The SFO Car/Vehicle General Thread

Dr. Orange

I also see your 1990s 300ZX and raise you the first gen, mid 1980s 300ZX.

As well as a 70s 280Z.

​As much as I like the 80's Z, I love the understated look of the 90's one way more, especially on the interior:

300zx-interior-615.jpg

Those 280Zs are sexy as fuck though, especially swapping for an LS1.

​As much as I like the 80's Z, I love the understated look of the 90's one way more, especially on the interior:

Those 280Zs are sexy as fuck though, especially swapping for an LS1.

The 1990s 300ZX is a car that holds up remarkably, both aesthetically and mechanically, today.  I can't help but to love the early 80s iteration more though; the stark lines, pop-up headlights, and its interior (with the digital dash) take the cake for me.  As opposed to the more subdued nature of the interior from the 90s, the 80s alternative has gauges, switches, and buttons as far as the eyes can see.  It's like a spaceship in there! :P

5.jpg

Edited by OneUnder
  • Like 1

We need some XJ6/XJ8 love around here

Jaguar_XJ6_--_09-07-2009.jpg

8746._V192203795_.jpg

jaguar_xj6_40.jpg

57302657.jpg

112_0409_35z%2B2004_jaguar_xj8_vanden_pl

Frankly, one of the most beautiful (and longest lasting-basically 1968 to 2010) car designs period.

Edited by InfinitySquared
  • Like 1

>>>Jaguar

​How do touch those things? Inside style sublime but dem engines. When they break they break bad and they break often.

• Like 1

​How do touch those things? Inside style sublime but dem engines. When they break they break bad and they break often.

​0-60 in 40 years too. Older jags have a tendency to suck on the performance front, unless you're looking at stuff like the XJ220. Shit's fast as fuck and looks like a spaceship:

Jaguar_XJ220_Front_JagMENA.jpg

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here, since it sums up old Jag's pretty well.

But bad experiences and hearsay can foul one's opinion for years to come. Everyone on my dad's side of the family was always a teeny bit nervous when my grandfather had a Bentley Arnage (IIRC) back in the 2000's, because he had a Bentley back in the '70s that basically exploded into a fireball in the driveway thanks to shoddy wiring. Even though the new Bentley was a perfectly fine car, you'll never shake off shit like that. Just like how my dad will probably never buy a Buick or any other GM product thanks to that shitty '70s Riviera. 

Strangely, all the Jags my family's owned have been pretty damn solid cars afaict.

• Like 3

I'm not going to deny, Jags are cool and they're solid ... but they break too. I mean in Detroit the roads are so shitty that car suspensions get wrecked all the time. I'm paying for a Jag, not paying for the repairs. 

That and the only reasons people get Jags are because

1. They have the cash and want to be seen in it.
  2. They can afford the repairs
  3. They're British and on Top Gear
  • Like 1

They're British and on Top Gear

I kek'd

So I don't own a car. I drive my parents' when I'm home, but parking is way too expensive in college. I've got a job lined up that might be able to pay for parking next year, but in the meantime I've got this:

wE0OrvE.jpg

She ain't much, but she's fun. Investment of about $1150 ($950 plus $200 replacing the speedometer and getting the carb redone and a few other things) 128 MPG, top speed 40MPH. I'm 6' and 175 lbs of pure edgy.

literally me every day

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 2

​ top speed 40MPH. I'm 6' and 175 lbs of pure edgy.

literally me every day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Edited by Dr. Orange
I give up BBCode was better
  • Like 2

So my brother just found an uber-low mileage (30k) version of our old BMW on eBay. To see (basically) the same car but without the ass-marks, mysterious stains, or faded/cracked wood is just...odd really. I have to wonder what happened for the car in that auction to have just 30k miles after 15 years. Even if you're a little old southern lady who only drove to church and the grocery store once a week, both only a block or two away, you'd have racked up way more miles than that by now. Or maybe the owner(s) were so proud of it that they barely ever drove it?

It kinda makes me wonder why car collectors value low-mileage so much. I can see why it's important in exotic cars like Ferraris and Lamborghinis where the engine literally falls apart at 60k, but this is a pretty ordinary and durable, albeit quite upscale, family sedan. We got a good 16 years and ~180k miles out of ours. It just seems silly, really.

