latter flicked it up in the air with his talons, and started to play some keepy-uppy, bouncing the nut off different parts of his body as Blu and the other birds resumed watching.
''Where's he getting all those nuts?'' Blu asked, pointing to Joshua behind him.
''Food cabinet,'' Felipe said, not moving head nor eyes. Blu sighed.
''Really? Stealing from humans?''
''Don't worry, we'll put them back once I'm done with them. So it's more 'borrowing' in a way.'' Felipe paused, then shouted: ''All right, watch this one!''
Felipe lobbed the nut straight into the air, which soared up a few metres, then back down. Just as it was about to hit the ground, Felipe attempted an overhead kick, twisting his body around so the talon would collide with the nut. However, he fluffed it pretty badly, having not done it quick enough. The nut flew straight, hit the top of the railing with a loud 'ping', then bounced off into the water below. Felipe slapped his chest with his wing in frustration.
''Joshua, hate to ask man, but...''
''Save some for the others, why don't you...'' Joshua tutted. ''Alright, gimme a sec.''
''At the rate you're going through them, I hardly think it's borrowing.'' Blu commented.
''Figured as much.'' Felipe said. ''Um... How about 'take and return' then?''
''Not even close, I don't think. Keep tryi--''
Blu stopped. Take and return?
''Hm?'' Felipe looked at a spaced out Blu. ''You okay?'
Blu snapped back into his surroundings.
''Huh? Oh, I'm fine, I'm fine.''
''Well, if you say so...''
As Felipe began to play with the nut that Joshua had just thrown down for him, Blu wandered off again, thinking about the suggestion that Felipe had just came up with. 'Take and return'... That sounded like... sounded like that Green-winged macaw he and his friends once knew... What was his name... Wasn't it Ar--
''Ahem.''
Blu's stream of thoughts were interrupted, and he spun around to see Eduardo leaning up against the wall.
''Oh.'' Blu cleared his throat. ''Hello, sir.''
''Do you really insist in calling me that all of the time?'' Eduardo chuckled, giving his son-in-law's shoulder a shake. His facial expression then, all of a sudden, changed to a more serious one. ''If you're not busy at all, I'd like to talk to you about something.''
''Sure. Go on.''
Eduardo flew up to the railing and sat down, his talons gripping the metal and wood, and gestured to Blu for him to join him.
''So, what's on your mind?'' Blu asked. Eduardo turned his gaze to the jungle that was rolling by.
''Ten months ago, when we were fighting against those loggers, there was another bird involved in the conflict. But not to fight them. To fight you.''
Blu shuddered. Him.
''The way he talked to you... I think you know him.''
Blu shut his eyelids and squeezed them hard, remembering this cruel bird, before opening them.
''His name's Nigel.'' Blu began. ''White cockatoo. About two years ago, when I first came to Rio De Janeiro, I met Jewel. She... didn't entirely trust me or humans at first. But considering what she's been through, it makes sense. One night while we were sleeping, we... were captured. By him.''
''My Jewel, encaged?'' Eduardo gasped.
''Yes. Nigel was working for a gang of human smugglers back then. Said something about being robbed of his previous line of work, so he betrayed all of his kind. We got away though, but the smugglers had put a chain on us so we would stand out when they were looking for us. The next day, we were trying to break our chain when we were introduced to Raphael, Nico, Pedro and Luiz.''
Eduardo shifted his view to the trio of birds that were Raphael, Nico and Pedro, whom appeared to be rehearsing for a performance of some sort.
''Those three helped you out?''
''In more ways than one. We broke the chain, but Jewel was then captured by Nigel. We went after her, but fell into a trap Nigel had set for us. We were loaded onto a plane and was going to be flown out of the city, but I managed to escape my cage and free the others.''
''...The 'Plane Breakout'...'' Eduardo mumbled. Blu raised his eyebrows.
''You heard?''
Eduardo nodded.
''You were the two? The two me and the others heard so much about?''
''Yeah. Hold on though, I'm not quite done. As the birds escaped to their freedom, I realized I couldn't follow. Jewel did tell you that I didn't have the ability to fly back then?''
''She did. Must've set you back quite a bit.''
Blu shrugged.
''I lived with it. Anyway, Nigel burst in while we were the last two on the plane, and broke Jewel's wing. I sent Nigel packing after that, but the planewas going down and Jewel was thrown out. I went after her, despite not being able to fly. And then...'' Blu paused to examine his wings. ''It just... came to me. The ability of flight. Using it, I saved Jewel from a watery grave, and dropped her off at the aviary so Linda and Tulio could fix her wing up.''
''And what of Nigel?''
''Never saw him again until about a year later. That's another story in itself. Remind me to tell you about it sometime.''
Eduardo crossed his wings.
''You've got more experience than I thought.'' He said, making it sound like a compliment.
''I don't want to fight. I didn't even know I'd become this famous in the country.'' Blu shut his eyes again, and said in a dramatic voice: ''The Blue Spix Macaw...''
''We all have to throw ourselves into a conflict at one point or another. Whether it be by choice or by force. I think it was the latter for all of us.''
''Hm.''
There was a small silence that ensued, eventually broken by Eduardo:
''There's still one thing I don't understand in amongst it all.''
''What's that?''
''When the loggers came two decades ago, and I lost Jewel, we were all under the assumption that it was because the humans betrayed us. Reason for this is because last time we were in Manaus back then, we recieved official word that the humans were attempting to protect what belonged to us. Yet the loggers still came.''
''The answer to that one is quite simple. While there are humans in the world, there's good and bad humans. Like smugglers, bad humans will resort to any means necessary to get what they usually want: Logging, for instance. And the kind that they did... It was illegal. Not permitted under general circumstances.''
''So why didn't the humans try and stop them?''
''Bad humans can also be quite crafty. The spot of the jungle that we live in is probably uncharted, and therefore, not known to everyone.''
''I see. It's starting to make sense. But what if the good humans did find out?''
''Well, when we first got here, Linda and Tulio soon found out. But the loggers found out that their progress was being attempted to be halted. Luckily, I managed to persuade you and the others to take the fight to them. Just as we are hostile to those who try to take away what belongs to us, good and bad humans are also at conflict with each other. The good humans fight for an everlasting peace. But so long as one single bad human remains, I don't think the conflict will end.''
''And it's the same between you and Nigel?''
Blu nodded.
''Someone once told me that the war between us and Nigel wil last a very long time. Sure, we may not see each other every day, but despite this fact, we remain enemies. He wants to kill me for what I did to him during the Plane Breakout. I unwillingly robbed his ability to fly.''
''Sounds like a fair reason. And you? What reason do you have to kill him?''
''Eduardo, I'm not a savage. Or a killer. I'm only seeking a quiet life with Jewel, our friends and our family.''
''If you really are in this together then... If you and Nigel see each other again... We protect our own. We'll all be by yours and Jewel's side.''
''Thanks.''
Blu and Eduardo turned their attention to a little show that Roberto was putting on, singing in front of a small of birds - Jewel included.

