The SFO Car/Vehicle General Thread

Dr. Orange

There are car people here. Cars are cool. They're fun to talk about.

So This is a vehicle general thread. Topics can stem from what do you like to drive to upgrades and even races or whatever Top Gear drove last week (remember that talking about the show is just for the Picture House). 

Also to keep this place interesting, this thread can be a Driving Helpline for those who don't know jack about what's wrong with their car.

I'll start with myself. I got a '03 Olds Alero. The cherry red and spoiler base version. Thinking about putting new breaks, exhaust, and fixing the engine with a turbo kit.

Be free.

DID SOMEONE SAY AUTOMOTIVE THREAD

bnc.gif

-----

Those late model Aleros were relatively decent cars from what I recall in terms of issues (they weren't falling apart as badly as some of the other GM cars made at the time), and they didn't suffer the horrendous badge engineering that GM pulled with the rest of Oldsmobile's lineup before putting the poor marque out of its misery.  I would love to see some photos, and must advise you that attempting to put new "breaks" on your car might be problematic. :P

I'm a sucker for the gigantic landyacht sedans of yester-year.  Usually throughout the 1970s and a few select models of the 80s are my favorites, and they're generally American-made.   Think Oldsmobile 88s, Cadillac DeVilles/Broughams, Chevrolet Caprices, Dodge Diplomats/Plymouth Gran Furys, Ford LTD Crown Victorias/Lincoln Town Cars/Mercury Grand Marquis, etc.  I will admit that ownership of the aforementioned vehicles can be difficult in a densely packed, Northeast urban city, especially with rust considered, but I will persevere one of these days.  As of the moment I'm automobile-less, but I'll hopefully be amending that in the near future. 

And I wouldn't mind sharing my, albeit limited, knowledge on automotive maintenance.  If this thread gets enough attention I would not be against pinning it.

-----

1983-1989 Plymouth Gran Fury/Dodge Diplomat

88_Plymouth_AHB.jpg

1986-1989 Town Car

8485725466_9febde4c53_o.png

1987-1990 Chevrolet Caprice

EricKurz87Caprice.jpg

1983-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

T6B5rmB.jpg

1988-1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

Ford_LTD_Crown_Victoria_--_02-29-2012.JP

1971-1976 Oldsmobile 88

1971_Oldsmobile_Delta_88_sedan.jpg

1987-1992 Cadillac Brougham

1991_Cadillac_Brougham_gold-edition_blac

Early '70s Cadillac DeVille

Edrington%2074%20Coupe%20deVille.jpg

Edited by OneUnder

I've got a soft spot for older American cars from the '60s-early '70s. The designs were really well thought-out (aethestically speaking), the ridiculously big engines had at least some get-up-and-go, and the general optimism that oozes from their designs is infectious. After the mid-70s up 'til not even a decade ago, honestly could care less. The designs were boring, the build quality was abysmal, the general ethic was tasteless and downright backwards. There were little glimmers of good ideas here and there, like the Buick GNX or Lincoln Mk VIII (dem doors tho), but it was all mostly bland. I will say that as ze Germans continue to fall into creating a gazillion new submodels and trim levels (wtf is a 4 series? Why does a "gran coupe" have 4 doors? Why can't I control my goddamn AC without fucking with the radio?), the Americans are starting to get their act together. And the British continue to be....well, who gives a shit about Jaguar and Bentley anyway?

I'm more of a fan of BMW's, since my parents drive BMWs and Acuras (with the occasional Honda and Mercedes). My first car was a '99 750iL that we'd had since new and served my dad and my brothers well. Wonderful car, although it did try too hard to be a nimble racer when it was really just a big ol' cruiser (kinda like an opera singer putting on spanx to look like a supermodel). Sadly, it gave up the ghost last summer, and I've got my mom's old Acura MDX instead. It's pretty alright, basically a Honda CR-V with moar leatharr, although it's really not my style. I utterly load SUV's, CUV's, and "crossovers", because they're basically everything wrong with upper-middle class suburbia in a car. It doesn't really have the larger-than-life character that the BMW had (ie: understressed V12), but get it up to 2500rpm's and it becomes a bit more playful on the road :P 

Edited by InfinitySquared

I'm a sucker for the gigantic landyacht sedans of yester-year.  Usually throughout the 1970s and a few select models of the 80s are my favorites, and they're generally American-made.   Think Oldsmobile 88s, Cadillac DeVilles/Broughams, Chevrolet Caprices, Dodge Diplomats/Plymouth Gran Furys, Ford LTD Crown Victorias/Lincoln Town Cars/Mercury Grand Marquis, etc.  I will admit that ownership of the aforementioned vehicles can be difficult in a densely packed, Northeast urban city, especially with rust considered, but I will persevere one of these days.  As of the moment I'm automobile-less, but I'll hopefully be amending that in the near future. 

