The SFO Car/Vehicle General Thread

Dr. Orange

On 1/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, Naza Sutera said:

How about a Honda S2k?

Actually I saw a silver one here and though hard. Maybe if the price is good. Idk if they came in V6s though.

12 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

Actually I saw a silver one here and though hard. Maybe if the price is good. Idk if they came in V6s though.

I think they only come with 4-cyl.

• 2 weeks later...

Ayyy I saw a V70R, I had 2, just sold one and whoevers interested I still have the 99 up for grabs,  but for now I just scooped up a 2004 SS Monte Carlo, doing a swap since the 3.8 is blown to a 5.3 out of an 06 SS. Currently it's fairly clean,  dual flow masters and long headers. 

IMG_20180205_103959.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone see the interior of the new Lincoln Continental?  The upper trim levels have a variety of colors to choose from, and the blue is beautiful!  I wish more car interiors had expanded color options these days. 

lincoln-continental-concept-112-876x535.

If they come in orange I'll be happy.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, I haven't really payed attention to Lincoln after the MKZ since I thought so lowly of it. The plastic looked cheap. Hopefully they put their best foot forward in the new models.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:39 PM, Dr. Orange said:

If they come in orange I'll be happy.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, I haven't really payed attention to Lincoln after the MKZ since I thought so lowly of it. The plastic looked cheap. Hopefully they put their best foot forward in the new models.

They seem to be doing so.  Check out the new Navigator.

2018-lincoln-navigation-extended-length-

2018-Lincoln-Navigator-L-Black-Label-122

• Owner/Technical Admin

Going to drop about $800 to replace the catalytic converter in my 2011 Mazda 2. The joys of living in an area where they use salt on the roads in the winter time.

Apparently, it's split and has to be replaced. So in the mean time, my vehicle is super loud. Waiting on the parts to come in now.

Just take your CatConv. out. I did since I need to redo that along with the exhaust pipes and man is it loud.

• Owner/Technical Admin

It's illegal in my state to modify the exhaust to be loud, intentional or not. So I have no choice to replace it. I put the deposit down on the part today and it should be here early next week so I can get it fixed. I have gotten used to my car being loud. 

Also doesn't help that my car won't pass inspection until it's fixed. It's not due until December but I want it done now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner/Technical Admin

So my car is finally fixed. Sounds normal again, maybe even quieter then before. 

Took the time today to replace my spark plugs. What a pain in the ass that is.

Basically had to remove the whole airbox to get to the iginition coils, which involved unplugging the ECU.

Note that this is a stock image and is not actually my car lol.

mazda-2-1.jpg

• Like 1

5aedd8af89273_DatDogeScharger.jpg.69b66e3c2e186ba4b8aa65488ff93fb1.jpg

"I am UAZ-469...and this, is my new weapon.

He weighs 1,780 kilograms and fires 193 gas fuelled horsepower at 4,800 rotations per minute.

It costs approximately 7,70 € to drive this weapon...for 100 kilometres..."

I...I did it.

12 years... 12 years I have waited and worked for this very moment.
This moment, where I can proudly say...

I have finally fulfilled my dream.
A dream, in the shape of a car.
A Dodge Charger.

So feel free and invited to join the car and me, grab the rum and celebrate this moment. :)

Apart from that:
It's unusual sitting in an "Executive car", which also has an automatic transmission. I feel like being a half meter too short and that I would steer a battleship. This boi offers so much space, that you can put your seat back and the passengers on the backseat still have more than enough room for their legs.
And the sound of the V6-engine is awesome!

Of course, US-Americans might not bat an eye on a Charger, as those are a common sight there, as far as I know. But here, in Germany?
Let me tell you, that you have a much, much higher chance of encountering Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis and other exotics than a Charger. So more of a collector's piece.
Fun fact: Mustangs and Dodge Rams are extremely popular and actually breeding like rabbits here. Not that it's a bad thing.