Manaus: The Gateway to the Amazon, the northern-most city in Brazil, the 3rd most populated place in the country, and a beacon of jungle life. This city wasn't usually too big a tourist place amongst birds, but ever since the wildlife's victory over the loggers, many animals - birds and otherwise - from the surrounding area - and even from across the border - have flocked here to see the city and the jungle, and hear the stories it has to offer.
As the riverboat pulled into the dockyard, blaring its horn, Blu, Jewel, Carla, Bia and Tiago looked out over the railing to see the city before them.
''Well, here we are,'' Jewel beamed. Blu looked around at the crowd of birds who had also noticed the boat arriving at its destination. Some of them began to fly off, while others waited for their acquaintances and friends to get ready. Felipe and Joshua said a quick 'see you soon' to each other, before Joshua flew off. Felipe waited for Roberto, Eduardo, Mimi, Nico, Eva, Pedro and Raphael to finish up what they were doing before he headed over to Blu's family.
''So what're we doing here again?'' Bia asked.
''Grab some supplies, check we know where we're going;'' Raphael answered, looking at Blu, who cleared his throat nervously. First time they headed to the Amazon, Blu lead them astray in more than one occasion. But that's what you get for trusting an automated voice programmed into a GPS.
''Don't forget I'm looking for my friend too,'' Eduardo reminded.
''Well, d'you have any idea where he is then?'' Felipe butted in. ''...There. See? You don't know.''
''Shut it,'' Eduardo snapped to him, before continuing to the others. ''He's usually over by the theatre district on a day like this. Even though it's been ages since I last saw him, he did tell me about his plans to live in that part of town.''
''We'll go with you,'' Blu said, motioning to himself, Jewel, their kids and Roberto. ''Nico, Pedro, Rapphie, wanna come with?''
''Sorry buddy, but we gotta find Luiz. He's been itching to get out of the city for a long time, and this could be his chance, so we're gonna see if he wants in.'' Raphael explained.
''Is he that bulldog you keep telling me about?'' Eduardo asked.
''Yeah. You wanna watch yourself around him though, he slobbers like crazy.'' Eva warned him.
''I'll go with you.'' Felipe said to Raphael, sensing that if he was going to be Eduardo for this period of time, he would blow up in his face. So much as he loved to joke about him, he knew where to draw the line.
''No prob. Oh, we are we going to meet up when we're all ready?''
''How about on the roof on the soccer stadium?'' Blu suggested. ''From what I read, that place has got the best view of the town, so we can see each other coming from miles off.''
One by one, the birds agreed.
''Alright then. We'll meet all of you back here in a few hours!'' Nico said, as he flew off with Pedro, Eva, Raphael and Felipe to find Luiz.
''Lead the way, Dad.'' Jewel said. ''Kids, stay close.''
The macaws followed Eduardo to the theatre district of Manaus, where the Amazonas Theater lies. Right now, on a fairly normal day like this one, many humans passed through the little plaza that was in front of the main building, as well as many different birds. The group touched down on the grass.
''So where's your friend then?'' Mimi asked. Eduardo scanned the place for any signs of an extra Blue Spix Macaw who was passing through, or resting on one of the benches here. He then saw a little gathering of birds on one of the said benches.
''Ah. Let's look over here...''
As they approached, Eduardo and Blu got a better look at this blue macaw, who was putting on a little show for the gathered birds here. This one had a singing voice that managed to rival Roberto's.
''Wow, he's good.'' Carla remarked. ''I thought Rob sounded good, but this...''
Roberto looked sternly at Carla for a few seconds. Carla noticed and exclaimed.
''Oh, er, no offence!'' She quickly added. Roberto grunted and turned his attention back to the singing macaw. Just who was this guy?
The performing macaw wrapped up his song by singing one last four-line verse, with a relaxed, soprano-like voice:

A silent heart ticking under the ground
Taking the weight from which has yet to be found
If you can hear me now, why don't you recall?
I was the one who cared after all...