In case the ad gets pulled or god forbid someone actually blows $20k on it

blRWzET.jpg

SpTNIvy.jpg

Those late model Aleros were relatively decent cars from what I recall in terms of issues (they weren't falling apart as badly as some of the other GM cars made at the time), and they didn't suffer the horrendous badge engineering that GM pulled with the rest of Oldsmobile's lineup before putting the poor marque out of its misery.  I would love to see some photos, and must advise you that attempting to put new "breaks" on your car might be problematic. :P

​Imma oblige this with help of Summer months and yes.

RxqbONy.jpg

dis my bby.

Imma add brakes, air filter, and a lot of other cool shit to mock the people driving Corvettes and Lincolns. 

yeeee

We need some XJ6/XJ8 love around here

​One of my favorite Jags of all time, largely because of the consistent styling over the years.  It's understated, but classy all the while.  Maintenance costs aside, of course.

----

​The earlier models with the flat-bottomed headlights look a little bit better IMO.

----

thumbs-aloft.gif

Consider me a fan.  It's got just the right amount of utilitarianism mixed with 90s plastic cladding. :P

• Like 1

RxqbONy.jpg

dis my bby.

Imma add brakes, air filter, and a lot of other cool shit to mock the people driving Corvettes and Lincolns. 

yeeee

​Isn't it the most sick'ning thing you ever did see?

• Like 1

​Isn't it the most sick'ning thing you ever did see?

​I cannot tell if this is a complement or an insult.

If complement "danks homie"

If it's an insult "Imma cut you."

Saw this $160k Maserati GT in the student lot today, as I was driving by in my $23k Acura MDX

WTyjoe8.jpg?1

#.01%lyfe

• Like 1

Saw this $160k Maserati GT in the student lot today, as I was driving by in my $23k Acura MDX

​I'm more intrigued by the red pickup sitting to the left of it.  By the looks of where the front turn indicator and front bumper are, I'd like to guess that it's a '80-'97 Nissan Hardbody Pickup, with the later year range being more likely due to the redesigned front fascia.

The small pickup segment isn't what it used to be.  Gone are the days of the light, cheap work pickup truck that could be had with manual or automatic, and that's a shame.

NISSAN_HARDBODY_db0c83f2745ac55dea52.jpg

53225399.jpg

---

Anyone here a fan of crank/manual windows while I'm on the subject of stripped down and/or base model automobiles?  Aside from their novelty, I always appreciated the fact that you'd never have to go and hunt down a window regulator switch or motor for them since they're significantly less complex than their electronic counterparts.

Edited by OneUnder

WTyjoe8.jpg?1

#.01%lyfe

​Baby, please!! Where the hell do you live to where teenagers drive around sportscars whose prices you can buy a house with?!

​I'm more intrigued by the red pickup sitting to the left of it.  By the looks of where the front turn indicator and front bumper are, I'd like to guess that it's a '80-'97 Nissan Hardbody Pickup, with the later year range being more likely due to the redesigned front fascia.

The small pickup segment isn't what it used to be.  Gone are the days of the light, cheap work pickup truck that could be had with manual or automatic, and that's a shame.

NISSAN_HARDBODY_db0c83f2745ac55dea52.jpg

53225399.jpg

---

Anyone here a fan of crank/manual windows while I'm on the subject of stripped down and/or base model automobiles?  Aside from their novelty, I always appreciated the fact that you'd never have to go and hunt down a window regulator switch or motor for them since they're significantly less complex than their electronic counterparts.

​Its cute. Has that "old car" look (well duh, considering its an old car.) I wonder, has this truck ever come in a crew cab set-up?

• Like 1

​Baby, please!! Where the hell do you live to where teenagers drive around sportscars whose prices you can buy a house with?!

​Its cute. Has that "old car" look (well duh, considering its an old car.) I wonder, has this truck ever come in a crew cab set-up?

​Seconded on both of those points.  The Hardbody has a hardy, capable look to it, and they managed to make it look pretty good all the while.  Here's a good read on one that's basically a time capsule, as anyone not driving these trucks into the ground is almost unheard of. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/14k-mile-1990-nissan-hardbody-is-an-unlikely-time-capsule/#image-1

The Hardbody did have a crew cab configuration, but I'm not sure if they were ever manufactured in or imported to the US.  I've seen plenty of the two door versions over the years, and versions with an extended cab and half-doors with seats behind the main two doors, but never a four door.  The crew cab below has a license plate marked Chile, for example.

nissan_24834.jpg?i

[v Extended cab model available alongside the 2-door in the US]

26273173.jpg

---

The first-gen Nissan Frontier that replaced the Hardbody did have a regular/crew cab setup though.  I don't like the Frontier as much as the old Hardbody, but the first gen wasn't too bad.