​MMMMmmmm dem yesteryear boxy cars.

My personal favorite is the Buick Grand National 1986. It's got the rev, it's got the power, it's got the feel of Murica. 

31815900020_original.jpg

Plus that jet black look christ this is the car the FBI picked you up in if you were E.T.

• Like 2

​MMMMmmmm dem yesteryear boxy cars.

My personal favorite is the Buick Grand National 1986. It's got the rev, it's got the power, it's got the feel of Murica.

Plus that jet black look christ this is the car the FBI picked you up in if you were E.T.

​+9001 on that point!  Though I will say that I prefer the look of the OEM wheels below.

1987_Buick_Grand_National.jpg

Edited by OneUnder
  • Like 1

All about the 1972 Buick Riviera ('71 and '73 are also acceptable).

maxresdefault.jpg

4633005832_17a71020cd_b.jpg

Also, the king of kings, the 2001 Dodge Viper GTS (ACR also acceptable).

211781d1264222015-2000-dodge-viper-gts-r

Edited by Vydrach

​There's nothing quite like that boat-tail.  The '65 also deserves to be added to the list of desirability IMO.

boyd1965riveria.jpg

Edited by OneUnder

​+9001 on that point!  Though I will say that I prefer the look of the OEM wheels below.

Dem spokes

45-dat-ass.jpg

Also, the king of kings, the 2001 Dodge Viper GTS (ACR also acceptable).

That had one interesting boat tail. Props to GM for the experiment but the viper...

Amazing car design, I love how the hood is like huge, like looking down a horizon but that MpG would kill me.

• Like 1

My dad's first car was a brand new '77 (I guess) Buick Riviera, of which he has no fond reminiscences. It apparently had a nasty tendency to pull violently to one side upon even the slightest acceleration. 

1978_Buick_Riviera.png

FWIW, here's the Infinity family fleet. All of our cars are pimp af

me

2008_acura_mdx_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_8_500

dad

2013-Mercedes-C350-Coupe01-main2_rdax_64 

mom

vw-beetle-02.jpg

2015-audi-a4-tdi-artists-rendering-photo

my older brother

2014-honda-accord-sedan-sport-exterior-s 

My oldest brother

He just takes my mom's Beetle 

We be stylin' :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Only the '71, '72, and '73 Rivieras had the really unique design, the other years were more... standard, as far as looks go. 

ZOMG SOMEBODY STARTED A CAR TOPIC HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG

Lemme see if I can catch up with you guys...

So currently I drive an '08 Ford Focus. I stepped down from an '05 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7T due to the thing falling apart on me faster than I could keep up. It was a great car, and while I don't usually complain about how expensive the repairs and maintenance could be, especially since the car was a little older, the fact was that I needed to get to work on a regular basis, and I couldn't deal with a car that needed to be in the shop every two weeks. So thats why I retreated to something American-made that sips on regular unleaded.

But yeah. The Focus. It is a great car and its fun to whip and weave through traffic when you have road rage. I got it in november of last year and it has had not major issues. And that's the thing though: the cheaper cars are easier and cheaper to take care of, while those european ones will get you fucked up if you don't have your money and priorities together. My advice to anyone who is interested in european cars: you don't have to be outrageously rich to own one of these cars, though some extra money does help. You just need your shit together like I said, make "enough" money (i put that in quotes because its subjective), and do your research before making the jump. Ask mechanics, ask owners, ask google, ask the dealer.

...--Wait, I was talking about the Focus, right?

Its red, has a 2 liter powerplant, 4 doors, cloth seats, and a moonroof. I've come to find out that when I look for a car, its a dealbreaker if it doesnt have a moonroof. It needs a little bit of work done to it, but nothing major.

I also have an '04 Volvo XC90. Its supposed to be getting fixed, but my ugly-ass mechanic is giving me the run-around and he's about to get sued. It broke down like a year ago, and I was able to put it in to get fixed... But that started in January, and its the middle of May right now... Yup, he's getting sued.

oh shit car thread

I got into cars more recently, last two years or so. My taste is basically newer turbos and all the cars I played in various racing games as a kid (NFS: HP, GT3, NFS: U). Throwing out my top 10 cars off the top of my head in no particular order:

1.  Subaru WRX-STI (2006 & 2015)

2. Nissan R34 Skyline (V-Spec II Nur & Z-Tune)

3. Acura/Honda NSX (1995)

4. Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series

5. Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon (2015)

6. C7 Corvette Z06

7. Ferrari F50

8. Toyota Supra (1996)

9. Nissan Fairlady Z Twin-Turbo (300ZX) (1996)

10. Lancia Delta S4

Currently I'm saving up cash for a 2004 Subaru Forester XT Turbo. Spacious and fast as fuck, especially with some STI parts.