The watching crowd applauded and cheered as the macaw dropped down from the bench and took a bow.
''Just as good as I remember,'' Eduardo chuckled. ''Let's go say hello.''
''Thanks guys, I'm here all Friday long!'' The macaw waved to his fans, before turning and heading off into Eduardo's direction, not watching where he was going because he was busy watching the sights.
''Great weather.'' He thought aloud. As he and Eduardo went past each other, the latter suddenly turned and firmly planted a wing on the bird's shoulder.
''Hey, what the--'' The macaw snapped out of his daydream to see who had just grabbed him. His face dropped. ''Mio Dios. E...Eduardo?''
''That's me all right,'' Eduardo laughed. ''How ya doing buddy?''
Both birds laughed and shared a quick hug.
''I always thought you were gonna come back after...'' Eduardo hesitated. ''...What happened.''
''I couldn't. This is why.''
The macaw pointed to his beak, and for the first time, the flock noticed that the end of this guy's beak was missing. Instead, a small, thin piece of wire was protuding from it, like a makeshift beak. Blu grimaced.
''That looks freaky,'' Jewel remarked.
''I know.'' The macaw muttered, bending it a little with one of his wings.
''So, how's life been, Marco?'' Eduardo asked.
''Please, please, you know perfectly well to call me by my nickname these days.''
''And what is it?'' Roberto asked. ''Your nickname, that is?''
''Quite simply? It's 'Wire'. I think the reason why is evident.''
''Okay them, Wire,'' Roberto said cautiously. ''Can I ask just how long you've been singing for? 'Cause we heard you putting on a show when we arrived.
''Oh, a few years now.'' Wire answered, sounding modest. ''It gives me a little living. Even without my beak, I can still perform quite well. In fact, I've overheard some birds saying that I'm actually the best singer this side of Manaus...''
Roberto scowled at this. If he was a great singer, then why wasn't he somewhere else so he could do bigger performances?
''I think you have a new contender in the form of me then.'' He piped up.
''You?'' Wire looked at Roberto, shooting him a look of disbelief. ''Let's hear something, then...''
Roberto took up this challenge by taking a deep breath, and then holding a pitch-perfect note for a very long time. When he was done, both Wire and Jewel applauded.
''Wow. You're pretty good.''
''Oh, I think 'pretty good' is an understatement.'' Blu said. ''He's our lead singer back home.''
''Erm... Can I ask what this is supposed to be leading to? Are you challenging me to a sing-off?'' Wire asked.
''Maybe. That depends. The main I reason we came and found you is this: Me and the boys are preparing for a vacation to Rio De Janeiro, and we want to see if you want to come along.''
''Rio!?'' Wire gasped, before sighing. ''I'd love to, but there's this song I loved so much that game from that place; I've forgotten the lyrics, and I'm gonna feel like such a disgrace if I go there without remembering them...''
''What song's that?''
''You ever heard of 'Real In Rio'?''
''Oh, that song?'' Blu grinned. ''Don't sweat it, man. We can teach them to you.''
''You'd do that? Well, 'obrigado' to you then.''
'' 'Obrigado'?'' Blu repeated, turning to the others for an explanation.
''It's Portugese for 'Thank you'.'' Jewel stated.
''Ah. Well then, our pleasure. A bird's gotta have these things memorised.''