30266450005_large.jpg

?IMG=CAB00NIT122A1101.png&WIDTH=624&HEIG

Edited by OneUnder

​Seconded on both of those points.  The Hardbody has a hardy, capable look to it, and they managed to make it look pretty good all the while.  Here's a good read on one that's basically a time capsule, as anyone not driving these trucks into the ground is almost unheard of. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/14k-mile-1990-nissan-hardbody-is-an-unlikely-time-capsule/#image-1

The Hardbody did have a crew cab configuration, but I'm not sure if they were ever manufactured in or imported to the US.  I've seen plenty of the two door versions over the years, and versions with an extended cab and half-doors with seats behind the main two doors, but never a four door.  The crew cab below has a license plate marked Chile, for example.

nissan_24834.jpg?i

[v Extended cab model available alongside the 2-door in the US]

26273173.jpg

---

The first-gen Nissan Frontier that replaced the Hardbody did have a regular/crew cab setup though.  I don't like the Frontier as much as the old Hardbody, but the first gen wasn't too bad.

30266450005_large.jpg

?IMG=CAB00NIT122A1101.png&WIDTH=624&HEIG

As much as I appreciate the cutting edge styling of newer vehicles, I can never let go of the boxy and/or "switchblade" styling of Asian products from yesteryear. I really do like the Hardbody's modest look. If only I could get a crew cab, then we would be good to go.

And speaking of pickup trucks, I wonder why the US market stopped doing the compact pick-up situation. Now it mostly consists of the mid-size like the Shevvy Colorado and the Gee Em See Canyon. Is the US Market car-ist against small pickup now?

And also, while doing this post, I started feeling myself to where I decided to google "BMW Pickup" just to see what would pop up. I came across this BMW 3-Series Coop with the back lopped off and turned into a flatbed. Probably a custom job and not all that cute in my opinion...

bmw-m3-pickup-04-750x497.jpgbmw-m3-pickup-07-750x499.jpg

Then I came across an artist's rendering of a possible Mercedes-Benz pick-up...

150327115528-mercedes-pickup-truck-780x4

IMO, better looking than that ugly BMW thing. But if this comes to fruition, I could bet that rap moguls would buy them and outfit them with 20-inch rims and pump bad rap music out the speakers with the windows down and the bass and volume at max.

Dingdingding! That's actually my other friend's truck (aforementioned Mas owner is actually someone who holds a grudge against me for an incident in 7th grade). Haven't asked him, but I think it's a '94? It's pretty much the only non-lifted penis-extension truck in the lot, so it's easy to spot. 

Oddly enough, apparently Maserati Boy's dad works at my dad's company (my dad being the VP, his dad being some director/manager person). IDK if he's still there though. I doubt it.

DC, where the cheapest place'll run you about $350k minimum. $160k is like, a tad more than the median income for my town. And the kid also owns, IIRC, a Jaguar, a Mercedes, and a Tesla. And lives literally a mile from the school. #.000001%lyfe

• Like 1

DC, where the cheapest place'll run you about $350k minimum. $160k is like, a tad more than the median income for my town. And the kid also owns, IIRC, a Jaguar, a Mercedes, and a Tesla. And lives literally a mile from the school. #.000001%lyfe

​Well, I'mma damnit go up to Dee See and flat all they tires out of spite.
#momoneymoproblems

The traffic takes care of that already

104603d1355031560-worst-beltway-during-r

300px-I-66_traffic.JPG

13.jpg

37392d1236312412-nova-most-unfriendly-av

​At my public university I've seen:

• GTR R35 (non-NISMO) w/ widebody kit and some really dank looking drag spoiler
  • Another R35 but stock
  • Lamborghini Aventador, some orange color. Sounded bone-stock.
  • Audi R8 V10, prolly 2011.
  • Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli S
  • Various AMG Mercs and S-Class
  • Some mirror finish gold BMW 7 series. Like, pimpin Saint's Row type shit.

Most of these cars are owned by wealthy international students, primarily Chinese students. Ownership of expensive cars is a huge dick measuring contest for wealthy Chinese families, and I know at least elsewhere it's resulted in some pretty nice cars getting wrecked. Kind of sad.

• Like 1

Similar thing in the subs of Detroit. We have a Ferrari dealership here. A Maz dealership here, an a huge collection of corvettes, Merz, Hyundai, Lincoln. Shits cray cray. Went in to fix my mirror once and there was a 1986 Lamborghini in the shop. And like Lone said, it's a penis contest ehere the cars are the dicks and the dicks are in the cats ... usually.