Edited by LoneWolf

Only the '71, '72, and '73 Rivieras had the really unique design, the other years were more... standard, as far as looks go. 

​I just find it kinda of amazing how the Riviera went from this

Buick_Riviera.jpg

Beautiful

to this

Buick_Riviera_T-Type_--_10-29-2010.jpg

This is why too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the soup, kids. 

My dad's first car was a brand new '77 (I guess) Buick Riviera, of which he has no fond reminiscences. It apparently had a nasty tendency to pull violently to one side upon even the slightest acceleration. 

1978_Buick_Riviera.png

​10/10 would drive repeatedly, presumably while accelerating and counter-steering.

----------

@Naza

​That generation of Focus always looked intriguing to me.  It wasn't as hideous as the one that came before it (minus the hatchback version, that thing kicked ass), and while not as good looking as the globalized European styled model that came after it, it's still quite serviceable IMO.

----------

@Lonewolf

​Did the '04+ models ever correct the Subaru headgasket issue that seems to plague the earlier models?

----------

@Vydrach

​Though you have to admit that the CRT touchscreen available in the '86-'93 models was pretty awesome. :P

original.jpg

----------

@Infinity

​I'd blame GM being GM for that.  Though the Riviera of the latter year range was far from the worst looking car from that era out there IMO.  I like it for what it is.

Edited by OneUnder
Sorry for that "@" replying. I mutliquoted everything, but while editing the formatting the quotes got deleted and I pressed save. Not my finest hour...
  • Like 1

​10/10 would drive repeatedly, presumably while accelerating and counter-steering.

----------

@Naza

​That generation of Focus always looked intriguing to me.  It wasn't as hideous as the one that came before it (minus the hatchback version, that thing kicked ass), and while not as good looking as the globalized European styled model that came after it, it's still quite serviceable IMO.

----------

@Lonewolf

​Did the '04+ models ever correct the Subaru headgasket issue that seems to plague the earlier models?

----------

@Vydrach

​Though you have to admit that the CRT touchscreen available in the '86-'93 models was pretty awesome. :P

original.jpg

Hidden Content

----------

@Infinity

​I'd blame GM being GM for that.  Though the Riviera of the latter year range was far from the worst looking car from that era out there IMO.

​What the hell? That dinosaur had a touchscreen?

​What the hell? That dinosaur had a touchscreen?

​Yup!  One of the first, if not the first, of its kind in an automobile.  It was capacitive if I recall correctly, and worked relatively well from what I've read. 

Edited by OneUnder

​I just find it kinda of amazing how the Riviera went from this

to this

This is why too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the soup, kids. 

​Woogity woogity it flipped the direction the grill went. I chuckled a bit.

oh shit car thread
(dat list)

I got into cars more recently, last two years or so. My taste is basically newer turbos and all the cars I played in various racing games as a kid (NFS: HP, GT3, NFS: U). Throwing out my top 10 cars off the top of my head in no particular order:
  1.  Subaru WRX-STI (2006 & 2015)

2. Nissan R34 Skyline (V-Spec II Nur & Z-Tune)

3. Acura/Honda NSX (1995)

4. Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series

5. Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon (2015)

6. C7 Corvette Z06

7. Ferrari F50

8. Toyota Supra (1996)

9. Nissan Fairlady Z Twin-Turbo (300ZX) (1996)

10. Lancia Delta S4

Currently I'm saving up cash for a 2004 Subaru Forester XT Turbo. Spacious and fast as fuck, especially with some STI parts.

​So many sweet rides, so many same car review videos we both watched. 

Also I might just say, if y'all gon add a list of good cars, ya gotta add some pic of each. Because it takes forever to look up lists on the Goog. 

• Like 1

Also I might just say, if y'all gon add a list of good cars, ya gotta add some pic of each. Because it takes forever to look up lists on the Goog. 

​Ugh fine

06' STI (nice custom version, love the widebody kit)

16428499411_044b3a6987_b.jpg

R34 V-Spec II 

U7SqC1f.jpg

NSX (current desktop wallpaper)

tWTM14T.jpg

SLS AMG Black Series (datass.jpg)

14690188240_bbe31b0d36_k.jpg 

E63 AMG (because sometimes I need to have space in the trunk)

uTuAnPx.jpg 

C7 Z06

bOceTOs.jpg 

F50 GT (ugly motherfucker but a favorite from NFS: HP as a kid)

MrfOdyb.jpg 

Supra (also ugly af but fast af)

L6BLshx.jpg

300ZX TT (dat blue exhaust tips doe)

7336709026_6e3338ac4c_k.jpg

Delta S4 (0-60 in 2.3 seconds on gravel) 

WJ5fc.jpg 

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

​Supra (also ugly af but fast af)

​Hush you self dat car is fab as fuck.