Raphael, Nico, Pedro, Eva and Felipe picked their way through the gradually thinning streets of Manaus, as they headed to the back of the city, with Rapphie leading the way. Felipe had no idea which part of town they were now in, but followed nethertheless.
''Why couldn't we just fly? It would've been easier and quicker.'' He suggested.
''I can only remember an approximative place. If this was Rio, then I would be able to remember the exact location. But this isn't Rio.'' Raphael explained, turning right at a T-junction. Felipe shrugged, and turned his head to catch Nico staring at him as the canary flew along.
''That's the eighth time I've caught you looking at me. Can you stop?''
''Sorry, but...'' Nico paused, cocking his head to one side. ''You just... remind me of someone.''
''I do? Who?''
''We had a friend back in Rio a coupla years ago,'' Pedro explained, hanging back so he could join in the conversation. ''She was a mastermind with music, and I'm not saying it for the sake of saying it. Really. She was amazing.''
''That good, hm?'' Felipe commented. ''What was her name then? I might look her up when we get there.''
''Her name was... was...'' Nico began, but paused when he wasn't able to remember. He sighed. ''Sorry. I can't believe it's slipped my mind.''
Nico punched himself in the head with the wing for having forgotten.
''Wasn't it Cle--'' Pedro began, but Raphael cut them off.
''Ah! Here we are!'' He announced, as he and the birds came to a stop outside a garage. The place seemed open, but old and run-down.
''Um... THIS is where he lives?'' Felipe said. ''Doesn't look like much.''
''And it isn't. But you don't need much when you're a bulldog.'' Pedro told him, following Rapphie inside.
''Hello?! ...Luiz? Buddy, you here?''
There was no answer, apart from Raphael's voice echoing off of the walls.
''You sure he's here?''
''Always is on a Friday. Let's look around...''
The birds split up and examined the seemingly empty garage. Raphael and Eva's kids examined the workbench, Nico checked the wheelless car that was on a jack in the middle, and Pedro checked upstairs.
''No one up here,'' He stated, flying back down. A noise then came from the trunk of the car, followed by a loud snore. Raphael rolled his eyes.
''That'll be Kipo. Man, he loves to sleep...'' He grunted, hopping over to the trunk and tried to open it. It wouldn't budge with just his strength.
''Felipe, get that crowbar off the workbench please, and help me get this open.''
''You got it.'' Felipe flew over to the workbench, grabbed the long red crowbar in his talons, and brought it to Raphael.
''Here.''
Rapphie took one end of it and inserted it into the small gap between the trunk and the outside of the car.
''On three. One... two... three!''
Raphael and Felipe heaved down on the other end of the crowbar, which popped open after a few seconds of effort. Eva, Nico and Pedro flew up to see who was taking a nap. Inside was a sleeping spoonbill.
''Huunnnghhh... Huh?'' One of his green eyes flickered open to notice the group of birds in front of him. He yawned.
''Hey Rapphie.'' He said, sounding like he was talking in his dream. ''Come back in a while, I'm having a lay-in here...''
The spoonbill was about to nod back off when Felipe gave him a violent shake.
''YAH! Alright, I'm up, I'm up!''
He jumped up and lurched forward, falling out of the trunk and tumbling to the floor with a crash. Felipe sniggered. If that shake didn't wake him up, that certainly did.
''If you're gonna sleep, Kipo, then do it during the night.'' Nico said, flying down and landing on Kipo's shoulder.
''Wait.'' Kipo paused, looking up at the clock hanging on the wall. 1 'o clock. He gasped. ''Agh! I overslept!''
Kipo heaved himself up onto his long duck-like legs - banging his head on the underside of the car in the process - and turned to face the birds.
''You sleep well?'' Felipe shot at him, before chuckling to himself.
''No thanks to you shaking me up a little, that is,'' Kipo retorted. Felipe noticed the distinct accent in this guy's voice.
Kipo was a spoonbill - a sort of flamingo, but with a plumage that edges more towards white than pink, and with shorter feathers. This particular bird originally hailed from Rio, and even lent a helping wing into getting Blu and Jewel out of a sticky situation in the market a few years back when some mischeavious monkeys were after them. When all of his friends moved to the Amazon rainforest, Luiz was left behind - and Kipo had to carry the dog all the way across Brazil to Manaus.
''Either get a cab next time, or get another spoonbill to move you,'' He told Luiz at the end of it. ''I'm not doing all of your dirty work.''
Kipo now leaves in Manaus, but frequently makes trips to far-off places, making a living doing some courrier services here and there.
''Haven't seen Luiz now, have you?'' Eva asked.
''Went to stock up on food earlier,'' Kipo answered, stretching his wings and yawning again. ''He should be back soon.''
''Fair enough. We can wait around for a bit.''
''So, what've you been up to?''
''Had to go across the border a few days ago to deliver a massive order of water bottles. Man, that tired me out.'' Kipo said. ''Been resting up for my own good these past couple of days.''
''Ah. That would explain the sleeping?'' Felipe asked. Kipo nodded, before turning to the entrance of the garage.
''Luiz is back!'' He said to the others. Raphael turned around to see a bulldog shimmying backwards towards them, holding a plastic bag in his drooling mouth, leaving a disgusting trail of slobber behind him as he went.
''Ew. Wouldn't want to have what he's having at dinner if he's the one serving.'' Felipe muttered, before smiling at his own joke.
''Hey, Luiz!'' Rapphie waved at him. Luiz let go of the bag at hearing this and jumped around to see the toucan.
''Rapphie!'' He exclaimed, running forward to meet him half-way and give him a hug. Instead, he found himself pinning Raphael to the floor with his weight.
''Ow! Luiz, get off, you're crushing me!'' Raphael cried out, his voice muffled under Luiz's body, much to the amusement of the others. When Luiz eventually got off of him, his black plumage was drenched.
''I washed only this morning, and I'm dirty again...'' He whined.
''Charming,'' Nico simply said to Pedro, whom bumped wings.
''Don't you ever do anything to get rid of that?'' Eva asked, referring to Luiz's drooling condition.
''If there is, I ain't heard of it.'' Luiz said sadly. ''But I've been like this for years, so I'm used to it. Anyway, you needed somethin', Rapphie?''
''We're getting ready for a vacaction to Rio. Right now, as a matter of fact.''
''You guys are heading back there?!'' Luiz exclaimed.
''...Please don't let make me take him, please don't make me take him...'' Kipo pleaded under his breath, not wanting to wreck his stamina having to take another heavy load in such a short period of time.
''I wanna come! Kipo can take with you all!''
Kipo slumped, defeated.
''Ugh... Fine... Raphael, I want you to make someone else carry him back when we're done though.''
''We'll find someone, so don't worry. It's a deal.'' Raphael nodded. ''We'll meet you on the roof of the stadium in a couple of hours, that okay for you two?''
Kipo and Luiz nodded.
''Great! Okay, later amigoes!''
Raphael turned and flew out of the garage, followed closely by Nico, Pedro, Felipe, and Eva and their kids. When they were gone, Kipo turned to Luiz and started at him resentfully.
''I got a feeling you did that on purpose. Are you trying to knacker me out or something?''
''You'll thank me later.'' Luiz replied with a grin.
''Why will I? In any case, I'm gonna have one last nap before we head out. This time, DON'T wake me.''