Let's face it: You don't buy a Charger because you want to drive economically, protect the environment, transport goods and visit customers as a sales representative, as there are way better cars for that. This one is, in fact, a roaring, vicious and hideous abomination in the disguise of a full-size car, which would rather destroy everything in its way instead of driving around every obstacle, since it possesses the elegance of an oil tanker.
No...
You get one, because for what it wants to be! Because you love it for his character! Like you marry another person for his/her inner values!
...not that I want to marry the car, but you get my point, I guess.

I for one will ask our beloved god tonight to bless the Charger's constructors and protect it's heart and soul.
'Til death do us part.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit...

Amen.

• Like 2

Congrats on the acquisition, and they're definitely a common sight in the states.  How accessible are parts and repairs over there? - was that generation of Charger ever sold domestically in Germany? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneUnder said:

Congrats on the acquisition, and they're definitely a common sight in the states.  How accessible are parts and repairs over there? - was that generation of Charger ever sold domestically in Germany? 

We have several car dealers here who specialize on US-imports and offer services for them. There are also some sellers on ebay, who sell spare parts for US-cars for reasonable prices. For example, a new pair of headlights for my model, which are in store and would be delivered in a few days, cost around 300,00 €.

That said, as far as I know, all Chargers here are imports and only available through those aforementioned US-importers, who mostly have a wide range of models, instead of larger quantities from only a few. So if they are sold out the question isn't "When will the next shipment of cars come?", but "Can you import one for me?"
Probably also the reason why the prices for good Chargers here start around 10.000,00 € (Mine was sold for 9.500,00), with 150.000 kilometres to boot and ten years old. As a rule of thumb, if you see one for, say, 5.000,00 €, chances are that it's either about to fall apart, or, more important, doesn't have German papers.

But seriously, considering that if you search for Chargers on Germany's largest website for buying and selling cars, you get less than 100 results currently, you really can't be selective. You either have to be extremely lucky or bite the bullet and pay a lot. And that's just for buying it.

I'll take a wild guess and assume now, that older Chargers in good condition in the US are basically sold for peanuts. But if you import one, you can put a few thousand bucks on it for customs duty, papers, and so on.

And with that, a question:

We were very surprised that this model apparently doesn't come with standard reversing lights, and that the lights behind the white glass under the brake lights are actually the indicators. As that wasn't allowed as well, the previous owners had to retrofit one. Looks weird and is hard to see, as it's small and more or less hidden under the rear bumper.

Is that normal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UAZ-469 said:

That sounds like quite the undertaking, and I'm glad you were able to get a hold of one in reasonable condition.  Hopefully it brings you many miles of enjoyment. :p

As for the reverse/brake light setup, that doesn't sound factory-spec at all.  The reverse lights should have been behind the white plastic section, and the turn signals should have been next to the primary taillight bulbs. 

THX 11-38, it's already fun to drive, although I find the automatic transmission to be annoying at times. :)

Also, it's very pleasant to see that he isn't that thirsty (Just a little bit more than the Caliber) and is a vegetarian. He drinks bio gas without throwing up (Exploding), which is also cheaper.

Unfortunately, looking at the defects and scratches, our little boy here seems to be neglected hard.

It had four previous owners, the cigarette lighter isn't working, buttons on the car keys are either malfunctioning, completely destroyed by being pushed through or missing and you can only open the trunk with your key, despite having a button for that in the cockpit. Before I bought him, he even had misted headlights (from behind - that's an absolute no-go in every inspection).
Also, the manual is missing as well and the lever to adjust your seat is only sporadically working.

For me, it looks like one of those "christmas-pets", which are first bought as a new "toy", but given away immediately once the owners get bored or the animal makes problems and then ends up to travel between (animal) homes frequently. :(

But with me, he will shine anew!

EDIT:

The indicators:

5aef527b46ff5_Back2.JPG.96e788ef15a041f821b60896a862fcdb.JPG

The reversing light:

5aef5293ae3ba_Back1.JPG.4f8081e5eede5e40d101ae9e6c48ddbf.JPG

Don't ask me how on earth this small thing could pass for an acceptable reversing light. Cars behind you can't even see that thing when they are too close or sitting too high!