Look at those eyes. Those are happy eyes. That's a car that looks happy. That's a nice car.

• Like 1

• Owner/Technical Admin

This was my first car, a 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback.

31861400-2-440-overview-1.gif

It was totaled in 2012 when I was rear ended on the highway.

My current car is a 2011 Mazda 2.

2011_Mazda_Mazda2_Touring.jpg

Same color and everything. My first car was an automatic, this is a 5 speed and is fun to drive.

Someday I will own one of these.

82ta.jpg

@Infinity

​I'd blame GM being GM for that.  Though the Riviera of the latter year range was far from the worst looking car from that era out there IMO.  I like it for what it is.

​My dad still actually instinctively pulls at the wheel to the right at green lights, 35 years later. Then again, he has a lot of bizarre driving quirks (two feet in an automatic? two feet in an automatic) so w/e

Honestly, I still think GM's got a ways to go in styling. The Cadillacs are great, but the Chevy's are awfully nondescript and Buicks are...

2014-buick-encore-front-angle3_9146_089_

eughhhhhhhh

Also, the chunky body and tiny windows trend needs to die. And CUV's too. 

@Lonewolf

(sorry, didn't realize you'd mentioned me)

The EJ25D & EJ251 that've had the gasket issues got better factory gaskets later in their lives. Plus, that engine isn't in the 04' Forester that I'm looking at. I think the one in the 04' Forester XT Turbo is the EJ255. Same platform, 4 cylinder DOHC boxer with a turbo, something the EJ25D didn't have.

I know one person with what I assume is an EJ25D who literally said "I don't know why my car overheats, I know the mechanic told me to replace my gaskets or something but I can't afford it"

>you can't afford to replace the entire fucking block

>do your goddamn maintenence

Edited by LoneWolf

Someday I will own one of these.

82ta.jpg

seal-of-approval2.gif

​------

@Infinity

​The current Buick Regal GS (in the spoiler tag below) doesn't look all that bad IMO, but the fact that most of the current Buick lineup is comprised of rebadged Opels surely puts a damper on the styling to an extent.  I agree on the chunky body/horrendous visibility combination needing to hit the road though. 

2012_Buick_GS41.jpg

​------

@Lonewolf

​It's good to know that you haven't encountered the problem!  That one person isn't going to have a good time in the future, that's for sure.  Might be a candidate for r/justrolledintotheshop.  One of the main reasons that I haven't looked at Subarus is because most of the ones in my current price range are either pre-2004 models or afflicted with the aforementioned headgasket defect (and if they're pre-2004 they're likely saddled with headgasket issues from what I've read). 

I also see your 1990s 300ZX and raise you the first gen, mid 1980s 300ZX.

50thAE300ZX.JPG

As well as a 70s 280Z.

DSC00079.JPG

​------

One of my favorite cars has always been the '70-'79 Lincoln Continental.  Aside from it being massive, those hideaway headlights are awesome.

1973_Lincoln_Continental_Town_Car_571526

I also neglected to mention the 1977-1978 Plymouth Fury/Dodge Monaco and the 1967/1968 Plymouth Fury as being some of my favorites as well.

1977-fury-32-001.jpg

1968PlymouthFuryIII_01_700.jpg

Edited by OneUnder
Again, apologies for the "@" replying. Evidently editing my post deletes quoted ones which cannot be re-quoted...

The problem with the chunky body/tiny windows is that it's just terribly unsafe (and utterly hideous!), which is ironic because the whole point of it is to be safe in case of a roll-over (which is quite a problem with top-heavy cars and SUV's). I can't tell you how many times I've been nearly clipped in traffic by a car coming out of my gigantic blindspots. Not to mention, I live in a neighborhood with a rather large amount of little kids running around at pretty much all hours of the day, so there's always that mild fear in the back of my head whenever I back out of the driveway.

Lane-monitoring/backup cameras in new cars do sort of get around it and are actually pretty handy, but my MDX (and my mom's Beetle) don't have them. The Beetle and the old 750i don't/didn't need them because they're nearly panoramic thanks to their being low-slung with thin pillars (the Beetle being a convertible also helps). You'd also have to be driving nearly upside-down to flip either of them, too. 

Speaking of Buicks, I've been thinking of getting one of their products, but I can't bring myself to make the jump. Although I like the Enclave and the Encore, one is too big and the other one is too small. I hear that in China, they started selling something called the Buick Envision...

2015-buick-envision-21_600x0w.jpg

Obviously between the subcompact Encore and the full size Enclave. Like Goldilocks: just right. In Yurp, is going to be badged as the next Opel/Vauxhall Antara. As of the US, it's not so much about if as it is when it will reach American showrooms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however.

Also, seeing as China is where the Buick Verano originated (called the Buick Excelle), they've already reached the201531213027372-640x960.jpg second generation.