On the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, somewhere between Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro, off of the busy tarmac roads, Clearwater was walking through the forest, keeping her head bowed low. She never got the chance to come here, given everything that had happened a couple of years ago. Now that she had the chance, she slipped out while Ara was looking the other way, with him thinking she was visiting a friend out of town. What Clear was really doing though... She stopped, sighed, then continued walking. Pushing back a branch, she emerged into an empty clearing. In the dead center of it were two rectangular mounds of dirt.
These were the graves of the parents of Clearwater and Alice.
Above this place, around ten years ago, a terrible event occured; one which left both Green-winged macaws scarred for life, and Clearwater self-exiling herself to Rio.
Clear slowly approached one of the mounds, sat down next to it and began to caress it with her wing.
''Hey Mom,'' She murmured, then turned to the other mound. ''Dad,'' She added. ''Sorry I haven't visited sooner. I... just wasn't able to.''
Clear paused, then sighed again. ''I have no idea whether you're proud of ashamed of me, after what happened...''
''I let him go. Because he saved my friend. And not because it was a ruse. I knew that for once, he did a good thing.''
Clearwater stayed silent for a while, the noise of the cars on the road echoing all the way to where she was.
''If I knew that he would've betrayed us all, I would have forgiven him wholeheartedly for what he did. B...But... h-h-he k-killed you...''
Clear broke down and started sobbing. Her parents loved her and Alice when they was young. And she had no idea that, if the afterlife ever existed, they knew what their daughter had been thrown into, and what they thought of her. She failed her promise to take her revenge on him for killing her parents. And not just him... That other macaw who was at his side all that time. But that one was dead. Crushed. And he wasn't even aware of it. Those two... So many innocent lives were ruined at their wings - and some even taken from them. Clear and Alice's parents were two who were unfortunate enough to be in the latter category.
''If he EVER comes back here... I promise this time. He will suffer the same pain you did.'' Clearwater firmly said, feeling the anger and rage building up inside her. ''He will...'' She repeated under her breath.
''Clear?''
Alice had turned up. Clear turned around to see her sister, then turned back to their parent's graves.
''Alice is here, guys.'' Clear said to them, before turning to Alice. ''You just got here?''
Alice shook her head.
''Don't worry. I waited until you had finished having your private moment.''
''They're your parents as much as mine. You could've joined me.''
Alice shook her head again.
''You were the one who was scarred the most. And I wasn't the one who had to suffer being the witness. All I know is what the yellow macaw told me.''
''I never did tell you what happened to him, did I?''
''What? What haven't you told me?''
''He's dead.'' Clear said. Alice hung her beak open, before clearing her throat.
''Are you for real?''
Clear nodded.
''Well, darn...''
The two macaws turned back to their parent's graves.
''Those two... Why...'' Clear sniffed.
''I feel your pain. Really. I do.'' Alice said, putting a wing around her sister's shoulder.