If you wonder why the plate is crooked: Our plates are too large for US-Americans. :biggrin:

On 5/6/2018 at 5:29 AM, UAZ-469 said:

THX 11-38, it's already fun to drive, although I find the automatic transmission to be annoying at times. :)

Also, it's very pleasant to see that he isn't that thirsty (Just a little bit more than the Caliber) and is a vegetarian. He drinks bio gas without throwing up (Exploding), which is also cheaper.

Unfortunately, looking at the defects and scratches, our little boy here seems to be neglected hard.

It had four previous owners, the cigarette lighter isn't working, buttons on the car keys are either malfunctioning, completely destroyed by being pushed through or missing and you can only open the trunk with your key, despite having a button for that in the cockpit. Before I bought him, he even had misted headlights (from behind - that's an absolute no-go in every inspection).
Also, the manual is missing as well and the lever to adjust your seat is only sporadically working.

For me, it looks like one of those "christmas-pets", which are first bought as a new "toy", but given away immediately once the owners get bored or the animal makes problems and then ends up to travel between (animal) homes frequently. :(

But with me, he will shine anew!

EDIT:

The indicators:

5aef527b46ff5_Back2.JPG.96e788ef15a041f821b60896a862fcdb.JPG

The reversing light:

5aef5293ae3ba_Back1.JPG.4f8081e5eede5e40d101ae9e6c48ddbf.JPG

Don't ask me how on earth this small thing could pass for an acceptable reversing light. Cars behind you can't even see that thing when they are too close or sitting too high!

If you wonder why the plate is crooked: Our plates are too large for US-Americans. :biggrin:

The real question is did you get the 3.8L v6 or that sweet sweet 5.7L HEMI?

2 hours ago, Kurt said:

The real question is did you get the 3.8L v6 or that sweet sweet 5.7L HEMI?

It's the "small" 2.7L V6, the SE-model. There were even two SXT-models in my price range, but their sellers couldn't apparently be arsed to answer their phone and/or their e-mails.

But thinking about how expensive our gas is and the distance to my workplace, I'm actually glad to "just" have the SE. Otherwise, chances are that I would have to use every salary to just being able to pay the car's upkeep.

• 4 months later...

I have a fascination with cargo or passenger vans that are converted into pseudo campers.  R/vandwellers seems to be the best spot to see some of these projects, and they're quite impressive to say the very least!

fVselLn.jpg

mykewv50phv01.jpg

----

kq3hnd6jzzh01.jpg

On 5/3/2018 at 0:31 PM, Sideways said:

Basically had to remove the whole airbox to get to the iginition coils, which involved unplugging the ECU.

I ended up having to replace two of my ignition coils in the past few weeks, and I was pleasantly surprised with how straightforward the job was (start at 0:15 if the video doesn't auto-jump there).  There isn't all that much in the way in the engine bay of a Crown Vic.  (Though whoever put the oil filter in the spot it's in on the 4.6 V8 needs to have their head examined. 

(Not my photo.)

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCt_OSUrT-M&t=0m15s

• Owner/Technical Admin

I just installed a short throw kit and new shifter bushings on my car.  Much sportier drive now.

• 2 weeks later...

Legit I'd give up my Tib to do a house car. Like If there was a way to setup constant wifi and somehow have a viable living style in one.

Be sweet as heck.

• 3 weeks later...

Allow me to introduce a "Why the hell not" build. 

I call it Satan. 

It started as a bare 2 stroke 50 VC scooter I bought for a hundie, why not little inbetween project. 

Now it's an abomination. 

I bumped it to a 180cc, nothing major,  new exhaust, weights,  piston, clutch etc. And to top it off, I bought a N02 kit. Why not. So when this abomination is finished I'll post the final product, that is if it doesn't detonate like a bomb when I start it. 

IMG_8841.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck, and be sure to wear a helmet and some decent riding gear once you get that thing going.  I can imagine that it'll take off like a shot at a moment's request once complete! 

I'm looking forward to Honda's US re-release of the Super Cub.  I just wish it had those classic spoke wheels (see the below photo) direct from the factory.

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/super-cub-c125-abs.aspx

2018-Honda-Super-Cub-10-630x469.jpg