In Manaus, all of the churches of the city began to ring their bells four times, then a further three, signifying that it was three 'o clock. Blu, Jewel, Carla, Bia, Tiago, Eduardo, Roberto, Mimi and Wire were waiting on the massive roof of the soccer stadium for the others so they could begin their journey south.
''Looking forward to it?'' Jewel asked Blu.
''You know I am.'' Blu replied, smiling. Roberto couldn't say that he shared too much of the same enthusiasm, though. Blu had reassured him that it was going to be okay, but even so, he still had his doubts...
''I don't want to have to go through all of that again..'' He muttered.
''Hey, 'Berto, don't worry... It'll be fine. Just stick with us. Blu knows his way around humans.''
''So he told me.''
Soon after, Raphael, Eva, their kids, Nico, Pedro, Felipe and Kipo (Who was carrying Luiz) had turned up. Blu sighed and groaned, then burst into laughter.
''Don't tell me you're going to be carrying him like that for the whole way!'' He grinned at Kipo.
''You keep telling me that. You're not the one who has to carry this guy's butt for nearly 2000 miles.''
''Oh, we can all pitch in and make some effort, can't we?'' Wire suggested. ''Anyway, are we all ready to go?''
''Yep.''
''Sure am!''
''Yeah!''
Blu smiled, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Out there, two thousand miles south of here, lies a city known all over the world as 'Rio De Janeiro'. That magical place... and they were going back there... Sure, only for a week or so, but still...
''Woohoo! Rio, here we come, baby!'' Nico shouted, launching himself into the air and flying off.
''Let's move it'' Felipe was the next to go, followed by Pedro and Raphael.
''Stay close, kids,'' Jewel said to Carla, Bia and Tiago, as they all flew off. Everyone was looking forward to the journey.
''So, Blu,'' Wire said to him.''You ever been to Rio?''
''What? You haven't heard the tale?''
''What tal--'' Wire paused when he knew which one Blu was referring to. ''Wait... YOU'RE the Blue Spix Macaws everyone keeps talking about?!''
''That's us alright.'' Blu said. ''But as I keep saying: I don't want to live as a legend. Maybe that's how people will remember me, but not how I want to remember myself.''
''That's... understandable, I suppose.'' 
''Now, can I ask you something?''
''Sure. Shoot.''
''What happened to you and your beak?'' Blu asked. Wire sighed, and fidgeted with the wire on the end of his beak again.
''Lost it in the forest fire long ago.'' He explained, his eyelids drooping over him. It was clear that the experience hurt him just as much as it did the others. ''When the loggers came, and every one of us were fleeing, I realized that is we just retreated to further in the jungle, the loggers would still come after us no matter what. For me, going deeper was a bad move.''
''What do you mean?'' Eduardo protested. ''We had no other placer to go BUT deeper in!''
''And deeper was where the loggers would continue to strike.'' Wire quickly added. ''No, for me, getting out was better for a few reasons. One of them was so that way, I would be able to go to Manaus, keep some tabs on the humans, see where and when the loggers would come back, then I would be able to come and warn you.''
''So why didn't you ever show up after the fire then?''
Wire sighed. Time for the most painful part.
''While I was trying to escape, I made the bad mistake of not watching where I was going, and a chunk of wood smashed out of nowhere and hit me head-first, and the force slammed me beak-first into a nearby tree. When I came to, I... saw... lying on the ground next to me... I put my wing up to my beak, and it was gone...''
Wire took in a deep breath to try and calm himself.
''The next day, flew to Manaus and settled in there, recovering from the hell that we all went through. I didn't know how many had died in that blaze, and if Eduardo and the others were still alive. I decided not to go back to the Amazon without my beak, otherwise I would've looked like an utter disgrace. I got myself a little part-time job as a performer in the market, as well as help out in general. The guys quite liked me, but I couldn't help but feel they were mocking me behind my back... I went to look for the best substitute I could have. And that's where I came across this wire  which was lying on the ground.''
Wire pointed to the 'beak'. ''Wasn't going to give back what I once had, but for me, it's more than enough.''
''Did you ever keep the bit that snapped off?'' Kipo asked.
''It's right here.'' Wire grabbed something small and bone-like from the underside of his wing and showed it to the others. Blu murmured, then came up with an idea.
''I know this human in Rio named Tulio. He really knows his way around birds and how to fix them up. Maybe if we showed you to him, he can find a way to put that beak bck on for you.''
''Thanks, but no thanks Blu. I'm more than used to this now.''
Wire looked straight behind him. The distant city of Manaus was fading away into the horizon. The birds were well and truly now on the road to Rio...

December the 3rd 

Kipo set Luiz down with a strain of effort after a full afternoon of flying of having to carry him around. He groaned, stretching his wings and feet, to release the stress built up inside them.
''I need a walk, stretch my legs,'' He yawned.
''I'll go with you, same here.'' Raphael added, going with Kipo.
The flock were huddled down on the roof of a countryside house, planning to stay here overnight. The pitch black sky shone full of white, gleaming stars. Carla, Bia and Tiago had taken up watching them.
''Just look at them all,'' Bia said. ''Breathtaking.''
''You ever tried counting them all?'' Carla asked.
''I tried once,'' Their father came over and sat down. ''But... I lose count.'' Blu added with a chuckle. ''I think I got to something like two hundred thousand though...''
Tiago made a noise of amazement.
''That many? Wow...''
''Heh, I know right? All the more perplexing for the humans to see what lies out there, beyond the stars and see what's on the surface of the other planets out there.''
''Planets?'' Roberto overheard. ''Y'mean there's... more than one than the one we're on?''
''Quite right. There's 8 main planets in the galaxy we live in: Mercury, Venus, Earth - the one we're on - Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus. Make that 9 if Pluto counted as a planet, but it's not these days.''
''Why not?'' Felipe asked.
''Too small,'' Blu answered, smiling. Carla let out an 'ah'.
''And before any of you ask about how I know these things, I studied a lot back in Minnesota. I haven't forgotten anything I learned. But, saying that, I think Bia here's the more knowledgable one.''
Bia smiled and chuckled.

Brasilia, December the 5th

The flock were now just over halfway in their journey to Rio De Janeiro. Even high in the sky, they could hear all of the church bells ring. It was midday, and Kipo was starving for food.
''Can we stop a sec?'' He asked, panting for breath. ''I'm starting to slow down here, I need to eat...''
Blu's stomach growled at him as well. They had been flying for six hours straight, ever since the crack of dawn...
''A break is then. 'Sides, I need to eat myself,'' He said. Noticing that there was a small market close to where they were. Blu guided them towards it, then landed in it. Since it was lunchtime, the place was fairly quiet. Eduardo noticed this.
''Is it usually this empty? If so, doesn't look like much...''
''I know. Despite being the capital of Brazil, Brasilia only houses half a million humans. A pittance compared to how many humans live in places like Rio De Janeiro and Sao Pa--''
Blu stopped mid-sentence. Sao Paulo...? Wasn't that where...
''...Huh?'' Tiago looked up from talking with his sisters to see that his father was just standing there, his beak hanging open. ''Um, Dad? ...You okay?''
''Huh? Oh... I'm fine.'' Blu muttered.
''You sure, honey?'' Jewel asked, placing a wing om Blu's shoulder.
''Sure I'm fine. Just thinking.'' Blu placed his thoughts into the back of his mind. ''How about we get something to eat?''
''You guys go fill yourselves.'' Raphael said, getting up. Nico and Pedro followed suit.
''Hey, where you going?''
''To rehearse.''
''Ah.'' Eduardo said, before adding: ''You know, you've been doing that non-stop over these past couple of days. What gives? You planning a fiesta when we get there?''
''I forgot to mention, didn't I?'' Raphael turned around. ''When Blu told us about the plan to go to Rio, I sent a friend of mine to fly non-stop to Rio and tell everyone that we're organising a big welcoming party. Straight from the Amazon.'' Raphael began to turn away, but quickly said to Blu and Jewel: ''Oh, and don't worry you two, I've respected your privacy by not telling them that you two are coming back. I'm sure you want a quiet vacation, right?''
''You didn't have to leave us out. We'd love to party a little too.''
''Then I can perhaps keep your presence as a suprise to all of the birds in Rio...'' Raphael sniggered, holding up the tip of his wing to Blu and Jewel in a 'just-you-wait' kind of fashion. ''...Can we go now? C'mon boys.''
''Be right there,'' Nico mumbled, forcing what was left of his nuts into his beak and began to chomp as fast as he could. When he finally forced it down his gullet, Nico flew off to catch up to Rapphie and Pedro. When they were gone, Eduardo grunted.
''I'm gonna speak my mind here and say that the only surprises I ever liked in life were the ones I knew were gonna come.'' He said sternly.
''That's only because of what happened, and when you lost me, Dad.'' Jewel said to him. ''Me and Blu hate complications and bad surprises as much as the next bird, but after what we've all been through during all this time, we've gotten used to it.''
''I can vouch for Ju-Ju.'' Roberto added. ''I mean, she does look like the adventurious type.''
''Aw, thanks!'' Jewel tried not to blush. Blu did a double take, first looking at Jewel, then at Roberto.
''You really think so?'' Blu asked.
''Can't you see it?''
''Well... See, no. But know, yes.''
An awkward silence manifested, with half the flock looking at Blu and the other half at Roberto. Blu cleared his throat.
''But erm, you knew Jewel before I did, so I suppose it only makes sense. I've known her for.. how long now? Four years?''
''Three.'' Jewel corrected Blu.
''...Wait. Three years?'' Roberto cut in, paused while he thought, then suddenly cried out in frustration. ''You gotta be kidding me? That's twice in a row that Blu's gotten one over me!''
The birds roared into laughter, none more so than Eduardo.
''Well, how long have you known Jewel then?'' Wire asked.
''Before the fire? ...Only a year.''
''Oh.'' The ambiance instantly changed into a more solemn one. ''If that's the case, it's not a fair victory then.'' Blu said.
''I guess fate played its wing to us.''
Silence ensued. Wire then broke it by saying to Roberto:
''Hey, I figure if I get one more over on you at the party in Rio, I think you're gonna be well peeved.''
''Is that a challenge?'' Rob grunted, leaning his head closer to Wire's.
''Sure is.''
''...Then you're on.'' Roberto ended with a laugh. ''Go on. Name the song.''
''Alright then...'' Wire thought it over. ''How about 'Summit'?''
''What the--'' Roberto was taken aback. ''Okay, first, I don't know the lyrics, and second, I don't even know that song!''
Wire rolled his eyes, took a deep breath, and began to sing that four-line verse he sang in Manaus a few days ago:

A silent heart ticking under the ground
Taking the weight from which has yet to be found
If you can hear me now, why don't you recall?
I was the one who cared after all...

Wire's brief performance earned the applause of several birds who were passing by. He smiled and took a bow.
''Whaddya think?''
''Erm... Are those the only lyrics in that song?''
''More or less.''
''I'll need something harder than that. Either something we both know, or we both don't know.''
The two Spix Macaws batted back and forth between suggestions for a short while, without sucess. Blu snapped his wing.
''I've got it!''
''What is it?'' Felipe asked. Blu got up and cupped his wings to his beak.
''Hey, Rapphie! Come over here as sec please!''
Raphael promptly flew over.
''What's up?''
''Wire and Rob here are trying to pick a son for a little sing-off they wanna do at the party. And I just came up with a great idea.
''Go on.''
''Alright. Now, what should every bird know if they ever plan on visiting or moving to Rio?''
''The lyrics,'' Raphael answered, ''To that... song...''
''What song?'' Blu asked in conclusion, the answer as clear as daylight.
'' 'Real in Rio' !'' Jewel, Raphael and Wire exclaimed in unison.
''Wait, wait. Didn't Wire say he knew it?''
''Once. But I've forgotten the lyrics.''
''Then here's what I propose: When we get a little closer to Rio, I coach Roberto and Wire seperately, teaching them the lyrics. Then, once we get to the party, they can let loose at each other and see who's better.''
''We're gonna need sone judges, mind.'' Bia said. Raphael turned his attention to Carla.
''Wanna be a judge?'' He asked, knowing of her love for music.
''I'd love to!'' Carla jumped at the offer.
''That's one... Rapphie, everyone in Rio respects you, so you can be second judge.. We'll need one more though. Anyone want the offer?''
All of the birds rejected it, not having enough knowledge about music.
''Hm. I'll have to get in touch with my friends and see who wants the spot.''
''We'll find someone. It's Rio. Right?'' Eva added.
''True enough.'' Blu affirmed. ''If you guys are done, I vote we get a move on.''
''Yeah, I'm ready.''
''Good to go.'' Raphael said. ''HEY! Nico! Pedro! We're on the move!''
''Comin!''
All of the birds headed back up into the aire and resumed their journey. Kipo sighed and grabbed Luiz with his talons.
''Come on, you.'' He muttered, shifting Luiz as far up his legs possible so he wouldn't suddenly slip out.

''Hey, Ara!'' Clear shouted. ''You nearly ready or what!?''
''Almost!'' Aras shouted back. ''I forgot something!''
''Well hurry up! We leave in ten!''
Ara shook his head in disbelief and growled at himself.
''How the heck could I forget to grab somethin' to eat...'' He muttered, dashing to Mercado Municipal for some last minute borrowing. He wasn't planning on hitting the skies without a full stomach, that's for sure!
Along the way, Ara nearly collided with Manu.
''Hey, watch where you're going!'' He exclaimed, jumping to the side. Upon noticing it was Ara, he did a double take. ''Hey, where you going? I thought you were wi--''
''I know, I know, I forgot to grab something!'' Ara shouted back to him, skidding around a corner and into the Mercado. Ara grabbed a plastic bag that was lying on the ground and started to fill it up with random pieces of fruit.
''Hey, Ara!'' Sonny's voice shouted up to him. ''The heck are you doing?! I thought you were getting ready!''
''I am! Getting ready, that is!''
Ara finished up filling the bag and flew back to where he came from, struggling a little from the weight he was carrying.
Over in Ibirapuera Park, Clearwater, Alice, Flora and Pablo were checking that they were all ready to go.
''You sure you got everything?'' Clear asked.
''Yep!'' Pablo replied, standing up straight.
''You?'' Clear turned to Flora.
''Of course, Mom!'' She said, beaming. Clear chuckled.
''Well, of course.''
''HEY!'' A voice came from afar. Ara flew up and landed next to his family, gasping for breath. Clear shot him a look, then turned to the bag he was carrying.
''And... what's all this?'' She asked.
''Food,'' Ara huffed.
''You're joking, right?'' Alice guffawed. ''There's no way at all you're gonna be able to carry this for 300-odd kilometres.''
''What are you talking about?'' Manu smirked, appearing out of nowhere. ''I'll carry that for him.''
Manu lifted the bag off of the ground and effortlessly lifted it into the air.
''See?'' He mused. ''No sweat.''
Ara shot Manu a look.
''Anyway, we all here? ...Where's Sonny?''
''He's gonna hitch a ride on some human transport, seeing how he can't fly.'' Manu explained, before looking at the nearby bus that was passing. He laughed. ''Yeah, look, there he is!''
The birds turned to look at where Manu was pointing. On the bus was Sonny, holding onto the side of it with one wing and waving with the other.
Manu waved back.
''Well, shall we?'' He asked.
''Yeah! Let's do it! Let's go to Rio!''
The birds cheered and whooped, as one by one, they spread their wings and flew off into the evening sunset.

Raphael watched the night sky with the edges of a smile beginning to form on his long orange beak. Just one more day, and they would be back in paradise... back to where it all started...
''Looking forward to it?'' Blu asked him.
''You know I am, amigo. You?''
''Can't say I'm not.'' Blu grinned, sitting down next to Rapphie.
''How's it going with Roberto and Wire?''
''They've got it all down. It's up to them to just keep practicing in the little time they have left.''
''Good to hear.''
Raphael stood up, stretched his back and warmed his wings over the chimney of the house they were staying on. All of the other birds were sound asleep. Blu and Rapphie wanted to stay up just a little longer.
''Hey...'' Raphael whispered. ''...You hear that?''
Blu got up and strained his ears.
''Er... Nope. Sorry.'' Blu honestly said, hearing only the sound of the wind in the distance, and the chirping of nocturnal animals.
''Turn your head this way and put a bit of effort into it.''
Blu turned his head to the wing and closed his eyes. At first, nothing. But then, he heard it. It was very faint indeed, but the sound of human chanting and singing in unison was in the distance, as they partied through the night... Could that be coming from Rio?
''I think we're close.'' Blu said. ''I'm suprised.''
''Me too. We made good time; it took us a lot quicker.'' Raphael paused, went 'er' then added: ''But that was only because first time, you and your little GPS thing led us astray.'' He sniggered, clasping a wing on Blu's shoulder.
''How could I have known it wasn't the best solution?'' Blu laughed.

The cockatoo paced back and forth, back and forth for what felt like the billionth time. Patience was a virtue, but even he had a limit on how long he could wait. He was growing frustrated every time he missed a chance to escape because he was no longer capable of doing what most birds could do...
Nine months he'd been waiting. Nine long, hard, tiresome months he'd been waiting for the chance that never came. During this period, he was prodded with a stick, given tasteless berries and crackers to eat, had every single cell and every single feather that was left on his pink skin touched... How much longer were they going to invade on his private space?
His ravaged wings clenched into fists... And he remembered the pair of Blue Spix Macaws who turned his life into misery...

I think we all know who the cockatoo is. But for now, let's act like we don't, for all will soon be revealed... Oh yeah, and the song Wire was singing was the lyrics of 'Summit' by Skrillex.